Não é mais possível fazer postagens ou usar assinaturas novas da Usenet nos Grupos do Google. O conteúdo histórico continua disponível.

Stark Wreck

188 visualizações
Pular para a primeira mensagem não lida

Joe Chicago

não lida,
8 de nov. de 2013, 01:09:1008/11/2013
para
I just found a YouTube thing called Star Wreck, an Eastern European spoof on both ST:TNG and Bab 5. Fairly amusing. They even made a point of having Garabaldi put his hands in his pockets!

Also, found a movie called Moon Trap with Walter Koenig and Bruce Campbell.

- Joe C

John W. Kennedy

não lida,
12 de nov. de 2013, 13:42:3012/11/2013
para
On Friday, November 8, 2013 1:09:10 AM UTC-5, Joe Chicago wrote:
> I just found a YouTube thing called Star Wreck, an Eastern European spoof on both ST:TNG and Bab 5. Fairly amusing. They even made a point of having Garabaldi put his hands in his pockets!

Although Finland is in Europe and is eastern, it is not generally regarded as "Eastern Europe", as it was never part of the Byzantine Empire, is not Eastern Orthodox, has never been Turkic or Islamic, is not Slavic, and was never a component or satellite of the Soviet Union.

"Star Wreck: In the Pirkinning", the one you saw, is actually the seventh in the series, but it is vastly more popular than the others. In fact, it is arguably the most successful movie ever made in Finland.

Blair Leatherwood

não lida,
12 de nov. de 2013, 14:20:2312/11/2013
para
On 11/12/13, 10:42 AM, John W. Kennedy wrote:
> On Friday, November 8, 2013 1:09:10 AM UTC-5, Joe Chicago wrote:
>> I just found a YouTube thing called Star Wreck, an Eastern European spoof on both ST:TNG and Bab 5. Fairly amusing. They even made a point of having Garabaldi put his hands in his pockets!
>
> Although Finland is in Europe and is eastern, it is not generally regarded as "Eastern Europe", as it was never part of the Byzantine Empire, is not Eastern Orthodox, has never been Turkic or Islamic, is not Slavic, and was never a component or satellite of the Soviet Union.

Not only that, it's not usually considered Scandinavia--huge debate on
that one, but I'm on the "it's not Scandinavian" side.

Poor Finland. I think the only reason it exists is to have a language
in which to dump all the consonants no one else uses.

Blair

Adam H. Kerman

não lida,
12 de nov. de 2013, 15:03:5312/11/2013
para
John W. Kennedy <John.W....@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Friday, November 8, 2013 1:09:10 AM UTC-5, Joe Chicago wrote:

>>I just found a YouTube thing called Star Wreck, an Eastern European
>>spoof on both ST:TNG and Bab 5. Fairly amusing. They even made a point
>>of having Garabaldi put his hands in his pockets!

>Although Finland is in Europe and is eastern, it is not generally
>regarded as "Eastern Europe", as it was never part of the Byzantine
>Empire, is not Eastern Orthodox, has never been Turkic or Islamic, is
>not Slavic, and was never a component or satellite of the Soviet Union.

Finland was part of Sweden for seven centuries, and then part of Russia for
around a century till the Russian Revolution. Bolshevics tried to keep
Finland in Russia but didn't succeed, due in part to German support for
independence. During WWII, Finland fought Russia for several years.

Post-war, Finland secured its independence with a tenuous relationship with
Soviet Union in which they avoided pursuing certain aspects of foreign
relations expected to displease Russia. Obviously, Finland never joined NATO,
which undoubtably would have been considered provocative enough by Russia
that it would have conquered it again.

I disagree with some of your remarks about Finland's independence.

Elko T

não lida,
12 de nov. de 2013, 15:07:4312/11/2013
para
Blair Leatherwood wrote:
> On 11/12/13, 10:42 AM, John W. Kennedy wrote:
>> On Friday, November 8, 2013 1:09:10 AM UTC-5, Joe Chicago wrote:
>>> I just found a YouTube thing called Star Wreck, an Eastern European
>>> spoof on both ST:TNG and Bab 5. Fairly amusing. They even made a
>>> point of having Garabaldi put his hands in his pockets!
>>
>> Although Finland is in Europe and is eastern, it is not generally
>> regarded as "Eastern Europe", as it was never part of the Byzantine
>> Empire, is not Eastern Orthodox, has never been Turkic or Islamic, is
>> not Slavic, and was never a component or satellite of the Soviet Union.

Hmmm. It /was/ part of the Russian Empire for over 100 years, and the second
largest religious denomination is the Eastern Orthodox. As for the rest, true.

> Not only that, it's not usually considered Scandinavia--huge debate on
> that one, but I'm on the "it's not Scandinavian" side.

That depends on where one studied geography. We had the same discussion in
rec.sport.soccer. Some learn that the Scandinavian peninsula starts up at the
north kink. I, however, learned it as the "Scandinavian Tiger". (You can picture
it as a big cat form, Finland and parts of Russia being the hind legs and the tail.)

> Poor Finland. I think the only reason it exists is to have a language
> in which to dump all the consonants no one else uses.

What about Georgia, then? :)

--
No, no, you can't e-mail me with the nono.

Nicole Massey

não lida,
12 de nov. de 2013, 15:15:3212/11/2013
para

"Elko T" <nono.bl...@gmail.com> wrote in message
And Wales, too. There's the old joke about a Wheel of Fortune puzzle where
the topic is Welsh place names and the contestant loses control of the wheel
because he asks to buy a vowel.

Kurt Ullman

não lida,
12 de nov. de 2013, 17:44:3112/11/2013
para
In article <l5u29j$lor$1...@news.albasani.net>,
"Nicole Massey" <ny...@gypsyheir.com> wrote:

> And Wales, too. There's the old joke about a Wheel of Fortune puzzle where
> the topic is Welsh place names and the contestant loses control of the wheel
> because he asks to buy a vowel.
I watched the Finnish version of WHeel a few years ago. That was a
rather strange occurance.
--
³Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive,
but what they conceal is vital.²

Joe Chicago

não lida,
15 de nov. de 2013, 15:02:5915/11/2013
para
Thanks for all the replies.

I was guessing on the language, never having heard Finnish before.

All I know about Finnish is that it is supposedly highly inflected, with 14 cases, which are a function of things like the gender of the person you're talking to.

Did used to know a guy who did Finnish genealogies in Salt Lake City.

mannerism were really quite good, except that they missed the fact that Bester always held one hand in a fist, from a trauma earlier in his life covered by one of the "canonical" works of fiction.

- Joe Chicasgo

Jeffrey Kaplan

não lida,
17 de nov. de 2013, 15:35:3317/11/2013
para
Previously on rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated, Blair Leatherwood
said:

> Poor Finland. I think the only reason it exists is to have a language
> in which to dump all the consonants no one else uses.

I beg to differ. Finland had, for a while, the world's top mobile
phone maker. Also some of THE best snow tires on the planet.

Then there's this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNr3nK_bvKQ

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org
Double ROT13 encoded for your protection

Peter's Top 100 Things I'd Do If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord, #145.
My dungeon cell decor will not feature exposed pipes. While they add
to the gloomy atmosphere, they are good conductors of vibrations and a
lot of prisoners know Morse code.

Virgo Pärna

não lida,
18 de nov. de 2013, 12:17:0018/11/2013
para
On Fri, 15 Nov 2013 12:02:59 -0800 (PST), Joe Chicago <levdt...@mac.com> wrote:

> All I know about Finnish is that it is supposedly highly inflected, with 14 cases,

15, not 14. Estonian has 14 cases.

> which are a function of things like the gender of the person you're talking to.

What gender? Gender is irrelevant.

--
Virgo Pärna
virgo...@mail.ee

Henrik Herranen

não lida,
24 de nov. de 2013, 03:43:5424/11/2013
para
Blair Leatherwood <bleath...@comcast.net> writes:
> Poor Finland. I think the only reason it exists is to have a language
> in which to dump all the consonants no one else uses.

Finnish is the language with perhaps the largest percentage of vowels
of any written language, so I don't understand what you are trying to
say. It's the completely unrelated Slavic languages that can have up
to 5-6 consonants in a row.

But yes, "Star Wreck: In the Pirkinning" is very funny and highly
recommended material for Star Trek and/or Babylon 5 fans. It's funny
and entertaining.

(One of the little tidbits of how well though-out the film is:
both Mr. Fukov (parody of Mr. Chekov from Star Trek) and Fester-Bester
(Bester from B5) are portrayed by the same guy, Janos Honkanen. As we
all know, ST's Chekov and B5's Bester are portrayed by the same guy,
Walter Koenig. Got a big chuckle when I realized why Janos had a
double role.

Kind regards,
- Henrik

--
Good signatures never die, they just fade away

Amy Guskin

não lida,
4 de dez. de 2013, 15:20:5204/12/2013
para
>> On Sun, 24 Nov 2013 03:43:54 -0500, Henrik Herranen wrote
(in article <vmy8uwegp...@coffee.modeemi.fi>):
That's a great tip. I haven't watched this in years, but this is a reason to

Amy

--
Diligent Moderatrix

Joe Osman

não lida,
3 de fev. de 2014, 11:14:4403/02/2014
para
Reminds me of the joke where Vanna White is asked her favorite consonant to which she replies "Australia".

Joe

Joe Osman

não lida,
3 de fev. de 2014, 11:16:4403/02/2014
para
My Russian teacher in college told us that no one speaks Finnish. The Finns make it up as thay go along.

Joe

ne...@news.bbs.geek.nz

não lida,
14 de jun. de 2016, 20:33:5414/06/2016
para
From: "Adam H. Kerman" <a...@chinet.com>

John W. Kennedy <John.W....@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Friday, November 8, 2013 1:09:10 AM UTC-5, Joe Chicago wrote:

>>I just found a YouTube thing called Star Wreck, an Eastern European
>>spoof on both ST:TNG and Bab 5. Fairly amusing. They even made a point
>>of having Garabaldi put his hands in his pockets!

>Although Finland is in Europe and is eastern, it is not generally
>regarded as "Eastern Europe", as it was never part of the Byzantine
>Empire, is not Eastern Orthodox, has never been Turkic or Islamic, is
>not Slavic, and was never a component or satellite of the Soviet Union.

ne...@news.bbs.geek.nz

não lida,
14 de jun. de 2016, 20:34:3714/06/2016
para
From: Joe Chicago <levdt...@mac.com>

Thanks for all the replies.

I was guessing on the language, never having heard Finnish before.

All I know about Finnish is that it is supposedly highly inflected, with 14
cases, which are a function of things like the gender of the person you're
talking to.

ne...@news.bbs.geek.nz

não lida,
14 de jun. de 2016, 20:36:1614/06/2016
para
From: Kurt Ullman <kurtu...@yahoo.com>

ne...@news.bbs.geek.nz

não lida,
14 de jun. de 2016, 20:37:0214/06/2016
para
From: Jeffrey Kaplan <gor...@gordol.org>

said:

> Poor Finland. I think the only reason it exists is to have a language
> in which to dump all the consonants no one else uses.

ne...@news.bbs.geek.nz

não lida,
14 de jun. de 2016, 20:39:0514/06/2016
para
From: Blair Leatherwood <bleath...@comcast.net>

On 11/12/13, 10:42 AM, John W. Kennedy wrote:
> On Friday, November 8, 2013 1:09:10 AM UTC-5, Joe Chicago wrote:
>> I just found a YouTube thing called Star Wreck, an Eastern European spoof on
both ST:TNG and Bab 5. Fairly amusing. They even made a point of having
Garabaldi put his hands in his pockets!

> Although Finland is in Europe and is eastern, it is not generally regarded as
"Eastern Europe", as it was never part of the Byzantine Empire, is not Eastern
Orthodox, has never been Turkic or Islamic, is not Slavic, and was never a
component or satellite of the Soviet Union.

Not only that, it's not usually considered Scandinavia--huge debate on
that one, but I'm on the "it's not Scandinavian" side.

Poor Finland. I think the only reason it exists is to have a language
in which to dump all the consonants no one else uses.

Blair

ne...@news.bbs.geek.nz

não lida,
14 de jun. de 2016, 20:39:2114/06/2016
para
From: Elko T <nono.bl...@gmail.com>

Blair Leatherwood wrote:
> On 11/12/13, 10:42 AM, John W. Kennedy wrote:
>> On Friday, November 8, 2013 1:09:10 AM UTC-5, Joe Chicago wrote:
>>> I just found a YouTube thing called Star Wreck, an Eastern European
>>> spoof on both ST:TNG and Bab 5. Fairly amusing. They even made a
>>> point of having Garabaldi put his hands in his pockets!
>>
>> Although Finland is in Europe and is eastern, it is not generally
>> regarded as "Eastern Europe", as it was never part of the Byzantine
>> Empire, is not Eastern Orthodox, has never been Turkic or Islamic, is
>> not Slavic, and was never a component or satellite of the Soviet Union.

Hmmm. It /was/ part of the Russian Empire for over 100 years, and the second

largest religious denomination is the Eastern Orthodox. As for the rest, true.

> Not only that, it's not usually considered Scandinavia--huge debate on
> that one, but I'm on the "it's not Scandinavian" side.

That depends on where one studied geography. We had the same discussion in
rec.sport.soccer. Some learn that the Scandinavian peninsula starts up at the
north kink. I, however, learned it as the "Scandinavian Tiger". (You can
picture
it as a big cat form, Finland and parts of Russia being the hind legs and the
tail.)

> Poor Finland. I think the only reason it exists is to have a language
> in which to dump all the consonants no one else uses.

What about Georgia, then? :)

ne...@news.bbs.geek.nz

não lida,
14 de jun. de 2016, 20:39:3914/06/2016
para
From: "John W. Kennedy" <John.W....@gmail.com>

On Friday, November 8, 2013 1:09:10 AM UTC-5, Joe Chicago wrote:
> I just found a YouTube thing called Star Wreck, an Eastern European spoof on
both ST:TNG and Bab 5. Fairly amusing. They even made a point of having
Garabaldi put his hands in his pockets!

Although Finland is in Europe and is eastern, it is not generally regarded as
"Eastern Europe", as it was never part of the Byzantine Empire, is not Eastern
Orthodox, has never been Turkic or Islamic, is not Slavic, and was never a
component or satellite of the Soviet Union.

ne...@news.bbs.geek.nz

não lida,
14 de jun. de 2016, 20:42:1614/06/2016
para
From: Amy Guskin <ais...@fjordstone.com>

>> On Sun, 24 Nov 2013 03:43:54 -0500, Henrik Herranen wrote
(in article <vmy8uwegp...@coffee.modeemi.fi>):

> Blair Leatherwood <bleath...@comcast.net> writes:
>> Poor Finland. I think the only reason it exists is to have a language
>> in which to dump all the consonants no one else uses.

ne...@news.bbs.geek.nz

não lida,
14 de jun. de 2016, 20:42:5914/06/2016
para
From: "Nicole Massey" <ny...@gypsyheir.com>

"Elko T" <nono.bl...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Blair Leatherwood wrote:
>>>
>>> Although Finland is in Europe and is eastern, it is not generally
>>> regarded as "Eastern Europe", as it was never part of the Byzantine
>>> Empire, is not Eastern Orthodox, has never been Turkic or Islamic, is
>>> not Slavic, and was never a component or satellite of the Soviet Union.
>
> Hmmm. It /was/ part of the Russian Empire for over 100 years, and the
> second largest religious denomination is the Eastern Orthodox. As for the
> rest, true.
>

>> Not only that, it's not usually considered Scandinavia--huge debate on
>> that one, but I'm on the "it's not Scandinavian" side.
>
> That depends on where one studied geography. We had the same discussion
> in rec.sport.soccer. Some learn that the Scandinavian peninsula starts up
> at the north kink. I, however, learned it as the "Scandinavian Tiger".
> (You can picture it as a big cat form, Finland and parts of Russia being
> the hind legs and the tail.)
>

>> Poor Finland. I think the only reason it exists is to have a language in
>> which to dump all the consonants no one else uses.
>
> What about Georgia, then? :)

Virgo P?rna

não lida,
20 de jun. de 2016, 12:04:0420/06/2016
para
On Wed, 15 Jun 2016 04:04:08 +1000, ne...@news.bbs.geek.nz <ne...@news.bbs.geek.nz> wrote:

> All I know about Finnish is that it is supposedly highly inflected, with 14

15. Estonian has 14.

> cases, which are a function of things like the gender of the person you're
> talking to.

Gender? Cases got nothing to do with gender - they are replacements for
prepositions and postpositions.

--
Virgo Prna
virgo...@mail.ee

John W Kennedy

não lida,
20 de jun. de 2016, 23:59:1320/06/2016
para
The word "postposition" is not used in traditional English grammar, so
most English monoglots are unacquainted with it.

--
John W Kennedy
"The blind rulers of Logres

0 nova mensagem