Re: Skywatch Game - Revived!

Stefan

Nov 15, 2008, 1:31:20 PM11/15/08
On 10 Jun., 03:59, Jan <janmschroe...@aol.com> wrote:
> In article <MPG.22b78c0275484ba0989...@news.west.earthlink.net>, Kay Shapero
> says...
> >In article <g2gtlm01...@drn.newsguy.com>, janmschroe...@aol.com says...

> >> First, here's the updated list. As you can see, y'all need to update your
> >> guesses.
>
> >> 06/14/08... TV Series... Dennis
> >> 06/19/08... D2DVD movie... Grandpa Garibaldi
> >> 07/29/08... DVD Release...Wes Struebing
> >> 08/02/08... D2DVD movie... Stefan
> >> 09/21/08... Star Wars TV Series... Dan Dassow
> >> 1/1/2019... Swedish "Meatballs" remake... Duggy
>
> >11/28/2008 - TV Series Kay Shapero
>
> November 28 this year for a TV Series is all yours, Kay!
>
> Jan

Hi Jan + All!
There is only Kay's guess remaining in the pipe(*).
Now did the <<guessing game>> fade away silently or is
it only out of sight?

In the latter I wouldn't hesitate to guess anew.
Stefan

(*) Okay then: Duggy's "Meatballs" short
before the sun goes Supernova.

--
The very best TV-SF-Series ever:
Babylon5, Firefly, Stargate,

mpvork...@hotmail.com

Nov 15, 2008, 10:52:48 PM11/15/08
> Star Trek - Pure alphabetically order ;-)- Hide quoted text -

What're we on about here?

Mike

Duggy

Nov 15, 2008, 11:51:54 PM11/15/08
On Nov 16, 4:31 am, Stefan <colj...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> (*) Okay then: Duggy's "Meatballs" short
> before the sun goes Supernova.

Did I say "before"... I meant "after"...

So, obviously, before he get to The Brave & The Bold.

===
= DUG.
===

Stefan

Nov 16, 2008, 10:25:19 AM11/16/08

Made my day. :-)

Stefan

Stefan

Nov 16, 2008, 10:37:51 AM11/16/08

> What're we on about here?

Hi Mike!
Take a look at
Msg-ID: <fc3e9...@drn.newsguy.com>
and further renewals...

Stefan

mpvork...@hotmail.com

Nov 16, 2008, 3:39:17 PM11/16/08
> Msg-ID: <fc3e9u0...@drn.newsguy.com>

> and further renewals...
>
> Stefan
>
> --
> The very best TV-SF-Series ever:
> Babylon5, Firefly, Stargate,
> Star Trek - Pure alphabetically order ;-)- Hide quoted text -

I tried. Couldn't get to it. I take it that this is a pool of some
sort?

Mike

mpvork...@hotmail.com

Nov 16, 2008, 3:48:34 PM11/16/08
> Mike- Hide quoted text -

Found it. Okay. Makes sense now.

Stefan, I've known Joe in passing for 22 years. I gave up long ago
trying to figure out what he's gonna do next.

I don't see a tv series. I do see an Oscar nom, possibly a win. And
possibly a script for Avengers. That last one is iffy, though.

Mike

Elko T

Nov 16, 2008, 8:47:50 PM11/16/08
mpvork...@hotmail.com wrote:

> Found it. Okay. Makes sense now.
>
> Stefan, I've known Joe in passing for 22 years. I gave up long ago
> trying to figure out what he's gonna do next.

Just curious here - is there anybody that you don't know? :)

Amy Guskin

Nov 16, 2008, 9:26:20 PM11/16/08
>> On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 15:48:34 -0500, thus spake mpvork...@hotmail.com (in
article <5c9a28fb-2a93-45ea...@q30g2000prq.googlegroups.com>):

It's a game. Some people find it pleasant to pass the time between JMS
projects trying to guess what he might do next, and when. And Jan, uber-fan
and kindest soul that she is, has organized it into a game. She keeps track
of peoples' guesses, and awards small B5 prizes from time to time.

It's meant to be fun. Not highly reality-based. Our little fannish version
of Powerball.

Amy
--
"This is our chance to answer that call. This is our moment. This is our time
- to put our people back to work and open doors of opportunity for our kids;

Dan Dassow

Nov 16, 2008, 11:05:12 PM11/16/08
On Nov 16, 8:26 pm, Amy Guskin <aisl...@fjordstone.com> wrote:
> >> On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 15:48:34 -0500, thus spake mpvorkosi...@hotmail.com (in
>
> article <5c9a28fb-2a93-45ea-8e9a-a32f5e775...@q30g2000prq.googlegroups.com>):

Powerball, blech! Our Skywatch prognosticators rely upon encyclopedic
memories and monumental skill not mere luck.

Dan Dassow

Duggy

Nov 17, 2008, 1:55:24 AM11/17/08
On Nov 17, 12:26 pm, Amy Guskin <aisl...@fjordstone.com> wrote:
> It's meant to be fun.  Not highly reality-based.  Our little fannish version
> of Powerball.

*You* may not take it seriously, but I do.

===
= DUG.
===

jms...@aol.com

Nov 17, 2008, 2:37:31 AM11/17/08
On Nov 16, 6:26 pm, Amy Guskin <aisl...@fjordstone.com> wrote:
> It's a game.  Some people find it pleasant to pass the time between JMS
> projects trying to guess what he might do next, and when.  And Jan, uber-fan
> and kindest soul that she is, has organized it into a game.  She keeps track
> of peoples' guesses, and awards small B5 prizes from time to time.
>
> It's meant to be fun.  Not highly reality-based.  Our little fannish version
> of Powerball.
>
> Amy

Just to play along, and add a little fuel to the fire....

There are three non-comics, non-B5 projects that are signed, sealed
and contracted for that have not yet been announced.

One of them is the least likely thing anyone could possibly associate
with me.

One of them will come as a surprise to some but not to others.

One of them is a return to form.

There is a fourth project which is two meetings away from being
concluded. If this one happens, I will die a happy man.

jms

Duggy

Nov 17, 2008, 5:52:29 AM11/17/08
On Nov 17, 5:37 pm, "jmsa...@aol.com" <jmsa...@aol.com> wrote:
> One of them is the least likely thing anyone could possibly associate
> with me.

Swedish "Meatballs" remake.

> One of them will come as a surprise to some but not to others.

Changling 2: Change Harder.

> One of them is a return to form.

Surely filling in your own Tax form and returning it doesn't count...?

> There is a fourth project which is two meetings away from being
> concluded.  If this one happens, I will die a happy man.

Secretary of Education.

===
= DUG.
===

Jan

Nov 17, 2008, 6:46:24 AM11/17/08
In article <c2b8ba8a-0f0c-48a0...@x16g2000prn.googlegroups.com>,
jms...@aol.com says...

>On Nov 16, 6:26=A0pm, Amy Guskin <aisl...@fjordstone.com> wrote:
>> It's a game. =A0Some people find it pleasant to pass the time between JMS
>> projects trying to guess what he might do next, and when. =A0And Jan, ube=
>r-fan
>> and kindest soul that she is, has organized it into a game. =A0She keeps =

>track
>> of peoples' guesses, and awards small B5 prizes from time to time.
>>
>> It's meant to be fun. =A0Not highly reality-based. =A0Our little fannish =

>version
>> of Powerball.
>>
>> Amy
>
>Just to play along, and add a little fuel to the fire....
>
>There are three non-comics, non-B5 projects that are signed, sealed
>and contracted for that have not yet been announced.
>
>One of them is the least likely thing anyone could possibly associate
>with me.
>
>One of them will come as a surprise to some but not to others.
>
>One of them is a return to form.
>
>There is a fourth project which is two meetings away from being
>concluded. If this one happens, I will die a happy man.
>
>jms

Okay, folks, you heard it from JMS himself. There are three, almost four
projects up for grabs for guessing and the ONLY dates taken at this time is Jan.
1, 2019 for a remake of Swedish Meatballs by Duggy and the one I'll choose below
for a sample.

So just to go over how it works. You guess a date and you guess a form. I keep
track and when a new JMS project is announced, whoever's got that date can win.
For instance, I just guessed Feb. 6, 2009 for a Feature film-Comic based. If
somebody else wants to choose the same date and guess the announcement will be a
TV series, that's fine. If the announcement is a Feature Film, I'll win the
Fabulous Skywatch Prize. If it's a TV series the other guesser gets the
Fabulous Skywatch Prize. If there's only one guess for that date, that person
wins the Fabulous Skywatch Prize even if they get the form wrong.

The announcement has to be from a trusted source such as a studio, reliable
trade publication or from JMS himself.

What's the Fabulous Skywatch Prize, you ask? Here's the *minimum* that you'll
get:

- A Quote Journal with "The future is always changing. We creat the future with
our words, our deeds and with our beliefs." on the cover.

- A MicroMachine of the B5 Station. This is a single, still in the package.

- A B5 blinky that was given out at the 2007 San Diego Comic Con to promote the
Lost Tales.

- a B5 photo keychain

- at least one button and one magnet from my collection (these are
pre-redesign). If you're a winner I'll happily look to see if I've got a quote
your request.

Up to now the Skywatch Game has been limited to the RASTB5M group but I'm going
to invite the folks at the JMSnews Forums to play, too.

Here are the current guesses. The field's wide open so let the guessing begin:

02/06/09 Feature Film -Comic based Jan RASTB5M
1/1/2019 Swedish "Meatballs" remake Duggy RASTB5M

Jan

--
I try never to get involved in my own life. Too much trouble.

Vince M Hudd

Nov 17, 2008, 6:13:39 AM11/17/08
"jms...@aol.com" <jms...@aol.com> wrote:

> One of them is the least likely thing anyone could possibly associate with
> me.

You're going to script an episode of Eastenders[1].

Or worse, Coronation Street.

(I'll leave it to someone else to explain that to the Overpuddlian
contingent).

[1]

Ian Beale: Look, are you going to buy anything or not?

Shaun Slater: <whooshflickleburpwibble>Tea spoons are a three edged sword</>

Ian Beale: You're just weird!

Shaun Slater: <snapcracklepop>Yes....</>

--
Vince M Hudd
Soft Rock Software

Dan Dassow

Nov 17, 2008, 7:41:44 AM11/17/08
On Nov 17, 5:46 am, Jan <janmschroe...@aol.com> wrote:
> In article <c2b8ba8a-0f0c-48a0-b017-c263cc02a...@x16g2000prn.googlegroups.com>,
> jmsa...@aol.com says...

> >Just to play along, and add a little fuel to the fire....
>
> >There are three non-comics, non-B5 projects that are signed, sealed
> >and contracted for that have not yet been announced.
>
> >One of them is the least likely thing anyone could possibly associate
> >with me.
>
> >One of them will come as a surprise to some but not to others.
>
> >One of them is a return to form.
>
> >There is a fourth project which is two meetings away from being
> >concluded.  If this one happens, I will die a happy man.
>
> >jms
>
> Here are the current guesses.  The field's wide open so let the guessing begin:
>
> 02/06/09        Feature Film -Comic based       Jan     RASTB5M
> 1/1/2019        Swedish "Meatballs" remake    Duggy   RASTB5M
>
> Jan
>

> >One of them is the least likely thing anyone could possibly associate
> >with me.

Not my allocated guess:
A Victorian custume drama

> >One of them will come as a surprise to some but not to others.

This is my real guess
09/21/09 Doctor Who Episode Dan RASTB5M

> >One of them is a return to form.

Not my allocated guess:
A Babylon 5 novel

> >There is a fourth project which is two meetings away from being
> >concluded. If this one happens, I will die a happy man.

Not my allocated guess:
The screenplay for the next Superman movie

Dan Dassow

Duggy

Nov 17, 2008, 8:29:15 AM11/17/08
On Nov 17, 9:13 pm, Vince M Hudd <s...@softrock.co.uk> wrote:

> "jmsa...@aol.com" <jmsa...@aol.com> wrote:
> Ian Beale: Look, are you going to buy anything or not?

Graham Norton says Ian is Jessica's brother, so it must be true.

===
= DUG.
===

Amy Guskin

Nov 17, 2008, 8:38:34 AM11/17/08
>> On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 01:55:24 -0500, thus spake Duggy (in article
<35e89522-5706-4f3c...@a29g2000pra.googlegroups.com>):

And where did I say _that_?

Amy Guskin

Nov 17, 2008, 8:41:47 AM11/17/08
>>On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 02:37:31 -0500, thus spake jms...@aol.com (in article
<c2b8ba8a-0f0c-48a0...@x16g2000prn.googlegroups.com>):

> One of them is the least likely thing anyone could possibly associate
> with me. <<

"Harlequin Romance: The Movie"?

>> One of them is a return to form. <<

If you told me that "Global Frequency" was being resurrected, I'd be SO
happy.

>> There is a fourth project which is two meetings away from being
> concluded. If this one happens, I will die a happy man.<<

Well, obviously, this is now the most interesting of the four. What is two
Hollywood meetings in human years? ;-)

Amy Guskin

Nov 17, 2008, 8:43:31 AM11/17/08
<gemini.kah5ur0...@softrock.co.uk>):

> "jms...@aol.com" <jms...@aol.com> wrote:
>
>> One of them is the least likely thing anyone could possibly associate with
>> me.
>
> You're going to script an episode of Eastenders[1].
>
> Or worse, Coronation Street.
>
> (I'll leave it to someone else to explain that to the Overpuddlian
> contingent). <<

Most of us over here know Eastenders. And those of us over here who watch
Chuck Pratt-written soaps know Coronation Street.

Jan

Nov 17, 2008, 9:15:51 AM11/17/08
>Just to play along, and add a little fuel to the fire....
>
>There are three non-comics, non-B5 projects that are signed, sealed
>and contracted for that have not yet been announced.
>
>One of them is the least likely thing anyone could possibly associate
>with me.

The cute teddy bears, cute teenage wonderkids and cool robots movie? The "Shy
Stegosaurus" remake or sequel? <g>

>One of them will come as a surprise to some but not to others.

Hmmmm....that's a toughie.

>One of them is a return to form.

Return to something previously done like 'Dream Police', 'Rising Stars' or
'Midnight Nation' maybe? Or perhaps a return to dark fantasy?

>There is a fourth project which is two meetings away from being
>concluded. If this one happens, I will die a happy man.

There's one thing that I think would qualify here but I'm afraid to jinx it by
naming it.

And just to save our Beloved Moderator Amy the trouble, remember to be careful
about story ideas when you guess, folks.

Amy Guskin

Nov 17, 2008, 9:26:44 AM11/17/08
>> On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 02:37:31 -0500, thus spake jms...@aol.com (in article
<c2b8ba8a-0f0c-48a0...@x16g2000prn.googlegroups.com>):

> Just to play along, and add a little fuel to the fire....
>
> There are three non-comics, non-B5 projects that are signed, sealed
> and contracted for that have not yet been announced.
>
> One of them is the least likely thing anyone could possibly associate
> with me. <<

Ooh! Ooh! I've got another: "High School Musical 4: The One that
Disappeared"?

mpvork...@hotmail.com

Nov 17, 2008, 9:31:43 AM11/17/08
On Nov 16, 7:47 pm, Elko T <etcher...@acm.org> wrote:

The President-elect. Donald Trump. A few others.

I met Joe at MidSouthCon in '87. He was doing Twilight Zone at the
time, still taking swings at getting Captain Power back on the air
just so he could finish the story, and dropping hints about That Which
Cannot Be Named Yet.

Lessee, who else do I know? In the sf trade, Larry Niven and Jerry
Pournelle. Scott Card. Tim Zahn. Walter Koenig. Drank and smoked
cigars with Mike Resnick. Rubbed the tired, sore feet of Chase
Masterson. Snuggled with Lisa Getto. Shared an elevator with Jose
Feliciano, who told me tacky jokes. Outside of sf, Sam The Sham
Samudio, BB King, Jack Holder, Bucky Barrett, Pete Hyrka, Warren
Zevon, and I think I met Jimmy Buffett at a bar one night. I was
pretty drunk. Various members of Blue Oyster Cult. Kirby "Mojo Nixon"
MacMillan. Kinky Friedman. Webb Wilder. Tony Villanueva and Brian
Hofeldt. Met Alan Foster, but don't really know him. Among the dead, I
knew Bob Asprin, Kelly Freas, Ted Sturgeon, Harry Stubbs, Bob Tucker,
Link Wray.

My wife says I don't know anybody who's not worth knowing. My mom used
to say the same thing.

Make friends whenever and wherever you can. Life's too short to do
otherwise.

Mike

Dan Dassow

Nov 17, 2008, 9:31:42 AM11/17/08
On Nov 17, 8:26 am, Amy Guskin <aisl...@fjordstone.com> wrote:
> >> On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 02:37:31 -0500, thus spake jmsa...@aol.com (in article
>
> <c2b8ba8a-0f0c-48a0-b017-c263cc02a...@x16g2000prn.googlegroups.com>):

> > Just to play along, and add a little fuel to the fire....
>
> > There are three non-comics, non-B5 projects that are signed, sealed
> > and contracted for that have not yet been announced.
>
> > One of them is the least likely thing anyone could possibly associate
> > with me. <<
>
> Ooh!  Ooh!  I've got another: "High School Musical 4: The One that
> Disappeared"?

Not only is that improbable, but also uniquely disturbing.

Dan Dassow

Jan

Nov 17, 2008, 9:58:49 AM11/17/08
In article <gfrli...@drn.newsguy.com>, Jan says...

Quick addition/reminder: One guess per person at a time. You're welcome to
guess again after your date passes.

Patty Winter

Nov 17, 2008, 10:04:02 AM11/17/08

jms...@aol.com <jms...@aol.com> wrote:

>Just to play along, and add a little fuel to the fire....
>
>There are three non-comics, non-B5 projects that are signed, sealed
>and contracted for that have not yet been announced.

Coolness! Any idea when they will be announced?

>One of them is the least likely thing anyone could possibly associate
>with me.

"American Idol: The IMAX Experience"?? :-)

>One of them will come as a surprise to some but not to others.
>
>One of them is a return to form.
>
>There is a fourth project which is two meetings away from being
>concluded. If this one happens, I will die a happy man.

Oh, my. Anyone got theories on that one? I have all of my toes and
fingers crossed for you, Joe!

Patty

mpvork...@hotmail.com

Nov 17, 2008, 10:08:24 AM11/17/08
On Nov 17, 1:37 am, "jmsa...@aol.com" <jmsa...@aol.com> wrote:
> On Nov 16, 6:26 pm, Amy Guskin <aisl...@fjordstone.com> wrote:
>
> > It's a game.  Some people find it pleasant to pass the time between JMS
> > projects trying to guess what he might do next, and when.  And Jan, uber-fan
> > and kindest soul that she is, has organized it into a game.  She keeps track
> > of peoples' guesses, and awards small B5 prizes from time to time.
>
> > It's meant to be fun.  Not highly reality-based.  Our little fannish version
> > of Powerball.
>
> > Amy
>
> Just to play along, and add a little fuel to the fire....
>
> There are three non-comics, non-B5 projects that are signed, sealed
> and contracted for that have not yet been announced.
>
> One of them is the least likely thing anyone could possibly associate
> with me.

You're scripting "Pinocchio" for Guillermo del Toro.

> One of them will come as a surprise to some but not to others.

"Fantastic Voyage" for Roland Emmerich.

> One of them is a return to form.

A big-screen version of "V".

> There is a fourth project which is two meetings away from being
> concluded.  If this one happens, I will die a happy man.

An adaptation of Heinlein's "The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress", or
Bester's "The Stars My Destination". Preferably the latter.

You're an evil man, Joe. You do know that.

> jms

Mike

Jon Schild

Nov 17, 2008, 11:42:18 AM11/17/08

jms...@aol.com wrote:

> Just to play along, and add a little fuel to the fire....
>
> There are three non-comics, non-B5 projects that are signed, sealed
> and contracted for that have not yet been announced.
>
> One of them is the least likely thing anyone could possibly associate
> with me.

Desparate Housewives. It's the least likely thing I could think of. (of
which I could think?)

> One of them will come as a surprise to some but not to others.

[no clue -- I would be one of the surprised ones]

> One of them is a return to form.

Speed Racer cartoons

> There is a fourth project which is two meetings away from being
> concluded. If this one happens, I will die a happy man.

Dr. Who.

> jms

Now, as soon as I figure out some dates to go with those, I will add
them. For now, Jan, please just put 2011 on all 4. I will update that
after I have time to think about it.

--
Wanted dead and/or alive: Shroedinger's cat.

Charlie E.

Nov 17, 2008, 11:01:59 AM11/17/08
On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 23:37:31 -0800 (PST), "jms...@aol.com"
<jms...@aol.com> wrote:

>On Nov 16, 6:26 pm, Amy Guskin <aisl...@fjordstone.com> wrote:
>> It's a game.  Some people find it pleasant to pass the time between JMS
>> projects trying to guess what he might do next, and when.  And Jan, uber-fan
>> and kindest soul that she is, has organized it into a game.  She keeps track
>> of peoples' guesses, and awards small B5 prizes from time to time.
>>
>> It's meant to be fun.  Not highly reality-based.  Our little fannish version
>> of Powerball.
>>
>> Amy
>
>Just to play along, and add a little fuel to the fire....
>
>There are three non-comics, non-B5 projects that are signed, sealed
>and contracted for that have not yet been announced.
>
>One of them is the least likely thing anyone could possibly associate
>with me.

Ok, a remake of Ben Hur!

>One of them will come as a surprise to some but not to others.

Hmmm... not sure there...

>One of them is a return to form.

The new Star Trek TV Series

>There is a fourth project which is two meetings away from being
>concluded. If this one happens, I will die a happy man.
>
>jms

You are signing up to do The Stars My Destination?

Charlie

Jan

Nov 17, 2008, 11:04:20 AM11/17/08
In article <gfs3bi$s9r$1...@news.xmission.com>, Jon Schild says...

>Now, as soon as I figure out some dates to go with those, I will add
>them. For now, Jan, please just put 2011 on all 4. I will update that
>after I have time to think about it.

Remember, Jon - only one date per person. When I saw the number of projects I
tried to think of another way but I think it's best to stick with the original.
Also, remember that the guess is for when it's *announced*, not available. I
*hope* we don't have to wait till 2011!!!

Andrew Swallow

Nov 17, 2008, 11:04:44 AM11/17/08

4 projects, 3 non-B5 and not comic

4 - 3 = 1

It could be one of his comics but the die happy makes me think it is
the big budget Babylon 5 film.

9Apr09 Feature Film -B5 based Andrew Swallow RASTB5M

Andrew Swallow

Charlie E.

Nov 17, 2008, 11:05:35 AM11/17/08

Ok, my guess:
12/9/2008 - Feature Film

Charlie

Charlie E.

Nov 17, 2008, 11:07:37 AM11/17/08
On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 07:08:24 -0800 (PST), mpvork...@hotmail.com
wrote:

Oh Yes! Moon is a Harsh Mistress!

Fillmed on location... 8-)

Charlie

Jon Schild

Nov 17, 2008, 12:52:33 PM11/17/08

Jan wrote:
> In article <gfs3bi$s9r$1...@news.xmission.com>, Jon Schild says...
>
>>Now, as soon as I figure out some dates to go with those, I will add
>>them. For now, Jan, please just put 2011 on all 4. I will update that
>>after I have time to think about it.
>>

> Remember, Jon - only one date per person. When I saw the number of projects I
> tried to think of another way but I think it's best to stick with the original.
> Also, remember that the guess is for when it's *announced*, not available. I
> *hope* we don't have to wait till 2011!!!
>
> Jan

OK, then I need to come up with a WAG about the most likely project or
soonest announcement. Hm... I'll go with Feature Film, 1/15/09

Doug Freyburger

Nov 17, 2008, 12:34:05 PM11/17/08
mpvorkosi...@hotmail.com wrote:

> "jmsa...@aol.com" <jmsa...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> > Just to play along, and add a little fuel to the fire....

When a space station has a fusion power plant, that can
be impressive.

> > There are three non-comics, non-B5 projects that are signed, sealed
> > and contracted for that have not yet been announced.
>
> > One of them is the least likely thing anyone could possibly associate
> > with me.
>
> You're scripting "Pinocchio" for Guillermo del Toro.

When you do Harlequin Romances as movies, Joe, use a
nome-de-plume. ;^)

> > One of them will come as a surprise to some but not to others.
>
> "Fantastic Voyage" for Roland Emmerich.

Riding on the huge financial success that will be Lensman, Joe
gets to do the Skylark of Space series as well. Of course the
Fenacrome become the runaway stars in the after release toy
sales. P.S. The kids will notice they aren't robots but they
won't notice they aren't intended to be cute.

> > One of them is a return to form.
>
> A big-screen version of "V".

Woo hoo, who wouldn't want another Lost Tales DVD as a
return to form. He did say "non-comic non-B5" so maybe
comic B5 something on the horizon? ...

> > There is a fourth project which is two meetings away from being
> > concluded.  If this one happens, I will die a happy man.
>
> An adaptation of Heinlein's "The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress", or
> Bester's "The Stars My Destination". Preferably the latter.

I'm going with a spoof of Mystery Science Theatre 3000
spoofing 2001 A Space Oddessey. I've always wanted
MST3K to spoof some really good movies and that's the
one I'd have the easiest time with and the most fun with ...

Amy Guskin

Nov 17, 2008, 1:51:53 PM11/17/08
<3122bfd1-0313-4799...@v16g2000prc.googlegroups.com>):

> When you do Harlequin Romances as movies, Joe, use a
> nome-de-plume. ;^) <<

Hey, this is awesome: there is now officially 'buzz' on my first guess. ;-)

Dan Dassow

Nov 17, 2008, 6:24:04 PM11/17/08
On Nov 17, 12:51 pm, Amy Guskin <aisl...@fjordstone.com> wrote:
> >>On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 12:34:05 -0500, thus spake Doug Freyburger (in article
>
> <3122bfd1-0313-4799-86ba-49e5da53d...@v16g2000prc.googlegroups.com>):

> > When you do Harlequin Romances as movies, Joe, use a
> > nome-de-plume.  ;^) <<
>
> Hey, this is awesome: there is now officially 'buzz' on my first guess.  ;-)

Buzz without a title is simply buzz. Here are some possible titles:
"The Babylonian's Centauri Lover"
"Gone with the First Ones"
"The Heart of Delenn"
"The Minbari's Assistant"
"Bodyguard to the Narn"
"Manhunt Down Below"
"Beautiful Changeling"
"Vorlon Rhapsody"

Dan Dassow

Jan

Nov 17, 2008, 6:34:25 PM11/17/08
Okay, I'm back from work and I've compiled all of the guesses. Here's the
latest list. PLEASE nudge me if I've missed anybody! I'll either post an
updated list or give individual acknowledgements when I've added your entry.

12/9/2008...Feature Film...Charlie Edmondson...RASTB5M
12/21/2008...Romantic Comedy Feature...Joansie...JMSnews
1/15/2009...Feature Film...Jon Schild...RASTB5M
1/16/2009..."Forever War" Feature...Mandragora...JMSnews
2/20/2009..."American Graffiti"...Glindros...JMSnews
4/9/2009...B5 Feature Film...Andrew Swallow...RASTB5M
10/20/2010...LOST episode...CircularREASON...JMSnews
1/1/2019...Swedish "Meatballs" remake...Duggy...RASTB5M

Dave Hayslett

Nov 17, 2008, 6:36:55 PM11/17/08

"Romancing the Bonehead (no offense)"

--
Dave (11/17/2008 6:36:40 PM)

"What do you want, you moon-faced assassin of joy?!"

Jan

Nov 17, 2008, 6:51:38 PM11/17/08
In article <d823e2f0-8b28-46b4...@r15g2000prh.googlegroups.com>,
Dan Dassow says...

>cle
>>
>> <3122bfd1-0313-4799-86ba-49e5da53d...@v16g2000prc.googlegroups.com>):
>>

>> > When you do Harlequin Romances as movies, Joe, use a
>> > nome-de-plume. =A0;^) <<
>>
>> Hey, this is awesome: there is now officially 'buzz' on my first guess. =
>=A0;-)

>Buzz without a title is simply buzz. Here are some possible titles:
>"The Babylonian's Centauri Lover"
>"Gone with the First Ones"
>"The Heart of Delenn"
>"The Minbari's Assistant"
>"Bodyguard to the Narn"
>"Manhunt Down Below"
>"Beautiful Changeling"
>"Vorlon Rhapsody"
>
>Dan Dassow

"Brokeback Z'ha'dum" ?

Amy Guskin

Nov 17, 2008, 7:03:51 PM11/17/08
>> On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 18:36:55 -0500, thus spake Dave Hayslett (in article
<1aluvzlvlxvpj$.d...@hayslett.sc.rr.com>):

Pouch-Brother, Lover
The Lurker in My Heart
Love Across the Tachyon Pulse

Vince M Hudd

Nov 17, 2008, 9:11:36 AM11/17/08
Amy Guskin <ais...@fjordstone.com> wrote:
> > > On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 06:13:39 -0500, thus spake Vince M Hudd (in
> > > article

[ref Eastenders & Coronation Street]

> Most of us over here know Eastenders. And those of us over here who watch
> Chuck Pratt-written soaps know Coronation Street.

You poor, poor things. I consider them among the worst British TV has to
offer, along with "reality" shows, make-over shows, and stuff like X
Factor[1]. I know you have your own versions of all of this rubbish, of
course.

[1] "Last week, you paid for a premium rate phone call to keep your act in
the show - but guess what? It's not enough. You need to do so again this
week! And you'd better make several calls, just to make sure your act
survives until next week so that you can make those calls again!"
--
Vince M Hudd
Soft Rock Software

Duggy

Nov 17, 2008, 8:16:04 PM11/17/08
On Nov 18, 2:04 am, Jan <janmschroe...@aol.com> wrote:
> Remember, Jon - only one date per person.

I've heard that rule many times, and yet in sitcoms they often
accidently arrange two dates simultaneously. Sitcoms (the one true
teaching tool) wouldn't lie to me... would it.

===
= DUG.
===

Dennis (Icarus)

Nov 17, 2008, 8:37:22 PM11/17/08

"Jan" <janmsc...@aol.com> wrote in message

> In article <gfs3bi$s9r$1...@news.xmission.com>, Jon Schild says...
>>
>>Now, as soon as I figure out some dates to go with those, I will add
>>them. For now, Jan, please just put 2011 on all 4. I will update that
>>after I have time to think about it.
>>

> Remember, Jon - only one date per person. When I saw the number of
> projects I
> tried to think of another way but I think it's best to stick with the
> original.
> Also, remember that the guess is for when it's *announced*, not available.
> *hope* we don't have to wait till 2011!!!

I'll go with 11/30/2008 - Feautre film.

Dennis

.

Wes Struebing

Nov 17, 2008, 8:51:47 PM11/17/08
On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 20:05:12 -0800 (PST), Dan Dassow
<dan_d...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> article <5c9a28fb-2a93-45ea-8e9a-a32f5e775...@q30g2000prq.googlegroups.com>):

>> > Found it. Okay. Makes sense now.
>>
>> > Stefan, I've known Joe in passing for 22 years. I gave up long ago
>> > trying to figure out what he's gonna do next.
>>

>> > I don't see a tv series. I do see an Oscar nom, possibly a win. And
>> > possibly a script for Avengers. That last one is iffy, though. <<

>> It's a game.  Some people find it pleasant to pass the time between JMS
>> projects trying to guess what he might do next, and when.  And Jan, uber-fan
>> and kindest soul that she is, has organized it into a game.  She keeps track
>> of peoples' guesses, and awards small B5 prizes from time to time.
>>
>> It's meant to be fun.  Not highly reality-based.  Our little fannish version
>> of Powerball.
>

>Powerball, blech! Our Skywatch prognosticators rely upon encyclopedic
>memories and monumental skill not mere luck.

You bet, Dan! That's why we're all so darn successful!

;-)
--

Wes Struebing

Jan. 20, 2009 - the end of an error

Wes Struebing

Nov 17, 2008, 8:56:12 PM11/17/08
<jms...@aol.com> wrote:

>On Nov 16, 6:26 pm, Amy Guskin <aisl...@fjordstone.com> wrote:
>> It's a game.  Some people find it pleasant to pass the time between JMS
>> projects trying to guess what he might do next, and when.  And Jan, uber-fan
>> and kindest soul that she is, has organized it into a game.  She keeps track
>> of peoples' guesses, and awards small B5 prizes from time to time.
>>
>> It's meant to be fun.  Not highly reality-based.  Our little fannish version
>> of Powerball.
>>

>> Amy

>Just to play along, and add a little fuel to the fire....
>

>There are three non-comics, non-B5 projects that are signed, sealed
>and contracted for that have not yet been announced.
>
>One of them is the least likely thing anyone could possibly associate
>with me.
>

>One of them will come as a surprise to some but not to others.
>

>One of them is a return to form.
>

>There is a fourth project which is two meetings away from being
>concluded. If this one happens, I will die a happy man.

Ooh, you are NASTY! I like that in a writer who frequents this ng...!

Lessee - return to form...you must be doing a screenplay for a
Spi...Err that Toby Maguire vehicle.

Say no more...<wink, wink>

Wes Struebing

Nov 17, 2008, 8:57:27 PM11/17/08
On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 11:13:39 +0000, Vince M Hudd <sp...@softrock.co.uk>
wrote:

>"jms...@aol.com" <jms...@aol.com> wrote:
>
>> One of them is the least likely thing anyone could possibly associate with
>> me.
>

>You're going to script an episode of Eastenders[1].
>
>Or worse, Coronation Street.
>
>(I'll leave it to someone else to explain that to the Overpuddlian
>contingent).
>
>[1]
>
>Ian Beale: Look, are you going to buy anything or not?
>
>Shaun Slater: <whooshflickleburpwibble>Tea spoons are a three edged sword</>
>
>Ian Beale: You're just weird!
>
>Shaun Slater: <snapcracklepop>Yes....</>

Nah. He's writing something for the History Channel.

Wes Struebing

Nov 17, 2008, 9:01:30 PM11/17/08
On 17 Nov 2008 03:46:24 -0800, Jan <janmsc...@aol.com> wrote:

>>On Nov 16, 6:26=A0pm, Amy Guskin <aisl...@fjordstone.com> wrote:
>>> It's a game. =A0Some people find it pleasant to pass the time between JMS
>>> projects trying to guess what he might do next, and when. =A0And Jan, ube=
>>r-fan
>>> and kindest soul that she is, has organized it into a game. =A0She keeps =

>>track
>>> of peoples' guesses, and awards small B5 prizes from time to time.
>>>

>>> It's meant to be fun. =A0Not highly reality-based. =A0Our little fannish =

>>version
>>> of Powerball.
>>>
>>> Amy
>>
>>Just to play along, and add a little fuel to the fire....
>>
>>There are three non-comics, non-B5 projects that are signed, sealed
>>and contracted for that have not yet been announced.
>>

>>One of them is the least likely thing anyone could possibly associate
>>with me.
>>

>>One of them will come as a surprise to some but not to others.
>>
>>One of them is a return to form.
>>
>>There is a fourth project which is two meetings away from being
>>concluded. If this one happens, I will die a happy man.
>>

>>jms
>>

>Okay, folks, you heard it from JMS himself. There are three, almost four
>projects up for grabs for guessing and the ONLY dates taken at this time is Jan.
>1, 2019 for a remake of Swedish Meatballs by Duggy and the one I'll choose below
>for a sample.
>
>So just to go over how it works. You guess a date and you guess a form. I keep
>track and when a new JMS project is announced, whoever's got that date can win.
>For instance, I just guessed Feb. 6, 2009 for a Feature film-Comic based. If
>somebody else wants to choose the same date and guess the announcement will be a
>TV series, that's fine. If the announcement is a Feature Film, I'll win the
>Fabulous Skywatch Prize. If it's a TV series the other guesser gets the
>Fabulous Skywatch Prize. If there's only one guess for that date, that person
>wins the Fabulous Skywatch Prize even if they get the form wrong.

<snip>

>Here are the current guesses. The field's wide open so let the guessing begin:
>
>02/06/09 Feature Film -Comic based Jan RASTB5M
>1/1/2019 Swedish "Meatballs" remake Duggy RASTB5M

OK. To expand on my "guesses"

April 20, 2009 - New Spiderman screenplay. (return to form - in
several ways)

September 2010 - History Channel program on missing Children...(well
- that would CERTAINLY be unexpected)

Wes Struebing

Nov 17, 2008, 9:02:50 PM11/17/08

Oops. Sorry, Jan. You can blow away my History Channel guess...

;-)

Wes Struebing

Nov 17, 2008, 9:06:03 PM11/17/08
On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 18:36:55 -0500, Dave Hayslett <hays...@sc.rr.com>
wrote:

>>> <3122bfd1-0313-4799-86ba-49e5da53d...@v16g2000prc.googlegroups.com>):

>>> Hey, this is awesome: there is now officially 'buzz' on my first guess.  ;-)
>>>

>> Buzz without a title is simply buzz. Here are some possible titles:
>> "The Babylonian's Centauri Lover"
>> "Gone with the First Ones"
>> "The Heart of Delenn"
>> "The Minbari's Assistant"
>> "Bodyguard to the Narn"
>> "Manhunt Down Below"
>> "Beautiful Changeling"
>> "Vorlon Rhapsody"
>
>"Romancing the Bonehead (no offense)"

"A Convenient Time-rift"

Wes Struebing

Nov 17, 2008, 9:07:47 PM11/17/08

"From the Narn Homeworld, with Love" (ok - that's a movie...)

Duggy

Nov 17, 2008, 9:07:37 PM11/17/08
On Nov 17, 11:38 pm, Amy Guskin <aisl...@fjordstone.com> wrote:
> >> On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 01:55:24 -0500, thus spake Duggy (in article
> > *You* may not take it seriously, but I do. <<
> And where did I say _that_?
At least 4 times in this post:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated/msg/a66d4931cc36c50e?dmode=source

===
= DUG.
===

Amy Guskin

Nov 17, 2008, 9:16:54 PM11/17/08
<0de6e679-b24f-4e8a...@x16g2000prn.googlegroups.com>):

> c36c50e?dmode=source <<

Er...that post was about Prop 8 and gay marriage. Where you accused me of
not taking something seriously was in _this_ part of the thread, about the
Skywatch (Eeep) game.

Or, wait: was this yet again one of those things where it's funnier if no one
gets it? Because if so, this must be freaking hilarious. :-p

Jan

Nov 17, 2008, 9:29:20 PM11/17/08
In article <0001HW.C5478FC6...@news.verizon.net>, Amy Guskin
says...

>>> On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 21:07:37 -0500, thus spake Duggy (in article=20
><0de6e679-b24f-4e8a...@x16g2000prn.googlegroups.com>):

>>> And where did I say _that_?
>> At least 4 times in this post:
>>=20
>>=20
>http://groups.google.com/group/rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated/msg/a66d=
>4931c
>
>> c36c50e?dmode=3Dsource <<
>
>Er...that post was about Prop 8 and gay marriage. Where you accused me o=
>f=20
>not taking something seriously was in _this_ part of the thread, about th=
>e=20
>Skywatch (Eeep) game.
>
>Or, wait: was this yet again one of those things where it's funnier if no=
> one=20

>gets it? Because if so, this must be freaking hilarious. :-p
>
>Amy

PLEASE...DON'T!! Duggy, since you just yanked the thread *way* off topic, I'll
ask you to refrain from going further. Amy, if he insists, please don't go
along.

This thread is about guessing JMS's projects and playing a guessing game if you
care to join it. That's all. Let's keep it that way.

Please.

Jan

Nov 17, 2008, 9:33:48 PM11/17/08
In article <d4795$49221c5b$4c49ae41$39...@KNOLOGY.NET>, Icarus\ says...

November 30 this year it is, Dennis.

Dennis (Icarus)

Nov 17, 2008, 10:00:03 PM11/17/08
"Amy Guskin" <ais...@fjordstone.com> wrote in message
<snip>

>Er...that post was about Prop 8 and gay marriage. Where you accused me of
>not taking something seriously was in _this_ part of the thread, about the
>Skywatch (Eeep) game.
>
>Or, wait: was this yet again one of those things where it's funnier if no
>one
>gets it? Because if so, this must be freaking hilarious. :-p

I thought it was earlier where you said "it's meant to be fun".
Of course, at times, fun can be serious business.
;-)

Dennis

.

Amy Guskin

Nov 17, 2008, 10:14:06 PM11/17/08
<gft9a...@drn.newsguy.com>):

> PLEASE...DON'T!! Duggy, since you just yanked the thread *way* off topic,
> I'll
> ask you to refrain from going further. Amy, if he insists, please don't go
> along. <<

Oh, I don't think he intended to get into the political discussion again.
Seriously, I think this is one of Duggy's "jokes." :-)

Amy Guskin

Nov 17, 2008, 10:14:55 PM11/17/08
>> On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 22:00:03 -0500, thus spake Dennis \(Icarus\) (in article
<a4427$49222fb9$4c49ae41$38...@KNOLOGY.NET>):

Exactly. On both counts.

Duggy

Nov 18, 2008, 12:53:04 AM11/18/08
On Nov 18, 12:16 pm, Amy Guskin <aisl...@fjordstone.com> wrote:
> >> On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 21:07:37 -0500, thus spake Duggy (in article
> > On Nov 17, 11:38 pm, Amy Guskin <aisl...@fjordstone.com> wrote:
> >> And where did I say _that_?
> > At least 4 times in this post:
> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated/msg/...

> > c36c50e?dmode=source <<
> Er...that post was about Prop 8 and gay marriage.  Where you accused me of
> not taking something seriously was in _this_ part of the thread, about the
> Skywatch (Eeep) game.

True, but you did say "that" 4 times.

> Or, wait: was this yet again one of those things where it's funnier if no one
> gets it?  Because if so, this must be freaking hilarious.  :-p

It is. It. Is.

===
= DUG.
===

Duggy

Nov 18, 2008, 12:55:16 AM11/18/08
On Nov 18, 1:14 pm, Amy Guskin <aisl...@fjordstone.com> wrote:
> Oh, I don't think he intended to get into the political discussion again.
> Seriously, I think this is one of Duggy's "jokes."  :-)

You don't think that asking for spoiler space for a 52 year old film
is funny?
You don't think that people actually thinking you wanted spoiler space
is icing?

===
= DUG.
===

Matt Ion

Nov 18, 2008, 1:02:34 AM11/18/08
jms...@aol.com wrote:
> On Nov 16, 6:26 pm, Amy Guskin <aisl...@fjordstone.com> wrote:
>> It's a game. Some people find it pleasant to pass the time between JMS
>> projects trying to guess what he might do next, and when. And Jan, uber-fan
>> and kindest soul that she is, has organized it into a game. She keeps track

>> of peoples' guesses, and awards small B5 prizes from time to time.
>>
>> It's meant to be fun. Not highly reality-based. Our little fannish version

>> of Powerball.
>>
>> Amy
>
> Just to play along, and add a little fuel to the fire....
>
> There are three non-comics, non-B5 projects that are signed, sealed
> and contracted for that have not yet been announced.
>
> One of them is the least likely thing anyone could possibly associate
> with me.
>
> One of them will come as a surprise to some but not to others.
>
> One of them is a return to form.
>
> There is a fourth project which is two meetings away from being
> concluded. If this one happens, I will die a happy man.

Oh, you ol' pot-stirrer you!

Matt Ion

Nov 18, 2008, 1:10:39 AM11/18/08
jms...@aol.com wrote:

> Just to play along, and add a little fuel to the fire....

BTW, you're not allowed to play... it would be "insider trading"!

As for the fire, though... fuel away!

Message has been deleted

Dan Dassow

Nov 18, 2008, 6:22:59 AM11/18/08
On Nov 18, 1:05 am, Aleks A.-Lessmann <XaXlXeXk...@lessmann-
consulting.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 06:31:42 -0800 (PST), Dan Dassow wrote:
> >On Nov 17, 8:26 am, Amy Guskin <aisl...@fjordstone.com> wrote:
> >> Ooh!  Ooh!  I've got another: "High School Musical 4: The One that
> >> Disappeared"?
> >Not only is that improbable, but also uniquely disturbing.
>
> But it leave the door open for "HSM5: Da Funkee Narns"
>
> The Narns at my door want to congratulate me for my idea, it seems, I'll
> go open the door...

I could see the review ending:
Overall Review: Wham, Wham, Wham, Wham, Wham (5 out of 5 Whams)

Dan Dassow

Amy Guskin

Nov 18, 2008, 8:08:54 AM11/18/08
>> On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 00:55:16 -0500, thus spake Duggy (in article
<67eb952f-62c6-4aea...@a26g2000prf.googlegroups.com>):

Meh. This is a visual medium -- not an aural one -- so despite your absolute
certainty that I should have been able to tell that that was a joke, I
wasn't. I don't know you well enough to know that you'd joke about something
like that, and since the internet is _filled_ with people who go berserk
about spoilers of any kind, I don't think it was funny at all _in that
context_. Only afterward when it had been explained to death, at which point
it had had all the funny bled out of it, anyway.

Grandpa Garibaldi

Nov 18, 2008, 9:27:31 AM11/18/08
On Nov 17, 8:37 pm, "Dennis \(Icarus\)" <ala_dir_di...@yahoo.com>
wrote:
> "Jan" <janmschroe...@aol.com> wrote in message

> > In article <gfs3bi$s9...@news.xmission.com>, Jon Schild says...

> >>Now, as soon as I figure out some dates to go with those, I will add
> >>them.  For now, Jan, please just put 2011 on all 4.  I will update that
> >>after I have time to think about it.
>
> > Remember, Jon - only one date per person.  When I saw the number of
> > projects I
> > tried to think of another way but I think it's best to stick with the
> > original.
> > Also, remember that the guess is for when it's *announced*, not available.
> > *hope* we don't have to wait till 2011!!!
>
> I'll go with 11/30/2008 - Feautre film.
>
> Dennis
>
> .

When I close my eyes, all I can see is a playbill for the Metropolitan
Opera featuring a new work entitled "Verde/Viola," libretto by JMS,
music by Evan Chen, based on the Drazi struggle...

But that's not my guess...

I'll say 2/9/09 - TV Series.

Grandpa

mpvork...@hotmail.com

Nov 18, 2008, 11:43:14 AM11/18/08
> Grandpa- Hide quoted text -

I'm inclined to go along with you, Gramps. After watching Heroes last
night and falling asleep on it, I'm thinking that, since they fired
Jeph Loeb, JMS might be the only person who can get it on track again.
But if he does a series, and it's not in the B5 'verse, he'll do
Rising Stars for the '09-'10 season. And it'll be on CBS, as they'd
like to have a hero show of their own.

Mike

Kay Shapero

Nov 18, 2008, 5:13:49 PM11/18/08

Ok, I'll take November 28 (my birthday), and that'll be The Martian
Chronicles as a TV series. :)
--
Kay Shapero
http://www.kayshapero.net

Jan

Nov 18, 2008, 6:38:43 PM11/18/08
In article <MPG.238cdde48...@news.west.earthlink.net>, Kay Shapero
says...

>Ok, I'll take November 28 (my birthday), and that'll be The Martian
>Chronicles as a TV series. :)

Happy Birthday in advance, Kay.

Okay, here's the latest list. Plenty of dates and possible projects still
unclaimed!

11/28/2008....Martian Chronicles....TV Series....Kay Shapero....RASTB5M
11/30/2008....Feature Film....Dennis....RASTB5M
12/9/2008....Feature Film....Charlie Edmondson....RASTB5M
12/21/2008....Romantic Comedy Feature....Joansie....JMSnews
12/30/2008....Superman Comic....Zoltan....JMSnews
1/5/2009....Superman Feature....Vakie....JMSnews
1/15/2009....Feature Film....Jon Schild ....RASTB5M
1/16/2009...."Forever War" Feature.... Mandragora....JMSnews
2/1/2009....B5 Feature Film....JoeD80....JMSnews
2/9/2009....TV Series....Grandpa Garibaldi....RASTB5M
2/20/2009....American Graffiti....Glindros....JMSnews
4/9/2009....B5 Feature Film....Andrew Swallow....RASTB5M
9/21/2009....Dr. Who Episode....Dan Dassow....RASTB5M
10/20/2010....LOST episode....CircularREASON....JMSnews
1/1/2019....Swedish "Meatballs" remake....Duggy....RASTB5M

Keep those guesses coming!

Elko T

Nov 18, 2008, 9:54:35 PM11/18/08
mpvork...@hotmail.com wrote:
> On Nov 16, 7:47 pm, Elko T <etcher...@acm.org> wrote:

>> mpvorkosi...@hotmail.com wrote:
>>
>>> Found it. Okay. Makes sense now.
>>> Stefan, I've known Joe in passing for 22 years. I gave up long ago
>>> trying to figure out what he's gonna do next.
>>
>> Just curious here - is there anybody that you don't know? :)
>
> The President-elect. Donald Trump. A few others.
>
> I met Joe at MidSouthCon in '87. He was doing Twilight Zone at the
> time, still taking swings at getting Captain Power back on the air
> just so he could finish the story, and dropping hints about That Which
> Cannot Be Named Yet.
>
> Lessee, who else do I know? In the sf trade, Larry Niven and Jerry
> Pournelle. Scott Card. Tim Zahn. Walter Koenig. Drank and smoked
> cigars with Mike Resnick. Rubbed the tired, sore feet of Chase
> Masterson. Snuggled with Lisa Getto. Shared an elevator with Jose
> Feliciano, who told me tacky jokes. Outside of sf, Sam The Sham
> Samudio, BB King, Jack Holder, Bucky Barrett, Pete Hyrka, Warren
> Zevon, and I think I met Jimmy Buffett at a bar one night. I was
> pretty drunk. Various members of Blue Oyster Cult. Kirby "Mojo Nixon"
> MacMillan. Kinky Friedman. Webb Wilder. Tony Villanueva and Brian
> Hofeldt. Met Alan Foster, but don't really know him. Among the dead, I
> knew Bob Asprin, Kelly Freas, Ted Sturgeon, Harry Stubbs, Bob Tucker,
> Link Wray.
>
> My wife says I don't know anybody who's not worth knowing. My mom used
> to say the same thing.
>
> Make friends whenever and wherever you can. Life's too short to do
> otherwise.

A laudable attitude! I like it. But I was expecting, by your choice
of netname, that you knew ms. Bujold too...

mpvork...@hotmail.com

Nov 18, 2008, 11:01:57 PM11/18/08
> of netname, that you knew ms. Bujold too...- Hide quoted text -

Never met the lady. After her minor freakout on Baen.com at my mention
of writing scripts based on her stuff, I'm not sure if I should. I've
read all her Vorkosiverse stuff, and love it. Miles is seriously cool,
and to me is one of the two greatest overcompensation cases in
fiction, the other being Robert Frederickson, George Chesbro's great
private eye character. If you're not familiar with him, Mongo
Frederickson is a brilliant deductive intellect, martial arts master
and acrobat, who's about three-feet-six. His brother, Garth, got all
the height at six-ten.

I will admit, I do admire Lois. But she's got the same apparent blind
spot about adapting her stuff to film that a lot of print sf writers
have. And that would lead to me trying to convince her of the error of
her thinking, and she'd get mad, and I'd get mad... and a budding
friendship would go straight down the tubes real friggin' fast.

And I did leave two people off the list, one living, one dead.
Frederik Pohl and Bob Jordan. Papa Pohl is possibly the last of the
great ones from the old days, having been a member of the same gang of
snot-nosed fanboys as Blish, Wollheim, Knight and Asimov.

I haven't seen Jordan since about '91, when he filled in as GoH at
MidSouth after Bob Adams died. And now, sadly, I'll never smoke a pipe
with him again. He was a good friend and a good writer.

See, this is what happens when you're part of the operations committee
of a major regional con. You meet people. Sometimes the friendships
stick. Sometimes they don't. I know Larry and Jerry, but I can't
honestly call them friends. By the same token, ten minutes over a beer
and I can honestly call Mojo Nixon my friend.

It's a mystery.

Oh, BTW, the reason for the Vorkosigan ID? When I lost my internet
access shortly before I left Memphis, I was getting monster gobs of
junkmail, and let my old email addy die. When I moved up here, that
address wasn't available anymore. So I took a new one, and
mpvorkosigan was the first one I could get with no numbers added to
it. To give you an idea of how much I love a good mystery, my old
address was bahi...@hotmail.com. Most folks never catch the
reference.

Mike

GaryTheGreat

Nov 18, 2008, 6:27:30 AM11/18/08
New guess:

Ghostbusters 1/4/09

Vince M Hudd

Nov 18, 2008, 9:29:53 AM11/18/08
Amy Guskin <ais...@fjordstone.com> wrote:
> > > On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 00:55:16 -0500, thus spake Duggy (in article
> <67eb952f-62c6-4aea...@a26g2000prf.googlegroups.com>):

[...]

> > You don't think that asking for spoiler space for a 52 year old film is
> > funny? You don't think that people actually thinking you wanted spoiler
> > space is icing? <<
>
> Meh. This is a visual medium -- not an aural one -- so despite your
> absolute certainty that I should have been able to tell that that was a
> joke, I wasn't. I don't know you well enough to know that you'd joke
> about something like that, and since the internet is _filled_ with people
> who go berserk about spoilers of any kind,

Yes, there's one sitting here (having strayed in from alt.babylon5.uk). I do
get particularly annoyed by spoilers because I've unfortunately had quite a
number of things spoiled by inconsiderate fools. (And I admit to having been
such a fool when it comes to older stuff before I ever gave the matter some
real thought.)

The thing is, IM-long-considered-O, spoiler space is something that should
be used for any discussion or comment that reveals any amount of plot detail
of *any* book, film, TV series episode, or whatever - irrespective of
whether or not it's been shown on TV, or how often it's been repeated, and
no matter how old it is. It's the only sensible and polite way to be
sure[1].

The reason is simple: until and unless everyone on the entire planet has
seen it (or read it, or whatever), and nobody else is being born, there is
*always* the risk that you are spoiling something for someone who hasn't
seen it yet. None of us knows if what we are posting to this or any other
newsgroup is being read by someone who hasn't seen whatever is being
discussed, and intends to see it - and that applies to both current and
future readers, reading through an archive such as Google.

The generally accepted rules should be: *Always* use spoiler space, and
*always* state above the space precisely what is being spoiled (ie in the
case of a series, episode numbers etc), updating it if necessary because
discussion strays off to another subject. Spoiler space can be reduced where
there is a lot of content /above/ the spoiler space, provided there is a
clear gap with indication that what follows it is spoilerage - and do take
into account that some people use obscenely high resolution displays.

One/some/all of you might disagree, and in varying ways - but just remember
that I rule the other group with a long reaching poison tipped blade... o;>

[1] Apart from taking off, and nuking the site from orbit, obviously - it's
a known and well established fact that that is always a good solution to any
problem, although I'm not sure if it can be considered polite.

> I don't think it was funny at all _in that context_. Only afterward when
> it had been explained to death, at which point it had had all the funny
> bled out of it, anyway.

Indeed.

--
Vince M Hudd
Soft Rock Software

Jere Lull

Nov 18, 2008, 12:57:39 PM11/18/08
On 2008-11-17 02:37:31 -0500, "jms...@aol.com" <jms...@aol.com> said:

> Just to play along, and add a little fuel to the fire....
>

> There are three non-comics, non-B5 projects that are signed, sealed
> and contracted for that have not yet been announced.
>
> One of them is the least likely thing anyone could possibly associate
> with me.
>
> One of them will come as a surprise to some but not to others.
>
> One of them is a return to form.
>
> There is a fourth project which is two meetings away from being
> concluded. If this one happens, I will die a happy man.

Oy, you're so delightfully devious.

--
Jere Lull

mpvork...@hotmail.com

Nov 19, 2008, 9:15:15 AM11/19/08
On Nov 18, 11:57 am, Jere Lull <jerel...@mac.com> wrote:

He is. I've already told him he's evil. He's probably sitting in his
office, chortling with glee at the tsimmis he's raised...

See, Amy? I haven't forgotten all my Yiddish!

Mike

Blair Leatherwood

Nov 19, 2008, 10:14:39 AM11/19/08
Um...that's tsouris...tsimmis is raisins and carrots....

Ranger Elenopa

Nov 19, 2008, 11:25:23 AM11/19/08

I'm going for a Doctor Who episode as well, but I'm choosing my
birthday as the date, 26th January 2009

Ranger Elenopa

John W. Kennedy

Nov 19, 2008, 12:34:20 PM11/19/08
On Nov 19, 10:14 am, Blair Leatherwood <bleatherw...@comcast.net>
wrote:

I was going to make the same correction, but it appears that "tsimmis"
is also used idiomatically to mean "to-do", "fuss", "bother"....

Oh, and a proper tsimmis has prunes.

--
John W. Kennedy
smarter than the average Gentile

Amy Guskin

Nov 19, 2008, 1:31:03 PM11/19/08
>> On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 10:14:39 -0500, thus spake Blair Leatherwood (in article
<gg1a8r$3eq$1...@news.motzarella.org>):

"Tsimmes" (not "tsimmis") is indeed that food, but it can also be used to
mean a big to-do, a mix-up, troubles, difficulties. "Tsuriss" (or "tsoriss")
is also used to be mean "troubles," but more in the sense of woes or
suffering. Personally, the word I'd have used there is "mishegoss."

Amy (when I worked in the music business, we used to say that Yiddish was the
vernacular)

Amy Guskin

Nov 19, 2008, 1:34:21 PM11/19/08
>> On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 12:34:20 -0500, thus spake John W. Kennedy (in article
<562f6071-4826-46f8...@v5g2000prm.googlegroups.com>):

Tsimmes is really a catch all for _any_ combination of chopped
fruit/vegetables in a sweet sort of salad. Those of us on the east coast are
just used to seeing it in its classic Ashkenazic version, which is the
carrots and raisins (with or without the prunes, depending on which
grandmother made it.

Amy

Kay Shapero

Nov 19, 2008, 4:31:34 PM11/19/08
In article <bc3b261c-9577-4062-b91f-d72c289d2bf4
@s9g2000prm.googlegroups.com>, mpvork...@hotmail.com says...

> See, this is what happens when you're part of the operations committee
> of a major regional con. You meet people.

Aha, next time I have to find a different job on the committee. Then
again, it may be different for small local cons where everybody's
wearing as many hats as Bartholemew Cubbins; I can recall ConFurences
where I never even SAW the GOH. (And one where I did, but only because
he was coming out of the Green Room whilst I was headed in.)

Kay Shapero

Nov 19, 2008, 4:43:18 PM11/19/08
In article <0001HW.C549C597...@news.verizon.net>,
ais...@fjordstone.com says...

> "Tsimmes" (not "tsimmis") is indeed that food, but it can also be used to
> mean a big to-do, a mix-up, troubles, difficulties. "Tsuriss" (or "tsoriss")
> is also used to be mean "troubles," but more in the sense of woes or
> suffering. Personally, the word I'd have used there is "mishegoss."

Right - Tsimmes is yummy, tsoriss is when it's the day before Sukkot
starts and you're chopping up all those carrots and prunes and apples
and things to make tsimmes while endlessly the door knocks and the
phone rings and it's never anybody you want to talk to; don't those
salesmen and JWs and Mormons have HOMES? And meanwhile the ones you do
want to talk to, do they ever phone? Write? Even emails? And all the
time everybody who is here is standing around and getting in the way in
the kitchen instead of doing something useful and... Oh, look at all
those lovely Narns with the baseball bats. Can you guys come back next
Sukkot and help put the sukkah up?

Dave Hayslett

Nov 19, 2008, 5:11:51 PM11/19/08

When tsimmie falls down the well, does tslassie come to get him out?

(I don't know. Don't ask me.)

--
Dave (11/19/2008 5:11:35 PM)

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Blair Leatherwood

Nov 19, 2008, 5:37:33 PM11/19/08
As long as we're in the Hebrew neck of the woods, here's something
slightly political (for those of you who haven't seen it yet):

Barack atah Illinois, Elohenu melech ha'olam, hoo-ray p'ri ha-electoral
landslide. Ameyn.

Blair

Jon Schild

Nov 19, 2008, 7:07:42 PM11/19/08

To coin a phrase, "Blessed are they who run around in circles, for they
shall be known as big wheels."

--
Wanted dead and/or alive: Shroedinger's cat.

mpvork...@hotmail.com

Nov 19, 2008, 9:19:36 PM11/19/08
On Nov 19, 3:43 pm, Kay Shapero <k...@kayshapero.net> wrote:
> In article <0001HW.C549C59703B5FAE1F0182...@news.verizon.net>,
> aisl...@fjordstone.com says...

Oh, my old drinking buddy D'Agostino had a perfect trick for dealing
with Witnesses. Back sometime in the mid-Seventies, they came breezing
through just as Joe was about to say goodnight to his girlfriend. They
got naked and grabbed the plant misters, she laid back on the couch,
and he opened the door at first knock. I don't think they ever came
back.

Mike

Amy Guskin

Nov 19, 2008, 9:58:43 PM11/19/08
<1q0iz1c0...@hayslett.sc.rr.com>):

> When tsimmie falls down the well, does tslassie come to get him out? <<

You know, I opened this message without noticing who'd posted it, but the
moment I read it I _KNEW_ it had to be you, Dave. <g>

Amy Guskin

Nov 19, 2008, 10:01:45 PM11/19/08
<gg2478$emi$1...@news.motzarella.org>):

> As long as we're in the Hebrew neck of the woods, here's something
> slightly political (for those of you who haven't seen it yet):
>
> Barack atah Illinois, Elohenu melech ha'olam, hoo-ray p'ri ha-electoral
> landslide. Ameyn. <,

HA! Well done, Blair. Where'd that come from?

Amy (whose Yiddish name is Baruche Faygel - which coincidentally makes me
wonder if "Barack" means "blessed" in Kenyan)

Dennis (Icarus)

Nov 19, 2008, 11:31:19 PM11/19/08

>>> On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 17:37:33 -0500, thus spake Blair Leatherwood (in
>>> article
> <gg2478$emi$1...@news.motzarella.org>):
>>>
>> As long as we're in the Hebrew neck of the woods, here's something
>> slightly political (for those of you who haven't seen it yet):
>>
>> Barack atah Illinois, Elohenu melech ha'olam, hoo-ray p'ri ha-electoral
>> landslide. Ameyn. <,
>
> HA! Well done, Blair. Where'd that come from?
>
> Amy (whose Yiddish name is Baruche Faygel - which coincidentally makes me
> wonder if "Barack" means "blessed" in Kenyan)

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_origin_of_the_name_Barack
Or, given that you may not trust that, as it is a wiki and we're not talking
about songs or tv shows.... ;-)
http://www.babynames.com/name/BARACK
http://www.behindthename.com/name/barak-2

Dennis

.

Amy Guskin

Nov 20, 2008, 7:46:45 AM11/20/08
>> On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 23:31:19 -0500, thus spake Dennis \(Icarus\) (in article
<cdf28$4924e822$4c49ae41$24...@KNOLOGY.NET>):

Yup, I figured that was all too likely. Thatnks.

Amy

Dave Hayslett

Nov 20, 2008, 8:32:17 AM11/20/08
On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 02:58:43 GMT, Amy Guskin wrote:

>>> On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 17:11:51 -0500, thus spake Dave Hayslett (in article
> <1q0iz1c0...@hayslett.sc.rr.com>):
>>
>> When tsimmie falls down the well, does tslassie come to get him out? <<
>
> You know, I opened this message without noticing who'd posted it, but the
> moment I read it I _KNEW_ it had to be you, Dave. <g>

Thank you, I'll be here all week. Try the fish!

:-D

--
Dave (11/20/2008 8:32:10 AM)

"The world is made for people who aren't cursed with self-awareness." --
Annie Savoy

Chris Patterson

Nov 20, 2008, 10:20:56 AM11/20/08
WARNING: SPEW ALERT -- Please ensure all beverages being consumed while
reading are completely swallowed before continuing. Thank you.

> One of them is the least likely thing anyone could possibly associate
> with me.

"Muppet Babies: The Movie" ??
Chris Patterson        chris dot s dot patterson at gmail dot com
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are
always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of
doubts." -- Bertrand Russell

Blair Leatherwood

Nov 20, 2008, 10:40:40 AM11/20/08
Amy Guskin wrote:
>>>On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 17:37:33 -0500, thus spake Blair Leatherwood (in article
>
> <gg2478$emi$1...@news.motzarella.org>):
>
>>As long as we're in the Hebrew neck of the woods, here's something
>>slightly political (for those of you who haven't seen it yet):
>>
>>Barack atah Illinois, Elohenu melech ha'olam, hoo-ray p'ri ha-electoral
>>landslide. Ameyn. <,
>

> HA! Well done, Blair. Where'd that come from?

No idea--just one of those intertube thingies that pops up from time to
time...

mpvork...@hotmail.com

Nov 19, 2008, 9:16:12 PM11/19/08
On Nov 19, 3:31 pm, Kay Shapero <k...@kayshapero.net> wrote:
> In article <bc3b261c-9577-4062-b91f-d72c289d2bf4
> @s9g2000prm.googlegroups.com>, mpvorkosi...@hotmail.com says...

> > See, this is what happens when you're part of the operations committee
> > of a major regional con. You meet people.
>
> Aha, next time I have to find a different job on the committee.  Then
> again, it may be different for small local cons where everybody's
> wearing as many hats as Bartholemew Cubbins; I can recall ConFurences
> where I never even SAW the GOH.  (And one where I did, but only because
> he was coming out of the Green Room whilst I was headed in.)
>
> --
> Kay Shaperohttp://www.kayshapero.net

MidSouth is very small, compared to some. We were lucky to get four
hundred most years. Usually it was three-fifty.

My very first con was Just Imagicon, in 1979. The chairs had gone to
Atlanta Fantasy Con and decided they could do as well in Memphis. They
were totally unprepared for the trainwreck it became. Tom and Lou
wrecked their health; Lou quit fandom completely, and Tom died three
years later. But...

The guest list included Ted Sturgeon, Sprague DeCamp, and Kelly Freas.
I never saw Sprague, but did bump into Ted for a few minutes, and
drank a bit too heavily with Bob Asprin, Gerry Page and Lon Atkins. I
wound up canoodling with a cute pixie brunette, and when I asked her
how old she was and got the answer '13', I all but teleported away. We
remained friends, but it was a tricksy little dance there for a bit.
Nice kid; joined the Air Force and went gay. Long story.

By the time I got out of con ops, I'd been running video for MSC for
ten years with little more than an occasional 'thanks' for my efforts.
In Nashville they seem to think a video room is a tv on a table
running stuff all by its lonesome. No programming, no real schedule,
no operator. And no quality. For me, video means the biggest damn
screen I can get, BluRay playback or better, huge speakers.. as close
to a theater as I can make it. These clowns won't listen.

My moment of supreme joy came in 2000, when I tied my own home stereo
into a 65" Sony. 250 watts per channel, quad, with my monster Fisher 4-
ways as primaries. Test movie? 'Jurassic Park'. The security guy came
from the other end of the building to tell me that they could feel the
dinos walking... Bliss.

Mike

mpvork...@hotmail.com

Nov 19, 2008, 9:01:10 PM11/19/08
On Nov 19, 12:31 pm, Amy Guskin <aisl...@fjordstone.com> wrote:
> >> On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 10:14:39 -0500, thus spake Blair Leatherwood (in article
>
> <gg1a8r$3e...@news.motzarella.org>):
> President-elect Barack Obama, November, 4, 2008- Hide quoted text -

I meant the mix-up, not the salad. And I do remember a lovely tsimmes
I used to make when I was a kid, that would just annoy the hell out of
my grandmother at breakfast. I'd chop up my eggs, scrambled or
otherwise, tear up the biscuits, tear up the sausages, and slosh gravy
over the whole mess, much to Ruby's disgust... and using the
definition of messy mix-up, it was very much a tsimmes. But mishegoss
will do.

And trust me, there ain't a Jewish bone in me anywhere. Cherokee,
Scots, Welsh, Anglo-French, yes. Even some Irish somewhere. No Jew.
That I know of. Mostly your typical American mutt. But I spent a
delightful month reading Rosten thirty years ago, and then reading it
again, and then reading it to my mother. According to Scotty Card,
that's the definition of Literate.

Mike

John Duncan Yoyo

Nov 20, 2008, 11:11:13 AM11/20/08
On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 16:07:37 GMT, "Charlie E." <edmo...@ieee.org>
wrote:

>On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 07:08:24 -0800 (PST), mpvork...@hotmail.com
>wrote:

>>> Just to play along, and add a little fuel to the fire....
>>>
>>> There are three non-comics, non-B5 projects that are signed, sealed
>>> and contracted for that have not yet been announced.
>>>
>>> One of them is the least likely thing anyone could possibly associate
>>> with me.
>>

>>You're scripting "Pinocchio" for Guillermo del Toro.

>>> One of them will come as a surprise to some but not to others.
>>

>>"Fantastic Voyage" for Roland Emmerich.

>>> One of them is a return to form.
>>

>>A big-screen version of "V".

>>> There is a fourth project which is two meetings away from being
>>> concluded.  If this one happens, I will die a happy man.
>>

>>An adaptation of Heinlein's "The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress", or
>>Bester's "The Stars My Destination". Preferably the latter.
>>
>>You're an evil man, Joe. You do know that.
>>
>>> jms
>>
>>Mike
>
>Oh Yes! Moon is a Harsh Mistress!
>
>Fillmed on location... 8-)

But it will take forever to build the set.

Dan Dassow

Nov 20, 2008, 10:00:14 PM11/20/08
On Nov 20, 9:20 am, Chris Patterson <chris_s_patter...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> WARNING: SPEW ALERT -- Please ensure all beverages being consumed while
> reading are completely swallowed before continuing. Thank you.
>
> > One of them is the least likely thing anyone could possibly associate
> > with me.
>
> "Muppet Babies: The Movie" ??

Chris,

Thank you for the SPEW ALERT! However, Jan cannot record your guess;
you forgot to guess the date. ;-)

Dan Dassow
At least you did not guess a Barney or Teletubby Movie. Eeeeeeek!

Duggy

Nov 21, 2008, 12:23:57 AM11/21/08
On Nov 18, 11:08 pm, Amy Guskin <aisl...@fjordstone.com> wrote:
> >> On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 00:55:16 -0500, thus spake Duggy (in article
>
> <67eb952f-62c6-4aea-986f-9ca1309a4...@a26g2000prf.googlegroups.com>):
>
> > On Nov 18, 1:14 pm, Amy Guskin <aisl...@fjordstone.com> wrote:
> >> Oh, I don't think he intended to get into the political discussion again.
> >> Seriously, I think this is one of Duggy's "jokes."  :-)

> > You don't think that asking for spoiler space for a 52 year old film
> > is funny?
> > You don't think that people actually thinking you wanted spoiler space
> > is icing? <<
> Meh.  This is a visual medium -- not an aural one -- so despite your absolute
> certainty that I should have been able to tell that that was a joke, I
> wasn't.  I don't know you well enough to know that you'd joke about something
> like that, and since the internet is _filled_ with people who go berserk
> about spoilers of any kind, I don't think it was funny at all _in that

> context_.  Only afterward when it had been explained to death, at which point
> it had had all the funny bled out of it, anyway.

Honestly, I'm not after an 100% hit rate. It assumed me, and that
people fell for it assumed me some more.

I can't and won't cater to every single person's whims and histories.

Yeah, explaining a joke kills it. That's why I didn't explain that I
was joking when I said that the message didn't get through in another
thread.

===
= DUG.
===

Elko T

Nov 21, 2008, 3:17:10 AM11/21/08
mpvork...@hotmail.com wrote:
> On Nov 18, 8:54 pm, Elko T <etcher...@acm.org> wrote:
>> A laudable attitude! I like it. But I was expecting, by your choice
>> of netname, that you knew ms. Bujold too...
>
> Never met the lady. After her minor freakout on Baen.com at my mention
> of writing scripts based on her stuff, I'm not sure if I should. I've
> read all her Vorkosiverse stuff, and love it. Miles is seriously cool,
> and to me is one of the two greatest overcompensation cases in
> fiction, the other being Robert Frederickson, George Chesbro's great
> private eye character. If you're not familiar with him, Mongo
> Frederickson is a brilliant deductive intellect, martial arts master
> and acrobat, who's about three-feet-six. His brother, Garth, got all
> the height at six-ten.

Had not heard of the character, or the author, who died recently,
as it turns out. Thanks for the tip - will keep an eye out for the stories.

> I will admit, I do admire Lois. But she's got the same apparent blind
> spot about adapting her stuff to film that a lot of print sf writers
> have. And that would lead to me trying to convince her of the error of
> her thinking, and she'd get mad, and I'd get mad... and a budding
> friendship would go straight down the tubes real friggin' fast.

Her mistrust of film adaptations may have a point, given how it's
usually handled. Take for example Goodkind's Sword of Truth series that
started airing as a TV adaptation recently. I just looked it up on IMDB,
and Goodkind is listed as a writer, but I wonder what influence he had
on the script. Not that the series is so bad - perhaps it might be
enjoyable to fans of Xena who never read the books - but why the
arbitrary changes that could all have been scripted to be as in the
book, not different? It is clear that for whatever reasons they did not
use the original grand plotline, but why change the small plot points?
And if it turns out that Terry Goodkind gave his OK to the whole thing, why?

> And I did leave two people off the list, one living, one dead.
> Frederik Pohl and Bob Jordan. Papa Pohl is possibly the last of the
> great ones from the old days, having been a member of the same gang of
> snot-nosed fanboys as Blish, Wollheim, Knight and Asimov.

He is one of the first sci-fi writers that I remember reading,
specifically "Tunnel under the World". I'm toying with the idea of a
sci-fi novel which, should I write it, will start with a homage to the
first sentence of that short story.

> I haven't seen Jordan since about '91, when he filled in as GoH at
> MidSouth after Bob Adams died. And now, sadly, I'll never smoke a pipe
> with him again. He was a good friend and a good writer.

Were you able to finish "The Wheel of Time"? I got stuck in book 3
or 4 (don't remember which). The first was very enjoyable, and the
Tolkien references were refreshing, the second still good, but
protracted, and then it bogged further down. But I'm sure he was a nice
fellow, and a good and interesting man, I wish I had known him (these
impressions are from reading his Web page).

> Oh, BTW, the reason for the Vorkosigan ID? When I lost my internet
> access shortly before I left Memphis, I was getting monster gobs of
> junkmail, and let my old email addy die. When I moved up here, that
> address wasn't available anymore. So I took a new one, and
> mpvorkosigan was the first one I could get with no numbers added to
> it. To give you an idea of how much I love a good mystery, my old
> address was bahi...@hotmail.com. Most folks never catch the
> reference.

When exactly did you leave Memphis? I lived there for three years
'95-'98, before moving to Maryland and Long Island.
And no, I don't catch the reference either - the most I can make of
it is the common hotel name "Bahia Mar". But then, I'm not really a
mystery fan, just hardcore sc-fi, a bit of fantasy, a bit of
old-fashioned detectives (Holmes, Poirot, Miss Marple, judge Dee etc.),
and poetry.

Amy Guskin

Nov 21, 2008, 7:19:11 AM11/21/08
<5d9cdff2-3394-43d6...@e38g2000prn.googlegroups.com>):

>> <67eb952f-62c6-4aea-986f-9ca1309a4...@a26g2000prf.googlegroups.com>):

>>> You don't think that asking for spoiler space for a 52 year old film
>>> is funny?
>>> You don't think that people actually thinking you wanted spoiler space
>>> is icing? <<
>> Meh.  This is a visual medium -- not an aural one -- so despite your
>> absolute
>> certainty that I should have been able to tell that that was a joke, I
>> wasn't.  I don't know you well enough to know that you'd joke about
>> something
>> like that, and since the internet is _filled_ with people who go berserk
>> about spoilers of any kind, I don't think it was funny at all _in that
>> context_.  Only afterward when it had been explained to death, at which
>> point
>> it had had all the funny bled out of it, anyway.
>
> Honestly, I'm not after an 100% hit rate. It assumed me, and that
> people fell for it assumed me some more. <<

Well, you know what they say about amusing yourself -- it makes an ass out of
u and me... (plus, you shouldn't post to the newsgroup before coffee, or
maybe you should have a word with that spellchecker <g>)

Amy

It is loading more messages.