Phoenix Comicon

Cheryl Martin

May 27, 2013, 10:58:09 AM5/27/13

Much fun, laughter, tears and hugs! If you were there, please post your
experiences! I had a wonderful time. The big reunion panel was very,
very special. And JMS' panel on Friday...there are no words.

I leave you with a pic:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10200986306801057&set=a.4530872031045.2184760.1268335063&type=1

and a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5KlNEh2Yo4

Cheryl
--
*Moderator: rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated ,sci.space.moderated *
*I am grey. I stand between the candle and the star. We are grey. *

Charlie E.

May 27, 2013, 1:53:36 PM5/27/13
On Mon, 27 May 2013 07:58:09 -0700, Cheryl Martin
<zof...@deepthot.org> wrote:

>Much fun, laughter, tears and hugs! If you were there, please post your
>experiences! I had a wonderful time. The big reunion panel was very,
>very special. And JMS' panel on Friday...there are no words.
>
>I leave you with a pic:
>
>https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10200986306801057&set=a.4530872031045.2184760.1268335063&type=1
>
>and a video:
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5KlNEh2Yo4
>
>Cheryl

It was fun, and nice to actually see so many of you in person. Lead
my first fan panel!

Was interesting sitting through two presentations that I normally
would not have gone to, Tara Strong a very talented and fun voice
actor, and then a farscape panel that was moved into the hall at the
last minute!

Nicole Massey

May 27, 2013, 7:59:57 PM5/27/13

"Cheryl Martin" <zof...@deepthot.org> wrote in message

> Much fun, laughter, tears and hugs! If you were there, please post your
> experiences! I had a wonderful time. The big reunion panel was very,
> very special. And JMS' panel on Friday...there are no words.

A shame, since I was unable to attend, so words are all I really have. I'd
appreciate it if someone could describe the pic to me.

zof...@deepthot.org

May 27, 2013, 8:42:46 PM5/27/13
In article <ko0s4m$q2r$1...@news.albasani.net>,
The pictureis of people from the newsgroup gathered in one of the panel rooms. It includes: Paul Hahn, John Schilling, Cheryl Martin, Charles Edmonson, Amy Guskin, Jay Denebeim, Caryn Dunkel, and Jan Schroeder

Nicole Massey

May 28, 2013, 7:40:10 AM5/28/13

<zof...@deepthot.org> wrote in message news:ko0ui6$glq$1...@dent.deepthot...
> In article <ko0s4m$q2r$1...@news.albasani.net>,
> Nicole Massey <ny...@gypsyheir.com> wrote:
>>
>>"Cheryl Martin" <zof...@deepthot.org> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Much fun, laughter, tears and hugs! If you were there, please post your
>>> experiences! I had a wonderful time. The big reunion panel was very,
>>> very special. And JMS' panel on Friday...there are no words.
>>
>>A shame, since I was unable to attend, so words are all I really have. I'd
>>appreciate it if someone could describe the pic to me.
>
> The pictureis of people from the newsgroup gathered in one of the panel
> rooms. It includes: Paul Hahn, John Schilling, Cheryl Martin, Charles
> Edmonson, Amy Guskin, Jay Denebeim, Caryn Dunkel, and Jan Schroeder

Thanks.

Jay E. Morris

May 28, 2013, 7:54:52 PM5/28/13
On 5/27/2013 7:42 PM, zof...@deepthot.org wrote:
> In article <ko0s4m$q2r$1...@news.albasani.net>,
> Nicole Massey <ny...@gypsyheir.com> wrote:
>>
>> "Cheryl Martin" <zof...@deepthot.org> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Much fun, laughter, tears and hugs! If you were there, please post your
>>> experiences! I had a wonderful time. The big reunion panel was very,
>>> very special. And JMS' panel on Friday...there are no words.
>>
>> A shame, since I was unable to attend, so words are all I really have. I'd
>> appreciate it if someone could describe the pic to me.
>
> The pictureis of people from the newsgroup gathered in one of the panel rooms. It includes: Paul Hahn, John Schilling, Cheryl Martin, Charles Edmonson, Amy Guskin, Jay Denebeim, Caryn Dunkel, and Jan Schroeder
>

> Cheryl

I really, really, really want a Tardis.

Amy Guskin

May 29, 2013, 6:12:27 PM5/29/13
(in article <alpine.DEB.2.02.1...@dent.deepthot>):

> Much fun, laughter, tears and hugs! If you were there, please post your
> experiences! I had a wonderful time. The big reunion panel was very,
> very special. And JMS' panel on Friday...there are no words. <<

I'll have to get around to posting my own reminiscences, but for now, I had a
lurker named Ilene contact me privately to ask me to post this:

"I've been a long-time lurker in r.a.s.t.b5.mod.  The last time I posted to
the unmoderated group was in 1995 but I don't think I ever posted to the
moderated group.

"I decided to go to Phoenix Comicon because of the B5 20th anniversary.  I'm
really glad I went, though I doubt I'll go to another Comicon--very large and
intense.  Among the serendipitous outcomes was that I remembered going to a
little con in Massachusetts years ago--it turned out to be Rebelcon in
Taunton in July 1996.  I vaguely remembered getting Michael O'Hare's
autograph, and I found it (personalized with my name).  So one of the
greatest gifts I received at Comicon was something I already had, and (in
view of the timeline discussed at Joe's Friday panel) it means more now.
Rick Biggs and Pat Tallman also were at Rebelcon.

"I introduced myself to a couple of newsgroup luminaries at the first B5
panel but didn't really do any socializing.  I went to most of the B5 events
and a couple of Whedon panels (no autographs or photo ops).  Saturday evening
I started feeling like I needed a change of venue so I decided to take in the
Padres-Diamondbacks game.  When the fire alarm went off on Sunday, it was
almost time for me to go to the airport anyway so I took off.

"Joe is a hoot!

"Back to lurking,
Ilene"

--
Diligent Moderatrix

zof...@deepthot.org

Jun 4, 2013, 1:58:01 PM6/4/13
In article <0001HW.CDCBF58B...@news.eternal-september.org>,
Amy Guskin <ais...@fjordstone.com> wrote:
>>> On Mon, 27 May 2013 10:58:09 -0400, Cheryl Martin wrote
>(in article <alpine.DEB.2.02.1...@dent.deepthot>):
>

>> Much fun, laughter, tears and hugs! If you were there, please post your
>> experiences! I had a wonderful time. The big reunion panel was very,
>> very special. And JMS' panel on Friday...there are no words. <<
>

>I'll have to get around to posting my own reminiscences, but for now, I had a
>lurker named Ilene contact me privately to ask me to post this:
>

>"I've been a long-time lurker in r.a.s.t.b5.mod.� The last time I posted to
>the unmoderated group was in 1995 but I don't think I ever posted to the
>moderated group.

~snip~

>"I introduced myself to a couple of newsgroup luminaries at the first B5
>panel but didn't really do any socializing.� I went to most of the B5 events
>and a couple of Whedon panels (no autographs or photo ops).� Saturday evening
>I started feeling like I needed a change of venue so I decided to take in the
>Padres-Diamondbacks game.� When the fire alarm went off on Sunday, it was
>almost time for me to go to the airport anyway so I took off.
>�
>"Joe is a hoot!
>�
>"Back to lurking,
>Ilene"

Awesome! She introduced herself to me and Jay. ~waves~ Ilene, I only
managed to do Phoenix Comicon by making sure I can run off and hide
when necessary. The largest con that I feel comfortable attending is
Worldcon and even there, I still take frequent breaks from the crowds.

Anyway, it was an amazing experience. Joe *is* a hoot. Everyone was
so great!

Nicole Massey

Jun 4, 2013, 3:12:43 PM6/4/13

<zof...@deepthot.org> wrote in message news:kol9r9$6bh$1...@dent.deepthot...
Okay, since we're talking about conventions, I seem to remember JMS doing a
return prank on Peter Jurasik and one other actor in retribution for a prior
thing they pulled at a convention. I can't remember their prank, and I've
never heard what JMS did to get them back. Can anyone enlighten me on these
two points?

Jay E. Morris

Jun 4, 2013, 10:10:41 PM6/4/13

Nicole Massey

Jun 4, 2013, 10:10:57 PM6/4/13

"Jay E. Morris" <mor...@epsilon3.com> wrote in message
Actually, JMS told the story in the link Sheryl posted, and yes, it's quite
funny.

Matthew Vincent

Jun 19, 2013, 2:53:48 AM6/19/13
On Tuesday, 28 May 2013 02:58:09 UTC+12, Cheryl Martin wrote:
> Much fun, laughter, tears and hugs! If you were there, please post your
>
> experiences! I had a wonderful time. The big reunion panel was very,
>
> very special. And JMS' panel on Friday...there are no words.

Oh! 19 years, of course!

Sleeping in Light.

Matthew

Amy Guskin

Jun 20, 2013, 8:09:12 AM6/20/13
(in article <kom6qm$g3f$1...@news.albasani.net>):

> "Jay E. Morris" <mor...@epsilon3.com> wrote in message

It has been interesting over the years to hear the joke script story told by
Joe, by Andreas, and by Peter. They all have (had) *slightly* different
interpretations of events.

Amy

--
Diligent Moderatrix

Andrew Swallow

Jun 20, 2013, 3:13:19 PM6/20/13
This is Pat (Lyta) Tallman's version.

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERV7fk2QmkU>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERV7fk2QmkU

Andrew Swallow

Amy Guskin

Jun 20, 2013, 4:17:43 PM6/20/13
>> On Thu, 20 Jun 2013 15:13:19 -0400, Andrew Swallow wrote
(in article <s_WdnbCt-s7XyV7M...@bt.com>):
Thanks, this was fun! The main difference between the three versions is that
I've heard Andreas say that, the minute he saw the script, he *knew* it was a
gag, and that it was the payback for the Pasadena convention mischief and
that no one else knew that it was a gag. And Peter says that *he* knew it was
a gag, and no one else did. And I am pretty sure I have heard JMS tell it
that *neither* of them knew it was a gag.

Both Andreas and Peter were apparently disappointed that they weren't
actually going to film it, though. :-D

Amy
--
Diligent Moderatrix

Andrew Swallow

Jun 20, 2013, 11:14:35 PM6/20/13
On 20/06/2013 21:17, Amy Guskin wrote:
{snip}

> Both Andreas and Peter were apparently disappointed that they weren't
> actually going to film it, though. :-D
>
> Amy

A test of their acting ability. You have to go back the Shakespeare to
find a good man in a dress role.

Andrew Swallow

Amy Guskin

Jun 21, 2013, 11:12:05 AM6/21/13
>> On Thu, 20 Jun 2013 23:14:35 -0400, Andrew Swallow wrote
(in article <w66dnXTkR46KWF7M...@bt.com>):
Exactly! Although, even modern renderings of A Midsummer Night's Dream have a
travesti: Flute, the bellows mender, portrays Thisbe in the play they present
at the Duke's wedding. Andreas was in A Midsummer Night's Dream at the Public
Theater in New York, in the early 80s, but he didn't get to play a woman
then, either: he was Snout the Tinker, so in the wedding play, he portrayed a
wall (or rather, "Wall"). :-)

Amy

--
Diligent Moderatrix

ne...@news.bbs.geek.nz

Jun 14, 2016, 8:33:47 PM6/14/16
From: "Nicole Massey" <ny...@gypsyheir.com>

"Cheryl Martin" <zof...@deepthot.org> wrote in message

> Much fun, laughter, tears and hugs! If you were there, please post your
> experiences! I had a wonderful time. The big reunion panel was very,
> very special. And JMS' panel on Friday...there are no words.

ne...@news.bbs.geek.nz

Jun 14, 2016, 8:34:57 PM6/14/16
From: Charlie E. <edmo...@ieee.org>

<zof...@deepthot.org> wrote:

>Much fun, laughter, tears and hugs! If you were there, please post your
>experiences! I had a wonderful time. The big reunion panel was very,
>very special. And JMS' panel on Friday...there are no words.
>
>I leave you with a pic:
>
>https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10200986306801057&set=a.4530872031045.
2184760.1268335063&type=1

>and a video:
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5KlNEh2Yo4
>
>Cheryl

ne...@news.bbs.geek.nz

Jun 14, 2016, 8:38:46 PM6/14/16
From: Amy Guskin <ais...@fjordstone.com>

>> On Mon, 27 May 2013 10:58:09 -0400, Cheryl Martin wrote
(in article <alpine.DEB.2.02.1...@dent.deepthot>):

> Much fun, laughter, tears and hugs! If you were there, please post your
> experiences! I had a wonderful time. The big reunion panel was very,
> very special. And JMS' panel on Friday...there are no words. <<

I'll have to get around to posting my own reminiscences, but for now, I had a
lurker named Ilene contact me privately to ask me to post this:

"I've been a long-time lurker in r.a.s.t.b5.mod.  The last time I posted to
the unmoderated group was in 1995 but I don't think I ever posted to the
moderated group.

"I decided to go to Phoenix Comicon because of the B5 20th anniversary.  I'm
really glad I went, though I doubt I'll go to another Comicon--very large and
intense.  Among the serendipitous outcomes was that I remembered going to a
little con in Massachusetts years ago--it turned out to be Rebelcon in
Taunton in July 1996.  I vaguely remembered getting Michael O'Hare's
autograph, and I found it (personalized with my name).  So one of the
greatest gifts I received at Comicon was something I already had, and (in
view of the timeline discussed at Joe's Friday panel) it means more now.
Rick Biggs and Pat Tallman also were at Rebelcon.

"I introduced myself to a couple of newsgroup luminaries at the first B5
panel but didn't really do any socializing.  I went to most of the B5 events
and a couple of Whedon panels (no autographs or photo ops).  Saturday evening
I started feeling like I needed a change of venue so I decided to take in the
Padres-Diamondbacks game.  When the fire alarm went off on Sunday, it was
almost time for me to go to the airport anyway so I took off.

"Joe is a hoot!

"Back to lurking,
Ilene"

--
Diligent Moderatrix

ne...@news.bbs.geek.nz

Jun 14, 2016, 8:38:52 PM6/14/16
From: Amy Guskin <ais...@fjordstone.com>

>> On Tue, 4 Jun 2013 22:10:57 -0400, Nicole Massey wrote
(in article <kom6qm$g3f$1...@news.albasani.net>):

> "Jay E. Morris" <mor...@epsilon3.com> wrote in message

>>> Okay, since we're talking about conventions, I seem to remember JMS doing
>>> return prank on Peter Jurasik and one other actor in retribution for a
>>> prior
>>> thing they pulled at a convention. I can't remember their prank, and I've
>>> never heard what JMS did to get them back. Can anyone enlighten me on
>>> these
>>> two points?
>>>

>> This one?
>> http://my.ohio.voyager.net/~surak/Babylon5/marcon32/marcon4.txt
>>
>> Flip down on screen.
>
> Actually, JMS told the story in the link Sheryl posted, and yes, it's quite
> funny. <<

It has been interesting over the years to hear the joke script story told by
Joe, by Andreas, and by Peter. They all have (had) *slightly* different
interpretations of events.

Amy

--
Diligent Moderatrix

ne...@news.bbs.geek.nz

Jun 14, 2016, 8:39:08 PM6/14/16
From: Andrew Swallow <am.sw...@btinternet.com>

On 20/06/2013 13:09, Amy Guskin wrote:
Andrew Swallow

ne...@news.bbs.geek.nz

Jun 14, 2016, 8:39:19 PM6/14/16
From: "Jay E. Morris" <mor...@epsilon3.com>

On 5/27/2013 7:42 PM, zof...@deepthot.org wrote:
> In article <ko0s4m$q2r$1...@news.albasani.net>,
> Nicole Massey <ny...@gypsyheir.com> wrote:
>>
>> "Cheryl Martin" <zof...@deepthot.org> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Much fun, laughter, tears and hugs! If you were there, please post your
>>> experiences! I had a wonderful time. The big reunion panel was very,
>>> very special. And JMS' panel on Friday...there are no words.
>>
>> A shame, since I was unable to attend, so words are all I really have. I'd
>> appreciate it if someone could describe the pic to me.
>
> The pictureis of people from the newsgroup gathered in one of the panel
rooms. It includes: Paul Hahn, John Schilling, Cheryl Martin, Charles Edmonson,
Amy Guskin, Jay Denebeim, Caryn Dunkel, and Jan Schroeder

> Cheryl

ne...@news.bbs.geek.nz

Jun 14, 2016, 8:39:34 PM6/14/16
From: "Nicole Massey" <ny...@gypsyheir.com>

<zof...@deepthot.org> wrote in message news:ko0ui6$glq$1...@dent.deepthot...
> In article <ko0s4m$q2r$1...@news.albasani.net>,
> Nicole Massey <ny...@gypsyheir.com> wrote:
>>
>>"Cheryl Martin" <zof...@deepthot.org> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Much fun, laughter, tears and hugs! If you were there, please post your
>>> experiences! I had a wonderful time. The big reunion panel was very,
>>> very special. And JMS' panel on Friday...there are no words.
>>
>>A shame, since I was unable to attend, so words are all I really have. I'd
>>appreciate it if someone could describe the pic to me.
>
> The pictureis of people from the newsgroup gathered in one of the panel
> rooms. It includes: Paul Hahn, John Schilling, Cheryl Martin, Charles
> Edmonson, Amy Guskin, Jay Denebeim, Caryn Dunkel, and Jan Schroeder

Thanks.

ne...@news.bbs.geek.nz

Jun 14, 2016, 8:41:29 PM6/14/16
From: Matthew Vincent <mbvi...@paradise.net.nz>