Happy Birthday Jay!

voxwoman

Feb 12, 2009, 6:11:43 AM2/12/09
Many many many happy returns of the day, oh keeper of the rasb5m
servers!

-Wendy

Dan Dassow

Feb 12, 2009, 2:29:21 PM2/12/09

Jay,

Hippo Bird Day Ewe Ewe.

Dan Dassow

Matthew Vincent

Feb 12, 2009, 4:41:35 PM2/12/09
On Feb 13, 12:11 am, voxwoman <voxwo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>Many many many happy returns of the day, oh
>keeper of the rasb5m servers!

Happy Birthday from me too, Jay!

Matthew

Amy Guskin

Feb 12, 2009, 6:40:21 PM2/12/09
<c2e34baf-0dbd-40b1...@33g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>):

> Many many many happy returns of the day, oh keeper of the rasb5m
> servers!
>
> -Wendy <<

Happy birthday, Jay!

Amy
--
Ten Thousand Questions Blog:
A Question a Day for Journaling, Self-Discovery, and Transformation

Jan

Feb 12, 2009, 7:26:44 PM2/12/09
In article <c2e34baf-0dbd-40b1...@33g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>,
voxwoman says...

>Many many many happy returns of the day, oh keeper of the rasb5m
>servers!

Same from me! Hope it's a great one!

Jan

--
Here, gathered together in common cause, we agree to recognize
this singular truth: that we are one; and this singular rule: that

Wes Struebing

Feb 12, 2009, 10:04:56 PM2/12/09
On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 03:11:43 -0800 (PST), voxwoman
<voxw...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Many many many happy returns of the day, oh keeper of the rasb5m
>servers!

Hippo Birdies two ewes, Harpo Bert ties too yew!

Jay Denebeim

Feb 13, 2009, 12:35:43 AM2/13/09
In article <c2e34baf-0dbd-40b1...@33g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>,

voxwoman <voxw...@gmail.com> wrote:
>Many many many happy returns of the day, oh keeper of the rasb5m
>servers!

Well, thanks Wendy. It was #50. I didn't realize I was born on the
centennial of the publishing of Origin of Species before today.

Cheryl threw a really big party for me for my 40th, but not this
time. I'm still a basket case about Lance.

Jay
--
* Jay Denebeim Moderator rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated *
* newsgroup submission address: b5...@deepthot.org *

David Williams

Feb 13, 2009, 9:54:17 AM2/13/09

"Jay Denebeim" <dene...@deepthot.org> wrote in message

> Cheryl threw a really big party for me for my 40th, but not this
> time. I'm still a basket case about Lance.

Perhaps... a really big party might be in order... something in the spirit
of an Irish wake...

At any rate, Happy Birthday... and continuing condolences.

Regards,
David Williams

lizardgirl

Feb 13, 2009, 12:21:28 PM2/13/09
On Feb 12, 4:11 am, voxwoman <voxwo...@gmail.com> wrote:

happy belated birthday jay!

seems we share a birthday month. :^)

lots of positive energy coming your way.

lg

voxwoman

Feb 13, 2009, 12:53:19 PM2/13/09
On Feb 13, 12:35 am, deneb...@deepthot.org (Jay Denebeim) wrote:
> In article <c2e34baf-0dbd-40b1-9342-638612124...@33g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>,

> voxwoman  <voxwo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >Many many many happy returns of the day, oh keeper of the rasb5m
> >servers!
>
> Well, thanks Wendy.  It was #50.  I didn't realize I was born on the
> centennial of the publishing of Origin of Species before today.
>
> Cheryl threw a really big party for me for my 40th, but not this
> time.  I'm still a basket case about Lance.

I had my 50th birthday "under the radar" 2 birthdays ago. I think I
preferred it that way.

I celebrated by letting my hair go gray.

*hugs*

-Wendy

Cheryl Martin

Feb 13, 2009, 5:14:21 PM2/13/09
In article <gn30rf$23b$1...@dent.deepthot.org>,

Jay Denebeim <dene...@deepthot.org> wrote:
>In article <c2e34baf-0dbd-40b1...@33g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>,
>voxwoman <voxw...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>Many many many happy returns of the day, oh keeper of the rasb5m
>>servers!
>
>Well, thanks Wendy. It was #50. I didn't realize I was born on the
>centennial of the publishing of Origin of Species before today.
>
>Cheryl threw a really big party for me for my 40th, but not this
>time. I'm still a basket case about Lance.

I did, however, take him out for a fabulous meal. He baked his own
cake 'cause he's really picky like that. It was delicious!

And we are getting a parrot tomorrow. An umbrella cockatoo named
Jaynie who is a very sweet, loving bird (she was abandoned by her
owner, poor thing).

Cheryl

--
*Moderator: rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated ,sci.space.moderated *
*http://www.grumpywitch.org http://dragonnette.livejournal.com *

mpvork...@hotmail.com

Feb 13, 2009, 11:43:19 PM2/13/09
On Feb 12, 11:35 pm, deneb...@deepthot.org (Jay Denebeim) wrote:
> In article <c2e34baf-0dbd-40b1-9342-638612124...@33g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>,
>
> voxwoman  <voxwo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >Many many many happy returns of the day, oh keeper of the rasb5m
> >servers!
>
> Well, thanks Wendy.  It was #50.  I didn't realize I was born on the
> centennial of the publishing of Origin of Species before today.
>
> Cheryl threw a really big party for me for my 40th, but not this
> time.  I'm still a basket case about Lance.

The loss never gets any easier to bear, Jay. Our pets are like our
kids; when we lose one, it hurts like hell. I still miss my calico
stubbytail baby, Hillary, and she's been with the cat angels for ten
years now. And bfore anyone asks, I named her after Sir Edmund, not
Mrs Clinton; Hillary was the climbingest cat I ever saw. If it was
there, she'd go scooting up it.

I miss her. I miss Elvis, the first cat Clara and I had; he got hit by
a car one night after he bugged us into letting him out. That still
kills me to think about it.

Losing a pet is never easy, and when you've had one as long as you had
Lance, it's devastating.

But dude, it's still yer birthday. Happy happy.

Mike

Bill

Feb 14, 2009, 4:15:21 PM2/14/09
On Feb 13, 12:35�am, deneb...@deepthot.org (Jay Denebeim) wrote:

> Well, thanks Wendy. �It was #50. �I didn't realize I was born on the
> centennial of the publishing of Origin of Species before today.

At least you can consistently be proud of your birthday. I hid under
the covers on my 30th and 34th birthdays. Not because I had any great
concerns about my age, but because I wanted nothing to do with the
Presidential appointments of 2000 and 2004. Many more happy birthdays
to you

Bill

Jay Denebeim

Feb 15, 2009, 2:01:19 PM2/15/09
In article <gn4rbt$h6p$1...@dent.deepthot.org>,

Cheryl Martin <zof...@zaphod.deepthot.org> wrote:
>In article <gn30rf$23b$1...@dent.deepthot.org>,
>Jay Denebeim <dene...@deepthot.org> wrote:
>>In article <c2e34baf-0dbd-40b1...@33g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>,
>>voxwoman <voxw...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>Many many many happy returns of the day, oh keeper of the rasb5m
>>>servers!
>>
>>Well, thanks Wendy. It was #50. I didn't realize I was born on the
>>centennial of the publishing of Origin of Species before today.
>>
>>Cheryl threw a really big party for me for my 40th, but not this
>>time. I'm still a basket case about Lance.
>
>I did, however, take him out for a fabulous meal. He baked his own
>cake 'cause he's really picky like that. It was delicious!
>
>And we are getting a parrot tomorrow. An umbrella cockatoo named
>Jaynie who is a very sweet, loving bird (she was abandoned by her
>owner, poor thing).

Jaynie is in the other room right now. I think I'm going to start
calling her Satay. (No, not satai, although she does have a crest
being a cockatoo and all)

Amy Guskin

Feb 16, 2009, 9:01:49 AM2/16/09
<gn9opv$f8n$1...@dent.deepthot.org>):

> In article <gn4rbt$h6p$1...@dent.deepthot.org>,
> Cheryl Martin <zof...@zaphod.deepthot.org> wrote:
>> In article <gn30rf$23b$1...@dent.deepthot.org>,
>> Jay Denebeim <dene...@deepthot.org> wrote:
>>> In article
>>> <c2e34baf-0dbd-40b1...@33g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>,
>>>
>>> Well, thanks Wendy. It was #50. I didn't realize I was born on the
>>> centennial of the publishing of Origin of Species before today.
>>>
>>> Cheryl threw a really big party for me for my 40th, but not this
>>> time. I'm still a basket case about Lance.
>>
>> I did, however, take him out for a fabulous meal. He baked his own
>> cake 'cause he's really picky like that. It was delicious!
>>
>> And we are getting a parrot tomorrow. An umbrella cockatoo named
>> Jaynie who is a very sweet, loving bird (she was abandoned by her
>> owner, poor thing).
>
> Jaynie is in the other room right now. I think I'm going to start
> calling her Satay. (No, not satai, although she does have a crest
> being a cockatoo and all) <<

Er...like the tasty Thai appetizer?

Cheryl Martin

Feb 16, 2009, 9:45:50 AM2/16/09
In article <0001HW.C5BEDBFE...@news.verizon.net>,

Which is actually Indonesian in origin and so are umbrella cockatoos!

Jay Denebeim

Feb 16, 2009, 9:52:18 AM2/16/09
>>> On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 14:01:19 -0500, thus spake Jay Denebeim (in article
><gn9opv$f8n$1...@dent.deepthot.org>):

>> Jaynie is in the other room right now. I think I'm going to start

>> calling her Satay. (No, not satai, although she does have a crest
>> being a cockatoo and all) <<

>Er...like the tasty Thai appetizer?

Made with chicken and peanuts, yes.

Paul Hahn

Feb 16, 2009, 10:19:05 AM2/16/09
On Mon, 16 Feb 2009, Jay Denebeim wrote:
>><gn9opv$f8n$1...@dent.deepthot.org>):
>>> Jaynie is in the other room right now. I think I'm going to start
>>> calling her Satay. (No, not satai, although she does have a crest
>>> being a cockatoo and all) <<
>
>> Er...like the tasty Thai appetizer?
>
> Made with chicken and peanuts, yes.

I used to live near a used book store whose owner had a bird (don't
remember what kind, sorry--something small, might have been a budgie)
whom he had named Cat Food.
--
--pH <many...@wustl.edu> http://library.wustl.edu/~manynote
We need a voting system that avoids vote-splitting, reduces the

Dan Dassow

Feb 16, 2009, 12:15:23 PM2/16/09
On Feb 16, 9:19 am, Paul Hahn <manyn...@wustl.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Feb 2009, Jay Denebeim wrote:

> >><gn9opv$f8...@dent.deepthot.org>):

> >> Er...like the tasty Thai appetizer?
>
> > Made with chicken and peanuts, yes.
>
> I used to live near a used book store whose owner had a bird (don't
> remember what kind, sorry--something small, might have been a budgie)
> whom he had named Cat Food.

Paul, by any chances was that used book store in University City?
I vaguely remember knowing someone who did that.

Dan Dassow

Paul Hahn

Feb 16, 2009, 12:58:34 PM2/16/09

Yes, in The Loop.

Amy Guskin

Feb 16, 2009, 1:33:02 PM2/16/09
>> On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 09:45:50 -0500, thus spake Cheryl Martin (in article
<gnbu6u$38o$1...@dent.deepthot.org>):

Ah! I see! And here I was, thinking that it might not be flattering to name
a bird after a chicken appetizer... ;-)

Bill

Feb 17, 2009, 10:06:08 AM2/17/09
On Feb 16, 10:19�am, Paul Hahn <manyn...@wustl.edu> wrote:
> I used to live near a used book store whose owner had a bird (don't
> remember what kind, sorry--something small, might have been a budgie)
> whom he had named Cat Food.
> --

Speaking strictly as a guy who has had cats most of his life, isn't
that the name for almost every bird? ;)

Bill

Jay Denebeim

Feb 19, 2009, 12:35:04 AM2/19/09
In article <a8d64ede-3441-46e9...@q18g2000vbn.googlegroups.com>,
Bill <feline...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Speaking strictly as a guy who has had cats most of his life, isn't
>that the name for almost every bird? ;)

You obviously have not been around large parrots. When Lance was
really young we lived in Lexington KY. One of the neighborhood cats
was quite a birder. You'd always seen him carry around dead birds.
One day he started stalking Lance. Lance spread his wings and yelled
at him. Keep in mind a blue and gold macaw's wing span is 4 feet, and
he has a vice grip on his face. The cat did the wide eye freak out
disppear thing. Never saw him around our place again.

Since then I always worried about the cats more than the birds.

Dogs on the other hand Lance was wary of, for good reason.

Bill

Feb 19, 2009, 9:35:14 AM2/19/09
On Feb 19, 12:35�am, deneb...@deepthot.org (Jay Denebeim) wrote:
> In article <a8d64ede-3441-46e9-af66-000b480ec...@q18g2000vbn.googlegroups.com>,

> Bill �<feline_ran...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >Speaking strictly as a guy who has had cats most of his life, isn't
> >that the name for almost every bird? ;)
>
> You obviously have not been around large parrots. �When Lance was
> really young we lived in Lexington KY. �One of the neighborhood cats
> was quite a birder. �You'd always seen him carry around dead birds.
> One day he started stalking Lance. �Lance spread his wings and yelled
> at him. �Keep in mind a blue and gold macaw's wing span is 4 feet, and
> he has a vice grip on his face. �The cat did the wide eye freak out
> disppear thing. �Never saw him around our place again.
>
> Since then I always worried about the cats more than the birds.
>
> Dogs on the other hand Lance was wary of, for good reason.

True, I don't have any experience with any kind of bird. But I do know
that most cat fights are settled by size or the illusion of size long
before the first paw is ever thrown. A cat who sees that wingspan
would think (paraphrased, of course), "Holy crap, that's HUGE! I'm
outta here!" Later the cat would just tell you he wasn't interested
anyway ;)

Bill

lizardgirl

Feb 19, 2009, 12:17:16 PM2/19/09
On Feb 18, 10:35 pm, deneb...@deepthot.org (Jay Denebeim) wrote:
> In article <a8d64ede-3441-46e9-af66-000b480ec...@q18g2000vbn.googlegroups.com>,
>
> Bill  <feline_ran...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >Speaking strictly as a guy who has had cats most of his life, isn't
> >that the name for almost every bird? ;)
>
> You obviously have not been around large parrots.  When Lance was
> really young we lived in Lexington KY.  One of the neighborhood cats
> was quite a birder.  You'd always seen him carry around dead birds.
> One day he started stalking Lance.  Lance spread his wings and yelled
> at him.  Keep in mind a blue and gold macaw's wing span is 4 feet, and
> he has a vice grip on his face.  The cat did the wide eye freak out
> disppear thing.  Never saw him around our place again.
>
> Since then I always worried about the cats more than the birds.
>
> Dogs on the other hand Lance was wary of, for good reason.

my uncle had a macaw. if that bird could have carried a sword we'd
all be dead.

lg

Jay Denebeim

Feb 21, 2009, 5:48:51 PM2/21/09
In article <7876a7e7-ed04-4bd0...@w35g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>,

>True, I don't have any experience with any kind of bird. But I do know
>that most cat fights are settled by size or the illusion of size long
>before the first paw is ever thrown. A cat who sees that wingspan
>would think (paraphrased, of course), "Holy crap, that's HUGE! I'm
>outta here!" Later the cat would just tell you he wasn't interested
>anyway ;)

Many years ago I was dating a wonder woman named Kimm. She had a cat
named Sheba who Lance liked to give trouble to. Lance was always
around me at that time, he'd come sit on the couch with me when we
went over to her house. Now Sheba was under the impression that the
house belonged to her, and that she could snooze on the couch if she
wanted to. Lance disavowed her of that impression on many occasions.

One day it became too much for the cat. He started running after her
on the couch with that really intimidating beak opened and the wings
out like usual. This time though, it was different, she wasn't going
to take it anymore so she let him have it *wham* right in the face
with her paw.

Nothing happened. She turned her paw downside up, looked at it, and
realized she had no claws. The OH SHIT expression was clearly on her
face. Then she did the POOF cat here? There is no cat here thing and
teleported underneath the bed.

After that she was scarce whenever he came over.