JMS New Babylon 5 related project (sorry if it´s already been mentioned).

11 views
Skip to first unread message

Pedro Almeida

unread,
Jan 29, 2004, 8:18:37 PM1/29/04
to
Are there any news about the project ? I read that a confirmation was due by
the end of January. Has he said anything yet ?

Thanks.


Ben Frazer

unread,
Jan 29, 2004, 8:28:14 PM1/29/04
to
Lol, no - but you subject line certainly did make my heart skip a beat for a
moment there!

"Pedro Almeida" <pmsa...@sapo.pt> wrote in message
news:40198b5e$0$8799$a729...@news.telepac.pt...

Aisling Willow Grey

unread,
Jan 29, 2004, 8:35:09 PM1/29/04
to
>>On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 20:28:14 -0500, Ben Frazer wrote
(in message <xqiSb.33796$6O4.9...@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>):

> Lol, no - but you subject line certainly did make my heart skip a beat for a
> moment there!<<

Yeah, me too -- YEEESH!!! Don't give us all heart attacks! ;-p

Aisling

Pelzo63

unread,
Jan 29, 2004, 9:02:31 PM1/29/04
to
<< Are there any news about the project ? I read that a confirmation was due by
the end of January. Has he said anything yet ? >><BR><BR>

no, and it's not "due by the end of january" JMS posted that he could not post
anything until after january 15th, but in an attempt to caution us from
expecting something THAT DAY, he said it would be more likely closer to the end
of january. and the beginning of february(till the 15th! or noon on the 16th,
depending on just HOW anal one wants to get, hehe) is still closer to the end
of january than the 15th of january.

...Chris
People like you make me want to access your brain, and type rm -r -f /

Wendy of NJ

unread,
Jan 29, 2004, 9:36:15 PM1/29/04
to
On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 02:02:31 +0000 (UTC), pel...@aol.com (Pelzo63)
wrote:

><< Are there any news about the project ? I read that a confirmation was due by
>the end of January. Has he said anything yet ? >><BR><BR>
>
>no, and it's not "due by the end of january" JMS posted that he could not post
>anything until after january 15th, but in an attempt to caution us from
>expecting something THAT DAY, he said it would be more likely closer to the end
>of january. and the beginning of february(till the 15th! or noon on the 16th,
>depending on just HOW anal one wants to get, hehe) is still closer to the end
>of january than the 15th of january.


OK. This has gone on far too long.... did JMS say it was this
YEAR?????

-Wendy

Pelzo63

unread,
Jan 29, 2004, 9:47:42 PM1/29/04
to
<< OK. This has gone on far too long.... did JMS say it was this
YEAR????? >><BR><BR>


come to think of it.....

<g>

Jms at B5

unread,
Jan 30, 2004, 12:01:43 AM1/30/04
to
It's taken longer than hoped for to be able to talk about this, because it's
taken longer than hoped for to go through all the machinations of the deal.
Depending on the nature of a given deal, it can take a few weeks to a couple,
three months to actually cut the deal and finalize the language in terms
everybody can agree with. We only literally finished the deal last week.

Writing on B5:TMoS is complete, and as soon as the powers that be sign off on
everything, it can be turned in and we can start moving. At that point, I can
say more about this.

Figure another couple of weeks.

jms

(jms...@aol.com)
(all message content (c) 2004 by synthetic worlds, ltd.,
permission to reprint specifically denied to SFX Magazine
and don't send me story ideas)


Aisling Willow Grey

unread,
Jan 30, 2004, 12:27:30 AM1/30/04
to
>>On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 0:01:43 -0500, Jms at B5 wrote
(in message <20040130000027...@mb-m10.aol.com>):

> From: jms...@aol.com (Jms at B5)
> Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated
>
> It's taken longer than hoped for to be able to talk about this, because it's
> taken longer than hoped for to go through all the machinations of the deal.
> Depending on the nature of a given deal, it can take a few weeks to a couple,
> three months to actually cut the deal and finalize the language in terms
> everybody can agree with. We only literally finished the deal last week.
>
> Writing on B5:TMoS is complete, and as soon as the powers that be sign off on
> everything, it can be turned in and we can start moving. At that point, I
> can
> say more about this.
>
> Figure another couple of weeks.<<

B5:TMoS???

Ack! I can't stand this!!!!!! :-p There is, however, a silver lining:
anxiety is great for weight loss. So, when bathing suit weather arrives, I
for one will thank you, Joe. <g>

Aisling

Aisling Willow Grey

unread,
Jan 30, 2004, 12:30:32 AM1/30/04
to
>>On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 0:01:43 -0500, Jms at B5 wrote
(in message <20040130000027...@mb-m10.aol.com>):
>
>
> Writing on B5:TMoS is complete,<<

Okay, I'm going to go first:

Babylon 5: The Meaning of Spoo

Aisling

Pelzo63

unread,
Jan 30, 2004, 12:33:03 AM1/30/04
to
<< Writing on B5:TMoS is complete, and as soon as the powers that be sign off
on
everything, it can be turned in and we can start moving. At that point, I can
say more about this. >><BR><BR>


tmos....tmos...

Theatrical Movie, original Story. <g>

The mother of Sheridan?!

Blair Leatherwood

unread,
Jan 30, 2004, 12:36:06 AM1/30/04
to
Aisling Willow Grey wrote:
>>>On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 0:01:43 -0500, Jms at B5 wrote
>>
> (in message <20040130000027...@mb-m10.aol.com>):
>
>
>>From: jms...@aol.com (Jms at B5)
>>Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated
>>
>>It's taken longer than hoped for to be able to talk about this, because it's
>>taken longer than hoped for to go through all the machinations of the deal.
>>Depending on the nature of a given deal, it can take a few weeks to a couple,
>>three months to actually cut the deal and finalize the language in terms
>>everybody can agree with. We only literally finished the deal last week.
>>
>>Writing on B5:TMoS is complete, and as soon as the powers that be sign off on
>>everything, it can be turned in and we can start moving. At that point, I
>>can
>>say more about this.
>>
>>Figure another couple of weeks.<<
>
>
> B5:TMoS???
>
The Minbari of Steel?
The Mollari of Spoo?


Rob Perkins

unread,
Jan 30, 2004, 1:13:16 AM1/30/04
to
jms...@aol.com (Jms at B5) wrote:

>Writing on B5:TMoS is complete

You are an evil, evil, evil, evil, evil man, and if it weren't just
TeeVee, I'd never forgive you.

:-)

Rob

Eliyahu Rooff

unread,
Jan 30, 2004, 1:17:37 AM1/30/04
to

"Pelzo63" <pel...@aol.com> wrote in message
news:20040130003157...@mb-m22.aol.com...

> << Writing on B5:TMoS is complete, and as soon as the powers that be
sign off
> on
> everything, it can be turned in and we can start moving. At that
point, I can
> say more about this. >><BR><BR>
>
>
> tmos....tmos...
>
> Theatrical Movie, original Story. <g>
>
> The mother of Sheridan?!
>
Triluminary-Modified operating System?

The Man of Steel? Never mind... wrong universe...

Too Many odd Suggestions?

Eliyahu


Jan

unread,
Jan 30, 2004, 1:30:24 AM1/30/04
to
JMS wrote:

>Writing on B5:TMoS is complete, and as soon as the powers that be sign off on
>everything, it can be turned in and we can start moving. At that point, I
>can
>say more about this.
>
>Figure another couple of weeks.
>

Thanks for that much at least, JMS!

Now we've got something to play with...

B5:TMoS - Theatrical Movie of Sorts
B5:TMoS - Telepaths Move on Saturday
B5:TMoS - Terribly Mean of Straczynski

Jan

Matt Ion

unread,
Jan 30, 2004, 2:06:27 AM1/30/04
to

"Aisling Willow Grey" <ais...@fjordstone.com> wrote in message
news:0001HW.BC3F55E7...@news.verizon.net...

Nooooooooobody expects the Vorlon Inquisition!


David Williams

unread,
Jan 30, 2004, 2:09:21 AM1/30/04
to

"Matt Ion" <sou...@moltenimage.com> wrote in message
news:fhnSb.338715$ts4.72485@pd7tw3no...

>
> "Aisling Willow Grey" <ais...@fjordstone.com> wrote in message
> news:0001HW.BC3F55E7...@news.verizon.net...
> > >>On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 0:01:43 -0500, Jms at B5 wrote
> > (in message <20040130000027...@mb-m10.aol.com>):
> > >
> > >
> > > Writing on B5:TMoS is complete,<<
> >
> > Okay, I'm going to go first:
> >
> > Babylon 5: The Meaning of Spoo

Actually, it's a horror flick:
Babylon5: The MIND of Straczynski

-David W.


ProselytizeThis

unread,
Jan 30, 2004, 2:53:28 AM1/30/04
to

The Meatballs of Swedes?
Or The Marriages of Sheridan?
The Mutation of Sinclair?
Then there's the one I'd like:
The Men of Space, featuring pictures of our favorite B5 guys as naked babies on
bearskin rugs with them recreating that pose now <vbg>
The Mammaries of Susan? Nope...no writing there, just photographs <eg>
How about I shut up with this one:
The Meaninglessness of Speculation.

Kerry, who is running for cover

Thunder v.2.0.0.4

unread,
Jan 30, 2004, 3:04:53 AM1/30/04
to
The Minstrations of Sugar?
Telepath Monopoly of Space?
Trans Morphing Optical Stuff?
The Meaning of Shit? (a metaphorical look at life)
The Mighty Obvious Script?

Ah well, at least we got something. :)

t.k.


Iain Rae

unread,
Jan 30, 2004, 6:27:05 AM1/30/04
to
The Mound of Scripts?


--
Iain Rae Tel:01316505202
Computing Officer JCMB:2418
School of Informatics
The University of Edinburgh


Jan

unread,
Jan 30, 2004, 6:47:32 AM1/30/04
to
Iain Rae wrote:

>The Mound of Scripts?

Mine...Minemineminemine, you hear?? My prescioussssssssss scripts's....

Jan
Ooops, did I say that out loud? ;-)

Wendy of NJ

unread,
Jan 30, 2004, 8:26:00 AM1/30/04
to

The Movie of Surprises?
Time Makes Our Society?
Twenty Minbari Order Sandwiches?


>
>

Michael F. Luoma

unread,
Jan 30, 2004, 8:26:42 AM1/30/04
to
The Movie Script?

Blurrt

unread,
Jan 30, 2004, 8:26:53 AM1/30/04
to

"Jms at B5" <jms...@aol.com> wrote in message
news:20040130000027...@mb-m10.aol.com...

> Writing on B5:TMoS is complete,

The Memory of Shadows

Nathan


The Phoenix

unread,
Jan 30, 2004, 8:26:53 AM1/30/04
to
*jumps out of lurk mode*

I'll take a stab and say it's "The Movement of Shadows". That happens when
we're not looking, ya know. ;)

J


Wendy of NJ

unread,
Jan 30, 2004, 8:39:38 AM1/30/04
to

good one!

>Nathan
>
>
>

Joseph DeMartino

unread,
Jan 30, 2004, 1:16:42 PM1/30/04
to
B5:TMoS?

"B5:TMoS?"

You call this an UPDATE?

You sick, twisted, sadistic sonnuvabitch. <g>

Where is the NBS when we *really* need them?

Joe


Chris Patterson

unread,
Jan 30, 2004, 1:22:20 PM1/30/04
to
In article <20040130000027...@mb-m10.aol.com>,

jms...@aol.com (Jms at B5) wrote:

> Writing on B5:TMoS is complete

Oh, who can resist THAT??

mix and match any of the following:

The Mark of Shadows
The Memory of Sheridan
The Murder of Shiv'kala
The Martyrdom of Sinclair
The Mystery of Souls

or perhaps:

Telepath Minds on Speed

LOL! This should keep us busy for a couple weeks!
--
=====================================================================
Chris Patterson chrispatterson.at.comcast.dot.net
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are
always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
-- Bertrand Russell
=====================================================================

Andrew Swallow

unread,
Jan 30, 2004, 1:32:05 PM1/30/04
to

"Jms at B5" <jms...@aol.com> wrote in message
news:20040130000027...@mb-m10.aol.com...
> It's taken longer than hoped for to be able to talk about this, because
it's
> taken longer than hoped for to go through all the machinations of the
deal.
> Depending on the nature of a given deal, it can take a few weeks to a
couple,
> three months to actually cut the deal and finalize the language in terms
> everybody can agree with. We only literally finished the deal last week.
>
> Writing on B5:TMoS is complete, and as soon as the powers that be sign off
on
> everything, it can be turned in and we can start moving. At that point, I
can
> say more about this.
>
> Figure another couple of weeks.
>
> jms

A routine film deal on a minor TV show should not take long to
negotiate. Lots of negotiations means either a high price or
the deal is not routine.

JMS strikes again. There is more to the B5:TMoS deal than we
know.

Merchandising?
Foreign trips?
Spin off series?
Direct to DVD?
Different TV channel?
Actors have 90 year royalty agreements?
Actors and writer on x% of box office takings?
New technology for the special effects?
A series of films?

Something that I have not thought of yet?

Andrew Swallow


Iain Clark

unread,
Jan 30, 2004, 1:45:39 PM1/30/04
to

My fiancee came up with that one too. It's my current favourite. :-)

More likely this is the beginning of Babylon 5: The Music of Sondheim.
In the tradition of Cop Rock comes B5: the Musical ...a whole army of
singing telepaths... just imagine....

Iain
--
XANDER: Am I right, Giles?
GILES: I'm almost certain you're not, but to be fair, I wasn't listening.


macthe...@yahoo.com

unread,
Jan 30, 2004, 1:57:23 PM1/30/04
to
Wendy of NJ <voxw...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<ccnk10h2m94cbab4u...@4ax.com>...

Might be better if we didn't speculate where JMS is known to read
messages.

OTOH, since JMS posted "TMoS" here, he'd know that speculation would
be too tempting, and so TMoS could be 100% misdirection.

KoshN

Jan

unread,
Jan 30, 2004, 1:58:30 PM1/30/04
to
Andrew Swallow pondered

<<Something that I have not thought of yet?>>

JMS post from 12/15 referring to Jeremiah
:
<<A very well written contract.>>

It's business. They naturally want to pay least, JMS doesn't work cheap.

Probably.

Jan

Jan

unread,
Jan 30, 2004, 2:03:38 PM1/30/04
to
Mac Breck wrote:

>Might be better if we didn't speculate where JMS is known to read
>messages.

I haven't seen any story ideas so far so what harm?

>OTOH, since JMS posted "TMoS" here, he'd know that speculation would
>be too tempting, and so TMoS could be 100% misdirection.

Could be. Or he knows we'll never guess it or he's just trying to say what he
can even though he can't say anything.

He didn't say anything then and I'm not saying anything now ;-)

Jan

Aisling Willow Grey

unread,
Jan 30, 2004, 2:05:09 PM1/30/04
to
>>On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 13:45:39 -0500, Iain Clark wrote
(in message <ud9l109h0sd9ol9o5...@4ax.com>):

> On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 13:39:38 +0000 (UTC), Wendy of NJ
> <voxw...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 13:26:53 +0000 (UTC), "Blurrt"
>> <nsa...@optushome.com.au> wrote:
>>
>>>
>>> "Jms at B5" <jms...@aol.com> wrote in message
>>> news:20040130000027...@mb-m10.aol.com...
>>>
>>>> Writing on B5:TMoS is complete,
>>>
>>> The Memory of Shadows
>>
>> good one!
>
> My fiancee came up with that one too. It's my current favourite. :-)
>
> More likely this is the beginning of Babylon 5: The Music of Sondheim.
> In the tradition of Cop Rock comes B5: the Musical ...a whole army of
> singing telepaths... just imagine....<<

We already had those.

Aisling

Aisling Willow Grey

unread,
Jan 30, 2004, 2:06:51 PM1/30/04
to
>>On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 13:32:05 -0500, Andrew Swallow wrote
(in message <bve7rp$cah$1...@sparta.btinternet.com>):

>
> "Jms at B5" <jms...@aol.com> wrote in message
> news:20040130000027...@mb-m10.aol.com...
>> It's taken longer than hoped for to be able to talk about this, because
> it's
>> taken longer than hoped for to go through all the machinations of the
> deal.
>> Depending on the nature of a given deal, it can take a few weeks to a
> couple,
>> three months to actually cut the deal and finalize the language in terms
>> everybody can agree with. We only literally finished the deal last week.
>>
>> Writing on B5:TMoS is complete, and as soon as the powers that be sign off
> on
>> everything, it can be turned in and we can start moving. At that point, I
> can
>> say more about this.
>>
>> Figure another couple of weeks.
>>
>> jms
>
> A routine film deal on a minor TV show should not take long to
> negotiate. Lots of negotiations means either a high price or
> the deal is not routine.<<

There's no such thing as a "routine" deal in tv or film!

Aisling

David Williams

unread,
Jan 30, 2004, 2:13:19 PM1/30/04
to

"David Williams" <kos...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
news:8nnSb.6222$BA2....@newssvr26.news.prodigy.com...

Boring Guess of the Week:
Actually, it could just be a documentary -
Babylon5: The Making of the Series

-David W.


Iain Clark

unread,
Jan 30, 2004, 2:18:04 PM1/30/04
to

B5: The Misdirection of Speculation.

Iain
--
"It's just been too long
That we set aside some time alone.
I sure could use your point of view."


Joseph DeMartino

unread,
Jan 30, 2004, 2:48:11 PM1/30/04
to
> A routine film deal on a minor TV show should not take long to
> negotiate. Lots of negotiations means either a high price or
> the deal is not routine.

And you base this on your own extensive personal experience in negotiating
major and minor TV and movie deals? Besides, we know it ISN'T a "TV show"
at all. JMS has already SAID so.

> JMS strikes again. There is more to the B5:TMoS deal than we
> know.

No kidding, given that we don't know *anything".

> Merchandising?

Based on what? Merchandising is usually associated with a movie or an
on-going series or franchise. You don't merchandise in a vacuum.

> Foreign trips?

For whom? Where? Why would JMS have to write a script for a trip? In what
way does a "foreign trip" (whatever the hell that *means*) fit with JMS's
comment that those who thought the new project was "TV or movie" related
were on the right track?

> Spin off series?

He's ALREADY said that it ISN'T a series.

> Direct to DVD?

No. Not financially viable. There's a whole thread on this subject on the
forum at www.isnnews.com.

> Different TV channel?

Why would that make negotiations more complicated or lengthy?

> Actors have 90 year royalty agreements?

On what planet? The SAG contracts provide no such provision and no studio
would agree to such a thing on a one-off contract for a particular actor.
(Especially not for the "B5" actors. If Jack Nicholson never got a contract
like that you can be pretty sure that Bruce Boxleitner isn't going to get
one. What hat did you pull *this* notion out of, anyway?)

> Actors and writer on x% of box office takings?

Few of the actors are in a position to ask for that - and none of them is in
a position to get a share of the *gross*, which is the only percentage that
matters. The studio will give away "monkey points" (precentages of the
*net* profit) on a film all day long, because they know they'll never have
to pay them, thanks to their interesting accounting methods. (Hell, JMS's
"B5" contract gave *him* a percentage of the "B5" profits - but officially
there haven't been any and there never will be.) So this probably wouldn't
slow anything down.

> New technology for the special effects?

Which would be all over the Hollywood press *generally* and probably
wouldn't slow down contract negotiations.

> A series of films?

The studio may try to get options, but they know they can't hold the actors
to any money figures if the first film is a big hit, and the actors don't
have much bargaining power at this point, so this is unlikely to be the
problem. Certainly there won't be an *definite* plans for a series of
films until the first film is in theaters and they know how its doing.

> Something that I have not thought of yet?

Almost certainly. <g>

Regards,

Joe


Mac Breck

unread,
Jan 30, 2004, 2:48:28 PM1/30/04
to
"Jan" <janmsc...@aol.com> wrote in message
news:20040130140307...@mb-m01.aol.com...

> Mac Breck wrote:
>
> >Might be better if we didn't speculate where JMS is known
to read
> >messages.
>
> I haven't seen any story ideas so far so what harm?

If somebody correctly guesses the title here, would that
mean that he could not use it? It's why I'm not guessing,
here.


> >OTOH, since JMS posted "TMoS" here, he'd know that
speculation would
> >be too tempting, and so TMoS could be 100% misdirection.
>
> Could be. Or he knows we'll never guess it or he's just
trying to say what he
> can even though he can't say anything.
>
> He didn't say anything then and I'm not saying anything
now ;-)

Alright Dukhat. <g>


--
Mac Breck (KoshN) - from the desktop PC
-------------------------------
http://www.scifi.com/babylon5/
http://www.scifi.com/crusade/
http://www.scifi.com/bboard/browse.cgi/1/5/1521 (Brimstone)

Aisling Willow Grey

unread,
Jan 30, 2004, 2:58:25 PM1/30/04
to
>>On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 14:48:28 -0500, Mac Breck wrote
(in message <bvece4$26q$0...@208.239.203.122>):

> "Jan" <janmsc...@aol.com> wrote in message
> news:20040130140307...@mb-m01.aol.com...
>> Mac Breck wrote:
>>
>>> Might be better if we didn't speculate where JMS is known
> to read
>>> messages.
>>
>> I haven't seen any story ideas so far so what harm?
>
> If somebody correctly guesses the title here, would that
> mean that he could not use it? It's why I'm not guessing,
> here.<<

Mac, Mac, Mac. We are talking about a smart man, here. Do you really think
that JMS had no idea that we'd giddily start guessing titles the moment he
posted that cryptic "B5:TMoS"? I mean, come on. :-)

(And I still think "B5: The Meaning of Spoo" is the most likely fit!)

Aisling

Andrew Swallow

unread,
Jan 30, 2004, 3:01:05 PM1/30/04
to
Telepathic Mindwipe of Sheridan.
Terrific Marvels of Space (a documentary).
Babylon Five : Total Marmallisation of Spacestation.

Joseph DeMartino

unread,
Jan 30, 2004, 3:06:33 PM1/30/04
to
> The Minbari of Steel?
> The Mollari of Spoo?

The best guess I've seen was on the forum at www.b5tv.com, contributed by
"B5_Obsessed"

"That Mean Ol' Straczynski"

<g>

Regards,

Joe


Joseph DeMartino

unread,
Jan 30, 2004, 3:08:06 PM1/30/04
to
> If somebody correctly guesses the title here, would that mean that he
could not use it? <

No. You cannot copyright a title and only in rare cases can you trademark
one. Someone guessing the title based on the initials being given would in
no way prevent the studio from using that title.

Regards,

Joe


Thunder v.2.0.0.4

unread,
Jan 30, 2004, 3:08:48 PM1/30/04
to
I just had a serious one... The Movement of Starlight... (I hope nobody
else already thought that one up. If so, sorry about that...)

t.k.

Aisling Willow Grey

unread,
Jan 30, 2004, 3:20:23 PM1/30/04
to
>>On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 15:01:05 -0500, Andrew Swallow wrote
(in message <bvecm7$heq$1...@hercules.btinternet.com>):

> Telepathic Mindwipe of Sheridan.
> Terrific Marvels of Space (a documentary).
> Babylon Five : Total Marmallisation of Spacestation.<<

Two Marsupials on Speed?

Talia, Marcus, or Susan?

Andrew Swallow

unread,
Jan 30, 2004, 3:30:10 PM1/30/04
to

"Joseph DeMartino" <jdem...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:VrySb.19637$Iw6....@bignews1.bellsouth.net...

> > A routine film deal on a minor TV show should not take long to
> > negotiate. Lots of negotiations means either a high price or
> > the deal is not routine.
>
> And you base this on your own extensive personal experience in negotiating
> major and minor TV and movie deals? Besides, we know it ISN'T a "TV
show"
> at all. JMS has already SAID so.
>

I have negotiated other things. JMS has said that the negotiations
took longer than he expected.

Babylon 5 is a TV show, it went on for 5 years.
What B5:TMoS is, is a different matter.

> > JMS strikes again. There is more to the B5:TMoS deal than we
> > know.
>
> No kidding, given that we don't know *anything".
>
> > Merchandising?
>
> Based on what? Merchandising is usually associated with a movie or an
> on-going series or franchise. You don't merchandise in a vacuum.
>

One of the reasons there was little merchandising of Babylon 5
is that JMS hates it. The manufactures kept interfering with
the script of previous shows. This could have been studio for,
JMS against. Each item may have to be agreed separately.

> > Foreign trips?
>
> For whom? Where? Why would JMS have to write a script for a trip? In
what
> way does a "foreign trip" (whatever the hell that *means*) fit with JMS's
> comment that those who thought the new project was "TV or movie" related
> were on the right track?
>

There have already been stories about a movie being made in
Britain and Thailand.

> > Spin off series?
>
> He's ALREADY said that it ISN'T a series.
>

But that does not mean that it is not a backdoor pilot.

> > Direct to DVD?
>
> No. Not financially viable. There's a whole thread on this subject on
the
> forum at www.isnnews.com.
>

You are out of date, do a bit more digging.

> > Different TV channel?
>
> Why would that make negotiations more complicated or lengthy?
>

TNT -> Sci-Fi was slow.

> > Actors have 90 year royalty agreements?
>
> On what planet? The SAG contracts provide no such provision and no
studio
> would agree to such a thing on a one-off contract for a particular actor.
> (Especially not for the "B5" actors. If Jack Nicholson never got a
contract
> like that you can be pretty sure that Bruce Boxleitner isn't going to get
> one. What hat did you pull *this* notion out of, anyway?)
>

Which would definitely show the negotiations down.

Which hat - fairness. Copyright has been extended to 90 years.
Royalties should also be 90 years or movie copyright reduced
to 15 years.

> > Actors and writer on x% of box office takings?
>
> Few of the actors are in a position to ask for that - and none of them is
in
> a position to get a share of the *gross*, which is the only percentage
that
> matters. The studio will give away "monkey points" (precentages of the
> *net* profit) on a film all day long, because they know they'll never have
> to pay them, thanks to their interesting accounting methods. (Hell, JMS's
> "B5" contract gave *him* a percentage of the "B5" profits - but officially
> there haven't been any and there never will be.) So this probably
wouldn't
> slow anything down.
>

JMS may have learnt and gone for gross.

> > New technology for the special effects?
>
> Which would be all over the Hollywood press *generally* and probably
> wouldn't slow down contract negotiations.
>

That depends on the suits believing it. If they do not believe it
they will be slow to agree to pay for it.

> > A series of films?
>
> The studio may try to get options, but they know they can't hold the
actors
> to any money figures if the first film is a big hit, and the actors don't
> have much bargaining power at this point, so this is unlikely to be the
> problem. Certainly there won't be an *definite* plans for a series of
> films until the first film is in theaters and they know how its doing.
>

It took a long time before they agreed to option JMS for his 3
movie comic series.

Jan

unread,
Jan 30, 2004, 3:44:52 PM1/30/04
to
Joe DeMartino wrote:

>The best guess I've seen was on the forum at www.b5tv.com, contributed by
>"B5_Obsessed"
>
>"That Mean Ol' Straczynski"
>
><g>

Hrmph! I had one pretty close to that in the wee hours of this morning:

Terribly Mean of Straczynski

Hrmph <g>

Question for folks....I've been avoiding using "The" as the first word of the
title since it was capitalized and usually 'little' words weren't. But a
friend pointed out that as the first word it'd almost have to be capitalized
anyway. Is he right?

Joseph DeMartino

unread,
Jan 30, 2004, 3:50:48 PM1/30/04
to
> Question for folks....I've been avoiding using "The" as the first word of
the
> title since it was capitalized and usually 'little' words weren't. But a
> friend pointed out that as the first word it'd almost have to be
capitalized
> anyway. Is he right?

Yes, the first word of a title or subtitle is capitalized, regardless of
what kind of word it is. Hence "The Godfather", "The Virginian", "Star
Wars: The Phantom Menace", etc.

Regards,

Joe


Aisling Willow Grey

unread,
Jan 30, 2004, 4:07:07 PM1/30/04
to
>>On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 15:30:10 -0500, Andrew Swallow wrote
(in message <bveep9$n2$1...@sparta.btinternet.com>):

>
> "Joseph DeMartino" <jdem...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> news:VrySb.19637$Iw6....@bignews1.bellsouth.net...
>>

>> Based on what? Merchandising is usually associated with a movie or an
>> on-going series or franchise. You don't merchandise in a vacuum.
>>
>
> One of the reasons there was little merchandising of Babylon 5
> is that JMS hates it. <<

Also, Londo is against it, because the dolls have no...attributes. :-)

>>
>>> Actors have 90 year royalty agreements?
>>
>> On what planet? The SAG contracts provide no such provision and no
> studio
>> would agree to such a thing on a one-off contract for a particular actor.
>> (Especially not for the "B5" actors. If Jack Nicholson never got a
> contract
>> like that you can be pretty sure that Bruce Boxleitner isn't going to get
>> one. What hat did you pull *this* notion out of, anyway?)
>>
>
> Which would definitely show the negotiations down.
>
> Which hat - fairness. Copyright has been extended to 90 years.
> Royalties should also be 90 years or movie copyright reduced
> to 15 years.<<

The current term of copyright has absolutely no bearing on contractual
negotiations with anyone: not actors, not lawyers, not plumbers. Does a
plumber's fee have anything to do with whether or not the equipment he's
installing in your bathroom still has an existing patent on it?

Aisling

Mac Breck

unread,
Jan 30, 2004, 4:44:22 PM1/30/04
to
"Joseph DeMartino" <jdem...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:QLySb.19641$Iw6....@bignews1.bellsouth.net...

Good.

Bart Barenbrug

unread,
Jan 30, 2004, 5:04:11 PM1/30/04
to
Chris Patterson wrote:

> jms...@aol.com (Jms at B5) wrote:
>
>>Writing on B5:TMoS is complete
>
> Oh, who can resist THAT??

Indeed. A suggestion from a friend of mine: TM = Techno Mage?

Bart

Aisling Willow Grey

unread,
Jan 30, 2004, 5:24:57 PM1/30/04
to
>>On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 17:04:11 -0500, Bart Barenbrug wrote
(in message <nxASb.608$ks5....@typhoon.bart.nl>):

Technomage is one word.

Aisling

Joseph DeMartino

unread,
Jan 30, 2004, 5:40:25 PM1/30/04
to
> > Indeed. A suggestion from a friend of mine: TM = Techno Mage?<<
>
> Technomage is one word.

Spoilsport. <g>

Joe


Jan

unread,
Jan 30, 2004, 9:33:26 PM1/30/04
to
Hmmm...if we're going to try to apply logic...

The last thing we had from the B5 universe was Babylon 5: The Legend of the
Rangers.

JMS has had several 'paired' titles in the past such as "Objects in Motion" and
"Objects at Rest"

So maybe this one is something along the lines of:

Babylon 5: The Myth of Souls
Babylon 5: The Myth of Shadows
Babylon 5: The Mystery of Sheridan

Jan

Wendy of NJ

unread,
Jan 30, 2004, 9:33:31 PM1/30/04
to
On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 18:45:39 +0000 (UTC), Iain Clark
<iain...@dragonhaven.plus.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 13:39:38 +0000 (UTC), Wendy of NJ
><voxw...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 13:26:53 +0000 (UTC), "Blurrt"
>><nsa...@optushome.com.au> wrote:
>>
>>>
>>>"Jms at B5" <jms...@aol.com> wrote in message
>>>news:20040130000027...@mb-m10.aol.com...
>>>
>>>> Writing on B5:TMoS is complete,
>>>
>>>The Memory of Shadows
>>
>>good one!
>
>My fiancee came up with that one too. It's my current favourite. :-)
>
>More likely this is the beginning of Babylon 5: The Music of Sondheim.
>In the tradition of Cop Rock comes B5: the Musical ...a whole army of
>singing telepaths... just imagine....

I am. And I'm remebering the singing telepaths from S5, and... *only*
if Sondheim writes the music. (and they get teeps that can SING)
-Wendy

>
>Iain

Matt Ion

unread,
Jan 30, 2004, 9:34:38 PM1/30/04
to

"Aisling Willow Grey" <ais...@fjordstone.com> wrote in message
news:0001HW.BC4043A4...@news.verizon.net...

"Techno-mage" is a hyphenated word, at least all through the techno-mage
trilogy.

Techno-Mages of Silliness?
Techno-Mages of Song? (there's that musical idea again)
Techno-Mages on Strike?

Chris Adams

unread,
Jan 30, 2004, 9:35:57 PM1/30/04
to
Once upon a time, Aisling Willow Grey <ais...@fjordstone.com> said:
>B5:TMoS???

The Movie on Sunday

The Movie opposite SuperBowl (wait, we've already had that :-) )

Telepaths: Meet our Sponsor (remember "A Now For a Word")

Throw Morden off Station

The Mouth of Sheridan
--
Chris Adams <cma...@hiwaay.net>
Systems and Network Administrator - HiWAAY Internet Services
I don't speak for anybody but myself - that's enough trouble.

Jms at B5

unread,
Jan 30, 2004, 9:40:18 PM1/30/04
to
Just to honk you off even further about all th is...in the speculation of
titles...one of you was correct.

jms

(jms...@aol.com)
(all message content (c) 2004 by synthetic worlds, ltd.,
permission to reprint specifically denied to SFX Magazine
and don't send me story ideas)


LK

unread,
Jan 30, 2004, 9:40:42 PM1/30/04
to
On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 18:16:42 +0000 (UTC), "Joseph DeMartino"
<jdem...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>B5:TMoS?
>
>"B5:TMoS?"
>
>You call this an UPDATE?
>
>You sick, twisted, sadistic sonnuvabitch. <g>
>
>Where is the NBS when we *really* need them?
>
>Joe
>

Or a large size "love bat" with Harlan Ellison's (sp?) voice instead
of Tracy Scoggins.

LK


Wesley Struebing

unread,
Jan 30, 2004, 9:40:59 PM1/30/04
to

Spoilsport! (and that is the most likely. Damn!)

Wesley Struebing

unread,
Jan 30, 2004, 9:42:04 PM1/30/04
to

Da kidlet says B5:Try My Original Story...

Jan

unread,
Jan 30, 2004, 9:44:44 PM1/30/04
to
>> > Indeed. A suggestion from a friend of mine: TM = Techno Mage?<<
>>
>> Technomage is one word.

In the script for Geometry of Shadows it's hyphenated: techno-mage.

>
>Spoilsport. <g>
>

<g>

Jan

Wesley Struebing

unread,
Jan 30, 2004, 9:56:06 PM1/30/04
to
On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 11:47:32 +0000 (UTC), janmsc...@aol.com (Jan)
wrote:

>Iain Rae wrote:
>
>>The Mound of Scripts?
>
>Mine...Minemineminemine, you hear?? My prescioussssssssss scripts's....
>
>Jan
>Ooops, did I say that out loud? ;-)


Did you say what out loud?

(you can pay me later...<G>)

Wesley Struebing

unread,
Jan 30, 2004, 9:56:08 PM1/30/04
to
On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 20:06:33 +0000 (UTC), "Joseph DeMartino"
<jdem...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>> The Minbari of Steel?
>> The Mollari of Spoo?
>
>The best guess I've seen was on the forum at www.b5tv.com, contributed by
>"B5_Obsessed"
>
>"That Mean Ol' Straczynski"
>

"The Marriage of Sinclair"...

Tlsmith1963

unread,
Jan 30, 2004, 9:56:16 PM1/30/04
to
TMoS is: The Mockery of Straczynski. He is mocking us because we can't figure
out what TMoS means...tee hee. :)

Actually, I think it is probably just The Movie Script or The Movie Screenplay.
JMS just threw us off by making the "o" in "movie" the "o" in TMoS.

Tammy

Eliyahu Rooff

unread,
Jan 30, 2004, 9:56:18 PM1/30/04
to

"Mac Breck" <macthe...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:bvej7e$ik3$0...@208.239.203.122...

> "Joseph DeMartino" <jdem...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> news:QLySb.19641$Iw6....@bignews1.bellsouth.net...
> > > If somebody correctly guesses the title here, would that
> mean that he
> > could not use it? <
> >
> > No. You cannot copyright a title and only in rare cases
> can you trademark
> > one. Someone guessing the title based on the initials
> being given would in
> > no way prevent the studio from using that title.
>
> Good.
>
And, even if it could be copyrighted, they would have already done
so, making our guesses irrelevant.

Eliyahu