JMS on CompuServe (Jul 23, 1997) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

bbar...@speedlink.com

Jul 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/23/97

upcoming Babylon 5 episodes.

Continue at your own risk.

PERMISSION OF THE AUTHOR.

ftp://ftp.johndelenn.com/pub/bbarrett/cis/
- or -
http://www.johndelenn.com/

Sb: #686415-Claudia Opts Out-JMS
Sb: #686539-Claudia C fired!
Sb: #686730-Claudia C fired!
Sb: #686474-#Clauduia
Sb: #686514-Claudia Opts Out-JMS
Sb: #686511-Clauduia

#: 686415 S5/Babylon 5: General
21-Jul-97 20:47:28
Sb: #686400-#Claudia Opts Out-JMS
Fm: TROY STARR

Hi Sue -

Ughh - I was away for a week and this is what I find waiting for me. :(

In any case, I'd just like to chime in and say that I agree with Carl and you.
I'm deeply saddened that Claudia won't be a regular part of season five. In
the back of my mind, I wonder why Claudia, her agent, Joe, and the WB/TNT folks
couldn't sit down together (or conference call, or whatever) and talk with each
other on that final day. But, I think it's safe to say that dwelling on
what-if's is probably counter productive. Still, this does lead me to believe
now, more than ever, that Warner Brothers has lost its compassion about people
- that's it's all about numbers anymore. <sigh>

- Troy Starr <Troy_...@compuserve.com>

#: 686793 S5/Babylon 5: General
22-Jul-97 17:15:25
Sb: #686415-Claudia Opts Out-JMS
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

"In the back of my mind, I wonder why Claudia, her agent, Joe, and the WB/TNT
folks couldn't sit down together (or conference call, or whatever) and talk
with each other on that final day."

I did. That Thursday night, I sat with her for half an hour, urging her
to call her agent, and have her agent call WB. Didn't happen. We never even
heard anything from her or her people until literally 1 week after the deadline
for scripts to start coming in.

jms

considered to replace Claudia?" ]

#: 686806 S5/Babylon 5: General
22-Jul-97 17:51:09
Sb: #686539-Claudia C fired!
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

I'd prefer to put a female in that position, to keep the cast relatively
balanced. I've actually come up with some very interesting ideas on this,
which are kinda fun...a way to put a lot more conflict into the inner circle,
if you will.

jms

communications breakdown. ]

#: 686807 S5/Babylon 5: General
22-Jul-97 17:51:12
Sb: #686730-Claudia C fired!
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

Actually, this would be much simpler if it *were* a communication
breakdown. But it ain't.

Onward.

jms

#: 686474 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
22-Jul-97 04:59:26
Sb: #Clauduia
Fm: ROSEANN M. CAPUTO

Joe,

You're absolutely right. We don't work on the show, we weren't present and we
shouldn't get involved and take sides. It's more or less none of our business
and who are we to tell people how to live their lives or do their jobs. The
same as everyone else, I am saddened by the loss of a wonderful character.

One thing I would like to point out. Over the four years that you've done B5,
you've shown a lot of integrity. To the show, the fans all the way around. It
seems to me that you're a pretty straight shot. If, in the past, you've given
your word to someone regarding something specifc, and you've kept it, why all
of a sudden is your word not good? So there wasn't something in writing, if
you've kept your word over the last four years, I can't see a reason why you
wouldn't keep it now. You invite your folks to be creative, to push themselves
farther. You did this show in your way, knowing you wouldn't make a ton of
money, but you kept the creative control to be sure that what happened with
other shows would not happen to B5. I would think that even though you're not
writing the episodes for season 5, you still have creative control and if you
say a character should not be in a few shows, I would think that you know what
you're doing.

When time is an issue, decisions have to be made hard and fast. I would think
seasoned people in your profession understand time constraints and deadlines.
Especially agents.

As for what happened with Michael O'Hare and Andrea Thompson or anyone else for
that matter. Things happen. I felt some of the answers were very politically
correct, but we don't really need to know the details folks. It's not really
any of our business. If there are folks out there that think because we watch
and support the show, we have a right to know this information, I can only say
this: Your starting to sound like a certain group in fandom - get a life.

Joe, you shouldn't have to defend yourself personally for professional
decisions. I'm happy to see that you are writing this in such a way that
Claudia can come back for the movies if the details from this are all worked
out. How many in your profession would extend that courtesy?

Looking forward to season 5....

Roseann Caputo

#: 686808 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
22-Jul-97 17:51:14
Sb: #686474-#Clauduia
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

Thanks. Yeah...ask any cast member, and they'll tell you that when I
make a promise, it's kept, no matter what it takes.

On the reaction...it goes with the territory. What's been difficult have
been the emails that have come in suggesting that I "watch my back" at the next
few conventions I attend. Disagreement or discussion is one thing; threats are
another.

jms

#: 686514 S5/Babylon 5: General
22-Jul-97 07:45:19
Sb: #686510-#Claudia Opts Out-JMS
Fm: TROY STARR

Hi Guy -

>> Business is always about numbers! <<

True, but to a certain extent. WB new that there is intense fan loyalty for
this show, and I think tried to use that to justify asking the cast to take a
"pay cut" for the last season. They new how much pressure there was to rap up
the show that JMS had worked so hard on over the last several years, and hoped
that the cast would have no choice but to accept their terms.

- Troy Starr <Troy_...@compuserve.com>

#: 686880 S5/Babylon 5: General
22-Jul-97 21:46:03
Sb: #686514-Claudia Opts Out-JMS
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

There was no pay cut for the fifth season for the cast. And the
residulas formula is standard for basic cable.

jms

#: 686881 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
22-Jul-97 21:46:04
Sb: #686511-Clauduia
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

"Joe could write sa character out of an episode or 4, yet the suits could
insist that the actor be present on the set anyway (or be in breach of
contract)!"

Nope. Wouldn't happen. Has never happened. Would never happen. WB has
not even given us a creative *note* in almost 2 years.

This one's a non-starter. That would simply not happen. If you're not
in the script, there's no need for you to be there.

jms

[END]

Ray Martinez

Jul 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/23/97

bbar...@speedlink.com wrote:
> considered to replace Claudia?" ]
>
> #: 686806 S5/Babylon 5: General
> 22-Jul-97 17:51:09
>Sb: #686539-Claudia C fired!
>Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI
>
> I'd prefer to put a female in that position, to keep the cast relatively
>balanced. I've actually come up with some very interesting ideas on this,
>which are kinda fun...a way to put a lot more conflict into the inner circle,
>if you will.

That's the spirit, jms!!!!! I can't wait to find out what you
have in mind!!! I will miss Claudia immensely, but this sounds very
exciting!!!

brimming with newfound hope,
Ray