Ratings for syndicated action shows

Nicholas Fitzpatrick

Jan 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/21/97

Stolen from rec.arts.startrek.current!

"W. Bova" <kry...@io.com> wrote:

According to this ratings info, Deep Space Nine was first overall in the
syndicated action hours and in all demographics for the fall period. So
for all those naysayers that trumpet the dropping ratings for Star
Trek...

>From Broadcasting and Cable, January 6, 1997, Page 52

Top Action Hours
(ranked by household)

Show HH A18-34 A18-49 A25-54

Star Trek: DS9 6.5 4.2 4.9 5.1
Hercules 6.2 3.8 4.0 4.1
Xena 6.1 3.7 3.8 3.9
Baywatch 4.5 2.3 2.3 2.4
Outer Limits 3.9 2.3 2.6 2.7
Babylon 5 3.7 2.4 2.8 2.8
Highlander 3.1 2.0 2.2 2.3
Sinbad 3.1 1.7 1.8 1.7
F/X: The Series 3.0 1.4 1.7 1.8
Baywatch Nights 2.8 1.5 1.5 1.6

Source Nielsen Syndication Service, Sept 2-Dec 8, 1996 GAA where
available

HH - Household ratings
A18-34,A18-49,A25-54 - Adult demographics ratings for listed age groups.

Other shows mentioned in the article with A18-49 ratings were Viper
(1.6), Psi Factor (1.6), Poltergeist,Two and The Cape at 1.2 to 1.5, and
Tarzan at 1.0 for the A18-49 demographic.

Hmm, look at Babylon-5's numbers for the lucrative$$$ A18-34,A18-49,A25-54
ratings. It beats Baywatch!!!

--------------------------------------
Nicholas Fitzpatrick (nf...@sentex.ca)

Diane K De

Jan 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/21/97

>"W. Bova" <kry...@io.com> wrote:
>
>According to this ratings info, Deep Space Nine was first overall in the
>syndicated action hours and in all demographics for the fall period. So
>for all those naysayers that trumpet the dropping ratings for Star
>Trek...
>

>>From Broadcasting and Cable, January 6, 1997, Page 52
>
>Top Action Hours
>(ranked by household)
>
>Show HH A18-34 A18-49 A25-54
>
>Star Trek: DS9 6.5 4.2 4.9 5.1

<snip>

FYI, STDS's HH ratings were in the mid to high 7's during the same period
last year, so their ratings ARE dropping a lot. Yes, it's still number
one, but its lead has been cut.

Diane

Jms at B5

Jan 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/21/97

DS9 is still toward the top of the ratings, but the "naysayers" are
correct about the decline in actual numbers. (And DS9 does fall below
Xena and Hercules in many cases, btw.)

Here are the Neilsen figures for DS9 for the last several quarters:
4th quarter 95: 7.1
1st quarter 96: 6.7
2nd quarter 96: 5.9
3rd quarter 96: 4.8

The jump in 4th quarter 96 is apparently due to a lot of new eps airing,
and some stunting...the Tribbles episode and the like.

By comprison, here are B5's numbers of the last number of quarters:
3rd quarter 95: 2.7
4th quarter 95: 2.9
1st quarter 96: 3.0
2nd quarter 96: 3.1
3rd quarter 96: (being retablulated for some errors)
4th quarter 96: 3.6

DS9's season-to-date average has gone from 6.8 to 6.1.
B5's STD average has gone from 3.0 to 3.3.

And our demographics continue to be better than DS9.

This isn't a qualitative statement, only to confirm what has been said:
that DS9's ratings have been declining (also noted by the trades, which
have found drops from 18% to 20% for both the ST shows) and that B5's
ratings have been growing during the same period of time.

jms

Janis Maria C. C. Cortese

Jan 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/21/97
to rec-arts-sf-tv-b...@uunet.uu.net

In article <19970121223...@ladder01.news.aol.com> jms...@aol.com (Jms at B5) writes:
>DS9 is still toward the top of the ratings, but the "naysayers" are
>correct about the decline in actual numbers. (And DS9 does fall below
>Xena and Hercules in many cases, btw.)

I freely admit to more than a little perverse pleasure out of knowing
that this happened after they "punched up" the show by removing
everything in it that I cared about and loved.

Seems to me the solution's simple -- get Kira out of the hooker duds, do
character pieces more often that they used to do, bring back the
Cardassians, shove Worf out an airlock, and ditch Garak's jailbait prom
date and let him be the camp queen he was and always will be. :-)

Heh,
Janis
cor...@netcom.com http://www.io.com/~cortese/
Homepage includes Feminism, Lefthanders, and Handgun Education Links!
================================<*>==================================
There was an old man Said with a laugh, "I
From Peru, whose lim'ricks all Cut them in half, the pay is
Look'd like haiku. He Much better for two."
Emmet

Chuck Fullerton

Jan 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/21/97

jms...@aol.com (Jms at B5) wrote:
>And our demographics continue to be better than DS9.

Joe,
It would please me no end to be able to confirm this for myself.
Can you point me in the right direction?

many thanks,
Chuck

Annie Fox

Jan 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/22/97

How much do the odds of renewal drop for each point below 4.0?
Will it be more of a geometric drop or an exponential one,i.e.,
for every point less than 4.0, will the odds drop by a litttle
more than the last point less than 4.0 or will they drop by a
lot?

-Peter

Janis Maria C. C. Cortese

Jan 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/22/97

In article <macdave-ya0232800...@news.tamu.edu> mac...@tamu.edu (Dave Martin) writes:

>In article <corteseE...@netcom.com>, cor...@netcom.com (Janis Maria

>C. C. Cortese wrote:
>}Seems to me the solution's simple -- get Kira out of the hooker duds,
>}do character pieces more often that they used to do, bring back the
>}Cardassians, shove Worf out an airlock, and ditch Garak's jailbait
>}prom date and let him be the camp queen he was and always will be. :-)
>
>Quite right--especially Garak. Of course, they also need to return to
>the Bajoran religious roots more often. That, to me, made things more
>interesting. And shouldn't they be checking up on poor Kai Opaka?

I remember being really bummed when they ditched her -- she was
endlessly neat. I would like to either see her come back, or see Winn
be more than just Snidely Whiplash in drag.

And yes -- the whole reason they went there was to get the Bajorans
into the Federation. I have no doubt that they will address this in an
episode someplace in the future where the whole thing is treated one of
two ways:

1) It's all wrapped up at once so they can say, "We DID deal with the
Bajoran situation!!!!!!" Guys, two points does not an arc make.
2) They will not wrap it up, but will promptly neglect to follow up on
any of the things they leave hanging.

It's infuriating to see something so good go to such waste. I've
compared the show multiple times before to a beautiful black
thoroughbred that kept wandering into controversial territory. They
hacksawed its legs off and now they get to drag it wherever they want.
Not too beautiful anymore, though.

>Of course, at this point, it is somewhat difficult to make DS9 as
>wonderful as B5.

The one thing they have right now, and it's *all* they have and makes
the decline even more tragic, is one of the best ensemble casts ever to
show up on TV. They are under such control from the outside that they
cannot make the show as good as it could be. It's TV by committee.

>The writers on the Star Trek shows don't seem to be
>able to write such twisted delights as JMS pulls off, at least not
>without tripping over their shoelaces and the ST continuity.

They were putting out good stuff for the first two years -- but they are
on short leashes. They *cannot* do what they want. No writer *likes*
writing shit. But they have to write it, and moreover they have to
defend it in public or else they will lose their jobs. And in the
process of defending something you know is a lie that strenuously, you
start to believe it yourself.

Be that as it may, I still will not watch until I can be assured that
ALL of the above problems are dealt with. Which means approximately
never.

>Hell, I'd love to see JMS write maybe a three-part story arc for either
>ST series...or at LEAST get Peter David in there, though he might start
>pulling bears out of his...er, well, ahem...

I think the things they'd write about would not be allowed. Part of the
privilege of flying under the marketing radar.

Take care,

Joshua Jasper

Jan 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/22/97

Jms at B5 <jms...@aol.com> wrote:
>DS9 is still toward the top of the ratings, but the "naysayers" are
>correct about the decline in actual numbers. (And DS9 does fall below
>Xena and Hercules in many cases, btw.)

The interesting thing is that Xena and Herc have produced a
_huge_ amount of low quality coppys. People seem more inclined to
produce crap fantasy than make a try at sci-fi. Xena and Herc, however,
were started out with a rather fantastic add campaign in major citys. NYC
was one of them, we say Xena and Herc adds on MTA busses, in the subways,
on TV, practicaly everywhere. Treck gets an astounding amount of air time
for it's show's advertisments, wheras B5 gets (IMO) far to little, at
least in the LA area.
Is there some way you could talk the UPN stations and whomever
else caries B5 into getting the show more ads? Do you think this would
help ratings?
Sinboy

Dave Martin

Jan 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/22/97

[The following text is in the "ISO-8859-1" character set]

In article <corteseE...@netcom.com>, cor...@netcom.com (Janis Maria

C. C. }Seems to me the solution's simple -- get Kira out of the hooker

duds, do
}character pieces more often that they used to do, bring back the
}Cardassians, shove Worf out an airlock, and ditch Garak's jailbait prom
}date and let him be the camp queen he was and always will be. :-)

Quite right--especially Garak. Of course, they also need to return to the
Bajoran religious roots more often. That, to me, made things more
interesting. And shouldn't they be checking up on poor Kai Opaka?

Of course, at this point, it is somewhat difficult to make DS9 as wonderful
as B5. The writers on the Star Trek shows don't seem to be able to write

such twisted delights as JMS pulls off, at least not without tripping over

their shoelaces and the ST continuity. Hell, I'd love to see JMS write

--
* Dave Martin * mac...@tamu.edu or d...@aol.com * Texas A&M *

Franklin Hummel

Jan 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/22/97

In article <19970121165...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,

This number tends to be higher than most single episodes of DS9.
I suspect strongly part of this rating was boosted by its "Trials and
Tribble-ations" episode. There does not seem to have been much of a
lasting carry-over of viewers from that episode.

-- Franklin Hummel [ hum...@world.std.com ]
* NecronomiCon, 3rd Edition: The Cthulhu Mythos Convention *
15-17 August 1997, Providence, Rhode Island
Visit our NEW web site at: http://www.necropress.com/necronomicon

Chuck Fullerton

Jan 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/22/97

mac...@tamu.edu (Dave Martin) wrote:
>Hell, I'd love to see JMS write maybe a three-part story arc for either ST series...or at LEAST get Peter David in there

One thing that will forever baffle me about DS9:
They got David Gerrold back . . .
. . .to make a cameo appearance in the Tribble episode!!!!
ARRRRGGGHHH!!!!
They had the key to changing ST for the better right there in their
hands, and they not only fumbled, they had no intention of
ever using it. . .
Incredible, but true.

-Chuck

Jason Lindquist

Jan 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/22/97

cor...@netcom.com (Janis Maria C. C. Cortese) writes:

>In article <macdave-ya0232800...@news.tamu.edu> mac...@tamu.edu (Dave Martin) writes:

>The one thing they [DSN] have right now, and it's *all* they have and makes

>the decline even more tragic, is one of the best ensemble casts ever to
>show up on TV.

Amen.

>>The writers on the Star Trek shows don't seem to be
>>able to write such twisted delights as JMS pulls off, at least not
>>without tripping over their shoelaces and the ST continuity.

ST continuity? Wait, they pay attention to that anymore?

>They were putting out good stuff for the first two years -- but they are
>on short leashes. They *cannot* do what they want. No writer *likes*
>writing shit. But they have to write it, and moreover they have to
>defend it in public or else they will lose their jobs. And in the
>process of defending something you know is a lie that strenuously, you
>start to believe it yourself.

Oh boy, the expose books thirty years from now should be juicy...

JL

--
Jason A. Lindquist "Inform the crew that anyone who laughs
li...@uiuc.edu <*> will answer to me, personally."

Jonathan M Donenberg

Jan 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/22/97

>=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

>From: jms...@aol.com (Jms at B5)
>
>DS9 is still toward the top of the ratings, but the "naysayers" are
>correct about the decline in actual numbers. (And DS9 does fall below
>Xena and Hercules in many cases, btw.)
>
>Here are the Neilsen figures for DS9 for the last several quarters:
>4th quarter 95: 7.1
>1st quarter 96: 6.7
>2nd quarter 96: 5.9
>3rd quarter 96: 4.8
>
>The jump in 4th quarter 96 is apparently due to a lot of new eps
>airing,
>and some stunting...the Tribbles episode and the like.
>
>By comprison, here are B5's numbers of the last number of quarters:
>3rd quarter 95: 2.7
>4th quarter 95: 2.9
>1st quarter 96: 3.0
>2nd quarter 96: 3.1
>3rd quarter 96: (being retablulated for some errors)
>4th quarter 96: 3.6
>
>DS9's season-to-date average has gone from 6.8 to 6.1.
>B5's STD average has gone from 3.0 to 3.3.
>
>And our demographics continue to be better than DS9.
>
>This isn't a qualitative statement, only to confirm what has been
>said:
>that DS9's ratings have been declining (also noted by the trades,
>which
>have found drops from 18% to 20% for both the ST shows) and that B5's
>ratings have been growing during the same period of time.

True, but I think that you're going back too far. The fact is, DS9's
ratings WERE dropping, at one point going from 7.1 to 4.8, but now they
are on the rise, from 4.8 to 6.5 in just one quarter. Of course, B5 has
been rising since DS9 was falling, but currently, they're both on the
rise. Someone should tell me why someone like me can't like B5 AND DS9
without having to defend one or the other; I like 'em both, don't shoot
me!
:-)

Jon
p.s.- BTW, BOTH shows beat out Baywatch Nights......So someone should let
Hasslehoff know he's not wanted <G>

Jms at B5

Jan 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/23/97

To confirm demographics...this stuff is usually in detailed form in the
networks hands, but places like Broadcasting Magazine often do updates on
it as well.

jms

Jms at B5

Jan 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/23/97

"Someone should tell me why someone like me can't like B5 AND DS9 without
having to defend one or the other; I like 'em both, don't shoot me!"

I couldn't agree more. My quibble was with those who look facts they
don't like in the face and write them off as "naysayers." Numbers is
numbers, but personal tastes are personal tastes, and as far as I'm
concerned, the more SF the merrier.

jms

Hannu Rummukainen

Jan 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/23/97

f...@allspice.cs.swarthmore.edu (Annie Fox) writes:

I don't think you could model WB as a deterministic system :)

Hannu R

--
It's a good thing money can't buy happiness.
We sure couldn't stand the commercials.

Joshua Jasper

Jan 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/23/97

In article <19970123091...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,

Jms at B5 <jms...@aol.com> wrote:

Generaly, if it's good for one SF show, it ought to help along
other SF shows just by proving they can be done in a way that helps the
networks. I wonder if TV will get any positive fallout from the new Star
Wars movies.
Sinboy

mbo...@mail.lib.ukans.edu

Jan 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/23/97

Hooray! The voice of sanity rings again! I teethed on the old 60's
StarT Wreck sci fi and loved it. Liked the movies and STTNG when it
arrived. Voyager and DS9 have, to my tastes, not introduced
significant variation in the plots or themes, but they are still
enjoyable to watch. The fact that I prefer B5 to either of them should
be inconsequential.

Meanwhile, Joe, if you want a TV writing/production challenge, perhaps
you ought to consider if the Dragon Gate Cycle series could be brought
to screen...that would blow all the crappy fantasy retreads completely
off the map and establish new standards in THAT genre too...!

MBovee
UKansas

jms...@aol.com (Jms at B5) electronically penned the following
missive:

>"Someone should tell me why someone like me can't like B5 AND DS9 without
>having to defend one or the other; I like 'em both, don't shoot me!"

>I couldn't agree more. My quibble was with those who look facts they
>don't like in the face and write them off as "naysayers." Numbers is
>numbers, but personal tastes are personal tastes, and as far as I'm
>concerned, the more SF the merrier.

> jms

JennieD-O'C

Jan 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/24/97

Janis Maria C. C. Cortese <cor...@netcom.com> wrote:

[re: DS9]

>Seems to me the solution's simple -- get Kira out of the hooker duds, do
>character pieces more often that they used to do, bring back the
>Cardassians,

Have you seen "The Darkness and the Light" yet? It's all that *and*
directed by the guy who directed "Comes the Inquisitor".

>shove Worf out an airlock, and ditch Garak's jailbait prom
>date and let him be the camp queen he was and always will be. :-)

Amen!

--
Jennie D-O'C <jenn...@intranet.org> http://home.intranet.org/~jenniedo/
<*> Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took both. <*>

JennieD-O'C

Jan 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/24/97

Jonathan M Donenberg <cmdr...@juno.com> wrote:

>Someone should tell me why someone like me can't like B5 AND DS9
>without having to defend one or the other; I like 'em both, don't shoot
>me!

I've always wondered that myself. Both shows have had their highs and
lows -- why is it that people only see the lows of whichever show they're
not a fan of?

Janis Maria C. C. Cortese

Jan 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/24/97

In article <5cak6b$7...@umcc.umcc.umich.edu> gr...@umcc.umcc.umich.edu (JennieD-O'C) writes:
>Janis Maria C. C. Cortese <cor...@netcom.com> wrote:
>
>[re: DS9]
>>Seems to me the solution's simple -- get Kira out of the hooker duds, do
>>character pieces more often that they used to do, bring back the
>>Cardassians,
>
>Have you seen "The Darkness and the Light" yet? It's all that *and*
>directed by the guy who directed "Comes the Inquisitor".

If so, it's about goddamned time and a sign that just *possibly*,
someone found a crowbar big enough to pry their heads out with. I'm
glad to hear it, at LAST.

>>shove Worf out an airlock, and ditch Garak's jailbait prom
>>date and let him be the camp queen he was and always will be. :-)
>
>Amen!

"Julian, come here. Let me show you our new line of men's lingerie, my
dear . . . "

Janis Maria C. C. Cortese

Jan 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/24/97

In article <5cakca$7...@umcc.umcc.umich.edu> gr...@umcc.umcc.umich.edu (JennieD-O'C) writes:
>Jonathan M Donenberg <cmdr...@juno.com> wrote:
>
>>Someone should tell me why someone like me can't like B5 AND DS9
>>without having to defend one or the other; I like 'em both, don't shoot
>>me!
>
>I've always wondered that myself. Both shows have had their highs and
>lows -- why is it that people only see the lows of whichever show they're
>not a fan of?

I didn't, for a long time. I was the most vocal defender of DS9 for the
first three years of its existence. But the PTB kept saying, "No one is
watching," when me and a large nujber of friends of mine were watching
manically. What they meant was that not enough white males were
watching, so we were all "no one." And the changes in the show's format
were obviously aimed at making the show more "male," because that was
how they defined success. (Interestingly, most times I complain about
DS9's current format on here, I get e-mail from *men* agreeing with me,
so they aren't doing it successfully.)

I loved the show, and had it remained the same, I would now be a booster
for both shows. But their 4th season about-face was aimed at offending
me -- I've gone over the changes before in great detail. In the face of
that, why bother watching? It pissed me off for a show that *good* to
decide that cowardly backsliding was the way to go.

It was the first of all the Trek shows to really take women's roles
seriously, and to imply slash content very close to the surface. It
also got rid of that smooth, overpolished aura that TNG had that nearly
put me to sleep (although they did have a bunch of wonderful shows, I
think they would have been better had REAL PEOPLE been involved in the
action), and introduced real characters with texture and flaws. The 4th
season changes totally backslid on the women's roles and the slash
content, and I was back to eating table scraps as a viewer again,
getting the occasional "good line," or "good scene" for the women while
the rest of the time they pranced around in hooker costumes.

And I started getting curious about B5 after catching some of the second
season, and well . . . no table scraps. There was a ten-course gourmet
meal going on over there. Ivanova isn't given a few "good lines" and
otherwise wandering around in a costume that is two sizes smaller than
the men's, as in TNG and even DS9 when it was at its *best*. I had
gotten satisfied with crumbs for a long time, and with B5, I'm simply no
longer willing to sit still and not demand quality TV that doesn't
insult me.

SGWM

Jan 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/25/97

On 21 Jan 1997 17:30:33 -0500, jms...@aol.com (Jms at B5) wrote:

>DS9 is still toward the top of the ratings, but the "naysayers" are
>correct about the decline in actual numbers. (And DS9 does fall below
>Xena and Hercules in many cases, btw.)
>
>Here are the Neilsen figures for DS9 for the last several quarters:
>4th quarter 95: 7.1
>1st quarter 96: 6.7
>2nd quarter 96: 5.9
>3rd quarter 96: 4.8

>This isn't a qualitative statement, only to confirm what has been said:

>that DS9's ratings have been declining (also noted by the trades, which
>have found drops from 18% to 20% for both the ST shows) and that B5's
>ratings have been growing during the same period of time.

Here are most of the DS9 ratings since it started. They can be found
at http://www.bradley.edu/campusorg/psiphi/DS9/ratings.html. It's
ratings have clearly plummeted since inception :

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine's Syndicated Ratings

Jump to: 1993 - 1994 - 1995 - 1996

1993

Week Ending Rank Rating Chng Stat. % Cov Episode
----------- ---- ------ ---- ----- ----- -------
January 10 1 18.8 --- -- 721
17 2 13.4 -5.4 227 99 404
24 3 13.0 - .4 227 98 403
31 3 11.6 -1.4 229 99 405
February 7 3 12.9 +1.3 228 99 406
14 5 12.8 - .1 230 99 407
21 4 12.1 - .7 227 98 408
28 5 11.6 - .5 227 98 409
March 7 6 8.8 231 99 401R
14 8 9.1 230 98 402R
21 3 11.4 - .2 232 99 410
28 3tie 10.7 - .7 232 99 411
April 4 6 8.6 233 99 404R
11 5 7.8 233 99 403R
18 5 8.2 233 99 405R
25 4 9.7 -1.0 233 99 412
May 2 4 9.9 + .2 233 99 413
9 5 9.3 - .6 236 99 414
16 5 9.2 - .1 236 99 415
23 6 9.0 - .2 236 99 416
30 5 9.7 + .7 236 99 417
June 6 4 9.0 - .7 234 98 418
13 5 7.4 234 99 406R
20 4tie 8.9 - .1 235 99 419
27 5 8.8 - .1 236 99 420
July 4 5tie 7.3 234 99 407R
11 5tie 7.1 234 99 408R
18 5 7.6 235 99 410R
25 5 7.6 235 99 412R
August 1 7 7.1 235 99 413R
8 6 7.3 236 99 414R
15 6 7.3 235 99 415R
22 8tie 6.7 233 98 419R
29 6 7.1 236 99 416R
September 5 8 6.6 234 98 417R
12 4 7.2 237 99 418R
19 6 7.0 238 99 420R
26 5 7.8 236 98 411R
October 3 5 9.7 + .9 241 99 421
10 5 9.0 - .7 222 98 422
17 4 9.0 .0 238 99 423
24 5 9.3 + .3 237 99 424
31 5 9.1 - .2 237 99 425
November 7 5 9.7 + .6 239 99 426
14 5 8.8 - .9 240 99 427
21 5 9.2 + .4 237 99 428
28 5 9.4 + .2 237 99 429
December 5 5 8.9 - .5 227 98 430
12 11 6.9 237 99 421R
19 13 6.7 237 99 422R
26 12 6.4 231 98 423R

1994

Week Ending Rank Rating Chng Stat. % Cov Episode
----------- ---- ------ ---- ----- ----- -------
January 2 5 7.9 231 98 409R
9 4 9.3 + .4 236 99 431
16 6 8.9 - .4 238 99 432
23 10 8.0 236 98 424R
30 11 7.5 236 99 425R
February 6 9 8.6 - .3 239 99 433
13 7 9.3 + .7 236 99 434
20 6tie 8.2 -1.1 229 99 435
27 6 9.5 +1.3 232 99 436
March 6 8 8.8 - .7 238 99 437
13 9 7.7 236 99 406R
20 7 7.4 227 99 419R
27 4tie 8.8 .0 232 99 438
April 3 6tie 8.4 - .4 232 99 439
10 8 7.2 235 99 426R
17 6tie 7.6 234 99 427R
24 4tie 7.5 235 98 428R
May 1 4tie 8.6 + .2 235 99 440
8 5 8.3 - .3 230 98 441
15 5 8.0 - .3 230 98 442
22 5 8.9 + .9 237 99 443
29 8 6.6 -2.3 236 99 444
June 5 7 6.2 231 98 412R
12 5 7.7 +1.1 236 99 445
19 4tie 7.7 .0 236 99 446
26 7 6.5 236 99 432R
July 3 12tie 5.8 225 98 433R
10 5 6.4 234 99 434R
17 6 6.9 233 99 436R
24 9tie 5.9 235 99 438R
31 12 5.9 231 98 439R
August 7 14 6.0 235 99 440R
14 8 6.3 236 99 441R
21 11 6.0 235 99 429R
28 12 5.9 223 99 442R
September 4 11 6.1 227 98 443R
11 12 5.5 235 99 444R
18 11tie 5.5 234 99 445R
25 18 4.8 199 93 446R
October 2 Not charted - DS9 changed to a 2-week window
9 3 9.3 +1.6 236 99 447
16 4tie 8.2 -1.1 238 99 448
23 5 7.6 - .6 239 99 449
30 6 7.4 - .2 238 99 450
November 6 6tie 7.8 + .4 238 99 451
13 6 8.0 + .2 238 99 452
20 5 8.1 + .1 238 99 453
27 5tie 8.5 + .4 238 99 454
December 4 4 9.3 + .8 237 98 455
11 5 8.2 -1.1 238 99 456
18 7tie 7.0 237 99 437R
26 7 6.8 237 99 435R

1995

Week Ending Rank Rating Chng Stat. % Cov Episode
----------- ---- ------ ---- ----- ----- -------
January 1 9tie 5.9 228 98 430R
8 10 6.5 233 99 431R
15 6 7.4 - .8 234 99 457
22 6 8.0 + .6 234 98 458
29 6 7.1 232 99 449R
February 5 7 7.4 237 99 450R
12 4tie 8.2 + .2 239 99 459
19 4 8.3 + .1 234 98 460
26 4 8.1 - .2 237 99 461
March 5 6tie 7.5 - .6 236 99 462
12 3 7.9 + .4 237 99 463
19 4 7.2 237 99 447R
26 5 7.1 231 99 448R
April 2 6 6.8 234 99 451R
9 5 6.5 236 99 452R
16 4 6.7 237 99 455R
23 3tie 7.1 - .8 239 99 464
30 4tie 6.9 - .2 239 99 466
May 7 4 6.9 .0 239 99 465
14 - - - - - 467
21 - - - - - 468
28 4 6.9 - 239 99 469
June 4 4 7.1 + .2 239 99 470
11 8tie 5.5 234 99 457R
18 7tie 5.3 237 99 458R
25 6 5.9 -1.2 238 99 471
July 2 3tie 7.1 +1.2 237 99 472
9 4 6.0 235 99 453R

[lots missing, then]

December 3 10 6.9 235 98 481
10 8tie 6.8 -0.1 234 98 482
17 10tie 5.9 234 98 468R
24 11 6.1 232 97 469R

[lots missing, then]

1996

Week Ending Rank Rating Chng Episode
----------- ---- ------ ---- -------
July 21 9 5.1 484R
28 15tie 3.9 485R
August 4 17tie 3.9 486R
11 25 3.7 487R
18 15 4.3 488R
25 13 4.2 491R
September 1 [missing] 492R
6 [missing] 494R
15 9 4.8 495R
22 11 5.1 496R
29 12 4.5 497R
October 6 12 4.5 498R
13 8 5.6 499: Apocalypse Rising
20 6?t 6.0 500: The Ship
27 501: Looking for par'Mach...
November 3 502: ...Nor the Battle To the
Strong
10 504: The Assignment
17 503: Trials and Tribble-ations
24 505: Let He Who is Without Sin...
December 1 506: Things Past
8 507: The Ascent
15 489R
22 490R
29 493R

--
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
We are not now that strength which in old days

Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Geoff Wingard

Jan 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/25/97

In article <corteseE...@netcom.com>

cor...@netcom.com (Janis Maria C. C. Cortese) writes:

>In article <5cak6b$7...@umcc.umcc.umich.edu> gr...@umcc.umcc.umich.edu (JennieD-O'C) writes:
>>Janis Maria C. C. Cortese <cor...@netcom.com> wrote:
>>
>>[re: DS9]
>>>Seems to me the solution's simple -- get Kira out of the hooker duds,

WHAT?!? Get Kira OUT of the hooker duds?!?! Hell, do more Mirror, Mirror
Universe stories! I LIKE Kira in Leather. And Sisco was NUTS to come back
when he had ALL three babes to play with.

>>>shove Worf out an airlock,

No, no, no, no! (to the tune of "I've Been Working on the Railroad")
It's: "Let's throw Wesley out the airlock,
Watch him spin in space!
Let's throw Wesley out the airlock,
And quickly seal his fate!
...."

>"Julian, come here. Let me show you our new line of men's lingerie, my
>dear . . . "

Sure, why not? A little beefcake for the women in the audience is only fair!
;-)

Grabbing asbestos undies and closing the hatches!
"Ooogah! Oogah! Ooogah! Dive! Dive! Dive!"

+ "When the going gets WEIRD, the WEIRD get going!" - FIAWOL! +
+ Geoff Wingard gwg...@vm.sc.edu GWin...@sc.edu +
+ +
+ B E E R +
+ P I Z Z A +
+ M I L K S H A K E S The REAL Nutrition Pyramid! +
+ F R E N C H - F R I E S +
+ C H E E S E B U R G E R S +

Lisa Deutsch Harrigan

Feb 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/4/97

sin...@netcom.com (Joshua Jasper) gave us these sage words:

>In article <19970123091...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,

>Jms at B5 <jms...@aol.com> wrote:
>>"Someone should tell me why someone like me can't like B5 AND DS9 without
>>having to defend one or the other; I like 'em both, don't shoot me!"
>>

>>I couldn't agree more. My quibble was with those who look facts they
>>don't like in the face and write them off as "naysayers." Numbers is
>>numbers, but personal tastes are personal tastes, and as far as I'm
>>concerned, the more SF the merrier.

> Generaly, if it's good for one SF show, it ought to help along

>other SF shows just by proving they can be done in a way that helps the
>networks. I wonder if TV will get any positive fallout from the new Star
>Wars movies.

In my neck of the woods, DS9 is the lead in for B5. So, in the SF Bay
Area, it is literally, "What's good for the goose is good for the
gander." If DS9 stats go up, B5's will too. And this is true for
_both_ showings of both shows. Yeh, we get to see them and ST:V twice
each week, during prime time. It pays to live in a _very_ SF oriented
community.

Now, if I could just have as many interesting shows to watch the other
5 nights of the week, I would never get anything done!

Auntie M (More SF, More SF, More SF, I'm still not satisfied)

* Lisa Deutsch Harrigan * "Any excuse for a con party." *
* li...@harrigan.org * "The easy to remember address." *
* aunt...@harrigan.org * "Definitely not in Kansas." *
* *
* I don't need no stinking disclaimer. This is my domain, and I can *
* say what ever I want. Right, dear? *
* *

Chuck Fullerton

Feb 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/5/97

li...@harrigan.org (Lisa Deutsch Harrigan) wrote:

>Now, if I could just have as many interesting shows to watch the other
>5 nights of the week, I would never get anything done!

Sounds like you need the Sci-Fi Channel, Lisa!

-cHUCK
<*><-o->

Lisa Deutsch Harrigan

Feb 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/5/97

Chuck Fullerton <nou...@mindspring.com> gave us these sage words:

Actually got that just recently. But some of what they are showing
I've already seen half a zillion times (or don't want to see again
anyway); some of it is _not_ Science Fiction, like Sightings; and most
of their original programming is lame. It and the Discovery Channel do
seem to be my two leave it on when nothing else is showing channels.

BUT I WANT MORE NEW GOOD STUFF! Like, like, BABYLON 5! I'm not asking
for much, am I? <vbg>

<vampy come hither look with dollars in my hands>
Hey big movie exec types, I'm rich, I spend money. I do refuse to be
male between 18-24 though. Did you where's-the-money-types see that
Star Wars grossed over $36 million it's first week-end? ($30 more than
the movie in the #2 spot?) SF needs to be seen much more on the
regular TV channels, not just in some ghetto.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

Auntie M (who used to babysit Kirshner's kids when she was a teenager)

Atreyu

Feb 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/5/97

On 5 Feb 1997, Chuck Fullerton wrote:

> li...@harrigan.org (Lisa Deutsch Harrigan) wrote:
>
> >Now, if I could just have as many interesting shows to watch the other
> >5 nights of the week, I would never get anything done!
>
> Sounds like you need the Sci-Fi Channel, Lisa!

Yes -- then you could watch the same interesting show five or six times
in the -same- week, sometimes even on the same day!

Chuck Fullerton

Feb 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/6/97

Yeah, the SFC isn't perfect but at least they show Rod
Serling's Twilight Zone on a regular basis (know any writers on this
group that were heavily influenced by Serling?;-)) and Boris Karloff's
terrifically creepy Thriller. I wish they would help us out during rerun
time by running some of JMS' other series such as The Real Ghostbusters,
New Twilight Zone and Captain Power, but alas, I was told by a SFC
rep that they "are not currently looking to acquire New Twilight Zone."
So we basically can't see that series -anywhere-. :-(

-cHuCK
--------
<*><-o->

Bob Stout

Feb 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/6/97

On 6 Feb 1997, Chuck Fullerton wrote:

> group that were heavily influenced by Serling?;-)) and Boris Karloff's
> terrifically creepy Thriller. I wish they would help us out during rerun

Seconded... The one single show that sent more chills up my young spine than
any other was "The Grim Reaper" on Thriller. I have it on tape now, and
it's still creepy. When I got the tape, it was neat to find it not only
had the capacity to still affect me, but also to recognize William Shatner
and Natalie Shaffer (sp? - i.e. Capt. Kirk & Mrs. Howell) as the main
characters.

MicroFirm: Down to the C in chips...
FidoNet 1:106/2000.6
Internet r...@brokersys.com
Home of SNIPPETS - Current release:
ftp.brokersys.com:/pub/snippets/snip9611.zip & snip9611.taz (.tar.Z)
http://www.brokersys.com/snippets/
juge.com:/c/snip9611.lzh
PDN nodes (SNIP9611.RAR) and SimTel mirror sites