ATTN Joe: The 4400 season 3 premiere

0 views
Skip to first unread message

valen1260

unread,
Jun 12, 2006, 10:57:24 PM6/12/06
to
[4400/RISING STARS SPOILER FOLLOWS]

I've always thought The 4400 drew (stole, copied) just as much from the
magnificent "Rising Stars" as it did from "The X-Files" or "X-Men". My
jaw dropped Sunday night, during the third season's premiere, when the
4400 use their powers to make desert soil fertile again. This was
ripped right from "Rising Stars".

Joe, were you aware of this? How do you feel about the pretty blatant
rip-off? Will you take action?


Sincerely and always,
A loyal fan


Paul Harper

unread,
Jun 13, 2006, 3:20:12 AM6/13/06
to

He'd have to join the queue behind John Wyndham.

The whole concept is as old as Science Fiction itself to the point
where it's become a cliche and a rather over-used one at that.

Paul.
--
. Bill Maher: "Tulips aren't flowers, they're gay onions"
. A .sig is all well and good, but it's no substitute for a personality
. Is there a moron carrot above? Have you replied to it? Are you sure?
. EMail: Unless invited to, don't; it's likely to be automatically deleted.

Lance Corporal "Hammer" Schultz

unread,
Jun 13, 2006, 8:28:38 AM6/13/06
to

That's like getting upset because a new story has someone blowing up a
city with a nuclear bomb. Do you think jms was the first to write a
story where a major city was nuked, too? Both ideas (arid lands
turning fertile, cities being nuked) have been used before.

The 4400 is a great show. You may as well get upset that jms stole
the idea of telepathy from other sci fi writers if you're upset that
the 4400 idea of people getting superpowers isn't unique.

--
Lance Corporal "Hammer" Schultz
Promote someone else.


Wendy of NJ

unread,
Jun 13, 2006, 9:00:04 AM6/13/06
to
On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 02:57:24 +0000 (UTC), valen1260
<vale...@insightbb.com> wrote:

Crap! I missed the new season premiere?

-Wendy

Paul Hahn

unread,
Jun 13, 2006, 10:00:30 AM6/13/06
to
On Tue, 13 Jun 2006, Wendy of NJ wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 02:57:24 +0000 (UTC), valen1260
> <vale...@insightbb.com> wrote:
>>[4400/RISING STARS SPOILER SNIPPED]

>
> Crap! I missed the new season premiere?

It was on Sunday night, but fear not; it's on again Wednesday night,
Saturday afternoon, and Sunday morning.

--pH <many...@wustl.edu> http://library.wustl.edu/~manynote
O
/\ "Foul? What the hell for?"
-\-\-- o "Because you are chalking your cue with the 3-ball."

Paul Harper

unread,
Jun 13, 2006, 1:46:40 PM6/13/06
to

It is available for download, should you choose.

Matt Ion

unread,
Jun 13, 2006, 10:52:07 PM6/13/06
to

You're assuming Joe invented the idea in the first place.

Wendy of NJ

unread,
Jun 14, 2006, 7:49:47 AM6/14/06
to
On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 14:00:30 +0000 (UTC), Paul Hahn
<many...@wustl.edu> wrote:

>On Tue, 13 Jun 2006, Wendy of NJ wrote:
>> On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 02:57:24 +0000 (UTC), valen1260
>> <vale...@insightbb.com> wrote:
>>>[4400/RISING STARS SPOILER SNIPPED]
>>
>> Crap! I missed the new season premiere?
>
>It was on Sunday night, but fear not; it's on again Wednesday night,
>Saturday afternoon, and Sunday morning.

I found out looking at the schedule. the 4400 was (I hope) the last
casualty of the old TiVo dying. Season pass has been programmed.

valen1260

unread,
Jun 14, 2006, 10:41:27 AM6/14/06
to
I'm not familiar with Wyndham's work, and in my haste and ignorance,
jumped on the newsgroup. At least I learned something.

However, it's not just the concept of revitalizing the desert that seems
used here. That seems such an obvious premise, that I don't know how
far back we'd have to chase its origins. In this particular instance,
though, it's that humans with extraordinary biological powers use those
powers to alter the landscape overnight as a gesture of peace (or not
quite peace, but close enough).

I just felt very cheated by the episode. Even if it's not wholly JMS'
idea, his work is so recent and so similar, that it's nearly impossible
to avoid comparison.

Paul Harper

unread,
Jun 14, 2006, 2:34:30 PM6/14/06
to
On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 14:41:27 +0000 (UTC), valen1260
<vale...@insightbb.com> wrote:

>I'm not familiar with Wyndham's work, and in my haste and ignorance,
>jumped on the newsgroup. At least I learned something.
>
>However, it's not just the concept of revitalizing the desert that seems
>used here. That seems such an obvious premise, that I don't know how
>far back we'd have to chase its origins. In this particular instance,
>though, it's that humans with extraordinary biological powers use those
>powers to alter the landscape overnight as a gesture of peace (or not
>quite peace, but close enough).
>
>I just felt very cheated by the episode. Even if it's not wholly JMS'
>idea, his work is so recent and so similar, that it's nearly impossible
>to avoid comparison.

No worries! There is so little genuinely *original* work around these
days that it gets treated as either a mistake or a masterpiece
(depending upon your view of the author <g>) when it does occur!

"Derivative" can easily sum up most output, sadly. It doesn't make it
any less enjoyable, of course - there are Tom Clancy books and then
there are good political thrillers, after all[*] - but it's long been
learned not to expect that bullet-through-the-brain frisson of
excitement when something genuinely ground-breaking gets discovered.

Paul.

* he hasn't written anything worth opening since Hunt for Red October,
IMHO

Wesley Struebing

unread,
Jun 14, 2006, 9:14:57 PM6/14/06
to
On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 18:34:30 +0000 (UTC), Paul Harper
<pa...@harper.net> wrote:

>On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 14:41:27 +0000 (UTC), valen1260
><vale...@insightbb.com> wrote:
>
>>I'm not familiar with Wyndham's work, and in my haste and ignorance,
>>jumped on the newsgroup. At least I learned something.
>>
>>However, it's not just the concept of revitalizing the desert that seems
>>used here. That seems such an obvious premise, that I don't know how
>>far back we'd have to chase its origins. In this particular instance,
>>though, it's that humans with extraordinary biological powers use those
>>powers to alter the landscape overnight as a gesture of peace (or not
>>quite peace, but close enough).
>>
>>I just felt very cheated by the episode. Even if it's not wholly JMS'
>>idea, his work is so recent and so similar, that it's nearly impossible
>>to avoid comparison.
>
>No worries! There is so little genuinely *original* work around these
>days that it gets treated as either a mistake or a masterpiece
>(depending upon your view of the author <g>) when it does occur!

Sure and it sort of depends on the author's treatment of that
derivation which is a big determiner of the goodness (or lack thereof)
of it.


>
>"Derivative" can easily sum up most output, sadly. It doesn't make it
>any less enjoyable, of course - there are Tom Clancy books and then
>there are good political thrillers, after all[*] - but it's long been
>learned not to expect that bullet-through-the-brain frisson of
>excitement when something genuinely ground-breaking gets discovered.
>

Yup. The word itself is a pejorative, but since just about everything
we see, hear or read is derivative of something...well, there you have
it.

--

Wes Struebing

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution of the United States of America,
and to the republic which it established, one nation from many peoples,
promising liberty and justice for all.

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages