SiL / "The Lurker's Guide to Babylon 5"

JBo

Dec 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/1/98
In "The Lurker's Guide to Babylon 5" SiL page they have a picture of a
'duck' shaped starship. I haven't been able to figure out what it is.
Does anyone know? Thanks.

John

Tom Maddox

Dec 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/1/98

Ah, that darned space duck.

--
Tom Maddox, MCSE, BOFH | <mailto:lma...@tigger1.nado.hp.com> | Mine.
"Christianity saves us the discomfort of being dead." -- Scott

Eytan Zweig

Dec 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/1/98

JBo wrote in message <3663376C...@goodnet.com>...

>In "The Lurker's Guide to Babylon 5" SiL page they have a picture of a
>'duck' shaped starship. I haven't been able to figure out what it is.
>Does anyone know? Thanks.
>
>John

It's Sinclair's Duck...

A very old newsgroup joke...

Aaron Bergman

Dec 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/1/98
In article <3663376C...@goodnet.com>, JBo <ej7...@goodnet.com> wrote:

>In "The Lurker's Guide to Babylon 5" SiL page they have a picture of a
>'duck' shaped starship. I haven't been able to figure out what it is.
>Does anyone know? Thanks.

It's a really old joke dating back to "A Voice in the Wilderness" which
draws on an even older joke involving various attributes of certain actors
and actresses.

You can probably find a full explanation in Dejanews -- I'm too tired to
write one up write now.

Aaron

Puff the Magic Dragon

Dec 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/1/98
On 1 Dec 1998 14:58:59 -0700, "Eytan Zweig" <eyt...@spinoza.tau.ac.il>
wrote:

>JBo wrote in message <3663376C...@goodnet.com>...

>>In "The Lurker's Guide to Babylon 5" SiL page they have a picture of a
>>'duck' shaped starship. I haven't been able to figure out what it is.
>>Does anyone know? Thanks.
>>

>>John
>>

>It's Sinclair's Duck...
>
>A very old newsgroup joke...

Could someone please explain this joke, I've been here for a couple of
years but have yet to see an explanation. I kept hoping it'd pop up
between then and now but it didn't, so could someone please fill me
(and all the new people) in?

Puff the Magic Dragon
"The avalanche has already started, it is too late for the pebbles
to vote" - Kosh Naranek
"Nothing endures but change" - Heraclitus

Ailsa Murphy

Dec 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/2/98
In article <741fdl$39a$1...@hpscit.sc.hp.com>,

lma...@tigger1.nado.hp.com (Tom Maddox) wrote:
> In article <3663376C...@goodnet.com>, JBo <ej7...@goodnet.com> wrote:
> >In "The Lurker's Guide to Babylon 5" SiL page they have a picture of a
> >'duck' shaped starship. I haven't been able to figure out what it is.
> >Does anyone know? Thanks.
>
> Ah, that darned space duck.

Sinclair's d*ck? *grin* (Yes, I _have_ been here that long...)

-Ailsa

--
Foon a kasha shtarbt min nisht Ailsa N.T. Murphy
>From a question you don't die ailsa....@tfn.com

Kurt Reisler

Dec 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/2/98
In article <741j2m$lrm$1...@goethe.tau.ac.il>,

Eytan Zweig <eyt...@spinoza.tau.ac.il> wrote:

>JBo wrote in message <3663376C...@goodnet.com>...
>>In "The Lurker's Guide to Babylon 5" SiL page they have a picture of a
>>'duck' shaped starship. I haven't been able to figure out what it is.
>>Does anyone know? Thanks.
>>
>>John
>
>It's Sinclair's Duck...
>
>A very old newsgroup joke...

And a special icon for those of us who have "always been here" :-)

--
Kurt Reisler (UNIX SIG Folded Chair, DECUS US Chapter)
Captain, UNISIG International Luge Team

JBo

Dec 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/2/98
I did some research in Dejanews and The Lurker's Guide to B5 and this is what
I found out:

The Background
JMS!! What are the rules?

Of the options you listed, only D poses a real problem; A-C are
more or less okay. The problem comes not so much from speculating on
elements already introduced, as introducing *new* plot elements that
have not been seen in the show to back up speculation or conjecture,
which may or may not approximate what we're doing. "The Minbari
surrendered because in some episode we'll see someday the Earth had
developed a giant killer space duck hidden on the dark side of the
moon that would nibble the Minbari homeworld to destruction." That is
kind of the dividing line between what's safe and not-safe.

jms

The Story
Ah.

The duck.

Welp, listen up, young 'uns, and you'll hear a tale from the old
days, from back when the bald 'n' bony fan club made sense, Sinclair was
the station's final commander, and moderation was a thing for
rec.humor.funny.

It seems that certain people once had a certain fondness for certain
parts of Claudia Christian's anatomy. These people started a thread to
discuss them, and this thread was called "Ivanova's t*ts," and it was
slightly censored to appease the vocally offendable.

Certain _other_ people asked, "So why don't we ever have threads like
this about the _guys_?" And so, not to be outdone, these people promptly
started a thread entitled "Sinclair's d*ck."

JMS saw this thread, and unto it posted the reply: "Hey! How did you
find out about that? We weren't supposed to introduce Sinclair's duck
until season 3!"

Shortly thereafter, the aforementioned gif appeared on the Lurker's
Guide.

Let that be a warning to you.

----j7y

The JMS post
Re: Sinclair's D*CK!

I don't understand...what does Sinclair's duck have to do with
anything? We weren't even planning on introducing the duck until late in
season two. I suspect a leak. Nothing worse than a leaky duck.

jms

Another JMS "Duck" Joke

"How did Sinclair's duck thing get started?"

Probably by watching an attractive woman walk across the room.

jm(quack in residence)s

The JMS Response to the Pic
Re: Regarding the Voices 2 GIF

It's a duck. Yes, why, of course it's a ducky. Why would I think
anything else? What a silly question.

It's a duck. A texture mapped metallic duck coming out of a
jumpgate.

A duck. Of course. A duck.

*

AAAAUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

*

(I wanna see it...and I wanna see it now.)

jms

It apparently is a well covered topic, and a question that most of the
posters want to.... Uh Oh

<wheet!>
Uh OH!
tramptramptrampTrampTrampTRAMPTRAMPTRAMP.....

WHAM!WHAM!WHAM!WHAM!WHAM!

Don't ask. Something else I found.

John

> >It's Sinclair's Duck...
> >
> >A very old newsgroup joke...

Captain Nerd

Dec 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/3/98
In article <7445s0$k...@umbc7.umbc.edu>, k...@umbc.edu (Kurt Reisler) wrote:

> In article <741j2m$lrm$1...@goethe.tau.ac.il>,
> Eytan Zweig <eyt...@spinoza.tau.ac.il> wrote:
> >
> >JBo wrote in message <3663376C...@goodnet.com>...
> >>In "The Lurker's Guide to Babylon 5" SiL page they have a picture of a
> >>'duck' shaped starship. I haven't been able to figure out what it is.
> >>Does anyone know? Thanks.
> >>

> >>John
> >
> >It's Sinclair's Duck...
> >
> >A very old newsgroup joke...
> >

> And a special icon for those of us who have "always been here" :-)

And we never got to see Ivanova's tots...

Cap.
(*Sigh*)

--
"By the taping of my glasses,
something geeky this way passes" Captain Nerd

---== http://www.newsfeeds.com - Largest Usenet Server In The World! ==---

---== http://www.newsfeeds.com - Largest Usenet Server In The World! ==---

Medullosa

Dec 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/3/98
Oops... sorry. I didn't read the original post closely enough...

Duh... stoopid, tired, burned out me... (I can't wait for this semester to be
over...)