from jms the announcement

1 view
Skip to first unread message

jms...@aol.com

unread,
Jun 28, 2006, 9:48:37 AM6/28/06
to
It appeared on June 27th, front page of Variety. To quote the relevant
section:

"Universal Pictures and Imagine Entertainment have purchased J. Michael
Straczynski's thriller "The Changeling," which is being eyed by Ron
Howard to direct.
Project, to be produced by Brian Grazer, joins the shortlist of pics
Howard is considering as his next endeavor.

Story, billed as based on actual events, is about a mother who prays
for the return of her kidnapped son. When her prayers are answered,
however, she begins to suspect the boy who comes back is not her
child."

It is, without question, the biggest deal I've ever made, and with Ron
directing (everyone is talking about it as though he's going to do it,
though that has not been stated officially by anyone), and it moves me
from being marginally known in the film business right into the
catetory of a-list writer overnight, which parallels what happened with
Akiva Goldman. I'm thrilled that Ron is involved, because I've always
thought he had amazing story sense and he's one of the directors I most
regard in this business.

Those involved were great in the deal making, and this stands to be a
huge movie.

jms

Amy Guskin

unread,
Jun 28, 2006, 9:53:30 AM6/28/06
to
Many hearty congratulations! May it be a huge success and a great experience
for you no matter who ends up directing it.

Amy

Joan

unread,
Jun 28, 2006, 10:04:33 AM6/28/06
to

I am so pleased and thrilled for you. In my books you were on the
a-list to begin with.
Congratulations.


Joan


Jan

unread,
Jun 28, 2006, 10:09:24 AM6/28/06
to
In article <1151482133.7...@75g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
jms...@aol.com says...


Congratulations! Hope it's made soon and exactly the way you want.

Jan


--
We are the voice of the universe, the soul of creation,
The fire that will light the way to a better future.
We are One.
IA Declaration of Principles
(J. Michael Straczynski)

Angelika Tobisch

unread,
Jun 28, 2006, 10:19:02 AM6/28/06
to
Jan schrieb:

> Congratulations! Hope it's made soon and exactly the way you want.

I'll just second that.

Great news!

Angelika

krueg...@hotmail.com

unread,
Jun 28, 2006, 10:24:28 AM6/28/06
to
Now of course we will have a million questions about it... all of which
you can't answer, I presume. :)

That is big news. Ron Howard is one of the biggest directors we've got
today. And he doesn't seem to butcher the stories he translates to
film.

What a great break!

It's about time. ;)


Ranger Elenopa

unread,
Jun 28, 2006, 11:45:33 AM6/28/06
to
Woohoo!!!!!

Many congrats. So when it comes out in the UK, will you be interviewed
by Jonathon Ross?

Ranger Elenopa


Matt Ion

unread,
Jun 28, 2006, 12:11:05 PM6/28/06
to
jms...@aol.com wrote:

> It is, without question, the biggest deal I've ever made, and with Ron
> directing (everyone is talking about it as though he's going to do it,
> though that has not been stated officially by anyone), and it moves me
> from being marginally known in the film business right into the
> catetory of a-list writer overnight, which parallels what happened with
> Akiva Goldman. I'm thrilled that Ron is involved, because I've always
> thought he had amazing story sense and he's one of the directors I most
> regard in this business.


BOO-YAH!

Chris Patterson

unread,
Jun 28, 2006, 12:18:46 PM6/28/06
to
In article <1151482133.7...@75g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
jms...@aol.com wrote:

> "Universal Pictures and Imagine Entertainment have purchased J. Michael
> Straczynski's thriller "The Changeling," which is being eyed by Ron
> Howard to direct.
> Project, to be produced by Brian Grazer, joins the shortlist of pics
> Howard is considering as his next endeavor.

Wow. You weren't kidding. This is *huge*! From what little I know,
Howard and Grazer seem to treat their source material with the utmost
respect.

Just being mentioned in the same sentence will give Ron Howard's career
such a boost! ;)

Congratulations!

Will you be able to keep us informed about the process of making this
film? Seems like it would be the ultimate learning experience for
aspiring writers. Is that a new story you just completed, or has it been
sitting on your shelf for awhile? Do you know how it came to Howard's
attention?

A million questions, indeed.... :)
--
=====================================================================
Chris Patterson chrispatterson.at.comcast.dot.net
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are
always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
-- Bertrand Russell
=====================================================================

shawn

unread,
Jun 28, 2006, 1:13:23 PM6/28/06
to
On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 13:48:37 +0000 (UTC), jms...@aol.com wrote:

>It appeared on June 27th, front page of Variety. To quote the relevant
>section:
>
>"Universal Pictures and Imagine Entertainment have purchased J. Michael
>Straczynski's thriller "The Changeling," which is being eyed by Ron
>Howard to direct.
>Project, to be produced by Brian Grazer, joins the shortlist of pics
>Howard is considering as his next endeavor.


Congratulations on the news! I look forward to being able to see it on
the big screen one day.


Dennis (Icarus)

unread,
Jun 28, 2006, 1:42:52 PM6/28/06
to

<jms...@aol.com> wrote in message
news:1151482133.7...@75g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...

Many heartfelt congratulations!
I always thought you were an a-list writer, but I realize that doesn't quite
have the same impact since I'm not in the business.
;-)

Dennis


.

Janne Mikola

unread,
Jun 28, 2006, 3:16:57 PM6/28/06
to
jms...@aol.com wrote:
> It is, without question, the biggest deal I've ever made, and with Ron
> directing (everyone is talking about it as though he's going to do it,
> though that has not been stated officially by anyone), and it moves me
> from being marginally known in the film business right into the
> catetory of a-list writer overnight, which parallels what happened with
> Akiva Goldman. I'm thrilled that Ron is involved, because I've always
> thought he had amazing story sense and he's one of the directors I most
> regard in this business.
>
> Those involved were great in the deal making, and this stands to be a
> huge movie.
>
> jms
>

You wrote and sold the story, but will you be involved anyway in the
making of the movie after this? I guess you won't, your part is now done.

Will we ever see JMS as a full-time show-runner or executive producer in
any form of motion picture or TV entertainment anymore? I know you can
write great stories but in my opinion you also have great vision of
implementing those stories on screen. And I'm pretty sure those may
sometimes (I'm not saying this has happened, only that it might happen)
differ a lot from the views of the director and producer who're making
the movie / series.

I think Ron Howard is one of the best directors who can be chosen to
make a movie written by you. He has done a great job on Cinderella Man,
A Beautiful Mind and Apollo 13... he also won a Oscar for 'Best
Directing' for Beautiful Mind. Only I'm saying that I'd like to see some
of your own visions come true just as you yourself wanted to, once more.
In any form of art there is in the world.

I know this particular case is in a scale that you never have been
before, and I want to congratulate you for your achievement.

Now we all just have to hope that movie will really be done.

--
Janne Mikola | janne....@tut.fi | 040-7726656
http://www.students.tut.fi/~mikolaj/


John Hudgens

unread,
Jun 28, 2006, 3:17:07 PM6/28/06
to
Congrats Joe... way back in the GEnie days you mentioned there was a
project you'd been planning to write about (after B5 was over) that
would be based on a true but unbelievable story... was that this? Just
curious...

RGesty

unread,
Jun 28, 2006, 3:17:37 PM6/28/06
to

Congratulations!!!!

With those names making the movie your vision should be able to go to
the screen the way YOU want it to be done. It must bring a huge amount
of satisfaction for this to happen and in my book, you have ALWAYS been
on the "A" list.

Travers Naran

unread,
Jun 28, 2006, 3:19:18 PM6/28/06
to
jms...@aol.com wrote:
> It appeared on June 27th, front page of Variety. To quote the relevant
> section:
>
> "Universal Pictures and Imagine Entertainment have purchased J. Michael
> Straczynski's thriller "The Changeling," which is being eyed by Ron
> Howard to direct.
> Project, to be produced by Brian Grazer, joins the shortlist of pics
> Howard is considering as his next endeavor.

So tell me... Did providing work to Ron's father help cinch the deal?
:-)

*ducks*

Craig

unread,
Jun 28, 2006, 3:19:18 PM6/28/06
to
On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 13:48:37 +0000 (UTC), jms...@aol.com wrote:

>It appeared on June 27th, front page of Variety. To quote the relevant
>section:
>
>"Universal Pictures and Imagine Entertainment have purchased J. Michael
>Straczynski's thriller "The Changeling," which is being eyed by Ron
>Howard to direct.
>Project, to be produced by Brian Grazer, joins the shortlist of pics
>Howard is considering as his next endeavor.

Just be sure to give us a shout out at....(will not jinx it by naming
the annual Feb. event.)

This really is hugh. Many, many congrats to you.

Craig

Brian Stinson

unread,
Jun 28, 2006, 3:19:38 PM6/28/06
to
Very cool! Congratulations Joe! From what little I know about the business
it sounds like you deserved something like this a long time ago.

Perhaps next Ron can have you write "The Straczynski Code". (Sorry,
couldn't pass it up).

I know this probably isn't very high on your list right now, but
hypothetically speaking, if you were to make another run at a B5 related
project, do you think it would be any easier to get it off the ground now,
since as you say, this project could elevate your status as a film writer.

Jeffrey Kaplan

unread,
Jun 28, 2006, 3:26:02 PM6/28/06
to
It is alleged that jms...@aol.com claimed:

> "Universal Pictures and Imagine Entertainment have purchased J. Michael
> Straczynski's thriller "The Changeling," which is being eyed by Ron
> Howard to direct.
> Project, to be produced by Brian Grazer, joins the shortlist of pics
> Howard is considering as his next endeavor.
>
> Story, billed as based on actual events, is about a mother who prays
> for the return of her kidnapped son. When her prayers are answered,
> however, she begins to suspect the boy who comes back is not her
> child."

I just saw the announcement of this on SciFi Wire, which concludes with
this sentence:

"Straczynski is a leading comic-book writer with an exclusive deal with
Marvel and several Spider-Man titles under his belt. He is perhaps best
known for his TV series Babylon 5."



> It is, without question, the biggest deal I've ever made, and with Ron
> directing (everyone is talking about it as though he's going to do it,
> though that has not been stated officially by anyone), and it moves me
> from being marginally known in the film business right into the
> catetory of a-list writer overnight, which parallels what happened with

So when do you get to move up to directing or producing your own screen
plays?

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org
The from userid is killfiled Send personal mail to gordol

"To quote a Human phrase 'it gives me the screamin' willies.'" (Draal,
B5 "Voices Of Authority")

Joseph DeMartino

unread,
Jun 28, 2006, 3:50:30 PM6/28/06
to
jms...@aol.com wrote:
> It is, without question, the biggest deal I've ever made

Congratulations. Couldn't have happened to a more deserving guy. As
for the Akiva Goldsman comparison - it is always hard to tell when an
writer just goes off the rails with a script and when a perfectly good
piece of writing is destroyed by the studio, the director and/or the
actors. But here's hoping your future scripts are handled by honorable
and honest people, and therefore come out like the Akiva Goldsman of
"Cinderella Man", "A Beautiful Mind" and "Practical Magic" (an
underrated little charmer) and not the Akiva Goldsman of "Lost in
Space" and "Batman & Robin". <g>

Regards,

Joe


Iva

unread,
Jun 28, 2006, 4:00:19 PM6/28/06
to
Wow, that's great! Congratulations!

I just want to know how I'm supposed to work,d rive, or do anything from now
on until the movie actually gets produced, while still keeping all my
fingers and toes crossed?!

---
Iva

Thunder 06

unread,
Jun 28, 2006, 4:06:21 PM6/28/06
to
jms...@aol.com wrote:

> "Universal Pictures and Imagine Entertainment have purchased J. Michael
> Straczynski's thriller "The Changeling," which is being eyed by Ron
> Howard to direct.

Congrats! I hope it gets made and soon. (btw, if Howard can convince
that daughter of his to get in the movie, I'm all for it--she's a cutie). :)

t.k.

shawn

unread,
Jun 28, 2006, 4:30:04 PM6/28/06
to


Duct tape. Cross your toes and tape them together. Do the same for
your fingers. You might not be as effective as before, but it should
work. :)

John W. Kennedy

unread,
Jun 28, 2006, 4:34:30 PM6/28/06
to
jms...@aol.com wrote:
> It is, without question, the biggest deal I've ever made, and with Ron
> directing (everyone is talking about it as though he's going to do it,
> though that has not been stated officially by anyone), and it moves me
> from being marginally known in the film business right into the
> catetory of a-list writer overnight, which parallels what happened with
> Akiva Goldman.

There is something vaguely bizarre in the fact that someone who, as a
script writer, has already been responsible for something on the order
of $1,000,000,000 of income for the shield suddenly becoming much more
important as a script writer because someone /might/ make a movie out
of a /novel/ that he wrote.

Yeah, I know.... It's Chinatown....

Well, if you say it's a good thing, I'll take your word for it.

(Kinda wish it didn't involve Ron Howard, though. For me, it's going to
be a while before the stink of TDVC dissipates.)


Craig M. Bobchin

unread,
Jun 28, 2006, 5:31:43 PM6/28/06
to
Joe,

I read this on Cinescape this morning and just have to say Mazel-Tov. I
Lookforward to seeing this on the screen. Can you give any more details
on the story and your future involvement with the production when it
goes forward?

Craig

In article <1151482133.7...@75g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
jms...@aol.com says...

Jon Schild

unread,
Jun 28, 2006, 5:32:04 PM6/28/06
to

Brian Stinson wrote:
> Very cool! Congratulations Joe! From what little I know about the business
> it sounds like you deserved something like this a long time ago.
>
> Perhaps next Ron can have you write "The Straczynski Code". (Sorry,
> couldn't pass it up).

I thought that was the way Kosh always talked.

Wesley Struebing

unread,
Jun 28, 2006, 7:18:15 PM6/28/06
to
On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 13:48:37 +0000 (UTC), jms...@aol.com wrote:

A most sincere congratulations! Hoping it a) really become a motion
picture, and b) Ron Howard does direct it - and do it decently!

--

Wes Struebing

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution of the United States of America,
and to the republic which it established, one nation from many peoples,
promising liberty and justice for all.

Carl

unread,
Jun 28, 2006, 7:42:07 PM6/28/06
to

<jms...@aol.com> wrote in message
news:1151482133.7...@75g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
> It appeared on June 27th, front page of Variety. To quote the relevant
> section:
>
> It is, without question, the biggest deal I've ever made, and with Ron
> directing (everyone is talking about it as though he's going to do it,
> though that has not been stated officially by anyone), and it moves me
> from being marginally known in the film business right into the
> catetory of a-list writer overnight, which parallels what happened with
> Akiva Goldman. I'm thrilled that Ron is involved, because I've always
> thought he had amazing story sense and he's one of the directors I most
> regard in this business.
>
> Those involved were great in the deal making, and this stands to be a
> huge movie.
>

Add my congratulations along with everyone else around here.

I hope this story gets told the way you envision it and leads to many other
opportunities for you in the future. I'll look forward to all of them.

Carl

All of the books in the world contain no more information than is broadcast
as video in a single large American city in a single year. Not all bits have
equal value.
-- Carl Sagan

Kay Shapero

unread,
Jun 28, 2006, 9:31:08 PM6/28/06
to
> It appeared on June 27th, front page of Variety. To quote the relevant
> section:
>
> "Universal Pictures and Imagine Entertainment have purchased J. Michael
> Straczynski's thriller "The Changeling," which is being eyed by Ron
> Howard to direct.
> Project, to be produced by Brian Grazer, joins the shortlist of pics
> Howard is considering as his next endeavor.
>

Woo-hoo! Congratulations, and may they pay more attention to the author
than legend suggests they do.
--
Kay Shapero
http://www.kayshapero.net

Lord Whorfin

unread,
Jun 28, 2006, 9:36:30 PM6/28/06
to
An overnight sucess after quite a long night. Cheers!

jms...@aol.com wrote:
> ...[I]t moves me from being marginally known in the film business right into the
> catetory of a-list writer overnight...

Tom Horsley

unread,
Jun 28, 2006, 9:36:50 PM6/28/06
to
On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 13:48:37 +0000, jmsatb5 wrote:

> I'm thrilled that Ron is involved, because I've always
> thought he had amazing story sense and he's one of the directors I most
> regard in this business.

But will they be shooting any scenes in zero-G? :-).

Carl Dershem

unread,
Jun 28, 2006, 9:44:13 PM6/28/06
to
jms...@aol.com wrote in news:1151482133.783806.232840@
75g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

> It appeared on June 27th, front page of Variety. To quote the relevant
> section:
>
> "Universal Pictures and Imagine Entertainment have purchased J. Michael
> Straczynski's thriller "The Changeling," which is being eyed by Ron
> Howard to direct.
> Project, to be produced by Brian Grazer, joins the shortlist of pics
> Howard is considering as his next endeavor.
>

> Story, billed as based on actual events, is about a mother who prays
> for the return of her kidnapped son. When her prayers are answered,
> however, she begins to suspect the boy who comes back is not her
> child."
>

> It is, without question, the biggest deal I've ever made, and with Ron
> directing (everyone is talking about it as though he's going to do it,

> though that has not been stated officially by anyone), and it moves me


> from being marginally known in the film business right into the

> catetory of a-list writer overnight, which parallels what happened with

> Akiva Goldman. I'm thrilled that Ron is involved, because I've always


> thought he had amazing story sense and he's one of the directors I most
> regard in this business.
>

> Those involved were great in the deal making, and this stands to be a
> huge movie.

Very spiffy. FInally a movie I want to see!

cd
--
The difference between immorality and immortality is "T". I like Earl
Grey.

Josh Hill

unread,
Jun 28, 2006, 9:59:49 PM6/28/06
to
On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 13:48:37 +0000 (UTC), jms...@aol.com wrote:

>It appeared on June 27th, front page of Variety. To quote the relevant
>section:
>
>"Universal Pictures and Imagine Entertainment have purchased J. Michael
>Straczynski's thriller "The Changeling," which is being eyed by Ron
>Howard to direct.
>Project, to be produced by Brian Grazer, joins the shortlist of pics
>Howard is considering as his next endeavor.
>
>Story, billed as based on actual events, is about a mother who prays
>for the return of her kidnapped son. When her prayers are answered,
>however, she begins to suspect the boy who comes back is not her
>child."
>
>It is, without question, the biggest deal I've ever made, and with Ron
>directing (everyone is talking about it as though he's going to do it,
>though that has not been stated officially by anyone), and it moves me
>from being marginally known in the film business right into the
>catetory of a-list writer overnight, which parallels what happened with
>Akiva Goldman. I'm thrilled that Ron is involved, because I've always
>thought he had amazing story sense and he's one of the directors I most
>regard in this business.
>
>Those involved were great in the deal making, and this stands to be a
>huge movie.

Woo hoo, as they say!

(Come to think of it, does anybody /actually/ say that?)

--
Josh

"I love it when I'm around the country club, and I hear people talking about the debilitating
effects of a welfare society. At the same time, they leave their kids a lifetime and beyond
of food stamps. Instead of having a welfare officer, they have a trust officer. And instead
of food stamps, they have stocks and bonds."

- Warren Buffett

mtogg...@hotmail.com

unread,
Jun 28, 2006, 10:19:21 PM6/28/06
to
Great News!

JMS, I'm very happy for you indeed.

And very happy for all of us. Ever since the "Lord of the Rings"
trilogy completed, there's been no feature film that I've been really,
REALLY looking forward to. Now I have one! And of course considering
what the success of "Changeling" would mean to the chances of B5 making
to the silver screen in exactly the form you'd like it to, well ...

Huge smile !!

Martin Toggweiler

The Nuclear Marine

unread,
Jun 29, 2006, 12:36:39 AM6/29/06
to
jms...@aol.com wrote in news:1151482133.783806.232840@
75g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

> It appeared on June 27th, front page of Variety. To quote the relevant


> section:
>
> "Universal Pictures and Imagine Entertainment have purchased J. Michael
> Straczynski's thriller "The Changeling," which is being eyed by Ron
> Howard to direct.
> Project, to be produced by Brian Grazer, joins the shortlist of pics
> Howard is considering as his next endeavor.
>
> Story, billed as based on actual events, is about a mother who prays
> for the return of her kidnapped son. When her prayers are answered,
> however, she begins to suspect the boy who comes back is not her
> child."
>

Since you wrote it, is it based on actual events? Even better, is there a
reference to these events?



> It is, without question, the biggest deal I've ever made, and with Ron
> directing (everyone is talking about it as though he's going to do it,
> though that has not been stated officially by anyone), and it moves me
> from being marginally known in the film business right into the
> catetory of a-list writer overnight, which parallels what happened with
> Akiva Goldman. I'm thrilled that Ron is involved, because I've always
> thought he had amazing story sense and he's one of the directors I most
> regard in this business.
>

Who's Akiva Goldman?

> Those involved were great in the deal making, and this stands to be a
> huge movie.
>

> jms
>

Who's jms

....*IMDB Search*....*Reference jms*....*Reference Akiva Goldman*...

Oh, right, tall fellow, has a thing for cats, hates teddy bears with his
initials. Typos names like Goldsman on occasion much to his displeasure.

Congratulations, I think. When a script gets bought (which happens alot),
as you said it generally doesn't get made into a movie. Is there
residuals IF a script gets made into a movie?

Nuke

--
There comes a time in every man's life when he must die - Charles Applin

I'm kinda divided on this whole abortion issue. On one hand, I'm not
about to let no woman control nothing, especially her own body. On the
other hand, I really hate babies.

Joseph DeMartino

unread,
Jun 29, 2006, 12:43:51 AM6/29/06
to
The Nuclear Marine wrote:
> Who's Akiva Goldman?

Typo. Should have been Akiva GoldSman.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0326040/

Writer Filmography:

# I Am Legend (2007) (pre-production)

# The Da Vinci Code (2006) (screenplay)
# Cinderella Man (2005) (screenplay)
# I, Robot (2004) (screenplay)
# A Beautiful Mind (2001) (written by)
# Practical Magic (1998) (screenplay)
# Lost in Space (1998) (written by)
# Batman & Robin (1997) (written by)
# A Time to Kill (1996) (screenplay)
# Batman Forever (1995) (screenplay)
# Silent Fall (1994) (written by)
# The Client (1994) (screenplay)

Regards,

Joe


Hank Arnold

unread,
Jun 29, 2006, 3:56:07 AM6/29/06
to
Excellent!!! Ron is definitely a star maker. Plus he has excellent
taste!! :-).....

Congrats!!!!!

Regards,
Hank Arnold

jms...@aol.com wrote:
> It appeared on June 27th, front page of Variety. To quote the relevant
> section:
>
> "Universal Pictures and Imagine Entertainment have purchased J. Michael
> Straczynski's thriller "The Changeling," which is being eyed by Ron
> Howard to direct.
> Project, to be produced by Brian Grazer, joins the shortlist of pics
> Howard is considering as his next endeavor.
>
> Story, billed as based on actual events, is about a mother who prays
> for the return of her kidnapped son. When her prayers are answered,
> however, she begins to suspect the boy who comes back is not her
> child."
>

> It is, without question, the biggest deal I've ever made, and with Ron
> directing (everyone is talking about it as though he's going to do it,
> though that has not been stated officially by anyone), and it moves me
> from being marginally known in the film business right into the
> catetory of a-list writer overnight, which parallels what happened with
> Akiva Goldman. I'm thrilled that Ron is involved, because I've always
> thought he had amazing story sense and he's one of the directors I most
> regard in this business.
>

Roseann

unread,
Jun 29, 2006, 6:04:06 AM6/29/06
to
Congratulations, Joe.

I've always thought that Ron Howard is a brilliant director with a keen eye
on that side of the camera. I feel he could really do justice to your story
telling.

How very exciting this is!

--
Roseann
In brightest day, in blackest night
No evil shall escape my site.
For those who worship evil's might,
Beware my power - Green Lantern's Light!


<jms...@aol.com> wrote in message
news:1151482133.7...@75g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...

Methuselah Jones

unread,
Jun 29, 2006, 8:49:21 AM6/29/06
to
Carved in mystic runes upon the very living rock, the last words of
Jeffrey Kaplan of rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated make plain:

> It is alleged that jms...@aol.com claimed:
>
>> "Universal Pictures and Imagine Entertainment have purchased J.
>> Michael Straczynski's thriller "The Changeling," which is being eyed
>> by Ron Howard to direct.
>>

> I just saw the announcement of this on SciFi Wire, which concludes
> with this sentence:
>
> "Straczynski is a leading comic-book writer with an exclusive deal
> with Marvel and several Spider-Man titles under his belt."

I wonder if that had anything to do with bringing Joe to the attention of
the big-shots, since comic book movies are The Big Thing lately.

--
Methuselah
"Time makes more converts than reason."
-- Thomas Paine

Tom

unread,
Jun 29, 2006, 8:58:48 AM6/29/06
to

jms...@aol.com wrote:
> It appeared on June 27th, front page of Variety. To quote the relevant
> section:
>
> "Universal Pictures and Imagine Entertainment have purchased J. Michael
> Straczynski's thriller "The Changeling," which is being eyed by Ron
> Howard to direct.
> Project, to be produced by Brian Grazer, joins the shortlist of pics
> Howard is considering as his next endeavor.
>
> Story, billed as based on actual events, is about a mother who prays
> for the return of her kidnapped son. When her prayers are answered,
> however, she begins to suspect the boy who comes back is not her
> child."
>
> It is, without question, the biggest deal I've ever made, and with Ron
> directing (everyone is talking about it as though he's going to do it,
> though that has not been stated officially by anyone), and it moves me
> from being marginally known in the film business right into the
> catetory of a-list writer overnight, which parallels what happened with
> Akiva Goldman. I'm thrilled that Ron is involved, because I've always
> thought he had amazing story sense and he's one of the directors I most
> regard in this business.
>
> Those involved were great in the deal making, and this stands to be a
> huge movie.
>
> jms

This is fantastic news. I may actually got to a movie theatre again
knowing that there will be something worth watching. My biggest hope
is that the powers that be in this film recognize the brilliance in
your storytelling and don't try to change too much. But lets not woory
about things that haven't happened. Congratulatons.


Methuselah Jones

unread,
Jun 29, 2006, 8:58:54 AM6/29/06
to
Carved in mystic runes upon the very living rock, the last words of
<jms...@aol.com> of rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated make plain:

> It appeared on June 27th, front page of Variety. To quote the
> relevant section:
>
> "Universal Pictures and Imagine Entertainment have purchased J.
> Michael Straczynski's thriller "The Changeling," which is being eyed
> by Ron Howard to direct. Project, to be produced by Brian Grazer,
> joins the shortlist of pics Howard is considering as his next
> endeavor.

Hey, way to go, Joe!

--
Methuselah
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with
sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
-- Galileo Galilei

krueg...@hotmail.com

unread,
Jul 1, 2006, 12:35:35 PM7/1/06
to
If these questions have been asked earlier, I apologize.

But what kind of a time-line are your fans looking at now? I mean, if
all were to go about as expected, when will Ron Howard decide what he's
directing next?

How involved will you be with the rewriting process, or is that not
decided yet?

How big was that truck that started pouring the money in your house,
and what denominations are the bills in. :D


Dan Dassow

unread,
Jul 3, 2006, 11:24:15 AM7/3/06
to

jms...@aol.com wrote:
> It appeared on June 27th, front page of Variety. To quote the relevant
> section:
>
> "Universal Pictures and Imagine Entertainment have purchased J. Michael
> Straczynski's thriller "The Changeling," which is being eyed by Ron
> Howard to direct.
> Project, to be produced by Brian Grazer, joins the shortlist of pics
> Howard is considering as his next endeavor.

...

> Those involved were great in the deal making, and this stands to be a
> huge movie.
>
> jms

Joe,

Selling your script is a great first step. I wish you the very best
luck in getting this movie produced. As you rightfully point out in
"The Complete Book of Scriptwriting", there remain many hurdles and
challenges in bringing your script to the silver screen. I hope that
you will be directly involved in any rewrites required to bring this
project to fruition and that your creative vision remains intact.

Dan Dassow
"You can take all the sincerity in Hollywood, place it in the navel of
a firefly and still have room enough for three caraway seeds and a
producer's heart."
- Fred Allen


Matthew Vincent

unread,
Jul 3, 2006, 8:38:58 PM7/3/06
to
jms...@aol.com wrote:
> It appeared on June 27th, front page of Variety. To quote the relevant
> section:
>
> "Universal Pictures and Imagine Entertainment have purchased J. Michael
> Straczynski's thriller "The Changeling," which is being eyed by Ron
> Howard to direct.
> Project, to be produced by Brian Grazer, joins the shortlist of pics
> Howard is considering as his next endeavor.
>
> Story, billed as based on actual events, is about a mother who prays
> for the return of her kidnapped son. When her prayers are answered,
> however, she begins to suspect the boy who comes back is not her
> child."
>
> It is, without question, the biggest deal I've ever made, and with Ron
> directing (everyone is talking about it as though he's going to do it,
> though that has not been stated officially by anyone), and it moves me
> from being marginally known in the film business right into the
> catetory of a-list writer overnight,

Congratulations. I tend to have mixed feelings about "success" in the
conventional sense, but as far as it goes, I can't think of anyone more
deserving. You've always had the talent and now it's been combined with
finding a good opportunity.

Sounds like it will be an interesting film, too.

Matthew


Methuselah Jones

unread,
Jul 3, 2006, 9:38:23 PM7/3/06
to
Carved in mystic runes upon the very living rock, the last words of
<jms...@aol.com> of rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated make plain:

> It appeared on June 27th, front page of Variety. To quote the relevant


> section:
>
> "Universal Pictures and Imagine Entertainment have purchased J. Michael
> Straczynski's thriller "The Changeling," which is being eyed by Ron
> Howard to direct.

I just learned something interesting about Hollywood logic. I was
watching an interview with Terry Gilliam, about getting "Brazil" made.
He'd shopped it around and got no takers. Finally, Fox said they would
back it if Gilliam would direct "Enemy Mine" first. He refused, and
therefore was finally able to make "Brazil".

The logic goes like this: Fox had tried to get a number of A-level
directors to do "Enemy", but they had all declined. But because A-level
directors had been offered the film, it must be an A-level project. Thus,
when it was offered to Gilliam, he naturally became an A-level director,
since he was being offered an A-level project, and when he declined and
said he wanted to do "Brazil", well then obviously "Brazil" must be an A-
level project, since an A-level director was interested in it.

So, even if Howard doesn't end up directing your story, the fact that he
even considered it is a plus.

--
Methuselah
"Coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous."
-- Tom Shadyac

Message has been deleted

krueg...@hotmail.com

unread,
Jul 7, 2006, 1:11:40 AM7/7/06
to

Methuselah Jones wrote:
> I just learned something interesting about Hollywood logic. I was
> watching an interview with Terry Gilliam, about getting "Brazil" made.
> He'd shopped it around and got no takers. Finally, Fox said they would
> back it if Gilliam would direct "Enemy Mine" first. He refused, and
> therefore was finally able to make "Brazil".
>
> The logic goes like this: Fox had tried to get a number of A-level
> directors to do "Enemy", but they had all declined. But because A-level
> directors had been offered the film, it must be an A-level project. Thus,
> when it was offered to Gilliam, he naturally became an A-level director,
> since he was being offered an A-level project, and when he declined and
> said he wanted to do "Brazil", well then obviously "Brazil" must be an A-
> level project, since an A-level director was interested in it.

I keep reading this and thinking "I must be reading this wrong".

LOL

That is simply too weird for words.


shawn

unread,
Jul 7, 2006, 1:34:30 AM7/7/06
to

I think this shows part of what is wrong in Hollywood. Foremost that
anyone could even begin to think this kind of logic might work.
Secondly, the idea that it matters whether a director is an A-level or
B-level. It's should be a question of is the director talented enough
to do the job and then is he/she a good fit for the project. Then you
consider is the money going to be right for the director. That they
don't follow something like this amazes me, and makes it obvious why
they keep remaking older movies since that's the safest path.

Matt Ion

unread,
Jul 7, 2006, 2:33:33 AM7/7/06
to

Not to sound too cynical, but... this is what happens in a land where
casual parties include bowls of cocaine set out like grapes for guests
to enjoy... :P

Fortunately the mentality isn't ALL-pervasive...

UNfortuantely, at some point, it appears just about anyone wanting to
get anything done in Hollyweird will be affected by the mentality at one
point or another.

Just as a slight aside, Will Smith is one of those "movie biz" people
I've generally been coming to respet more for not falling prey to that
mindset... I read a great quote from him the other day (paraphrased):
"Too many people spend money they don't have, to buy things they don't
want, to impress people they don't like."

Kay Shapero

unread,
Jul 7, 2006, 3:45:36 AM7/7/06
to
In article <vbsra25gri9002aot...@4ax.com>,
nanof...@gmail.com says...

> I think this shows part of what is wrong in Hollywood. Foremost that
> anyone could even begin to think this kind of logic might work.
> Secondly, the idea that it matters whether a director is an A-level or
> B-level. It's should be a question of is the director talented enough
> to do the job and then is he/she a good fit for the project. Then you
> consider is the money going to be right for the director. That they
> don't follow something like this amazes me, and makes it obvious why
> they keep remaking older movies since that's the safest path.
>

Ever see a flock of penguins poised on the edge of an ice floe, each
waiting for another one to go into the water first in case there are
leopard seals there?

Methuselah Jones

unread,
Jul 7, 2006, 1:59:08 PM7/7/06