from jms the announcement

1 view

jms...@aol.com

Jun 28, 2006, 9:48:37 AM6/28/06
It appeared on June 27th, front page of Variety. To quote the relevant
section:

"Universal Pictures and Imagine Entertainment have purchased J. Michael
Straczynski's thriller "The Changeling," which is being eyed by Ron
Howard to direct.
Project, to be produced by Brian Grazer, joins the shortlist of pics
Howard is considering as his next endeavor.

Story, billed as based on actual events, is about a mother who prays
for the return of her kidnapped son. When her prayers are answered,
however, she begins to suspect the boy who comes back is not her
child."

It is, without question, the biggest deal I've ever made, and with Ron
directing (everyone is talking about it as though he's going to do it,
though that has not been stated officially by anyone), and it moves me
from being marginally known in the film business right into the
catetory of a-list writer overnight, which parallels what happened with
Akiva Goldman. I'm thrilled that Ron is involved, because I've always
thought he had amazing story sense and he's one of the directors I most
regard in this business.

Those involved were great in the deal making, and this stands to be a
huge movie.

jms

Amy Guskin

Jun 28, 2006, 9:53:30 AM6/28/06
Many hearty congratulations! May it be a huge success and a great experience
for you no matter who ends up directing it.

Amy

Joan

Jun 28, 2006, 10:04:33 AM6/28/06

I am so pleased and thrilled for you. In my books you were on the
a-list to begin with.
Congratulations.

Joan

Jan

Jun 28, 2006, 10:09:24 AM6/28/06
In article <1151482133.7...@75g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
jms...@aol.com says...

Congratulations! Hope it's made soon and exactly the way you want.

Jan

--
We are the voice of the universe, the soul of creation,
The fire that will light the way to a better future.

Angelika Tobisch

Jun 28, 2006, 10:19:02 AM6/28/06
Jan schrieb:

> Congratulations! Hope it's made soon and exactly the way you want.

I'll just second that.

Great news!

Angelika

krueg...@hotmail.com

Jun 28, 2006, 10:24:28 AM6/28/06
Now of course we will have a million questions about it... all of which
you can't answer, I presume. :)

That is big news. Ron Howard is one of the biggest directors we've got
today. And he doesn't seem to butcher the stories he translates to
film.

What a great break!

It's about time. ;)

Ranger Elenopa

Jun 28, 2006, 11:45:33 AM6/28/06
Woohoo!!!!!

Many congrats. So when it comes out in the UK, will you be interviewed
by Jonathon Ross?

Ranger Elenopa

Matt Ion

Jun 28, 2006, 12:11:05 PM6/28/06
jms...@aol.com wrote:

> It is, without question, the biggest deal I've ever made, and with Ron
> directing (everyone is talking about it as though he's going to do it,
> though that has not been stated officially by anyone), and it moves me
> from being marginally known in the film business right into the
> catetory of a-list writer overnight, which parallels what happened with
> Akiva Goldman. I'm thrilled that Ron is involved, because I've always
> thought he had amazing story sense and he's one of the directors I most
> regard in this business.

BOO-YAH!

Chris Patterson

Jun 28, 2006, 12:18:46 PM6/28/06
jms...@aol.com wrote:

> "Universal Pictures and Imagine Entertainment have purchased J. Michael
> Straczynski's thriller "The Changeling," which is being eyed by Ron
> Howard to direct.
> Project, to be produced by Brian Grazer, joins the shortlist of pics
> Howard is considering as his next endeavor.

Wow. You weren't kidding. This is *huge*! From what little I know,
Howard and Grazer seem to treat their source material with the utmost
respect.

Just being mentioned in the same sentence will give Ron Howard's career
such a boost! ;)

Congratulations!

Will you be able to keep us informed about the process of making this
film? Seems like it would be the ultimate learning experience for
aspiring writers. Is that a new story you just completed, or has it been
sitting on your shelf for awhile? Do you know how it came to Howard's
attention?

A million questions, indeed.... :)
Chris Patterson chrispatterson.at.comcast.dot.net
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are
always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
-- Bertrand Russell

shawn

Jun 28, 2006, 1:13:23 PM6/28/06
On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 13:48:37 +0000 (UTC), jms...@aol.com wrote:

>It appeared on June 27th, front page of Variety. To quote the relevant
>section:
>
>"Universal Pictures and Imagine Entertainment have purchased J. Michael
>Straczynski's thriller "The Changeling," which is being eyed by Ron
>Howard to direct.
>Project, to be produced by Brian Grazer, joins the shortlist of pics
>Howard is considering as his next endeavor.

Congratulations on the news! I look forward to being able to see it on
the big screen one day.

Dennis (Icarus)

Jun 28, 2006, 1:42:52 PM6/28/06

<jms...@aol.com> wrote in message

Many heartfelt congratulations!
I always thought you were an a-list writer, but I realize that doesn't quite
have the same impact since I'm not in the business.
;-)

Dennis

.

Janne Mikola

Jun 28, 2006, 3:16:57 PM6/28/06
jms...@aol.com wrote:
> It is, without question, the biggest deal I've ever made, and with Ron
> directing (everyone is talking about it as though he's going to do it,
> though that has not been stated officially by anyone), and it moves me
> from being marginally known in the film business right into the
> catetory of a-list writer overnight, which parallels what happened with
> Akiva Goldman. I'm thrilled that Ron is involved, because I've always
> thought he had amazing story sense and he's one of the directors I most
> regard in this business.
>
> Those involved were great in the deal making, and this stands to be a
> huge movie.
>
> jms

You wrote and sold the story, but will you be involved anyway in the
making of the movie after this? I guess you won't, your part is now done.

Will we ever see JMS as a full-time show-runner or executive producer in
any form of motion picture or TV entertainment anymore? I know you can
write great stories but in my opinion you also have great vision of
implementing those stories on screen. And I'm pretty sure those may
sometimes (I'm not saying this has happened, only that it might happen)
differ a lot from the views of the director and producer who're making
the movie / series.

I think Ron Howard is one of the best directors who can be chosen to
make a movie written by you. He has done a great job on Cinderella Man,
A Beautiful Mind and Apollo 13... he also won a Oscar for 'Best
Directing' for Beautiful Mind. Only I'm saying that I'd like to see some
of your own visions come true just as you yourself wanted to, once more.
In any form of art there is in the world.

I know this particular case is in a scale that you never have been
before, and I want to congratulate you for your achievement.

Now we all just have to hope that movie will really be done.

--
Janne Mikola | janne....@tut.fi | 040-7726656
http://www.students.tut.fi/~mikolaj/

John Hudgens

Jun 28, 2006, 3:17:07 PM6/28/06
Congrats Joe... way back in the GEnie days you mentioned there was a
project you'd been planning to write about (after B5 was over) that
would be based on a true but unbelievable story... was that this? Just
curious...

RGesty

Jun 28, 2006, 3:17:37 PM6/28/06

Congratulations!!!!

With those names making the movie your vision should be able to go to
the screen the way YOU want it to be done. It must bring a huge amount
of satisfaction for this to happen and in my book, you have ALWAYS been
on the "A" list.

Travers Naran

Jun 28, 2006, 3:19:18 PM6/28/06
jms...@aol.com wrote:
> It appeared on June 27th, front page of Variety. To quote the relevant
> section:
>
> "Universal Pictures and Imagine Entertainment have purchased J. Michael
> Straczynski's thriller "The Changeling," which is being eyed by Ron
> Howard to direct.
> Project, to be produced by Brian Grazer, joins the shortlist of pics
> Howard is considering as his next endeavor.

So tell me... Did providing work to Ron's father help cinch the deal?
:-)

*ducks*

Craig

Jun 28, 2006, 3:19:18 PM6/28/06
On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 13:48:37 +0000 (UTC), jms...@aol.com wrote:

>It appeared on June 27th, front page of Variety. To quote the relevant
>section:
>
>"Universal Pictures and Imagine Entertainment have purchased J. Michael
>Straczynski's thriller "The Changeling," which is being eyed by Ron
>Howard to direct.
>Project, to be produced by Brian Grazer, joins the shortlist of pics
>Howard is considering as his next endeavor.

Just be sure to give us a shout out at....(will not jinx it by naming
the annual Feb. event.)

This really is hugh. Many, many congrats to you.

Craig

Brian Stinson

Jun 28, 2006, 3:19:38 PM6/28/06
Very cool! Congratulations Joe! From what little I know about the business
it sounds like you deserved something like this a long time ago.

Perhaps next Ron can have you write "The Straczynski Code". (Sorry,
couldn't pass it up).

I know this probably isn't very high on your list right now, but
hypothetically speaking, if you were to make another run at a B5 related
project, do you think it would be any easier to get it off the ground now,
since as you say, this project could elevate your status as a film writer.

Jeffrey Kaplan

Jun 28, 2006, 3:26:02 PM6/28/06
It is alleged that jms...@aol.com claimed:

> "Universal Pictures and Imagine Entertainment have purchased J. Michael
> Straczynski's thriller "The Changeling," which is being eyed by Ron
> Howard to direct.
> Project, to be produced by Brian Grazer, joins the shortlist of pics
> Howard is considering as his next endeavor.
>
> Story, billed as based on actual events, is about a mother who prays
> for the return of her kidnapped son. When her prayers are answered,
> however, she begins to suspect the boy who comes back is not her
> child."

I just saw the announcement of this on SciFi Wire, which concludes with
this sentence:

"Straczynski is a leading comic-book writer with an exclusive deal with
Marvel and several Spider-Man titles under his belt. He is perhaps best
known for his TV series Babylon 5."

> It is, without question, the biggest deal I've ever made, and with Ron
> directing (everyone is talking about it as though he's going to do it,
> though that has not been stated officially by anyone), and it moves me
> from being marginally known in the film business right into the
> catetory of a-list writer overnight, which parallels what happened with

So when do you get to move up to directing or producing your own screen
plays?

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

"To quote a Human phrase 'it gives me the screamin' willies.'" (Draal,
B5 "Voices Of Authority")

Joseph DeMartino

Jun 28, 2006, 3:50:30 PM6/28/06
jms...@aol.com wrote:
> It is, without question, the biggest deal I've ever made

Congratulations. Couldn't have happened to a more deserving guy. As
for the Akiva Goldsman comparison - it is always hard to tell when an
writer just goes off the rails with a script and when a perfectly good
piece of writing is destroyed by the studio, the director and/or the
actors. But here's hoping your future scripts are handled by honorable
and honest people, and therefore come out like the Akiva Goldsman of
"Cinderella Man", "A Beautiful Mind" and "Practical Magic" (an
underrated little charmer) and not the Akiva Goldsman of "Lost in
Space" and "Batman & Robin". <g>

Regards,

Joe

Iva

Jun 28, 2006, 4:00:19 PM6/28/06
Wow, that's great! Congratulations!

I just want to know how I'm supposed to work,d rive, or do anything from now
on until the movie actually gets produced, while still keeping all my
fingers and toes crossed?!

---
Iva

Thunder 06

Jun 28, 2006, 4:06:21 PM6/28/06
jms...@aol.com wrote:

> "Universal Pictures and Imagine Entertainment have purchased J. Michael
> Straczynski's thriller "The Changeling," which is being eyed by Ron
> Howard to direct.

Congrats! I hope it gets made and soon. (btw, if Howard can convince
that daughter of his to get in the movie, I'm all for it--she's a cutie). :)

t.k.

shawn

Jun 28, 2006, 4:30:04 PM6/28/06

Duct tape. Cross your toes and tape them together. Do the same for
your fingers. You might not be as effective as before, but it should
work. :)

John W. Kennedy

Jun 28, 2006, 4:34:30 PM6/28/06
jms...@aol.com wrote:
> It is, without question, the biggest deal I've ever made, and with Ron
> directing (everyone is talking about it as though he's going to do it,
> though that has not been stated officially by anyone), and it moves me
> from being marginally known in the film business right into the
> catetory of a-list writer overnight, which parallels what happened with
> Akiva Goldman.

There is something vaguely bizarre in the fact that someone who, as a
script writer, has already been responsible for something on the order
of $1,000,000,000 of income for the shield suddenly becoming much more
important as a script writer because someone /might/ make a movie out
of a /novel/ that he wrote.

Yeah, I know.... It's Chinatown....

Well, if you say it's a good thing, I'll take your word for it.

(Kinda wish it didn't involve Ron Howard, though. For me, it's going to
be a while before the stink of TDVC dissipates.)

Craig M. Bobchin

Jun 28, 2006, 5:31:43 PM6/28/06
Joe,

I read this on Cinescape this morning and just have to say Mazel-Tov. I
Lookforward to seeing this on the screen. Can you give any more details
on the story and your future involvement with the production when it
goes forward?

Craig

In article <1151482133.7...@75g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
jms...@aol.com says...

Jon Schild

Jun 28, 2006, 5:32:04 PM6/28/06

Brian Stinson wrote:
> Very cool! Congratulations Joe! From what little I know about the business
> it sounds like you deserved something like this a long time ago.
>
> Perhaps next Ron can have you write "The Straczynski Code". (Sorry,
> couldn't pass it up).

I thought that was the way Kosh always talked.

Wesley Struebing

Jun 28, 2006, 7:18:15 PM6/28/06
On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 13:48:37 +0000 (UTC), jms...@aol.com wrote:

A most sincere congratulations! Hoping it a) really become a motion
picture, and b) Ron Howard does direct it - and do it decently!

--

Wes Struebing

and to the republic which it established, one nation from many peoples,
promising liberty and justice for all.

Carl

Jun 28, 2006, 7:42:07 PM6/28/06

<jms...@aol.com> wrote in message
> It appeared on June 27th, front page of Variety. To quote the relevant
> section:
>
> It is, without question, the biggest deal I've ever made, and with Ron
> directing (everyone is talking about it as though he's going to do it,
> though that has not been stated officially by anyone), and it moves me
> from being marginally known in the film business right into the
> catetory of a-list writer overnight, which parallels what happened with
> Akiva Goldman. I'm thrilled that Ron is involved, because I've always
> thought he had amazing story sense and he's one of the directors I most
> regard in this business.
>
> Those involved were great in the deal making, and this stands to be a
> huge movie.

Add my congratulations along with everyone else around here.

I hope this story gets told the way you envision it and leads to many other
opportunities for you in the future. I'll look forward to all of them.

Carl

All of the books in the world contain no more information than is broadcast
as video in a single large American city in a single year. Not all bits have
equal value.
-- Carl Sagan

Kay Shapero

Jun 28, 2006, 9:31:08 PM6/28/06
> It appeared on June 27th, front page of Variety. To quote the relevant
> section:
>
> "Universal Pictures and Imagine Entertainment have purchased J. Michael
> Straczynski's thriller "The Changeling," which is being eyed by Ron
> Howard to direct.
> Project, to be produced by Brian Grazer, joins the shortlist of pics
> Howard is considering as his next endeavor.

Woo-hoo! Congratulations, and may they pay more attention to the author
than legend suggests they do.
--
Kay Shapero
http://www.kayshapero.net

Lord Whorfin

Jun 28, 2006, 9:36:30 PM6/28/06
An overnight sucess after quite a long night. Cheers!

jms...@aol.com wrote:
> ...[I]t moves me from being marginally known in the film business right into the
> catetory of a-list writer overnight...

Tom Horsley

Jun 28, 2006, 9:36:50 PM6/28/06
On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 13:48:37 +0000, jmsatb5 wrote:

> I'm thrilled that Ron is involved, because I've always
> thought he had amazing story sense and he's one of the directors I most
> regard in this business.

But will they be shooting any scenes in zero-G? :-).

Carl Dershem

Jun 28, 2006, 9:44:13 PM6/28/06
jms...@aol.com wrote in news:1151482133.783806.232840@
75g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

> It appeared on June 27th, front page of Variety. To quote the relevant
> section:
>
> "Universal Pictures and Imagine Entertainment have purchased J. Michael
> Straczynski's thriller "The Changeling," which is being eyed by Ron
> Howard to direct.
> Project, to be produced by Brian Grazer, joins the shortlist of pics
> Howard is considering as his next endeavor.
>

> Story, billed as based on actual events, is about a mother who prays
> for the return of her kidnapped son. When her prayers are answered,
> however, she begins to suspect the boy who comes back is not her
> child."
>

> It is, without question, the biggest deal I've ever made, and with Ron
> directing (everyone is talking about it as though he's going to do it,

> though that has not been stated officially by anyone), and it moves me

> from being marginally known in the film business right into the

> catetory of a-list writer overnight, which parallels what happened with

> Akiva Goldman. I'm thrilled that Ron is involved, because I've always

> thought he had amazing story sense and he's one of the directors I most
> regard in this business.
>

> Those involved were great in the deal making, and this stands to be a
> huge movie.

Very spiffy. FInally a movie I want to see!

cd
--
The difference between immorality and immortality is "T". I like Earl
Grey.

Josh Hill

Jun 28, 2006, 9:59:49 PM6/28/06
On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 13:48:37 +0000 (UTC), jms...@aol.com wrote:

>It appeared on June 27th, front page of Variety. To quote the relevant
>section:
>
>"Universal Pictures and Imagine Entertainment have purchased J. Michael
>Straczynski's thriller "The Changeling," which is being eyed by Ron
>Howard to direct.
>Project, to be produced by Brian Grazer, joins the shortlist of pics
>Howard is considering as his next endeavor.
>
>Story, billed as based on actual events, is about a mother who prays
>for the return of her kidnapped son. When her prayers are answered,
>however, she begins to suspect the boy who comes back is not her
>child."
>
>It is, without question, the biggest deal I've ever made, and with Ron
>directing (everyone is talking about it as though he's going to do it,
>though that has not been stated officially by anyone), and it moves me
>from being marginally known in the film business right into the
>catetory of a-list writer overnight, which parallels what happened with
>Akiva Goldman. I'm thrilled that Ron is involved, because I've always
>thought he had amazing story sense and he's one of the directors I most
>regard in this business.
>
>Those involved were great in the deal making, and this stands to be a
>huge movie.

Woo hoo, as they say!

(Come to think of it, does anybody /actually/ say that?)

--
Josh

"I love it when I'm around the country club, and I hear people talking about the debilitating
effects of a welfare society. At the same time, they leave their kids a lifetime and beyond
of food stamps. Instead of having a welfare officer, they have a trust officer. And instead
of food stamps, they have stocks and bonds."

- Warren Buffett

mtogg...@hotmail.com

Jun 28, 2006, 10:19:21 PM6/28/06
Great News!

JMS, I'm very happy for you indeed.

And very happy for all of us. Ever since the "Lord of the Rings"
trilogy completed, there's been no feature film that I've been really,
REALLY looking forward to. Now I have one! And of course considering
what the success of "Changeling" would mean to the chances of B5 making
to the silver screen in exactly the form you'd like it to, well ...

Huge smile !!

Martin Toggweiler

The Nuclear Marine

Jun 29, 2006, 12:36:39 AM6/29/06
jms...@aol.com wrote in news:1151482133.783806.232840@
75g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

> It appeared on June 27th, front page of Variety. To quote the relevant

> section:
>
> "Universal Pictures and Imagine Entertainment have purchased J. Michael
> Straczynski's thriller "The Changeling," which is being eyed by Ron
> Howard to direct.
> Project, to be produced by Brian Grazer, joins the shortlist of pics
> Howard is considering as his next endeavor.
>
> Story, billed as based on actual events, is about a mother who prays
> for the return of her kidnapped son. When her prayers are answered,
> however, she begins to suspect the boy who comes back is not her
> child."

Since you wrote it, is it based on actual events? Even better, is there a
reference to these events?

> It is, without question, the biggest deal I've ever made, and with Ron
> directing (everyone is talking about it as though he's going to do it,
> though that has not been stated officially by anyone), and it moves me
> from being marginally known in the film business right into the
> catetory of a-list writer overnight, which parallels what happened with
> Akiva Goldman. I'm thrilled that Ron is involved, because I've always
> thought he had amazing story sense and he's one of the directors I most
> regard in this business.

Who's Akiva Goldman?

> Those involved were great in the deal making, and this stands to be a
> huge movie.
>

> jms

Who's jms

....*IMDB Search*....*Reference jms*....*Reference Akiva Goldman*...

Oh, right, tall fellow, has a thing for cats, hates teddy bears with his
initials. Typos names like Goldsman on occasion much to his displeasure.

Congratulations, I think. When a script gets bought (which happens alot),
as you said it generally doesn't get made into a movie. Is there
residuals IF a script gets made into a movie?

Nuke

--
There comes a time in every man's life when he must die - Charles Applin

I'm kinda divided on this whole abortion issue. On one hand, I'm not
about to let no woman control nothing, especially her own body. On the
other hand, I really hate babies.

Joseph DeMartino

Jun 29, 2006, 12:43:51 AM6/29/06
The Nuclear Marine wrote:
> Who's Akiva Goldman?

Typo. Should have been Akiva GoldSman.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0326040/

Writer Filmography:

# I Am Legend (2007) (pre-production)

# The Da Vinci Code (2006) (screenplay)
# Cinderella Man (2005) (screenplay)
# I, Robot (2004) (screenplay)
# A Beautiful Mind (2001) (written by)
# Practical Magic (1998) (screenplay)
# Lost in Space (1998) (written by)
# Batman & Robin (1997) (written by)
# A Time to Kill (1996) (screenplay)
# Batman Forever (1995) (screenplay)
# Silent Fall (1994) (written by)
# The Client (1994) (screenplay)

Regards,

Joe

Hank Arnold

Jun 29, 2006, 3:56:07 AM6/29/06
Excellent!!! Ron is definitely a star maker. Plus he has excellent
taste!! :-).....

Congrats!!!!!

Regards,
Hank Arnold

jms...@aol.com wrote:
> It appeared on June 27th, front page of Variety. To quote the relevant
> section:
>
> "Universal Pictures and Imagine Entertainment have purchased J. Michael
> Straczynski's thriller "The Changeling," which is being eyed by Ron
> Howard to direct.
> Project, to be produced by Brian Grazer, joins the shortlist of pics
> Howard is considering as his next endeavor.
>
> Story, billed as based on actual events, is about a mother who prays
> for the return of her kidnapped son. When her prayers are answered,
> however, she begins to suspect the boy who comes back is not her
> child."
>

> It is, without question, the biggest deal I've ever made, and with Ron
> directing (everyone is talking about it as though he's going to do it,
> though that has not been stated officially by anyone), and it moves me
> from being marginally known in the film business right into the
> catetory of a-list writer overnight, which parallels what happened with
> Akiva Goldman. I'm thrilled that Ron is involved, because I've always
> thought he had amazing story sense and he's one of the directors I most
> regard in this business.

Roseann

Jun 29, 2006, 6:04:06 AM6/29/06
Congratulations, Joe.

I've always thought that Ron Howard is a brilliant director with a keen eye
on that side of the camera. I feel he could really do justice to your story
telling.

How very exciting this is!

--
Roseann

> [...]