JMS Usenet Posts - 10/31/2003

Dirk A. Loedding

Oct 31, 2003, 12:08:59 PM10/31/03

>Someone said that Jason Carter told a story about talking to Doug
>Netter about reprising his role as Marcus in a new B5 project that WB
>is going forward with.

I spoke to Doug about this today, and he indicated to me that this
conversation never happened. It's either a misstatement from Jason or
an inaccurate fan rumor.
jms

>On 9/27, JMS wrote:

I know I've gone to ground a bit lately, so I thought I'd pop out with
some bits and pieces for folks. (One of the reasons I've gone quiet
is that I've undergone a bunch of little surgeries, including some
dental work from hell, but the majority of that is done now so I'm
well on the mend. I won't go into the surgeries, but suffice to say
from now on I shall be known as Dorothy.

(Now let's see who actually falls for that one.)

Meanwhile, I'm in the midst of pitching new shows and picking up
projects. There's some interesting possibilities in the works, about
which more when they go from possibilities to realities.

In terms of what's coming up...ibooks/Simon and Schuster has put up
the solicitation for the first of my novels they're going to be
reprinting, starting with Demon Night. You can check out the book at

http://ibooksinc.com/catalog/htm/scifi/straczynski_j_info.htm

And for those who've been wagering on this...I've decided to keep
Buddy. The problem isn't so much that I've bonded to him, though I
have, as he's utterly imprinted on me as the guy who saved his life
and he just goes nuts when I'm gone. (It's a great scam, and he plays
his part well.) So Buddy the Miracle Cat (or Buddy TMC as he's known
to his rap friends) is here to stay.

The second season of Jeremiah will debut on Showtime on October 10th
at 10:00 p.m. (a much better time slot than 10:45) with "Letters from
the Other Side, Part One," and I commend you to this season
whole-heartedly. I think it's stronger than the previous season.
There's more of a clean through-line to the story, less in the way of
stand-alones, there are a lot of changes awaiting our characters, and
the show looks great. Of the 15 episodes this season I wrote 13, so
there's a real sense of continuity there. And this year we're joined
by Sean Astin, currently appearing in the Lord of the Rings movies.

(As stated, I've opted not to return if there's a third season, but a)
that has nothing to do with the quality of this season, which is
terrific, and b) what some people, from the postings I've seen, don't
seem to quite get is that this is more the norm than not. Lots of
people come on, create a show, get it up and running, and either leave
after the first season or the second, sometimes even just launching
the show and moving away in the first season. That's the nature of
TV. You generally do a couple of years here and a couple of years
there. There are exceptions to this of course, situations where
creators opt to stick around for the duration, but in most cases
people move on. So this ain't a big deal.)

To the many questions that have arisen here of late...yes, as I
mentioned before, there is the possibility of something Babylon 5
related on the horizon, but again I don't want anyone getting excited
until we know if either one of these two projects is going to actually
come to fruition. We should know where this lands in the next few
weeks. The only thing I will say is that they're not print projects,
so if you were to assume it's for TV or film you wouldn't be too far
off...but that neither of them are series. And that's all I'm going
to say about them for now.

On the comics front....

The next Supreme Power, issue 3, comes out in a few weeks, either the
1st or the 8th of October. There's a preview at:

http://www.popcultureshock.com/reviews.php?id=2474

The cover for SP 4 is at --

http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/preview.php?image=solicits/marvel11
2003/big/SUPREME_POWER_4.jpg

[note: URL is line-wrapped]

-- and there's a funny in-joke on the cover for issue 5 of SP, which
you can find at:

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/0309/22/supremepower5.htm

And no, I didn't know about this until I saw it on the net.

The latest Spidey, part two of the three-part arc leading to issue
500, hit the stores on Wednesday last, and the coming finale is 38
pages of story with a guest series of pencils by John Romita Sr. as
well as the inimitable JR JR.

(Having gotten a bit ahead on Spidey and well ahead on SP -- #2 just
came out and I'm about to turn in the script for #7 -- I'm in talks
with Marvel to do a new title for them, so we'll see how that turns
out.)

I *think* that's it for now...as always, I'll probably remember
something else ten seconds after sending this, but I'm pretty sure
that's all the news that's fit to print.
jms

>JMS quotes and answers:

:Did you know Amazon has a page up for 'Straczynski Unplugged'? Check
:out.. http://tinyurl.com/owa2

No, I didn't know they'd already begun taking orders on that one.

:...and if you have *any* idea what's supposed to be depicted on the
:cover, could you let us know?

I think it's my lower intestinal tract after finishing Jeremiah year 2.

: How goes the rest of your project with the feral cats?

All the kittens have found homes, and the remaining adults have all
been spayed and neutered and are living comfortably in the back yard.

:Any chance you can give us more info on definite titles and short
:blurbs for each? Should we all get physicals before this starts to
:make sure our hearts can stand it?

At this point, with the show's debut so near, best to just let the
show speak for itself. But it's pretty cool, I have to say.
jms

>JMS quotes and answers:

:Not to push for information that is really none of my business, but is
:the parting going to be, err, amicable?

No, really, be serious now, what's your question?
jms

>JMS quotes and answers, about what it's going to take to get the last
>few issues of Rising Stars published:

:Has anyone heard any updates on this? I have not seen any on JMS's
:website, but I know sometimes people here have access to information.
:Supreme Power is definitely filling a void, but we need closure on The
:Specials!

I've asked Top Cow for three things: for Dream Police back, since
they've had it now for 3 years and have done nothing with it...for
confirmation that the Joe's Comics title belongs to me, and for an
apology for deliberately keeping me out of the loop on my own project
at the feature stage and misleading me about drafts that had come in.

Once those three things have been attended to, I can finish the series.
jms

>JMS quotes and answers a viewer who was filling out a Nielsen diary
>the week Jeremiah premiered:

:Joe, I feel honored that I get to be responsible for whatever miniscule
:percentage of a share my one household represents. Hope it helps!

We'll take whatever we can get, believe me. Thanks.
jms

>Previously sent out, posted on 10/20:

Apologies for sending this twice but its short notice -- I just got
free to come to this so it isn't even up on the site yet -- and I
wanted to make sure this got through....

For those in the area, I'll be making an appearance and signing at
Midtown Comics in New York City week, with John Romita SR and others
to commemmorate the 500th issue of The Amazing Spider-Man. This is my
first appearance east of the Rockies in about five years, and my only
appearance with JR SR

For more info, you can go to the Midtown Comics site at:

http://www.midtowncomics.com/
jms

>Sorry I didn't get this out in time.

:Anyway, someone from Earth2Comics let me know that you will be at
:their shop on Sat 10/25 from 2-4pm to celebrate the release of ASM
:#500. Is that true?

Yup. I zoom back from NYC then do the Earth2 signing the next day.
jms

rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.info <*> Another fine service of ISN, Mars Bureau
submissions to: b5-...@plage.stanford.edu
comments to: b5-info...@plage.stanford.edu