The Pussification of the Star Wars Jedi

Les Jones

Dec 10, 2003, 10:16:41 PM12/10/03
(With apologies to Kim du Toit.)

It all began when Chris Range emailed me a picture of his Jango Fett
Halloween costume.

My email to Chris:

So Jango Fett was my favorite character in Episodes I and II. "I'm
just a simple many trying to make my way in the universe." Bad guy or
not, he was more noble than all of the dickless Jedi in the first two
episodes.

Chris Range replies:

He and Anakin are the only two people whose psychology makes any sense
- and of the two Jango's outlook is probably the most sane.

Anakin is a ball of nerves with an inferiority complex that leads him
to want to be a bully. Call me ignorant but a big "noble" outfit like
the Jedi order abandoning his mother in slavery at the dark end of the
universe might have had just a little bit to do with that. When his
mom dies (at the pre-planned plot point to be sure) and he goes on a
rampage and kills all the Tuskens in the camp - I'm like "OK this is
the first thing I've seen in this movie that made any fuckin sense at
all."

Of Obi-Wan, Alec Guinness once said that all he could do was say the
lines, because the character had no connection to the psychology of
any real person you'd meet on the street.

Jango accepts that there are shifting alliances and that everybody is
out for himself under the current regime. He tries to operate above
this in a way. Like C.S. Lewis says, judge him by his actions. He
takes a contract, delivers the goods and draws his check. Then he goes
home to the most spartan apartment in the known Republic. He is indeed
a simple man.

Keep reading at:
http://www.lesjones.com/posts/000340.shtml