Re: [MSNBC] Darth Vader Was Mentally Ill, in Case You're Wondering

15 views
Skip to first unread message

<p>sychotic <c>hicken

unread,
Jun 2, 2014, 4:33:06 AM6/2/14
to
In message <p8GdndEcy9TO-JPR...@giganews.com>, Ubiquitous
<web...@polaris.net> writes
>Linda Dahlstrom writes: Apparently Darth Vader’s real problem was that he
>lacked a good therapist, say French psychiatrists and psychologists who,
>instead of working with an actual patient, used their diagnostic super powers
>to divine that the Dark Lord may have had a borderline personality. If he was
>real that is.
>
>What’s more, they think he was on drugs, er, The Force, which they think maybe
>represents drugs somehow, according to an article in LiveScience.
>Additionally, they think his mental health issues were exactly why teens were
>attracted to the "Star Wars" movies -- they could relate because of their own
>borderline personality traits. Or maybe it was because of the cool special
>effects.
>
>But why put the dude formerly known as Anakin Skywalker on the psychiatrist's
>couch now, more than three decades after he first picked up a light saber?
>
>"I had watched the two prequel movies ["Attack of the Clones" and "Revenge of
>the Sith"], and it was during my residency in psychiatry while trying to
>explain borderline personality disorder to medical students that I thought of
>Anakin," French psychiatrist Eric Bui told LiveScience.
>
>Bui, a psychiatrist at Toulouse University Hospital in France, and colleagues
>describe their theory in a letter to be published in journal Psychiatric
>Research.
>
>Bui says Vader’s diagnosis will help spread awareness -- maybe more people
>will seek help if they see a little Darth Vader in themselves. (No word on
>what to do if you lean more toward the sinister stylings of Dr. Evil from
>"Austin Powers.)
>
>We here at The Body Odd posit that if psychiatrists were going to take a hard
>look at Mr. Vader, perhaps his real issue was an existential crisis because HE
>DOESN’T EXIST.
>
>As for the researchers themselves, they may want to examine each other for
>delusional disorder, a condition where people confuse fiction with reality.
>
>Did the Joker have multiple-personality disorder? Did Freddie Kruger have
>intermittent explosive disorder? Did Nosferatu have narcissistic personality
>disorder? Share what mental conditions you think afflicted your favorite
>villains.
>
>--
>"Hate Speech": Any utterance in opposition to progressive or liberal
>ideals or in support of liberty.
>

By the same token does Dr. Who have a complex of some sort and if so
then what ?



--
<p>sychotic <c>hicken


bill is man. you: are not. :|
mikeythearchangel <msta...@live.com.au>

---
This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active.
http://www.avast.com

Siri Crews

unread,
Jun 2, 2014, 5:34:59 AM6/2/14
to
In article <RQICWDBC...@btinternet.com>,
"<p>sychotic <c>hicken" <Bi...@btinternet.com> wrote:

> By the same token does Dr. Who have a complex of some sort and if so
> then what ?

Technically Star Wars had no homo sapiens, but for all practical purpose, if
they looked human, they were human body and mind. The Doctor is Gallifrean with
a known different physilogy, so no reason to assume his psychology corresponds
to anything human.

Sadly television doesn't really exploit that: either nonhumans are treated as
broken and not healed until they think as humans or they are treated as
carciactures. I would be interested in a show where ongoing character is
healthy, sane, able to communicate with humans but exhibits a blue/orange
morality to explore the human characters.

--
:-<> Siri Seal of Disavowal #000-001. Disavowed. Denied. Deleted.
'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.'
Icke's razor: Given two equally plausible explanations, choose the weirder.

<p>sychotic <c>hicken

unread,
Jun 2, 2014, 8:30:25 AM6/2/14
to
In message
<chine.bleu-106FA...@news.eternal-september.org>, Siri
Crews <chine...@yahoo.com> writes
>In article <RQICWDBC...@btinternet.com>,
> "<p>sychotic <c>hicken" <Bi...@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>> By the same token does Dr. Who have a complex of some sort and if so
>> then what ?
>
>Technically Star Wars had no homo sapiens, but for all practical purpose, if
>they looked human, they were human body and mind. The Doctor is
>Gallifrean with
>a known different physilogy, so no reason to assume his psychology corresponds
>to anything human.

Well yes but he's played by human actors so his portrayal has foibles
and nuances that are inherently human.

What I was thinking of was there is some complex that leaders and
politicians are supposed to have which means they offer help to the less
fortunate in pretty much the same way the doctor does.

However what it is called escapes me right now.

>
>Sadly television doesn't really exploit that: either nonhumans are treated as
>broken and not healed until they think as humans or they are treated as
>carciactures. I would be interested in a show where ongoing character is
>healthy, sane, able to communicate with humans but exhibits a blue/orange
>morality to explore the human characters.
>

You got me there. Whats a blue/orange morality ?

Siri Crews

unread,
Jun 2, 2014, 9:41:45 AM6/2/14
to
In article <5lAYbpBh...@btinternet.com>,
"<p>sychotic <c>hicken" <Bi...@btinternet.com> wrote:

> >Sadly television doesn't really exploit that: either nonhumans are treated as
> >broken and not healed until they think as humans or they are treated as
> >carciactures. I would be interested in a show where ongoing character is
> >healthy, sane, able to communicate with humans but exhibits a blue/orange
> >morality to explore the human characters.
> >
>
> You got me there. Whats a blue/orange morality ?

Black and white morality is our usual morality where most people agree what is
good and evil. Blue and orange morality also has its good and evil, but define
in ways that unexpected or incomprehensible to humans. Suppose someone shows up
who is mortified that we would dare talk to animals but sees nothing wrong with
eating your food.

<p>sychotic <c>hicken

unread,
Jun 2, 2014, 11:44:46 AM6/2/14
to
In message
<chine.bleu-51FE7...@news.eternal-september.org>, Siri
Crews <chine...@yahoo.com> writes
>In article <5lAYbpBh...@btinternet.com>,
> "<p>sychotic <c>hicken" <Bi...@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>> >Sadly television doesn't really exploit that: either nonhumans are
>> >treated as
>> >broken and not healed until they think as humans or they are treated as
>> >carciactures. I would be interested in a show where ongoing character is
>> >healthy, sane, able to communicate with humans but exhibits a blue/orange
>> >morality to explore the human characters.
>> >
>>
>> You got me there. Whats a blue/orange morality ?
>
>Black and white morality is our usual morality where most people agree what is
>good and evil. Blue and orange morality also has its good and evil, but define
>in ways that unexpected or incomprehensible to humans. Suppose someone
>shows up
>who is mortified that we would dare talk to animals but sees nothing
>wrong with
>eating your food.
>

Very interesting. Thanks for that.
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages