RASSM noise

1 view

Ted 3000

Jun 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/4/97

What? I can't hear you!!!! You'll have to speak up, Chucky is shouting too
loud today!!!! Did you say the oft-tropic boastings ane letting discretely
out of intel? What???

Ted...@aol.com
"Jabba, you're a wonderful human being."
Leader of "The Palpatines" (a trip-hop tecnho band appearing every saturday @ the Mos Eisley Cantina), Graphic Designer, LobotMaster!

Grand Moff Gorp

Jun 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/4/97
to Rich Handley

Rich Handley wrote:

> Gheez...
>
> The off-topic postings are getting completely out of control...
>
> I just persued the list of postings today and I've got to say that
> it's getting to a point where it's actually difficult to find threads
> discussing Star Wars anymore. Remember, a while back, when there were
> a ton of interesting, on-topic threads going on? Now all I find when
> I come to RASSM is a glut of threads about Chucky, cats, Trek,
> people's hurt feelings, etc.
>
> What happened?????

Perhaps it's that whenever someone attempts to start a thread, the only
response they get is to 'read the faq'??? I've noticed a lot of that
lately.

-Grand Moff Gorp

Rich Handley

Jun 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/5/97

Gheez...

The off-topic postings are getting completely out of control...

I just persued the list of postings today and I've got to say that
it's getting to a point where it's actually difficult to find threads
discussing Star Wars anymore. Remember, a while back, when there were
a ton of interesting, on-topic threads going on? Now all I find when
I come to RASSM is a glut of threads about Chucky, cats, Trek,
people's hurt feelings, etc.

What happened?????

Sincerely,

Rich Handley (Card...@unix.asb.com)

* Writer, WEG's The Official Star Wars Adventure Journal
* Reporter, The Oyster Bay Guardian, (Long Island, NY)
* Columnist, The Star Wars Collector ("ComicCorner")

Visit... "The Exhaustive Guide to Star Wars Comics"
at http://www.asb.com/usr/cardsafe/intro.htm

Bas-Jan Walewijk

Jun 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/5/97

Rich Handley wrote:

>Gheez...
>
>The off-topic postings are getting completely out of control...
>
>I just persued the list of postings today and I've got to say that
>it's getting to a point where it's actually difficult to find threads
>discussing Star Wars anymore. Remember, a while back, when there were
>a ton of interesting, on-topic threads going on? Now all I find when
>I come to RASSM is a glut of threads about Chucky, cats, Trek,
>people's hurt feelings, etc.
>
>What happened?????

Well, Amy got back... :-)

No, really just a few days ago the group was pretty on-topic, then it
suddenly exploded with insanity. I hadn't really noticed until I found I'd
posted twelve follow-ups in one evening, none of which had anything to do
with Star Wars. (Also, we've got half of alt.fan.furry cross-posting here
too.)

Don't worry, it'll burn itself out. It always does.

Bas-Jan

--
"Thank you for your hostility."

Gerthein Boersma

Jun 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/5/97

"...and that, Card...@unix.asb.com (Rich Handley), was the last time
they appeared in any of our scopes. Considering the amount of damage
we've sustained, they must have been destroyed. "

>Gheez...

>The off-topic postings are getting completely out of control...

>I just persued the list of postings today and I've got to say that
>it's getting to a point where it's actually difficult to find threads
>discussing Star Wars anymore. Remember, a while back, when there were
>a ton of interesting, on-topic threads going on? Now all I find when
>I come to RASSM is a glut of threads about Chucky, cats, Trek,
>people's hurt feelings, etc.

>What happened?????

The chucky case is pretty much in limbo until the 11th, when opening
statements are scheduled to start, and has been restricted to one
thread for weeks, but it is true that Chucky is mentioned a lot. But
then, that was the same with James King...

There has been an off-topic explosion lately (the latest being about
what people wear, disturbingly enough...), but there are quite a fe
interesting topical threads also. Besides, it's summer, slow-down is
to be expected.

- Gerthein (-o-)
-----------------------
gert...@worldaccess.nl
-----------------------

mdmi...@ucdavis.edu

Jun 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/5/97

In article <3395FD0B...@mail.deltanet.com>,
Grand Moff Gorp <mas...@mail.deltanet.com> wrote:

> Rich Handley wrote:

> > The off-topic postings are getting completely out of control...

Ouch. Rich, that honestly hurts a bit. :(

Really it does. (Just a bit) :(

> > I just persued the list of postings today and I've got to say that
> > it's getting to a point where it's actually difficult to find threads
> > discussing Star Wars anymore. Remember, a while back, when there were
> > a ton of interesting, on-topic threads going on? Now all I find when
> > I come to RASSM is a glut of threads about Chucky, cats, Trek,
> > people's hurt feelings, etc.
> >
> > What happened?????

I noticed that RASSM goes through cycles. Topics come and good. For me,
my newsreader is now pretty much dejanews, as my normal one is now very
slow. In RASSM, I've found that people don't wait a day or two, so
things get left out.

The reason that I've been posting on the RASSM SUMMIT, is that IMHO it is
on- topic. More importantly it is ROLEPLAYING. Newbies often feel left
out. But in a ROLEPLAYING story in which everybody can be some*thing*
from any place and the formation of alliances that we've had, newbies can
quickly find mentors and friends. I think that I can speak on the behalf
of all the RASSM SUMMIT participants in that we all would like a chance
to interact in a Star Wars styled universe with everybody. Currently
another interesting thread (maybe on- topic) is RGP Characters. I think
that by roleplaying we always learn more about ourselves and others. It
like this newsgroup is a way to communicate ... to wear a new face. It
at least enriches my SW experience.

As for other on topic threads, Arlene has been very good about generating
what I consider thought provoking SW discussion and also keep moving
things to at least cover an aspect of SW.

> Perhaps it's that whenever someone attempts to start a thread, the only
> response they get is to 'read the faq'??? I've noticed a lot of that
> lately.

I've never liked telling people to read the FAQ. And I don't think I
ever had. I honestly do try and find new posters with small threads and
get them jump started. In fact, I also avoid many LONG threads, I've
never commented on the Longest Thread. And although I'm happy Amara is
back (hi Amy), I didn't want to make new people feel left out, as it
seems FACPOV (From a Certain Point of View) that when a regular returns
or leaves that they get much more attention than when a newbie joins. We
know the regulars will come back or stay, but I think obilo's Delurk
thread is a step in the right direction (and somewhat on-topic), 'cause
he is making RASSM a place for more SW fans to join.

Michael Mierzwa (if I see an interesting thread, you have my promise that
I'll respond!) =)

Snowy

Jun 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/5/97

In article <EB9up...@nonexistent.com>, Rich Handley
<Card...@unix.asb.com> writes

>Gheez...

>The off-topic postings are getting completely out of control...
>
>I just persued the list of postings today and I've got to say that
>it's getting to a point where it's actually difficult to find threads
>discussing Star Wars anymore. Remember, a while back, when there were
>a ton of interesting, on-topic threads going on? Now all I find when
>I come to RASSM is a glut of threads about Chucky, cats, Trek,
>people's hurt feelings, etc.
>
>What happened?????

The Special Editions finished.

Snowy
"And what do you call assassins who accuse assassins anyway?"
"My friend."

RiPr

Jun 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/5/97

Grand Moff Gorp <mas...@mail.deltanet.com> wrote in article
<3395FD0B...@mail.deltanet.com>...

> Rich Handley wrote:
> >
> > Gheez...
> >
> > The off-topic postings are getting completely out of control...
> >
> > I just persued the list of postings today and I've got to say that
> > it's getting to a point where it's actually difficult to find threads
> > discussing Star Wars anymore. Remember, a while back, when there were
> > a ton of interesting, on-topic threads going on? Now all I find when
> > I come to RASSM is a glut of threads about Chucky, cats, Trek,
> > people's hurt feelings, etc.
> >
> > What happened?????
> >

> Perhaps it's that whenever someone attempts to start a thread, the only
> response they get is to 'read the faq'??? I've noticed a lot of that
> lately.
>
> -Grand Moff Gorp

There are a lot of questions that can simply be answered that way, and
usually many more will be avoided by pointing people towards the FAQ.

However I've noticed this, too. Seems we've got a bunch o folk using the
NG as some sort of little chat-room or something for some little club or
something. I for one would rather see a butt-load of 'Star Destroyer vs.
Enterprise' threads than a bunch of garbage about the so-called 'members of
the group.' There is no 'RASSM club.' Anyone's free to post and read and
flame and whatever, so long as its 1/2 ways on topic. I notice we've even
got a thread going about 'RASSM pets' or some crap.

Wise up, this ain't some little exclusive click, folks. If you want to
have a lovely little private Star Wars club where everyone's all buddy
buddy then get somebody to host a mailing list. Otherwise get on topic and
get interesting. I check the NG daily for some new prequel news and to see
if anyone might have any insightful observations into the films, not to
hear what XX had for breakfast and how cool XX is....

Bring back Star Wars.
Bring back threads like 'Is Obi-Wan the Emperor?' 'Yoda was a Jawa'
'GONK!' Post some 1/2 ways serious fan-fic, instead of silly tales with the
members of your ingroup as the characters. Hell even bring back NinjaBOB,
at least he was entertaining!!! Of course few, if any, will remember these
threads. I see also that 'classic threads' are ones posted no more than 6
months or so ago. Sad.

"Those were the daaaaays." Edith! Bring me a beer!

I'm starting to feel like the old fogey around here....

--
Christopher M. Ripp http://ripp.home.ml.org/
ripp @ bonne.net

Arlene Usui

Jun 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/6/97

"RiPr" <ro...@127.0.0.1> wrote:

<at the risk of getting her right hand removed, Arlene jumps
into the fray...>

>> Rich Handley wrote:

>> > The off-topic postings are getting completely out of control...

>> > I just persued the list of postings today and I've got to say that
>> > it's getting to a point where it's actually difficult to find threads
>> > discussing Star Wars anymore. Remember, a while back, when there were
>> > a ton of interesting, on-topic threads going on? Now all I find when
>> > I come to RASSM is a glut of threads about Chucky, cats, Trek,
>> > people's hurt feelings, etc.

>> > What happened?????

Pardon me for jumping in mid-thread, but I couldn't stand
it any longer. Before I came to RASSM, I spent my time
divided between 30 different 'alt', 'comp', and 'clari'
newsgroups. Yes, 'alt.tv.x-files' can match this ng for
sheer volume, and yes, 'comp.music.midi' sets a shining
example for on-topic posts, but RASSM has them beat
hands down. Why? Because this ng is ALIVE! I find no
joy in discussing alcohol, kit bashing, or Boba Fett, but
I know I'm going to find someone who likes the same
things about Star Wars I do. You have a living, breathing,
pulsating group of people here and you don't seem to
know it.

Have you looked at the names of the people posting to
the 'Amara is Back!" thread? I have, and I wondered
where half of these people came from. These are people
that for some reason, don't post very often, but they
are here because despite whatever 'silly' topic they choose
to express themselves on, they love Star Wars.

If you were to pick out one name from an off-topic thread
and follow that person's posts over the course of a couple
of weeks, I'm sure you would find they are equally as
capable of contributing Star Wars insights as they are of
playing the 'fool'.

I want to end by reassuring you I am not angry with you,
but by golly, I know you don't get a flower to grow by
stepping on it...

<she gets off her soapbox>

-arlene

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"To infinity and beyond!"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bobby Cox

Jun 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/6/97

Bas-Jan Walewijk <bas...@seneca.demon.nl> was warned not to underestimate
the power of the Dark Side in article
<865521148.26846...@news.demon.nl>...

> Rich Handley wrote:
>
> >Gheez...
> >

> >The off-topic postings are getting completely out of control...
> >
> >I just persued the list of postings today and I've got to say that
> >it's getting to a point where it's actually difficult to find threads
> >discussing Star Wars anymore. Remember, a while back, when there were
> >a ton of interesting, on-topic threads going on? Now all I find when
> >I come to RASSM is a glut of threads about Chucky, cats, Trek,
> >people's hurt feelings, etc.
> >
> >What happened?????
>

> Well, Amy got back... :-)
>
> No, really just a few days ago the group was pretty on-topic, then it
> suddenly exploded with insanity. I hadn't really noticed until I found
I'd
> posted twelve follow-ups in one evening, none of which had anything to do
> with Star Wars. (Also, we've got half of alt.fan.furry cross-posting here
> too.)
>
> Don't worry, it'll burn itself out. It always does.

I haven't posted on-topic since, oh, before you were born (sorry - had to
do it <g>)

--
Bobby Cox
Representative of the Tirax System

"I hope so, Commander, for your sake. The Emperor is not as forgiving as I
am."

"I'd just as soon kiss a Wookiee."
"I can arrange that. You could use a good kiss!"

Note: Reply-to address mangled to get rid of spamming mail-bots
I think you can figure out what to get rid of...

James Watson

Jun 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/6/97

Rich Handley wrote:

> Gheez...
>
> The off-topic postings are getting completely out of control...
>
> I just persued the list of postings today and I've got to say that
> it's getting to a point where it's actually difficult to find threads
> discussing Star Wars anymore. Remember, a while back, when there were
> a ton of interesting, on-topic threads going on? Now all I find when
> I come to RASSM is a glut of threads about Chucky, cats, Trek,
> people's hurt feelings, etc.
>
> What happened?????

I guess there are THREE things in life that are
inevitable :

(1) Death,

(2) Taxes,

(3) Off topic posts on RASSM!

Personally, I have to admit that the 'Look at me!'
posts are starting to get tiresome. Sometimes you would
swear RASSM is a AOL chat room...

--
wat...@iamerica.net (-o-)

Rich Handley

Jun 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/6/97

au...@ix.netcom.com (Arlene Usui) wrote:
>Pardon me for jumping in mid-thread, but I couldn't stand
>it any longer.
[SNIP]

Well, while I certainly respect your opinoin, Arlene, I don't share
it. You see, there's a reason the Usenet is divided up the way it is
-- so that people who wish to discuss a particular subject can find
others wishing to discuss the same thing.

This group, which you see as "alive," I see as "wildly off-topic."
Now, I'm not bashing the newsgroup or anyone in it by saying this --
on the contrary, I like the people here and the atmosphere that
exists. Very much, in fact.

Look, I've been known to engage in some off-topic stuff myself over
the years (the birth of my daughter, allowing James King to pull me
into a bunch of inane arguments, etc.), but by far, the vast majority
of the posts here SHOULD be about Star Wars -- that's what the group
is for.

A small percantage of off-topic stuff is to be expected, and in fact
is fine because it provides for a good dose of humor. But when I
actually have to skip thread after thread after thread in order to
find something relevant to the newsgroup topic, then it HAS gotten out
of control. I'm sorry if that offends you, but I'm not saying
anything that's untrue.

A few months back, I tried posting 5 new threads of discussion based
on SW -- but while there was some response to them, the truth is that
THEY died out fast and the off-topic threads continued. I think that
illustrates my point.

usher

Jun 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/6/97

au...@ix.netcom.com (Arlene Usui) eloquently scribbled:

>I want to end by reassuring you I am not angry with you,
>but by golly, I know you don't get a flower to grow by
>stepping on it...

At least this time no one called anyone a twat.

Boy, that was a short cycle. It usually takes two or three months between
threads like this. It hasn't been a month since the last one died.

usher
Rambling Old Jedi Engineer
Official RASSM chosen Smartass (ORSa), RASSM Comic Relief
The Stormtrooper doesn't hit his head.
[Throng Happens]

I disapprove of what you say, but I defend to the death your right to say it. - Voltaire
Use soft words and hard arguments. - English proverb
You are never too old, just more easily distracted by other things.
Women without desires aren't worth desiring.
<*> http://members.tripod.com/~Melosh/swlinks.html, leia.html, presence.html

Gerthein Boersma

Jun 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/6/97

"...and that, au...@ix.netcom.com (Arlene Usui), was the last time

they appeared in any of our scopes. Considering the amount of damage
we've sustained, they must have been destroyed. "

>Have you looked at the names of the people posting to

>the 'Amara is Back!" thread? I have, and I wondered
>where half of these people came from. These are people
>that for some reason, don't post very often, but they
>are here because despite whatever 'silly' topic they choose
>to express themselves on, they love Star Wars.

The more likely explanation being that they're alt.fan.furry regulars.
Oh, the wonders of cross-posting! ;-)

- Gerthein (-o-)
-----------------------
gert...@worldaccess.nl

"This is Odie-Wan Kenobi. He has the Force to help us."
"He hides it well."
-- Garfield

Michael Mierzwa

Jun 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/6/97

Rich Handley (Card...@unix.asb.com) wrote:
:
: A few months back, I tried posting 5 new threads of discussion based

: on SW -- but while there was some response to them, the truth is that
: THEY died out fast and the off-topic threads continued. I think that
: illustrates my point.

Rich it takes more than starting threads to keep them going. Personally I
found your question about secondary characters to be most interesting.
=)

However, I did _not_ find interest in the religous thread (no offense,
just my point of view). Thus I only answered the topics that I thought I
could discuss.

If you are wanting more on topic threads, well ... that is really why I
proposed a [NDG] -- Novel Discussion Group. For the past month we've been
organizing a _very_ orderly way to allow everyone a chance to be part of
the most on-topic and inclusive and perhaps interesting thing that I could
dream of. I sincerely hope that you (and everyone else) joins the [NDG]s.

I think it is also time that we rewrite the "New Reader FAQ", to include
invites for people to join in things like the [NDG] or even the off-topic
posts.

Back to the off-topic posting issue. I could (and have attempted) to
start threads as well. I do try and reply to these posts. That
encourages more replies ... if handled correctly. On-topic posts can't
just be started, they must also be sustained.

Michael Mierzwa
(isn't this thread 0ff-topic?)

Arlene Usui

Jun 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/6/97

Card...@unix.asb.com (Rich Handley) wrote:

>Gheez...

>The off-topic postings are getting completely out of control...

>I just persued the list of postings today and I've got to say that
>it's getting to a point where it's actually difficult to find threads
>discussing Star Wars anymore. Remember, a while back, when there were
>a ton of interesting, on-topic threads going on? Now all I find when
>I come to RASSM is a glut of threads about Chucky, cats, Trek,
>people's hurt feelings, etc.

>What happened?????

> Sincerely,

>++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> Rich Handley (Card...@unix.asb.com)

Whoo-boy! You could have added "newbie troll" to the
subject line and spared us this little 'incident'. :-)

>At least this time no one called anyone a twat.

>Boy, that was a short cycle. It usually takes two or three
>months between threads like this. It hasn't been a month
>since the last one died.

>usher

I thought I did rather well, considering the vast amounts
of steam rising from my head, as I was typing.

>The more likely explanation being that they're alt.fan.furry
>regulars. Oh, the wonders of cross-posting! ;-)

>- Gerthein (-o-)

If I ever tire of my current sig, I suppose I could switch to
"Clueless in St. Louis".

>Well, while I certainly respect your opinoin, Arlene,
>I don't share it.

> Sincerely,

>++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> Rich Handley (Card...@unix.asb.com)

[translation: "A little higher. Just a little higher!"]

>...Arlene has been very good about generating what I

>consider thought provoking SW discussion and also keep
>moving things to at least cover an aspect of SW.

>Michael Mierzwa

So I haven't made a total idiot of myself? [I can hear
you all through the Force... "yet"]

You know <flexes her fingers>, this hand is quite an
improvement...

mdb

Jun 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/6/97

au...@ix.netcom.com (Arlene Usui), au...@ix.netcom.com (Arlene
Usui)...

>If you were to pick out one name from an off-topic thread
>and follow that person's posts over the course of a couple
>of weeks, I'm sure you would find they are equally as
>capable of contributing Star Wars insights as they are of
>playing the 'fool'.

Unless you happen to pick Duggy.

mdb

Did you ever kick a guy when he's down?
Uh no, I never have, thank you.
Oh, you've missed alot in life then.

FilmJerk

Jun 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/6/97
to Grand Moff Gorp

Grand Moff Gorp wrote:

> Rich Handley wrote:
> >
> > Gheez...
> >
> > The off-topic postings are getting completely out of control...
> >
> > I just persued the list of postings today and I've got to say
> that
> > it's getting to a point where it's actually difficult to find
> threads
> > discussing Star Wars anymore. Remember, a while back, when
> there were
> > a ton of interesting, on-topic threads going on? Now all I find
> when
> > I come to RASSM is a glut of threads about Chucky, cats, Trek,
> > people's hurt feelings, etc.
> >
> > What happened?????
> >

> Perhaps it's that whenever someone attempts to start a thread, the
> only
> response they get is to 'read the faq'??? I've noticed a lot of
> that
> lately.
>
> -Grand Moff Gorp

I made a post last week about the possibility of David Fincher's
being Lucas'
2nd Unit Director on the first STAR WARS prequel before he goes on
direct parts 2 and 3...

not one response.

Not one response on some very important possibilities (not rumor,
mind you)
about a topic that I thought was the most important topic concerning
STAR WARS.
I guess the other crap is want the people want right now.

--
Edward Havens

"By US Code Title 47, Sec.227(a)(2)(B), a computer/modem/printer
meets the
definition of a telephone fax machine. By Sec.227(b)(1)(C), it is
unlawful to send any unsolicited advertisement to such equipment.
By
Sec.227(b)(3)(C), a violation of the aforementioned Section is
punishable
by action to recover actual monetary loss, or $500, whichever is
greater,
for each violation.

Wayne Poe

Jun 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/6/97

On 6 Jun 1997, Michael Mierzwa wrote:

> Back to the off-topic posting issue. I could (and have attempted) to
> start threads as well. I do try and reply to these posts. That
> encourages more replies ... if handled correctly. On-topic posts can't
> just be started, they must also be sustained.

I've tried to start threads also. But what I've found is that the ones
that perpetuate the off topic threads torpedo these out of hand. One of my
last attempts was "WAS that Boba Fett?" where I put a pretty good
arguement across that maybe it wasn't. I didn't get one serious answer!
Just crap like "Maybe it was Elvis! Har har har!"

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
WAYNE POE "God kills indiscriminately...
Writer, Filmmaker, and so shall we."
Makeup fx artist,
Cartoonist --Lestat de Lioncourt
lo...@h4h.com
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Rich Handley

Jun 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/7/97

au...@ix.netcom.com (Arlene Usui) wrote:
>Whoo-boy! You could have added "newbie troll" to the
>subject line and spared us this little 'incident'. :-)

LOL!!! Man, that's got to be the first time in two years that anyone
here has called me a "newbie troll" -- how ironic! :)

>I thought I did rather well, considering the vast amounts
>of steam rising from my head, as I was typing.

To be honest, Arlene, if my posting actually angered you, then (1) I
apologize for saying something that offended you (and that goes for
anyone else who might've been offended), and (2) I'm a bit confused
why, since I don't see what I wrote as something that would actually
make people have "vast amounts of steam" rising from their heads. I
thought it was rather benign and polite, actually. I've seen people
say much worse things here in the two years I've been posting on
RASSM, and my post was simply an attempt to gear the newsgroup back
on-topic, nothing that should be seen as offensive.

>>Well, while I certainly respect your opinoin, Arlene,
>>I don't share it.

>[translation: "A little higher. Just a little higher!"]

Hmmm? I'm sorry, I'm not following that one...

>So I haven't made a total idiot of myself? [I can hear
>you all through the Force... "yet"]

No, not at all -- like I said, I respect your opinion.... I just hope
the reverse it true.

Sincerely,

Rich Handley (Card...@unix.asb.com)

* Writer, WEG's The Official Star Wars Adventure Journal

JavaJawa/Ember/Talaranth

Jun 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/7/97

A long time ago, in a newsgroup far, far away, Gerthein Boersma posted off-topic:

: There has been an off-topic explosion lately (the latest being about

: what people wear, disturbingly enough...), but there are quite a fe
: interesting topical threads also. Besides, it's summer, slow-down is
: to be expected.

In my experience, there's no such thing as slow-down.
i'm getting *little curly equals sign for around-about-approximately* 200
posts a day, up from 50.

: - Gerthein (-o-)

--JavaJawa
"Large leak... very dangerous."
And with exams coming up... a thyme is a terrible thing to waist.
May the FORKS be with you!
JavaJawa =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
The one... the only... the JAWA WITH A FORK!

JavaJawa/Ember/Talaranth

Jun 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/7/97

A long time ago, in a newsgroup far, far away, Bobby Cox posted off-topic:

: I haven't posted on-topic since, oh, before you were born (sorry - had to
: do it <g>)
OK, survey, how many people consider mangled SW quotes on-topic? I do,
but I'm insane.

: Bobby Cox

--JavaJawa
"Survey thread... very dangerous."

JavaJawa/Ember/Talaranth

Jun 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/7/97

A long time ago, in a newsgroup far, far away, mdmi...@ucdavis.edu posted off-topic:

: Michael Mierzwa (if I see an interesting thread, you have my promise that
: I'll respond!) =)

Yes... although there have been a glut of off-topic threads (many of
which I contributed to), people are certainly making a real effort to
start more interesting on-topic discussions as well. If you don't like
the off-topic threads, kill-file [OFF TOPIC], EWOR, [RASSM SUMMIT]
[CHUCKY CASE] and the Back threads. Then you'll get almost no news at
all! *EG* (er, you'll get only interesting stuff, realllly)

Anyway, as I was saying, er, about to say, I think RASSM is also about
the more "silly" SW related stuff... mangling quotes, and just exchanging
gossip that, while not directly SW related, only another SW fan would
understand.

But this is an off-topic thread, and as such does not deserve a
3-paragraph response (I'm getting GOOD at those!) so I will go now.
-- --JavaJawa
"On topic... very dangerous."

JavaJawa/Ember/Talaranth

Jun 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/7/97

A long time ago, in a newsgroup far, far away, usher posted off-topic:

: Boy, that was a short cycle. It usually takes two or three months between

: threads like this. It hasn't been a month since the last one died.

The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but a whiney farm boy.
Now I am the master of off-topic posts.
Sorry. Corny and weird, but I had to do it.

: usher

--

--JavaJawa
"Large leak... very dangerous."

JavaJawa of RASSM Ember ste...@netcom.com STAR WARS! .___________.
i~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~i~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~i x X x i
| HYPER JAWA! | Beware the evil anti-gravity marmot! | \ / |
| Collector of WAVs | You don't know the Power ||\_ / \ _/||
|Local RASSM annoyance| of the Jawa side! | \J A W A/ |
|food war ||| survivor|ajawawithanevilgrinandaforkouttogetyou| ~-___-~ |
`~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~'~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~! REBELLION !
"Luke, you will find that many of the truths we cling to `~~~~~~~~~~~'
depend greatly on our own point of view." -- Obi-Wan Kenobi, ROTJ

JavaJawa/Ember/Talaranth

Jun 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/7/97

A long time ago, in a newsgroup far, far away, Rich Handley posted off-topic:

: To be honest, Arlene, if my posting actually angered you, then (1) I
Hey, it angered me too... several times, for that matter. But I'm not a
flamer person, and the last thing I want is a one-way flame war.

: why, since I don't see what I wrote as something that would actually

: make people have "vast amounts of steam" rising from their heads. I

Well, you're basically saying that
(1) You like the people here,
but
(2) You think we're all tw&+s,
and
(3) You wish we'd shut the hell up.

You supported this with
(1) The number of off-topic posts by RASSM regulars,
(2) The number of off-topic posts,
and
(3) The small number of on-topic posts.

You went on to say that
(1) There should be no such thing as a "RASSM regular",
(2) You liked the environment and wanted it to continue,
but
(3) You wanted us to all shut the hell up.

When you evaluate your desires, you'll see that they are
(1) Mutually exclusive.
(2) Likely to anger the targets, in particular, the RASSM regulars who
do most of the posting whether on or off topic,
and
(3) you say you like the environment we create but disagree with the
idea that we should have created it in the first place.

In conclusion,
(1) Perhaps you should move to alt.fan.starwars;
(2) You'll never be able to escape us since some of us post there too;
and
(3) Regulars are inevitable, since there are three types of people: The
kind who come to a newsgroup, don't really love what they see, and move on;
The kind who come to a newsgroup, love what they see, and stay forever;
and trolls. Anyone who stays becomes a regular. *Emperor voice* It is
inevitable! */Emp voice*

: on-topic, nothing that should be seen as offensive.
It was the way you said it, IMHO.

: Rich Handley (Card...@unix.asb.com)
Rich, is it me, or do you somehow unwittingly attract the *most* flames?

:)
(This was not a flame. This was an attempt to say what I thought. I would
have been just as happy *not* posting it, since it helped me organize my
own thoughts.

And people, if this turns into a flame war... >:) )

usmc...@msn.com

Jun 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/7/97

In article <3397C9C5...@eartlink.net>,
Film...@earthlink.net wrote:

> I made a post last week about the possibility of David Fincher's
> being Lucas'
> 2nd Unit Director on the first STAR WARS prequel before he goes on
> to direct parts 2 and 3...

> not one response.

> Not one response on some very important possibilities (not rumor,
> mind you)
> about a topic that I thought was the most important topic concerning
> STAR WARS.
> I guess the other crap is want the people want right now.
>

> Edward Havens

Well, I'll post my response in public (your warning kinda has me
worried). ;)

Although I can only address my own reason for not replying, it is likely
that there are others like myself, who are really looking forward to a
surprise. I'm not terribly interested in either rumours or the TRUTH
about who is going to work on or act in the Prequels. OK, I'll admit
that I am interested in who is *not* going to be in the Prequels, but in
order to avoid SPOILERS, I stick out of most all Prequel threads.

Please don't think of no responses as no interest in SW. But please
think of no responses for myself has being "this person doesn't like to
read the end of the book first". ;)

After 1999, you can beat that I'll be here and that I'll be discussing my
opinions on young Obi-wan, etc.

Michael Mierzwa (posted from an alternate account)

usmc...@msn.com

Jun 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/7/97

In article <5n9iec$d...@dfw-ixnews8.ix.netcom.com>,
au...@ix.netcom.com (Arlene Usui) wrote:

> >...Arlene has been very good about generating what I
> >consider thought provoking SW discussion and also keep
> >moving things to at least cover an aspect of SW.
>
> >Michael Mierzwa
>

> So I haven't made a total idiot of myself? [I can hear
> you all through the Force... "yet"]

Nope not yet. But there still is hope. =)

> You know <flexes her fingers>, this hand is quite an
> improvement...

Now this is the interesting thing, I was about to reply to your other
post that in SW, the loss of one's hand ... is sort of a ... well ...
distinguished thing to do.

Now to the second issue: Again, PLEASE STOP SCANNING ME. I'll report you
to the Psi Corp if you don't end this nasty habit. ;)

Michael Mierzwa of course any hard core B5 fan *should* now be asking
his/herself, "I thought only other telepaths could sense a scan ...." ;)

Gerthein Boersma

Jun 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/7/97

We've been through all this before, but.. well... here we go again!

I, for one, agree with Rich. I have nothing against Sith Wars, Chucky
Cases, Soap-opera's or RASSM Summits, even though I don't participate
in half of them. They are just a bit of interesting roleplaying, and,
to boot, most of them are at least remotely topical. It is this type
of thread that makes RASSM the place it is. Better yet, newbies have
been known to drop in in all of them.

There are, however, much more off-topic threads of an entirely
different caliber. Drinking habits, what clothes do we wear, RASSM
pets.. these are but few of many examples from the past weeks alone
that I can mention. And these threads are without exception dominated
(sometimes they even seem exclusive to) RASSM regulars.

While I can understand that one may want to 'get to know' the other
RASSM regulars, it is undeniable that what seems to be a majority of
these regulars find it infinatly more interesting to talk about
themselves than to talk about Star Wars. There are exceptions: John
Wooten has always been a strong on-topic advocate. And James Watson
and Ted Ehlers, while they joke around, surely keep most of their
messages linked to Star Wars in some way or another. There are quite a
few others I could mention in this little list, but it is a sad fact
that some of the most respected regulars do not make it by a longshot.
The result is as obvious as it is irritating: the noise-to-signal
ratio on RASSM is nothing short of terrible.

The mere fact that a large group of people is actually quite proud of
the fact that they hardly ever post on-topic is proof positive of
Rich's point (and mine). And I suppose it's the ultimate irony that
Rich "Da Man" Handley, possibly the most respected RASSMer of all
time, has been flamed numerous times in this thread alone by what
could be seen as the "new breed of regulars", for simply pointing out
the lameness of the current noise-to-signal-ratio. The ultimate irony,
as well as a case-in-point.

The incredible Duggy had that question in his 'True RASSMer quiz'
where you got more points the less you posted on topic, which was no
doubt found hilarious by many, but, much like the MTV audiences that
cheer the likes of Beavis & Butt-Head on, I don't think they really
got the joke, I don't think they fully grasped its sarcasm.

James Trory's behaviour may be bordering on the sad at this point, but
he isn't the only one wondering why no-one talks about Star Wars here
anymore. Apart from the newbies, of course, but then, who cares about
*them* anyway?

Bas-Jan Walewijk

Jun 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/7/97

JavaJawa/Ember/Talaranth wrote:

>In my experience, there's no such thing as slow-down.
>i'm getting *little curly equals sign for around-about-approximately* 200
>posts a day, up from 50.

Unless you have a really huge killfile, you should have been getting around
*400* posts a day, up from 250-300. Complain!

Arlene Usui

Jun 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/7/97

ste...@netcom.com (JavaJawa/Ember/Talaranth) wrote:

>A long time ago, in a newsgroup far, far away, Rich Handley posted off-topic:

>: To be honest, Arlene, if my posting actually angered you, then (1) I
>Hey, it angered me too... several times, for that matter. But I'm not a
>flamer person, and the last thing I want is a one-way flame war.

>: why, since I don't see what I wrote as something that would actually
>: make people have "vast amounts of steam" rising from their heads. I
>Well, you're basically saying that
> (1) You like the people here,
> but
> (2) You think we're all tw&+s,
> and
> (3) You wish we'd shut the hell up.

LOL!

>You supported this with
> (1) The number of off-topic posts by RASSM regulars,
> (2) The number of off-topic posts,
> and
> (3) The small number of on-topic posts.

>You went on to say that
> (1) There should be no such thing as a "RASSM regular",
> (2) You liked the environment and wanted it to continue,
> but
> (3) You wanted us to all shut the hell up.

Oh, JavaJawa, this has got to be a candidate for archival
as a classic [ri]post[e]!

There's an idea for the summer, a mock flame war, called
Handley's Flame War I... ;-)

>--JavaJawa
>"Large leak... very dangerous."

> JavaJawa of RASSM Ember ste...@netcom.com STAR WARS! .___________.
>i~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~i~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~i x X x i
>| HYPER JAWA! | Beware the evil anti-gravity marmot! | \ / |
>| Collector of WAVs | You don't know the Power ||\_ / \ _/||
>|Local RASSM annoyance| of the Jawa side! | \J A W A/ |
>|food war ||| survivor|ajawawithanevilgrinandaforkouttogetyou| ~-___-~ |
>`~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~'~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~! REBELLION !
> "Luke, you will find that many of the truths we cling to `~~~~~~~~~~~'
> depend greatly on our own point of view." -- Obi-Wan Kenobi, ROTJ

JavaJawa, I salute you! [the sound of a 21 fork salute]

Arlene Usui

Jun 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/7/97

Card...@unix.asb.com (Rich Handley) wrote:

>au...@ix.netcom.com (Arlene Usui) wrote:
>>Whoo-boy! You could have added "newbie troll" to the
>>subject line and spared us this little 'incident'. :-)

>LOL!!! Man, that's got to be the first time in two years that anyone
>here has called me a "newbie troll" -- how ironic! :)

>>I thought I did rather well, considering the vast amounts
>>of steam rising from my head, as I was typing.

>To be honest, Arlene, if my posting actually angered you, then (1) I

>apologize for saying something that offended you (and that goes for
>anyone else who might've been offended), and (2) I'm a bit confused

>why, since I don't see what I wrote as something that would actually
>make people have "vast amounts of steam" rising from their heads. I

>thought it was rather benign and polite, actually. I've seen people
>say much worse things here in the two years I've been posting on
>RASSM, and my post was simply an attempt to gear the newsgroup back

>on-topic, nothing that should be seen as offensive.

No, I wasn't offended by your post. If I've learned nothing
else by lurking in RASSM, I know you're level-headed in
your love of all things Star Wars and I know all the
"regulars" respect what you have to say. I really got
"steamed" halfway through RiPr's response to you, I just
didn't include any of his post in my own response.

I guess I was in my "Luke saves the world" mode when I
wrote because I really enjoy being here and I felt like the
people who post here regularly were under unfair attack.

>>>Well, while I certainly respect your opinoin, Arlene,
>>>I don't share it.

>>[translation: "A little higher. Just a little higher!"]

>Hmmm? I'm sorry, I'm not following that one...

It's from ROTJ, during the rescue scene at the Sarlacc's
pit. Han is trying to shoot one of the Sarlacc's tentacles
with a blaster and Lando, knowing Han's eyesight isn't
100%, tries to guide Han's aim. I pictured you saying,
"Well, while I certainly respect your opinion, Arlene, I
don't share it," while you had one eye squinched, looking
down the sights of a blaster. A little joke on my part, no
animosity intended or received... ;-)

>>So I haven't made a total idiot of myself? [I can hear
>>you all through the Force... "yet"]

>No, not at all -- like I said, I respect your opinion.... I just hope
>the reverse it true.

There are some threads I venture to read, not because
of an enticing subject line, but because I see the name(s)
of someone whose opinion I respect. Need I say more?
:-)

> Sincerely,

>++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> Rich Handley (Card...@unix.asb.com)

Arlene Usui

Jun 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/7/97

ste...@netcom.com (JavaJawa/Ember/Talaranth) wrote:

>A long time ago, in a newsgroup far, far away, mdmi...@ucdavis.edu posted off-topic:

>: Michael Mierzwa (if I see an interesting thread, you have my promise that
>: I'll respond!) =)

>Yes... although there have been a glut of off-topic threads (many of
>which I contributed to), people are certainly making a real effort to
>start more interesting on-topic discussions as well. If you don't like
>the off-topic threads, kill-file [OFF TOPIC], EWOR, [RASSM SUMMIT]
>[CHUCKY CASE] and the Back threads. Then you'll get almost no news at
>all! *EG* (er, you'll get only interesting stuff, realllly)

If Rich is dismayed by on-topic threads that go astray,
perhaps he'll take comfort in knowing many off-topic
threads actually turn back around to being on-topic, if not
always in actual subject, at least in terms of manner. [see
JavaJawa's comment below]

>Anyway, as I was saying, er, about to say, I think RASSM is also about
>the more "silly" SW related stuff... mangling quotes, and just exchanging
>gossip that, while not directly SW related, only another SW fan would
>understand.

>But this is an off-topic thread, and as such does not deserve a
>3-paragraph response (I'm getting GOOD at those!) so I will go now.
> -- --JavaJawa
>"On topic... very dangerous."

Lando: "Would you get going, you pirate! And good luck."

Arlene Usui

Jun 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/7/97

Card...@unix.asb.com (Rich Handley) wrote:

>au...@ix.netcom.com (Arlene Usui) wrote:

<escorted through the giant trees of Endor's moon>

>No, not at all -- like I said, I respect your opinion.... I just hope
>the reverse it true.

> Sincerely,

>++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> Rich Handley (Card...@unix.asb.com)

"Rich, do you understand what they're saying? Arlene asked.

"I think so, newbie," the golden Handley replied. "I believe
they think I am some sort of god."

JavaJawa scoffed. "Well, why don't you use your divine
influence to get us out of this?"

Rich shook his head. "it's against my programming to
impersonate a deity."

A few moments later, Rich-eepio found himself being carried
through the forest like a king. His friends were being
carried, too -- on long poles to which the alt.fan.furries had
tied them -- as the furry creatures bore them to a village in
the trees.

As the golden RASSMer was set on a throne, a familiar
figure emerged from one of the alt.fan.furry huts. "Rich!"
Amara cried happily.

Her relief lasted only as long as it took for the alt.fan.furries
to begin piling firewood beneath Rich's comrades. Rich-eepio
tried to stop them, but the small warriors ignored his request.

"Rich-eepio," Amara said calmly, "tell them if they don't
do as you wish you'll become angry and use your magic."
Rich-eepio did as he was told, but again the alt.fan.furries
refused. Amara closed her eyes and called on the Force.
Before the eyes of the startled alt.fan.furries, Rich-eepio
rose into the air, throne and all, and began to fly about just
over their heads. Amara did not release her hold until the
short creatures began to free their prisoners. Amara
smiled. "Thanks, Rich-eepio."

Rich-eepio sighed. "I never knew I had it in me."

That evening. the alt.fan.furries and RASSMers were
treated to the story of the Rebellion as told by Rich-eepio,
complete with all the sound effects he could create. The
RASSMers listened, entranced by the courage of the
Rebel heroes. They were so inspired that, as the story
ended, they offered the Rich-eepio their help.

Bas-Jan Walewijk

Jun 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/7/97

JavaJawa/Ember/Talaranth wrote:

>Rich Handley posted off-topic:
>: To be honest, Arlene, if my posting actually angered you, then

(some snip)

>Well, you're basically saying that
> (1) You like the people here,
> but
> (2) You think we're all tw&+s,
> and
> (3) You wish we'd shut the hell up.

I think that's putting it a bit too strong. Rich was complaining about
posts, not people. He likes the people, he even likes some off-topic, he
just minds *too much* off-topic. (I don't.)

(snip)

>When you evaluate your desires, you'll see that they are
> (1) Mutually exclusive.

Possibly, yes. Perhaps instead of having this discussion every two months,
we should simply accept that - between the proper discussions - it is innate
to any group of people minded like us that things turn out the way they
have. (And I honestly sometimes get the impression that *some* of those who
complain about off-topic would rather see an empty newsgroup than an
off-topic one. But that brings the whole debate back to one about mere
"reading ease", and y'all know how I think about *that* little non-issue.)

> (2) Likely to anger the targets, in particular, the RASSM regulars who
>do most of the posting whether on or off topic,
> and
> (3) you say you like the environment we create but disagree with the
>idea that we should have created it in the first place.

I wouldn't put it that way, but you have a point: off-topic seems to be the
"price" you have to pay for having a consistent and fun "environment" in
which good on-topic can live and breathe. Discourse does not fare well by
*any* kind of censorship, even if it's *self*-censorship. (NOTE: I am not
accusing anyone of trying to censor anyone else. Let's not go down that
road.)

>In conclusion,
> (1) Perhaps you should move to alt.fan.starwars;

*Very* bad suggestion. Rich is the arch-RASSMer. No offense, but this *may*
be taken a bit offensively.

> (3) Regulars are inevitable, since there are three types of people: The
>kind who come to a newsgroup, don't really love what they see, and move
on;
>The kind who come to a newsgroup, love what they see, and stay forever;
>and trolls. Anyone who stays becomes a regular. *Emperor voice* It is
>inevitable! */Emp voice*

True. And I thought we had the whole thing out during "RASSM Twats". Then it
was about elitism, and I accepted some people had a point there. Now that
the elitist ORCP tags have been removed and we're supposedly more
newbie-friendly, people start complaining about off-topic newbies! Sheesh.
:-)

Bear with me: I'm really in two minds about all of this. I don't like to see
people bash Rich, even though I disagreed with his original post - at least
with his conclusions. Of course no-one is going to suddenly fall silent all
red-faced because of a reminder that it's off-topic. They know that damn
well, and they know they're not the only ones. Plus, they were enjoying
themselves.

After what happened the last time, and in the light of some of the
sentiments expressed now, I'm positively convinced that posts telling people
what to post and what not are just terribly counterproductive. They stir up
more off-topic and a fair bit of resentment. If anyone really thinks it's
that important to change the type of discussions going on at any time (a
fruitless and doomed effort, I think - conversations simply have their own
dynamics), then:

Act towards it, don't post about it.

I think Rich's old strategy of launching new threads (both last month and at
a time when half the newsgroup was discussing James King) was a great
effort. Of course, he was a bit disappointed by how soon they died out, but
that was to be expected. When there's something to discuss, a discussion
will appear by itself. When there's not, forcing it hardly ever works. It's
like that textbook cliche: "Discuss!" (Okay, but then I *am* your resident
discussion anarchist, so pay no attention...)

Closing on a more positive note (at least for Rich, Gerthein, John Wooten,
mdb and some other on-topic advocates :-)), I think off-topic posts have
dropped by about 70% to their pre-explosion levels.

Paula

Jun 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/7/97

> OK, survey, how many people consider mangled SW quotes on-topic? I do,
> but I'm insane.

I think *anything* that remotely resembles something from SW is concidered
on-topic, especially mangled quotes. Mangled quotes and quotes to answer a
post have been my favoite part of being a member of this group. That is
what the MISC. is all about. I think James Trory forgot that when he
closed his Web page.

--
Paula
*******

> : Bobby Cox
>
> --JavaJawa
> "Survey thread... very dangerous."

Jedi Al

Jun 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/7/97

In article <865697847.13429....@news.demon.co.uk>,
che...@trory.demon.co.uk (James Trory) writes:

> All I'm saying to RASSM is - make an effort. It's no good
>agreeing with Rich and nodding your head, because it solves nothing.
>Do something about it! Put the second "S" back in RASSM...

Here's is how I see it.

I think we have talked the hell out of Star Wars. Ever since the Special
Editions came out, there were hundreds of posts from people comparing
opinions on the changes or non-changes made to the movies.

Now, the hype is over. The Star Wars orgy has ended, and we can all
finally sit back, take a deep breath, and get to know each other. I see
nothing wrong with wanting to know more about the people who frequent the
newsgroup. Many of the things we learn and share about each other are too
interesting to limit to email. How can anyone expect to have a group of
friends that the ONLY thing you EVER talk about is Star Wars? Try finding
friends like that in real life, and you will find yourself alone.

Personally, I never take part in threads like the Sith Wars, or that
infamous CHUCKY trial. I don't think I have a particularly great
imagination or a knack for writing.

Just because those threads don't interest me, doesn't mean I expect every
posting or every thread to cater to me personally. I see these off-topic
threads as a way for RASSMites to get a chance to know each other a little
better through the sharing of humor. Hey, whatever works. If I were a
little more creative, maybe those threads WOULD appeal to me.

It's going to be what, two years before the next movie comes out? That's
a long time to pass. Shall we use that time to discuss topics that we've
covered long ago, or should we spend some time getting to know each other,
so that we can come up with new topics based on what we learn from
ourselves? Look at the length of threads such as RASSM'ers AGES,
RASSM'ers PROFILES, etc. It's just people getting acquainted, newbies
included. The threads will eventually slow back down and we'll be back to
discussing whether or not Fett is dead or if the stormtrooper actually hit
his head on the door.

*** JEDI AL ***

Official RASSM Cool Person
http://members.aol.com/JEDIAL/

"Warriors, warriors we call ourselves. We fight for splendid virtue, for high endeavor, for sublime wisdom, therefore we call ourselves warriors..."

mdb

Jun 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/7/97

I heard it rumored that Card...@unix.asb.com (Rich Handley) has been
cast as GONK in the Star Wars Prequels. _[ : )]=:

>au...@ix.netcom.com (Arlene Usui) wrote:

>>>Well, while I certainly respect your opinoin, Arlene,
>>>I don't share it.
>>[translation: "A little higher. Just a little higher!"]
>
>Hmmm? I'm sorry, I'm not following that one...

She's saying you're blind, Rich! She's say you got your arse so far
up your butt you can't see!

(maybe I shouldn't have added that last line... :)

Eric Mohler

Jun 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/7/97

FilmJerk <Film...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> I made a post last week about the possibility of David Fincher's
>being Lucas'
>2nd Unit Director on the first STAR WARS prequel before he goes on
>direct parts 2 and 3...
>
>not one response.
>
>Not one response on some very important possibilities (not rumor,
>mind you)
>about a topic that I thought was the most important topic concerning
>STAR WARS.
>I guess the other crap is want the people want right now.
>
>--

>Edward Havens

Actually, that news came out quite a long time ago, maybe sixth months.
Harry Knowles refuted it about 1-2 months ago, but I am still inclined to
believe it. So that might be one explanation for a lack of response.

You are right though, that it is a very important topic. Second unit
work can be vital getting many scenes right, and I think this shows in
the Lost World where David Koepp (also the screenplay writer) directed
the second unit, and produced, IMHO, mostly lackluster shots.

David Fincher is a very brilliant guy, and if Lucas truly wants the
prequels to be darker, he has picked the right man. Fincher made Alien3
darker than Alien or Aliens, and that is a considerable feat! He also
set up a decrepid city in Seven that will serve well in showing the decay of
the old Republic.

There is an interesting rumor that Darabondt left the prequel team
because he did not like Fincher's dark worlds. I find this strange,
since the world Darabondt created in the Shawshank redemption isn't the
brightest place. If anything, Darabondt probably took issue with the
ending of Seven, which doesn't have the levity of the ending of the
Shawshank Redemption.

If anything, though, I would have to say the prequel trilogy will end
more like Seven, though, because we know were ANH starts.

There was an interesting thread a while ago where people speculated how
Episode III could still end on an up note even with Anakin's fall. Maybe
the successful hiding of Luke and Leia will be it.

If Fincher is really going to be involved in the prequel trilogy as a
director, I can't see him making an uplifting ending at all. Perhaps if
Episode II is to end like ESB, Fincher would be a good choice for those
directing chores.

Regardless, I'll be very pleased to know that Fincher is onboard, because
he is not a visionless "Yes-Man," and Lucas needs somebody with vision to
disagree with him from time to time. Disagreement between Lucas and
Kershner produced the best SW film, IMHO.

Eric

* Eric G. Mohler "I used to live here, you know." *
* Dept. of Psychology "You're gonna die here, you know. Convenient." *
* (Biological Area) - Han to Luke, ROTJ *
* Duke University Home of the the RASSM prequel FAQ: *
* http://www.duke.edu/~egm/prequel.html *

K. Howe

Jun 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/7/97

On Sat, 7 Jun 1997, JavaJawa/Ember/Talaranth wrote:

> A long time ago, in a newsgroup far, far away, Bobby Cox posted off-topic:
>
> : I haven't posted on-topic since, oh, before you were born (sorry - had to
> : do it <g>)

> OK, survey, how many people consider mangled SW quotes on-topic? I do,
> but I'm insane.

i think they are, too. sometimes i see them as a way for someone to
drag an off topic thread back to star wars

> : Bobby Cox
>
> --JavaJawa
> "Survey thread... very dangerous."

K.
i seemed to have survived so far!!

<new title needed here>

"May the Force be with you. Always."
--Obi Wan

______ <----- place rassm pin here

witness for the prosecution in the first rassm trial
catching up with javajawa for most posts off topic
partial participant of SITH WAR III

K. Howe

Jun 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/7/97

(replying w/o javajawas answer to rich)

i just want to say that i wasn't angered by rich's original post, though i
post off topic a LOT. i was however, upset by what james posted (2 weeks
ago?) about how we were all off topic and that he 'didn't want to play
with us anymore' (paraphrasing). it was all in how either one of them
said it. james pissed me off (don't get me started about what i think of
him now!), but rich made me feel *slightly* guilty. but if i only posted
on topic, i'd be pretty bored. this is a great newsgroup. sometimes off
topic posts go too far. but eventually, they end (even if new ones takes
its place). we all love star wars (except the occasional st troll); we
will talk about star wars. don't hate us if we want to talk to others who
love star wars, just because we aren't on topic 100% of the time.

K.

usmc...@msn.com

Jun 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/7/97

Wayne Poe <lo...@h4h.com> wrote:
> On 6 Jun 1997, Michael Mierzwa wrote:
>
> > On-topic posts can't
> > just be started, they must also be sustained.
>
> I've tried to start threads also. But what I've found is that the ones
> that perpetuate the off topic threads torpedo these out of hand. One of my
> last attempts was "WAS that Boba Fett?" where I put a pretty good
> arguement across that maybe it wasn't. I didn't get one serious answer!
> Just crap like "Maybe it was Elvis! Har har har!"

That can be a problem. So to give you an idea of the things that usually
generate around 15 or more replies:

Droid Issues,
Yoda and Nature of the Force,
Common quotes,
Ship questions (which lead to vs. threads often enough),
Anakin questions (evil vs. good),
Parents of the Twins (Luke and Leia, not the book ones),
Religon,
Cannon questions, and
Novel questions (sometimes).

These all have great potential to stay focused on SW. Now there are many
more, and I of course don't find them all interesting, but if you're
looking for a response to a thread. Ask a question. Ask it again like
two days later in case it was missed. And then answer it if it still
isn't getting a response.

It is very difficult to say what will pull in many replies and what will
not. But if you approach everything from a causual viewpoint, eventually
you'll find somebody is also is looking to express or share their ideas.

Michael Mierzwa
(Yoda and Droids are the lures that hook my attention if I ever see them)

Rich Handley

Jun 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/8/97

Well, Java, I've got to say -- you've defiitely mis-interpreted what I
said in several ways. However, I'm not looking for a fight, and so I
won't let this become one. Instead, I'll just answer this in a civil,
respectful manner. For the record, though, I think you read a lot
into my message that simply wasn't there.

ste...@netcom.com (JavaJawa/Ember/Talaranth) wrote:
>Well, you're basically saying that
> (1) You like the people here,
> but
> (2) You think we're all tw&+s,
> and
> (3) You wish we'd shut the hell up.

Sorry, but this is COMPLETELY untrue. I've NEVER said you're all
tw&ts, and you know it. No offense, but if that's what you think my
opinion of this group is, then it's obvious you haven't been posting
here that long. I also never told ANYONE to "shut the hell up."
That's a complete mis-interpretation of what I said. Please don't
distort my words to make me look so malicious. I would never say
anything like that to this group.

>You went on to say that
> (1) There should be no such thing as a "RASSM regular",
> (2) You liked the environment and wanted it to continue,
> but
> (3) You wanted us to all shut the hell up.

Nope, never said #1 or #3. I AM a "Rassm regular" -- have been for
two years -- so there's no reason why I would have a problem with it.
All I said was that the "Rassm Cool Person" (a joke that I started
over a year ago, mind you) was intimidating newbies and shouldn't be
used in such a way. I NEVER said there shouldn't be regulars (which
would make no sense whatsoever, since all newsgroups have regulars --
otherwise, they'd dry up), nor did I ever tell anyone to shut up.

>When you evaluate your desires, you'll see that they are
> (1) Mutually exclusive.

> (2) Likely to anger the targets, in particular, the RASSM regulars who
>do most of the posting whether on or off topic,
> and
> (3) you say you like the environment we create but disagree with the
>idea that we should have created it in the first place.

Well, first of all, I hardly see that wishing to read SW-related
discussions on a SW newsgroup is "mutually exclusive." However, for
the record, I want to clear up one fact -- I am not calling for
moderation or censorship, and I am not telling people what to post or
not post. Not at all -- I firmly believe in free speech. However, I
DO have a right to express something that is frustrating me, and that
is all that I did. I would not and did not tell others to stop
posting off-topic postings. If they still wish to, I can't stop 'em,
nor would I try to.

Second of all, I had no "targets," to use your term, since my posting
was not an attack, but rather an expression of frustration that the
newsgroup isn't as on-topic lately as it has been for the past two
years. Many people have expressed similar frustrations, particularly
the very regulars you think I'm targeting -- most of whom know me well
from RASSM and understand that I'm not attacking them in the
slightest. As for #3, I never said the environment here shouldn't
have been created, either.

>In conclusion,
> (1) Perhaps you should move to alt.fan.starwars;

> (2) You'll never be able to escape us since some of us post there too;
> and

> (3) Regulars are inevitable, since there are three types of people: The

>kind who come to a newsgroup, don't really love what they see, and move on;

>The kind who come to a newsgroup, love what they see, and stay forever;
>and trolls. Anyone who stays becomes a regular. *Emperor voice* It is
>inevitable! */Emp voice*

Okay, no offense, but here you've gone completely kooky in your
answer. I have NO desire to "escape" anyone on RASSM, and if that's
how you've interpreted my note, then that's unfortunate. I have no
need to move to another newsgroup, because I've been a regular here
for a long time and I like it here. And I'll say, once again, that I
never spoke out about there being regulars -- and, quite frankly, I'm
not sure why you think I did. I AM one of the regulars here, and
happy to be one, so I just don't follow you.

>Rich, is it me, or do you somehow unwittingly attract the *most* flames?

Aside from that whole James King incident last year (when almost
everyone here sided WITH me, not AGAINST me), I've not been involved
in any flame wars. Just the opposite, in fact -- I'm someone who's
always made an effort to welcome newbies, answer their questions,
provide "inside" information I'm privy to, and be a generally friendly
fellow. Are you, perhaps, mistaking me for someone else? I'm
honestly confused on this one.

>This was not a flame.

Well, it did a pretty good imitation of one, then. :)

>This was an attempt to say what I thought.

Okay, I can respect that. And my response is an attempt to say what I
think of what you said. Just please keep in mind, in the future, that
you shouldn't mis-represent someone's words the way you
mis-represented mine. I've not said ANY of the things you're
attributing to me above, nor have I even hinted at them. Arlene, in
fact, even knew this -- she even said was kidding in her response to
me.

I'll say no more on this subject, though, because this is just as
off-topic as all the Chucky / cat / Trek / Tewor / RASSM Summit / etc.
stuff.

Sincerely,

Rich Handley (Card...@unix.asb.com)

* Writer, WEG's The Official Star Wars Adventure Journal

Rich Handley

Jun 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/8/97

va...@mindspring.com (mdb) wrote:
>She's saying you're blind, Rich! She's say you got your arse so far
>up your butt you can't see!
>(maybe I shouldn't have added that last line... :)

[Rich pulls out blaster, takes aim at mdb, and pulls trigger
effortlessly .... <<bzzzzt>> .... does someone smell steak?]

Rich Handley

Jun 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/8/97

ROTFL! Thanks for the laugh, Arlene! :)

Sincerely,
Rich-eepio

mdb

Jun 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/8/97

I heard it rumored that Card...@unix.asb.com (Rich Handley) has been
cast as GONK in the Star Wars Prequels. _[ : )]=:

>va...@mindspring.com (mdb) wrote:

>>She's saying you're blind, Rich! She's say you got your arse so far
>>up your butt you can't see!
>>(maybe I shouldn't have added that last line... :)
>
>[Rich pulls out blaster, takes aim at mdb, and pulls trigger
>effortlessly .... <<bzzzzt>> .... does someone smell steak?]

Handley, my boy, there are times when you disappoint me. Why did you
have to fry my poor steak like that... after all we've been through
together.

Speaking of which, doesn't it see kind of odd that Jabba would say the
original line? What happened to Jabba in the years between ANH and
RotJ that made him so angry, cruel, and fat? I mean, I know he
doesn't really care about Greedo, but his whole demeanor in that scene
is *so* different from his RotJ appearance. Are there any Tales of
Jabba for the period of the trilogy?

(Desperately trying to pull this on-topic :)

usmc...@msn.com

Jun 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/8/97

Card...@unix.asb.com (Rich Handley) wrote:

> I'll say no more on this subject, though, because this is just as
> off-topic as all the Chucky / cat / Trek / Tewor / RASSM Summit / etc.
> stuff.

Well, I'll forgive you if you do.

First I want to address the issue of the RASSM SUMMIT and if it is or is
not on topic. Personally, I find it to be much more on topic than this
entire tread. In fact, this noise thread has generated more discussion
and used more bandwith than a weeks worth of RASSM SUMMIT threads (just a
guess of course).

Why do I think the RASSM SUMMIT is more or less on topic? Well, we all
know many RASSM readers are writers in some form or another. In fact,
some of us shared our characters from our games or stories. Where do
this characters come from? Us of course.

Whenever I read a novel, view a movie, or watch a play, I like to figure
out the dynamics of the situation. The RASSM SUMMIT is exactly that. It
started out different, but what most people might not know, is that the
participants have actually taken much of the fictional politiciting to
e-mail. I and others are working to make this into a sort of story. The
only differences are, it evolves in response to our actions and no *1*
person can flip to the last page of the book and spoil this story.

It is set in the SW universe, which means, by interacting in this
universe, we (the participants) grow that much more familiar with the SW
universe.

Lucas himself has said that there is room in the SW universe for other
people's stories. This one might not be easy to understand at first, nor
to some people's likings, but FACPOV it is _very_ on-topic.

If you don't see that yet, all I can suggest is to actually participate
in it for a while and then make a judgement. If after some short time,
it seems like junk, well I'll quite talking about it this way. Afterall,
we really have no logical choice but to respect everybody else's opinions
as much as our own. ;)

Michael Mierzwa

Arlene Usui

Jun 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/8/97

Wayne Poe <lo...@h4h.com> wrote:

<given the grand tour of Graceland>

>I've tried to start threads also. But what I've found is that
>the ones that perpetuate the off topic threads torpedo these
>out of hand. One of my last attempts was "WAS that Boba
>Fett?" where I put a pretty good arguement across that
>maybe it wasn't. I didn't get one serious answer! Just crap
>like "Maybe it was Elvis! Har har har!"

> WAYNE POE

Even though I've been here for only a month, I've tried my
hand at posting new articles too. I'd guess over half got no
response, although I optimistically hope other people did
take the time to read them, it just wasn't their cup of tea.

I've gotten a fair number of silly responses, similar to your
"Elvis" experience, and though it hurt to read them, I tried
to cheerfully ignore them.

In several instances, I'm happy to say, I did get positive
and who took the time to write thoughtful replies. I specifically
remember a thread about "cute Luke". I answered and perhaps
that would have been the end, along with three other replies.
But Davin Felth took my response and started a new offshoot
of her own, added something enticing to the header, and
that thread took off like the Millennium Falcon (on a good
day). I learned a lot from seeing how she did that.

I've also read threads where someone down the line comments
on the person starting the thread, saying "I said the same
thing a month ago and got no response," yet now, the same
idea from someone different gets many responses.

I guess we have to be like actors at auditions. We steel
ourselves for some rejection, but if we really believe in
what we have to contribute, we keep plugging away until
we succeed.

Arlene Usui

Jun 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/8/97

usmc...@msn.com wrote:

<cauterized>

>Now to the second issue: Again, PLEASE STOP SCANNING
>ME. I'll report you to the Psi Corp if you don't end this nasty
>habit. ;)

>Michael Mierzwa of course any hard core B5 fan *should*
>now be asking his/herself, "I thought only other telepaths
>could sense a scan ...." ;)

It's been quite a while since I watched a B5 episode (sorry,
Michael), so I'm out of the loop. What's been happening to
Chekh... , I mean Walter Koenig's character? Is he still
alive or has he been killed off?

And Dune, do you like Dune? If you could be *only one*
character in either the SW, ST, B5, Dune, or Foundation
world, who wou l d y o u b e......

[Shutting down positronic matrix, as requested]

Arlene Usui

Jun 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/8/97

Wayne Poe <lo...@h4h.com> wrote:

> WAYNE POE

-arlene

Bas-Jan Walewijk

Jun 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/8/97

Gerthein Boersma wrote:

(snip)

>The mere fact that a large group of people is actually quite proud of
>the fact that they hardly ever post on-topic is proof positive of
>Rich's point (and mine). And I suppose it's the ultimate irony that
>Rich "Da Man" Handley, possibly the most respected RASSMer of all
>time, has been flamed numerous times in this thread alone by what
>could be seen as the "new breed of regulars", for simply pointing out
>the lameness of the current noise-to-signal-ratio. The ultimate irony,
>as well as a case-in-point.

Playing the ultimate relativist, I still fail to see why on- or off-topic
should correspond to good and bad posts. And I honestly rather read good
off-topic than poor on-topic. Sorry, but the "Hey, it's a lousy, dull post
wrote, but at least it's SW, so I'm doing better than *you* people!"
attitude doesn't work for me.

This is not a newspaper, or magazine, where the number of pages is limited.
Imagine going to a congress on your subject matter of choice. Take a SF
convention - in one corner, a heated (but fun) debate starts about people's
pets. After this has gone on for some time, another conventioneer taps
these
people on the shoulder and tells them to talk about "Sci-Fi, because that's
why we're here, right? And would you otherwise please step outside until
you're done?"

I can understand the person doing this, but I can also understand how it
might irk some people (though it didn't particularly annoy me).

>The incredible Duggy had that question in his 'True RASSMer quiz'
>where you got more points the less you posted on topic, which was no
>doubt found hilarious by many, but, much like the MTV audiences that
>cheer the likes of Beavis & Butt-Head on, I don't think they really
>got the joke, I don't think they fully grasped its sarcasm.

Oh, I don't think it was sarcastic. I took it to be a wry look at reality,
something else: "This is the insane state to which we've descended, don't
you just love it?" (Dug...?)

Bas-Jan Walewijk

Jun 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/8/97

Arlene Usui wrote:

>Even though I've been here for only a month, I've tried my
>hand at posting new articles too. I'd guess over half got no
>response, although I optimistically hope other people did
>take the time to read them, it just wasn't their cup of tea.

I remember your first post, and it *did* catch my attention, and I think
most other people's too.

>I've gotten a fair number of silly responses, similar to your
>"Elvis" experience, and though it hurt to read them, I tried
>to cheerfully ignore them.

Tell me about it. I suppose quite a few of my favorite posts which weren't
one-liners were completely ignored. But just because people don't type
"ROTFL!" all the time doesn't mean a post wasn't liked. Personally, I tend
to reply when I *disagree*, or have a question. If a post is non-humor,
clear and I agree with it, I usually have nothing to add. If it's really
good, I copy it to my saved items folder. Also: don't measure the success
of
a post by the length of a thread it generates! I made the terrible mistake
of putting my own name in a thread last year and that thread turned into
another long JWK battle - it went on... and on... and on... Some great
threads have come from rather lame beginnings, and some great posts have
been barely followed-up.

"Elvis" responses aren't negative responses. They're non-responses, so
don't
take them personally.

Rich Handley

Jun 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/8/97

va...@mindspring.com (mdb) wrote:
>I heard it rumored that Card...@unix.asb.com (Rich Handley) has been
>cast as GONK in the Star Wars Prequels. _[ : )]=:

Yes, it's true. Gonk, Gonk, Gonk! (Just practicing my lines.) Hey,
you ought to see my impersonation of a big black box with accordian
feet!

>Handley, my boy, there are times when you disappoint me. Why did you
>have to fry my poor steak like that... after all we've been through
>together.

You're a wonderful human being, mdb. :) (Great job of pulling this
back on-topic, by the way!)

>Speaking of which, doesn't it see kind of odd that Jabba would say the
>original line? What happened to Jabba in the years between ANH and
>RotJ that made him so angry, cruel, and fat? I mean, I know he
>doesn't really care about Greedo, but his whole demeanor in that scene
>is *so* different from his RotJ appearance. Are there any Tales of
>Jabba for the period of the trilogy?

An excellent question. Personally, I've always seen it this way --
Jabba, like many gangsters of our own world, started off a lean, mean,
dealing machine who was motivated by honor, greed, and a certain Code
he followed. At the time of ANH, he was probably still in that phase
of his career in crime, and his actions and words at the time were
those of someone still in the building stage of an empire, when
resources such as bounty hunters, smugglers, and other hired help were
limited. However, years of criminal activity, a very quick rise to
power, and an unhealthy love for food and drugs made him into the
ruthless, bloated, half-crazed jerk we meet in ROTJ.

James Trory

Jun 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/8/97

And I thought "K. Howe" <kmh...@u.washington.edu> smelt bad.... on the
outside!!!!

>(replying w/o javajawas answer to rich)
>
>i just want to say that i wasn't angered by rich's original post, though i
>post off topic a LOT. i was however, upset by what james posted (2 weeks
>ago?) about how we were all off topic and that he 'didn't want to play
>with us anymore' (paraphrasing). it was all in how either one of them
>said it. james pissed me off (don't get me started about what i think of
>him now!), but rich made me feel *slightly* guilty. but if i only posted
>on topic, i'd be pretty bored. this is a great newsgroup. sometimes off
>topic posts go too far. but eventually, they end (even if new ones takes
>its place). we all love star wars (except the occasional st troll); we
>will talk about star wars. don't hate us if we want to talk to others who
>love star wars, just because we aren't on topic 100% of the time.

James who? Me?

Well if you want to post off-topic all the time, then that's fine, but
please bear in mind that there is another "S" in the NG title, and
that is supposed to tell people why we all post here in the first
place.

I'm not saying post on-topic ALL the time, because it WOULD get
boring, but just make an effort to post on-topic sometimes.

ilililil James
(- oooooo -)
(----------------) Groucho Marx quote of the week:
(______) "There's a man outside with a big black moustache."
|| "Tell him I've got one."
|| -- Duck Soup, 1933
|| The Official RASSM Homepage
|| http://www.trory.demon.co.uk/rassm/index.htm
( )
() Heaven and Hell - The Script Page
http://www.trory.demon.co.uk/heaven&hell/main.htm

Sean Hubbell

Jun 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/8/97

mdb <va...@mindspring.com> wrote in article
<339b2b8a...@news.mindspring.com>...

> Speaking of which, doesn't it see kind of odd that Jabba would say the
> original line? What happened to Jabba in the years between ANH and
> RotJ that made him so angry, cruel, and fat? I mean, I know he
> doesn't really care about Greedo, but his whole demeanor in that scene
> is *so* different from his RotJ appearance. Are there any Tales of
> Jabba for the period of the trilogy?
>

> (Desperately trying to pull this on-topic :)

Yeah, Jabba sounds a lot different, but I'd figure that one of the things
might be that Jabba gains a lot more power by ROTJ...in ANH, maybe he's
just a smaller crimelord and needs to be somewhat diplomatic with Han...but
by ROTJ, he's not only incredibly ticked about all the money Han owes him,
but also he's just got the money and power to do whatever he wants with
people...

Also, in ANH, Jabba's with Han outside, in public. In ROTJ, they're inside
Jabba's palace... He might have his hands in legitimate business and want
to keep up some sort of image in public, while in his throne room, he just
doesn't care.

- Sean

<This space for rent.>

FilmJerk

Jun 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/8/97
to Bas-Jan Walewijk

Bas-Jan Walewijk wrote:

> Gerthein Boersma wrote:
>
> (snip)
>
> >The mere fact that a large group of people is actually quite
> proud of
> >the fact that they hardly ever post on-topic is proof positive of
>
> >Rich's point (and mine). And I suppose it's the ultimate irony
> that
> >Rich "Da Man" Handley, possibly the most respected RASSMer of all
>
> >time, has been flamed numerous times in this thread alone by what
>
> >could be seen as the "new breed of regulars", for simply pointing
> out
> >the lameness of the current noise-to-signal-ratio. The ultimate
> irony,
> >as well as a case-in-point.
>
> Playing the ultimate relativist, I still fail to see why on- or
> off-topic
> should correspond to good and bad posts. And I honestly rather
> read good
> off-topic than poor on-topic. Sorry, but the "Hey, it's a lousy,
> dull post
> I wrote, but at least it's SW, so I'm doing better than *you*
> people!"
> attitude doesn't work for me.

Playing the Devil's advocate, RASSM used to be my first stop when
Isigned on, bypassing my email and the dozen or so other newsgroups
I subscribe to... until about January or so. It had little to do
with the
then-upcoming SE's, but more the sense of community. I watched the
rise of Harry from a little geek in a big pond to a big geek getting

coverage in Entertainment Weekly. I argued with (but always stayed
civil with) Gerthein about whether or not the scenes on the "Making
of the Special Edition" CD-ROM were the end-all be-all of what the
final product would be like. I became James King's second biggest
thorn in his side.

But now, I am shocked if I can find five posts out of 300+ per day
that I would even be willing to look at. Frankly, I'd rather walk
into
a Rancor pit with a Mynock tied around my neck than read posts
around here. It's as if the posts are now more of a "can you top
THIS" than relevant discussion, which was (the last time I checked)
the reason why most of us showed up here in the first place.

But then that's just me.

--
Edward Havens

"By US Code Title 47, Sec.227(a)(2)(B), a computer/modem/printer
meets the
definition of a telephone fax machine. By Sec.227(b)(1)(C), it is
unlawful to send any unsolicited advertisement to such equipment.
By
Sec.227(b)(3)(C), a violation of the aforementioned Section is
punishable
by action to recover actual monetary loss, or $500, whichever is
greater,
for each violation."

Grand Admiral Callas

Jun 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/9/97

Sean Hubbell <ne...@lis.ab.ca> wrote in article
<01bc73f4$9c495f80$e759a1c6@neko-s-cpu>...

My thought on the matter is that at the time of ANH, Jabba was still didn't
want to lose the buisness Han had brought him. By the time ROTJ comes
along, Jabba has probably gotten older, crankier, and indulged in a lot of
illegal substances. That is why he was fatter in ROTJ. He just got a whole
lot more lazier, and probably a big-time drug addict. Also, Han would make
an excellent example of the power he now wields, because of Han's
involvement in the rebellion. Having a hero of the rebellion hung on your
wall is a great show-off to anybody who does buisnes with Jabba, and a good
motivator to people not to screw with him.
--
Grand Admiral Callas
Founder of the RASSM Alliance

Arlene Usui

Jun 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/9/97

jetta...@aol.com (Anthony Siino) wrote:

>(Rich Handley) wrote:

>> The off-topic postings are getting completely out of control...

<led away by Bobby Brown>

>Good question. I've been lurking here for about 3 years
>but often feel just fed up with the quantity of the junk
>posts here and give up for a few months until I need a
>SW fix.

>Even though I've set kill file filters for all the chucky crap,
>chucky trial crap, SW vs. ST stuff, all the For sale or trade
>stuff (189 killed threads today) I still find this group hard to
>wade through.

The moment I saw your name I said to myself, "Who's that,
I've never seen that name before." Then when I started
reading, I said "Lurking for THREE years?!" :-)

Let's say I agree with you, there are too many off-topic
postings. Let's also say I believe you to be a dedicated SW
fan to hang around for three years and that you must have
SW insight and knowledge to share with us. Let's say (in
a very friendly tone) that for you to sit silently and not jump
in and contribute would be our loss. So instead of letting us
get away with inappropriate behavior, I invite you to post
your own on-topic thoughts, maybe once a week, just for
starters.

Are you game?

Bas-Jan Walewijk

Jun 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/9/97

FilmJerk wrote:

>Playing the Devil's advocate, RASSM used to be my first stop when

>I signed on, bypassing my email and the dozen or so other newsgroups

>I subscribe to... until about January or so. It had little to do
>with the
>then-upcoming SE's, but more the sense of community. I watched the
>rise of Harry from a little geek in a big pond to a big geek getting
>coverage in Entertainment Weekly. I argued with (but always stayed
>civil with) Gerthein about whether or not the scenes on the "Making
>of the Special Edition" CD-ROM were the end-all be-all of what the
>final product would be like. I became James King's second biggest
>thorn in his side.
>
>But now, I am shocked if I can find five posts out of 300+ per day
>that I would even be willing to look at. Frankly, I'd rather walk
>into
>a Rancor pit with a Mynock tied around my neck than read posts
>around here. It's as if the posts are now more of a "can you top
>THIS" than relevant discussion, which was (the last time I checked)
>the reason why most of us showed up here in the first place.
>
>But then that's just me.

Well, there *is* relevant discussion going on. Five out of 300+? Come on,
I'd say perhaps a third of all posts here are somehow actual discussion.
Perhaps you don't find the posts as interesting, since a large part of these
posts would be newbie questions, or prequel rumors too silly to discuss, or
just not to your taste.

You do have a point about things being different, but that's rather obvious
to me, since *everything* is different. This is the post-SE era, with SW
hype on the decrease and prequel news barely exceeding rumors (and the
movies themselves about two years in the future). And the "buzz" of people
rediscovering Star Wars in the buildup to the SEs is more or less gone.
Anyone who was going to rediscover SW has done so.

I am hopeful, though, that things will change.

Bas-Jan Walewijk

Jun 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/9/97

Gerthein Boersma

Jun 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/9/97

"No, Card...@unix.asb.com (Rich Handley), they're alive. I want every
ship available to sweep the asteroid field until they are found."

I propose a toast: to mdb! :)

>>Speaking of which, doesn't it see kind of odd that Jabba would say the
>>original line? What happened to Jabba in the years between ANH and
>>RotJ that made him so angry, cruel, and fat? I mean, I know he
>>doesn't really care about Greedo, but his whole demeanor in that scene
>>is *so* different from his RotJ appearance. Are there any Tales of
>>Jabba for the period of the trilogy?

>An excellent question. Personally, I've always seen it this way --

>Jabba, like many gangsters of our own world, started off a lean, mean,
>dealing machine who was motivated by honor, greed, and a certain Code
>he followed. At the time of ANH, he was probably still in that phase
>of his career in crime, and his actions and words at the time were
>those of someone still in the building stage of an empire, when
>resources such as bounty hunters, smugglers, and other hired help were
>limited. However, years of criminal activity, a very quick rise to
>power, and an unhealthy love for food and drugs made him into the
>ruthless, bloated, half-crazed jerk we meet in ROTJ.

Jabba is undeniably a bit different in ANH:SE. I also agree with the
"Jabba has grown more powerful and thus now sees Han as expendable
rather than useful" angle, but since that's been mentioned a few
times, here's an alternative.

I found that new scene to have a Godfather-esque quality to it: Han &
Jabba are dealing, but we, the audience, know Jabba wouldn't think
twice about killing Han (sure, he's a good smuggler, so Jabba cuts him
plenty of slack, but he's powerful enough to wipe him out if he
wants). In The Godfather, Vito Corleone (Micheal in the sequels) is
often seen in similar scenes with people he has executed only a few
scenes later.

Just my $0.02.
- Gerthein (-o-)
-----------------------
gert...@worldaccess.nl
-----------------------

Gerthein Boersma

Jun 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/9/97

"No, "Bas-Jan Walewijk" <bas...@seneca.demon.nl>, they're alive. I

want every ship available to sweep the asteroid field until they are
found."

>Playing the ultimate relativist, I still fail to see why on- or off-topic

>should correspond to good and bad posts. And I honestly rather read good
>off-topic than poor on-topic. Sorry, but the "Hey, it's a lousy, dull post
>wrote, but at least it's SW, so I'm doing better than *you* people!"
>attitude doesn't work for me.

I've already addressed this point in a previous post, but to re-cap: I
agree that "Off-topic: bad, on-topic: good" is absolute nonsense. I
just think it's questionable if the pet etc. discussions are "good
off-topic". And so it's at least *safer* to go on-topic, since that'll
probably be more interesting (esp. since I have the utmost confidence
that most regulars that seem to be posting exclusively off-topic would
be able to create on-topic postings that are beyond 'Luke is gay' or
even 'How come Coruscant is celebrating already?' ).

I'm not against off-topic (as I've said we really only have 6 hours of
SW to discuss, plus a few frills... that's not enough to last all
those months), and I like discussing, say, the X-Files or 5th element
here. I *am* then annoyed by those who say "Hey, this isn't Star
Wars!", because I'd much rather discuss these things with Rimrunner,
Duggy etc., or, more generally speaking, Star Wars fans, than go to an
X-files newsgroup just to discuss "Jose Chung" for a bit. So as far as
that's concerned, I do very much understand where you're coming from.

But recently, people just seem interested in talking about themselves.
That simply does not particularly interest me.

I've also noticed what Ed has noticed, that people seem highly
interested in topping each other off by replying and adding a witty
remark. I must admit to being guilty of this myself, but Ed has a
point. I can truthfully say that apart from Duggy's remarks, few of
these type of posts make me LOL anymore... it's gotten old.

After all, didn't we all tell James King that his posts were
uninteresting *and* off-topic? That kind of proves that "off-topic" is
viewed to be at least in one way worse than equally uninteresting
on-topic (unless is was just an excuse to make him stop).

>This is not a newspaper, or magazine, where the number of pages is limited.
>Imagine going to a congress on your subject matter of choice. Take a SF
>convention - in one corner, a heated (but fun) debate starts about people's
>pets. After this has gone on for some time, another conventioneer taps
>these
>people on the shoulder and tells them to talk about "Sci-Fi, because that's
>why we're here, right? And would you otherwise please step outside until
>you're done?"

>I can understand the person doing this, but I can also understand how it
>might irk some people (though it didn't particularly annoy me).

No, in this case, I *wouldn't* understand the person doing this, and
it would be majorly annoying. But first off, as I've already said, I
do think that some people posting off-topic don't only decrease the
signal-to-noise ratio, but they in fact don't increase it (and scare
off topical newbies -- but I don't want to get into that again) while
they otherwise might.

And besides, one might argue that in this analogy, half the convention
is talking about pets, rather than just a corner, and that would be a
bad thing. But I don't see it that way. Personally, if I must use the
analogy I'd say that the convention is in fact usenet, and the corner
is RASSM. See how that could be seen as annoying to some?

>>The incredible Duggy had that question in his 'True RASSMer quiz'
>>where you got more points the less you posted on topic, which was no
>>doubt found hilarious by many, but, much like the MTV audiences that
>>cheer the likes of Beavis & Butt-Head on, I don't think they really
>>got the joke, I don't think they fully grasped its sarcasm.

>Oh, I don't think it was sarcastic. I took it to be a wry look at reality,
>something else: "This is the insane state to which we've descended, don't
>you just love it?" (Dug...?)

Well, it was kind of late, and I couldn't think of anything better
than sarcastic. Perhaps ironic would've been more applicable.
Regardless of what he meant, though, there is an irony in it that, in
my opinion, isn't as positive as 'don't you all just love it?'.

- Gerthein (-o-)
-----------------------
gert...@worldaccess.nl

"This is Odie-Wan Kenobi. He has the Force to help us."
"He hides it well."
-- Garfield

usher

Jun 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/9/97

Wayne Poe <lo...@h4h.com> eloquently scribbled:

> One of my last attempts was "WAS that Boba Fett?" where I put a pretty good
>arguement across that maybe it wasn't. I didn't get one serious answer!

I must have missed that one. I don't recall it.

usher
Rambling Old Jedi Engineer
Official RASSM chosen Smartass (ORSa), RASSM Comic Relief
The Stormtrooper doesn't hit his head.
[Throng Happens]

I disapprove of what you say, but I defend to the death your right to say it. - Voltaire
Use soft words and hard arguments. - English proverb
You are never too old, just more easily distracted by other things.
Women without desires aren't worth desiring.
<*> http://members.tripod.com/~Melosh/swlinks.html, leia.html, presence.html

usher

Jun 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/9/97

FilmJerk <Film...@eartlink.net> eloquently scribbled:

> I made a post last week about the possibility of David Fincher's being Lucas'
>2nd Unit Director on the first STAR WARS prequel before he goes on to direct
>parts 2 and 3...
>not one response.

I've never heard of the guy and so was not influenced in either way.

>I guess the other crap is want the people want right now.

Maybe it would help if you included info about the subject that would help
entice people to respond. If we know something about the subject, we're more
likely to talk about it.

I did read it but had no clue and not much interest. I rarely research stuff I
find on RASSM.

usher

Jun 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/9/97

"Bas-Jan Walewijk" <bas...@seneca.demon.nl> eloquently scribbled:

>Unless you have a really huge killfile, you should have been getting around
>*400* posts a day, up from 250-300. Complain!

Hmmm. I've only been getting ~200-250 on a good day. Since my server went over
33000 ng's, it's been getting spotty. There are many posts lately that only
show up as a quote in someone else's post. Only about half of Gerthein's posts
seem to get through. Mondak's original b-day announcement still isn't here.

I just do the best I can with what I've got.

Of course this weekend doubled the average for the previous four weekends.

usher

Jun 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/9/97

usmc...@msn.com eloquently scribbled:

>Michael Mierzwa of course any hard core B5 fan *should* now be asking
>his/herself, "I thought only other telepaths could sense a scan ...." ;)

Just don't psych out and mess up a sector of the station.

usher

Jun 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/9/97

gert...@worldaccess.nl (Gerthein Boersma) eloquently scribbled:

>We've been through all this before, but.. well... here we go again!

>There are, however, much more off-topic threads of an entirely
>different caliber. Drinking habits, what clothes do we wear, RASSM
>pets.. these are but few of many examples from the past weeks alone
>that I can mention.

Well, the pets one is not dominated by RASSM reg's and these threads have just
popped up in the last week. Strangely enough just after Amara returned and
pulled some "people" from AFF over here.

>And these threads are without exception dominated
>(sometimes they even seem exclusive to) RASSM regulars.

You seem to forget that most of the threads in this ng are dominated by RASSM
reg's.

>While I can understand that one may want to 'get to know' the other
>RASSM regulars, it is undeniable that what seems to be a majority of
>these regulars find it infinatly more interesting to talk about
>themselves than to talk about Star Wars.

I sure hope you don't count myself in that group as I am more than willing to
talk about SW if I see a subject that is new or I am not all talked out about.

>There are quite a few others I could mention in this little list, but it is a
>sad fact that some of the most respected regulars do not make it by a longshot.

How about we just hand out a host of mirrors and we all, you too Gerthein, take
a good long look at ourselves. I'm sure that you'll find that almost all of the
reg's post off-topic at least part of the time.

>The mere fact that a large group of people is actually quite proud of
>the fact that they hardly ever post on-topic is proof positive of
>Rich's point (and mine).

I, for one, am not one of these. I do post off-topic, I'll admit that. I do it
often, I'll admit that, too. I do not, however, hold it up as a standard.

> And I suppose it's the ultimate irony that Rich "Da Man" Handley, possibly the
>most respected RASSMer of all time, has been flamed numerous times in this
>thread alone

I have seen one post as such, but my ns isn't getting all of the posts either.

> I don't think they fully grasped its sarcasm.

Many of us did, but had to own up to the points anyway.

>James Trory's behaviour may be bordering on the sad at this point, but
>he isn't the only one wondering why no-one talks about Star Wars here
>anymore.

I've seen several interesting threads which were entirely on-topic and generated
their fair share of posts and then some recently. I dare say that I don't
recall one of them being started by yourself. Actually, several of them were
started by your "new breed of regulars".

> Apart from the newbies, of course, but then, who cares about
>*them* anyway?

Well, someone must. I haven't seen one flamed or treated to a non-welcome for
quite a while.

mdb

Jun 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/9/97

I heard it rumored that gert...@worldaccess.nl (Gerthein Boersma) has

been cast as GONK in the Star Wars Prequels. _[ : )]=:

>>An excellent question. Personally, I've always seen it this way --
>>Jabba, like many gangsters of our own world, started off a lean, mean,
>>dealing machine who was motivated by honor, greed, and a certain Code
>>he followed.

The description from the script bears this out:

"and his scarred face is a grim
testimonial to his prowess as a vicious killer. "

>Jabba is undeniably a bit different in ANH:SE. I also agree with the
>"Jabba has grown more powerful and thus now sees Han as expendable
>rather than useful" angle, but since that's been mentioned a few
>times, here's an alternative.
>
>I found that new scene to have a Godfather-esque quality to it: Han &
>Jabba are dealing, but we, the audience, know Jabba wouldn't think
>twice about killing Han (sure, he's a good smuggler, so Jabba cuts him
>plenty of slack, but he's powerful enough to wipe him out if he
>wants). In The Godfather, Vito Corleone (Micheal in the sequels) is
>often seen in similar scenes with people he has executed only a few
>scenes later.

Obviously, Han is an important part of Jabba's empire. The toughest
missions, the ones that seem to be impossible; that's when you call
for Solo. However, after being insulted by Solo walking out on him
with a debt unpaid he turns on Solo. In the four years he does even
better without Solo than with him, especially since the other
smugglers are easier to cheat and push around.
But is there more to this? We now see he had Boba Fett, one of the
most infamous bounty hunters on retainer. How powerful was Jabba in
ANH? By SotE isn't he implied as the 4th most powerful person in the
galaxy? Did Solo's arrogance in dealing with Jabba turn the Hutt from
criminal to a vicious bloated thug? Was Jabba already down the dark
side path or did Solo make him snap?

Let's help Ed write a successful post

Jun 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/9/97

FilmJerk <Film...@eartlink.net> wrote:

>I made a post last week about the possibility of David
>Fincher's being Lucas' 2nd Unit Director on the first STAR
>WARS prequel before he goes on to direct parts 2 and 3...

>not one response.

>Not one response on some very important possibilities (not
>rumor, mind you) about a topic that I thought was the most
>important topic concerning STAR WARS. I guess the other

>crap is want the people want right now.

>Edward Havens

Ok, let me give everyone the background on Ed's original
post and maybe some people following this "Noise" thread
can show Ed how they might have written it. Maybe Ed
could even try picking the three he likes best, post all three,
and see how each one fares in attracting interest.

His original subject line read "David Fincher". Here's the
body of his text, according to Deja News:

"Got this from a source of mine...

"David Fincher hasn't been signed yet as director for Prequel
2 or 3, but he will most likely be George's 2nd Unit Director
for STAR WARS 1 once Fincher is done with his latest film
THE GAME.

"For those who don't know, the 2nd Unit are the men and
women who shoot the non essential footage and footage not
featuring the main actors."

Now here are two articles off the Web that provide background
on David Fincher:

http://bubblemouth.pathfinder.com/@@r9z*UXA7GAMAQISD/altculture/aentries/d/dxfincher.html

Fincher, David

(b. 1962) Former animator with George Lucas's Industrial
Light and Magic who founded influential video-production
house Propaganda in 1986. Fincher is the creator of heavy-
hitting, big-budget videos for Madonna ("Vogue," "Express
Yourself," "Oh Father," "Bad Girl"), George Michael (the
supermodel-fest "Freedom '90"), and the Rolling Stones
("Love Is Strong," in which the band dwarfs Manhattan
skyscrapers) and ads for Nike ("Instant Karma," 1992, and
"Ref," 1993, starring Dennis Hopper) and the American
Cancer Society ("Smoking Fetus," 1983). He is also is one
of the few video makers to run into trouble for plagiarizing
a photographer-reputedly settling out of court with Robert
Frank because the 1989 clip for Don Henley's "The End of
the Innocence" too closely resembled pages of Robert
Frank's elegiac photo book The Americans. Fincher made
his feature film debut with 1992's Alien 3, which was then
the highest-budget ($40 million) picture by a first-time
director. His stylish follow-up Seven starred Brad Pitt and
was one of 1995's surprise hits.

And here's the second background article:

http://art.derby.ac.uk/~g.l.sergi/fincher.htm

Miscellaneous crew filmography

1.Star Wars: Episode I (1999) (director second unit)
... aka Star Wars: The Fall of the Republic (1999)

2.Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984) (matte
photography)

3.Return of the Jedi (1983) (assistant cameraman -
miniature and optical effects unit)
... aka Revenge of the Jedi (1983)
... aka Star Wars: Episode VI: The Return of the Jedi (1983)

4.Twice Upon a Time (1983) (special photographic effects)

Well, folks, how would you have posted? Remember,
you're creating the post *and* a catchy header.

Scott Chitwood

Jun 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/9/97

Prince Xizor wrote:

> Don't expect to see clips from the Holiday Special on MTV, though. If
> you'd like to see The Star Wars Holiday Speacial, E me for my HUGE list
> of Cool Star Wars tapes.
>
> Congradulations Chewie

Who didn't see that last part coming? :)

Scott

Arlene Usui

Jun 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/9/97

mdmi...@ucdavis.edu wrote:

> au...@ix.netcom.com (Arlene Usui) wrote:
>> Michael Mierzwa wrote:

>> >of course any hard core B5 fan *should*
>> >now be asking his/herself, "I thought only other telepaths
>> >could sense a scan ...." ;)
>>

>> It's been quite a while since I watched a B5 episode (sorry,
>> Michael), so I'm out of the loop. What's been happening to
>> Chekh... , I mean Walter Koenig's character? Is he still
>> alive or has he been killed off?

>I really can't answer that. SPOILERS, not allowed to spill
>the beans.

>I can tell you this. Walter Koenig's character, Bester, is a
>Psi Cop.

<jettisoned>

>If you REALLY want to know, I can by e-mail
>you an update on Bester.

If it's not too much trouble, ok. You don't have to go into
mega "more-than-meets-the-eye" detail but it would be nice
to know without having to wade through hours of viewing.

>What does this have to do with Star Wars? Well, we know
>that some Jedi will be around in the Prequels. Interestingly
>enough, B5 is setting up a major conflict between teps and
>mundanes (that would be normal people). I look forward to
>seeing the B5 situation reslove itself. And it is possible
>that it might foreshadow how the Jedi will become "all but
>extinct".

>> And Dune, do you like Dune?

>I've never read it. :(

>The movie was interesting. But it has been years since I
>saw it. However, any story based on a "second coming"
>transforming a desert waste land into gaia type of
>environment & liberating a basically unrepresented
>people, sits VERY HIGHLY in my book of good stories. =)

I'm just the opposite. I've read the book and most of the
subsequent volumes in the series, but have never had the
chance to sit down and watch the movie. The only part I've
*heard* is when Paul is leading some people into battle and
they all start that shouting. It wasn't an aural interpretation
I cared for.

>> If you could be *only one* character in either the SW,
>> ST, B5, Dune, or Foundation world, who wou l d y o u
>> b e......

>hard question

>Before I answer it, I want to know if you're asking "If I
>could be one character" or "Which character do I identify
>the most with ... which character do I see more of myself
>in"???

The former, "If you could be one character". But now that
you mention it, it would be interesting to know the answer
to the latter, as well.

Prince Xizor

Jun 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/9/97

Tune into the MTV Movie awards this Thursday to see everybody's favorite
Wookie win a liftime achievement award.
Carrie Fisher presents Chebacca the award and a series of clips show
highlights of Chewies life.

Rimrunner

Jun 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/9/97

In article <5ncep1$c...@news.duke.edu>, Eric Mohler <e...@acpub.duke.edu> wrote:
>In article <3397C9C5...@eartlink.net>,

>FilmJerk <Film...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>>
>> I made a post last week about the possibility of David Fincher's
>>being Lucas'
>>2nd Unit Director on the first STAR WARS prequel before he goes on
>>direct parts 2 and 3...
>>
>>not one response.

Well, Edward, I'll be honest with you...

I have no idea what a 2nd Unit Director does.

What does a 2nd Unit Director do?

>David Fincher is a very brilliant guy, and if Lucas truly wants the
>prequels to be darker, he has picked the right man. Fincher made Alien3
>darker than Alien or Aliens, and that is a considerable feat! He also
>set up a decrepid city in Seven that will serve well in showing the decay of
>the old Republic.

That would be most cool. I tend to like dark atmospheres. Not that I'm
depressed all the time, mind you, but given the subject matter of the
prequels, the setting should reflect the story.

OTOH, I wouldn't want something as claustrophobic as, say, Batman Returns
(that had a lot of other problems as well, but one big one was that the
whole film felt like it took place inside a basement).

>There was an interesting thread a while ago where people speculated how
>Episode III could still end on an up note even with Anakin's fall. Maybe
>the successful hiding of Luke and Leia will be it.

I'm hoping for something unexpected, but plausible. I mean, we know most
of the storyline already -- it's a standard tragedy, in a way, and the
current tril provides the happy ending. Not that I'm expecting the
prequels to be like Hamlet (seen on the marquee of the Guild Theater in
the U District: "Everyone Dies"), but it would be kind of cool to have a
"trailer" on the order of Fortinbras riding in, or something.

>Regardless, I'll be very pleased to know that Fincher is onboard, because
>he is not a visionless "Yes-Man," and Lucas needs somebody with vision to
>disagree with him from time to time. Disagreement between Lucas and
>Kershner produced the best SW film, IMHO.

I do think you've got a point here. Given their respective track records
elsewhere, I'd say that both Lucas *and* Kershner do their best work in a
conflict-ridden environment.

Rimrunner
'conflict-ridden'. where *do* i get this stuff?
--
Murder of Crows official web site: http://www.nwlink.com/~noah/
Pick a newsgroup and save it: http://www.boutell.com/boutell/usenet.html

Chris Brown

Jun 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/9/97

Great. A reason to watch the otherwise bland mtv movie awards.

John Whelan

Jun 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/10/97

k...@halley.pi.net> <33a2478c...@news.mindspring.com>
<5nhp87$h...@halley.pi.net>:
Gerthein Boersma (gert...@worldaccess.nl) wrote:
: Solo is obviously getting arrogant: he thinks he
: can forget about Jabba (since he hasn't paid his debt between ANH and
: ESB), so Jabba gets angry with Solo.

I agree that Jabba's power has probably grown between ANH and ESB. I
suspect that this has something to do with subtle aid of some sort from
Vader or the Empire, which Jabba may or may not be aware of. The end
result is that Solo, formerly just a two-bit smuggler who scammed a
three-bit hoodlum, becomes one of the most wanted men in the galaxy.
Vader wants to find Luke, and any of Luke's friends will do as a means to
this end.

: By now, he's powerful and rich enough to have him killed (in the ANH
: scene, Han seems unimpressed with Jabba, he even goes as far as to
: step on his tail -- even though that was added as an afterthought),

That was not Jabba in the flesh. It was a holographic image of himself
projected from a small flying droid hidden within the confines of the
hologram itself. The real Jabba was several miles distant, wearing
Virtual Reality goggles, manipulating the droid by remote control. The
real Jabba was, even then, much too large and fat to maneuver freely
through the streets of Tatooine, where he would be vulnerable to
assassination by his numerous enemies.

Han did not step ON Jabba's tail. He stepped right through a holographic
image of his tail. Has Jabba's actual tail been stepped on, the offender
would have been shot dead on the spot by Jabba's retainers. Han knowing
this, certainly would never have done such a thing. He stepped through
the tail only because he knew it was a hologram, and he was trying to act
smooth. It was still a bad idea, because Jabba might easily have taken
offense and had him shot anyway. Fortunately, Jabba was in a good mood
that day, and merely made a jokey grimace as though his tail had really
been stepped on.

: raising the bounty to attract top-notch bounty hunters such as Boba
: Fett and the Hunter on Ord Mantell (from Han's more abrupt reaction in
: ESB, I assume the latter made Han quite a bit more jumpy than the
: incompetant -- this is the way he was decribed even before he missed a
: shot at point blank range -- Greedo).

I agreed with this until you mentioned Greedo shooting first. Greedo
never shot first. Check the original source. It is an evil sign that Han
is now claiming he did. Reminds me of Bilbo Baggins' claim that Gollum
gave him the Ring, so that none could say he stole it. Could it be that
the soul-sucking powers of the Ewoks have begun to corrupt Han in much the
same way that the Ring of Power began to corrupt Bilbo?

: But I don't think Jabba was actually obsessed with getting back at
: Solo in the way that, say, Vader was obsessed with getting Luke. He
: simply put a ludricous amount of money on Solo's head, and that was
: sufficient to make the smuggler's life miserable.

I suspect that the ludicrous amount must have been augmented from some
source with Imperial ties.

John W.

JavaJawa/Ember/Talaranth

Jun 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/10/97

A long time ago, in a newsgroup far, far away, Bas-Jan Walewijk posted off-topic:

: Unless you have a really huge killfile, you should have been getting around

: *400* posts a day, up from 250-300. Complain!

DIE, ISP! >:)
--JavaJawa, who only killfiles herself

Sudden on-topic flash: What do people in the SW universe do for fun? Do
they have an equivalent of newsgroups? What are their video games like?

: Bas-Jan

: "Thank you for your hostility."
You're very welcome *EG*

--
--JavaJawa
Can't help Wonder about an offtopic thread complaining about offtopic

May the FORKS be with you!
JavaJawa =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
The one... the only... the JAWA WITH A FORK!

JavaJawa/Ember/Talaranth

Jun 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/10/97

A long time ago, in a newsgroup far, far away, Bas-Jan Walewijk posted off-topic:

: I think that's putting it a bit too strong. Rich was complaining about
: posts, not people. He likes the people, he even likes some off-topic, he
: just minds *too much* off-topic. (I don't.)
Yes, well, you're known for that >:)
I was in a pretty strange mood when I wrote that... I believe it's called
either 'that time of month' or 'wry humor mode'... You can laugh, take
offense, or ignore it. Please, take offense so I can relieve more of my
exam stress... >:)

: Possibly, yes. Perhaps instead of having this discussion every two months,

: complain about off-topic would rather see an empty newsgroup than an
: off-topic one. But that brings the whole debate back to one about mere
: "reading ease", and y'all know how I think about *that* little non-issue.)
I personally would make the suggestion that anyone getting annoyed at the
# of off-topic threads should begin evilly sneaking little on-topic
subliminals into them... and thus avoid the 50-posters like this one
(oops, I already mentioned that)...

: *Very* bad suggestion. Rich is the arch-RASSMer. No offense, but this *may*
: be taken a bit offensively.
Ah, well, the offended will be offensive.
*pause* No offense, but thismay be taken offensively?
Oh nooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[JavaJawa falls over, her eyes turning blue]
Offense... offensively... oh, nooo, this isn't that funny.....

[Regaining her composure, JavaJawa tries to continue...]
: newbie-friendly, people start complaining about off-topic newbies! Sheesh.
: :-)
You can't have it all, I guess, especially not with individuals like us.

: like that textbook cliche: "Discuss!" (Okay, but then I *am* your resident
: discussion anarchist, so pay no attention...)
Some day, I'll duel you for that honor... :):
: Closing on a more positive note (at least for Rich, Gerthein, John Wooten,
: mdb and some other on-topic advocates :-)), I think off-topic posts have
: dropped by about 70% to their pre-explosion levels.
I agree, noticed this...

Been away for awhile, so I've got a lotta catching up to do...
and it's not over yet!
: Bas-Jan

On Topic attempt #2: Academics in SW. The only Academy we hear about is
the Imperial one that turns out, uhh, fighter dudes? Where do people
learn languages and stuff? And do they have stressful exams?
(I get on a one track mind around exam time!)
--
--JavaJawa
"Large leak... very dangerous."

Shuttle tyd .================================================. :.
..er | =--JavaJawa--unofficial RASSM security leak-- ---= \-_:_-\
| ..um =--------------------------------------------- --= _-\\-_
/ \ =--RASSM short-term resident of over 500 posts- -= `.. \|.`.
_-'~~~'-_ =--Novice X-Wing pilot - no squadron------------ = \ \
Whatever! '================================================' (-0-)
May the FORKS be with you! The Jawa with a FORK!

JavaJawa/Ember/Talaranth

Jun 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/10/97

A long time ago, in a newsgroup far, far away, Rich Handley posted off-topic:
: respectful manner. For the record, though, I think you read a lot
: into my message that simply wasn't there.
Why do I get the feeling you're saying that through your teeth? ("No, I
will not get angry, Palpatine!") >:)
: that you haven't been posting
: here that long. I also never told ANYONE to "shut the hell up."
I haven't.

: Well, first of all, I hardly see that wishing to read SW-related
: discussions on a SW newsgroup is "mutually exclusive." However, for
The mutually exclusive part was the part about the environment, but go on.

: how you've interpreted my note, then that's unfortunate. I have no
And unexpected..*slap* ...sorry.
: mis-represented mine. I've not said ANY of the things you're
: attributing to me above, nor have I even hinted at them. Arlene, in

: Rich Handley (Card...@unix.asb.com)

Snipped most of what you said because I wasn't going to write a direct
response to it.

Basically what I wrote was an attempt to answer the question "Why would
any one get steamed at what you wrote?" I was summarizing what I read in
your words, and you've got to admit that if I (a relative newbie) can
read that in them, it's quite possible that so could another relative
newbie. (I tend to assume I'm not *that* insane, nor do I think *that*
much differently from the rest of the galaxy)

Anyway, I was partly joking, but partly steamed enough to write my
opinion (something you'll notice in the past I have rarely done, but
avoided arguements)... I apologize (seems to be a lot of that going on,
too) for any offense meant, since I have to admit some was.

Anyway, you'll notice that between you and K you've got me worried enough
to post on topic now and then >:)

--JavaJawa
"Large leak... very dangerous."

No flame wars! No flame wars! (And if I have to look furry and cute to
prevent them, I will!)
JavaJawa of RASSM Ember ste...@netcom.com STAR WARS! .___________.
i~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~i~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~i x X x i
| HYPER JAWA! | Beware the evil anti-gravity marmot! | \ / |
| Collector of WAVs | You don't know the Power ||\_ / \ _/||
|Local RASSM annoyance| of the Jawa side! | \J A W A/ |
|food war ||| survivor|ajawawithanevilgrinandaforkouttogetyou| ~-___-~ |
`~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~'~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~! REBELLION !
"Luke, you will find that many of the truths we cling to `~~~~~~~~~~~'
depend greatly on our own point of view." -- Obi-Wan Kenobi, ROTJ

JavaJawa/Ember/Talaranth

Jun 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/10/97

Now, now... when I said flame war, I didn't even think of a literal one! :)

: Rich Handley (Card...@unix.asb.com)

On topic insanity #3: Why do we see 1 and exactly 1 blaster set for stun
in the movies?
--JavaJawa
"blast it... very dangerous."

:. JavaJawa of RASSM . ' . ' _ _ '
\-_:_-\ .' .' /_0/_).. '
_-\\-_ /| (-oo-)
`. \| `. ~_//_~
~~~**~~~
\ ` ,' \ - -* It's an X/Tie battle,
* . . ..::' --*-) silly!
\ \ / - -* ( Not a cake :) )
(-0-)

JavaJawa/Ember/Talaranth

Jun 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/10/97

A long time ago, in a newsgroup far, far away, usher posted off-topic:
: Wayne Poe <lo...@h4h.com> eloquently scribbled:

: > One of my last attempts was "WAS that Boba Fett?" where I put a pretty good
: >arguement across that maybe it wasn't. I didn't get one serious answer!

: I must have missed that one. I don't recall it.

--I-- seem to recall it having evolved into an interesting discussion
about why the heck Fett would want to hang around jabba in the first
place... of course, the answers WERE mostly "You newbie..." answers; but
then, a poor unfortunate individual on a newsgroup far far away once told
me that I was a total newbie for thinking that Jawas had the ability to
take over the universe. She accused me of not reading the books, and,
well, she came out of it much the worse for wear.
So my advice is, if they don't take you seriously, post a more in-depth
arguement. After all, who'd have thought a small, black box in the Jawa
sandcrawler would have ended up becoming the head deity of the SW galaxy?

: usher

--JavaJawa
"Large leak... very dangerous."

Jawa advocate
We will take over your world

JavaJawa/Ember/Talaranth

Jun 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/10/97

A long time ago, in a newsgroup far, far away, mdb posted off-topic:

: Speaking of which, doesn't it see kind of odd that Jabba would say the

: original line? What happened to Jabba in the years between ANH and
: RotJ that made him so angry, cruel, and fat? I mean, I know he
: doesn't really care about Greedo, but his whole demeanor in that scene
: is *so* different from his RotJ appearance. Are there any Tales of
: Jabba for the period of the trilogy?

: (Desperately trying to pull this on-topic :)
I'll take. I didn't see the ANH scene except the part they showed in
Making Magic, but Jabba looked pretty small. I'd say he was young then,
and spry but after a few years of being spoiled by his servants, his
sense of humor is starting to decay, and smell quite a bit.

: mdb

: Oh, you've missed alot in life then.
:::whooosh:::

--JavaJawa
"Young worm... very dangerous."

Wayne Poe

Jun 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/10/97

On Mon, 9 Jun 1997, usher wrote:

> Wayne Poe <lo...@h4h.com> eloquently scribbled:
>
> > One of my last attempts was "WAS that Boba Fett?" where I put a pretty good
> >arguement across that maybe it wasn't. I didn't get one serious answer!

> I must have missed that one. I don't recall it.

I'll dig it up again and repost it!

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
WAYNE POE "You will pay the price for
Writer, Filmmaker, your lack of vision."
Makeup fx artist,
Cartoonist ---Emperor Palpatine,
lo...@h4h.com ROTJ
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Rich Handley

Jun 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/10/97

ste...@netcom.com (JavaJawa/Ember/Talaranth) wrote:
>A long time ago, in a newsgroup far, far away, Rich Handley posted off-topic:
>: [Rich pulls out blaster, takes aim at mdb, and pulls trigger
>: effortlessly .... <<bzzzzt>> .... does someone smell steak?]
>Now, now... when I said flame war, I didn't even think of a literal one! :)

LOL!!

>On topic insanity #3: Why do we see 1 and exactly 1 blaster set for stun
>in the movies?

Good question -- I guess the SW universe is not a very stunning place.
<<groan>>

Sincerely,

Rich Handley (Card...@unix.asb.com)

* Writer, WEG's The Official Star Wars Adventure Journal
* Reporter, The Oyster Bay Guardian, (Long Island, NY)
* Columnist, The Star Wars Collector ("ComicCorner")

Visit... "The Exhaustive Guide to Star Wars Comics"
at http://www.asb.com/usr/cardsafe/intro.htm

Rich Handley

Jun 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/10/97

ste...@netcom.com (JavaJawa/Ember/Talaranth) wrote:
>Sudden on-topic flash: What do people in the SW universe do for fun? Do
>they have an equivalent of newsgroups? What are their video games like?

Well, in the Galaxy of Fear novels, Tash is often seen communicating
with a friend on-line (on the Holonet), and there is also Hologram Fun
World.... which comes off like a monumentally silly idea in the "Glove
of Darth Vader" books but is much more palatable in Galaxy of Fear.

usher

Jun 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/10/97

gert...@worldaccess.nl (Gerthein Boersma) eloquently scribbled:

>"No, y...@somewhere.intime (usher), they're alive. I want every ship

>available to sweep the asteroid field until they are found."
>

>>FilmJerk <Film...@eartlink.net> eloquently scribbled:
[David Fincher]

>>I've never heard of the guy and so was not influenced in either way.

>He was boo-ed for his direction of Alien 3, but is praised
>for what he did with Se7en.

Thanks.

>Sidenote: Actually, some people say Alien 3's failure isn't really his
>fault. I say that, for a big part, it is.

I think it was a tired series that had run out of gimicks and believability and
no one could have made A3 good.

>Since Se7en was a big hit, and since Fincher has been discussed here
>before, I can see why Edward would assume people knowing who he was.

Well, normally I don't read many of the articles posted about who did what in
which movie unless it directly relates to the SW movies and /or prequels.
Also, I rarely know who directs a movie unless it's someone like Spielberg,
Lucas, or Howard.

>Personally, I think Fincer isn't enough of a 'sure thing' (Alien 3
>bad, Se7en good) to really direct a whole prequel (as some have
>suggested), but he would be a good choice for 2nd unit.

If, as you say, he did Seven, then he is well qualified for 2nd Unit.

usher
Rambling Old Jedi Engineer

ORSa, RCR, [Throng Happens]

The Stormtrooper doesn't hit his head.

"They don't hand out the Corellian Bloodstripe for perfect attendance." - Badure, from "Han Solo and the Lost Legacy"

usher

Jun 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/10/97

gert...@worldaccess.nl (Gerthein Boersma) eloquently scribbled:

>"No, y...@somewhere.intime (usher), they're alive. I want every ship
>available to sweep the asteroid field until they are found."

>>You seem to forget that most of the threads in this ng are dominated by RASSM
>>reg's.

>I disagree. Some of the more topical threads are dominated by "Rassm
>nobodies".

I disagree. These "RASSM nobodies" have been around for a while on the whole
and so are regulars. They may not be the long-timers, but they're regular
enough.

>Which some did happily. Of course, that's what those little quizes are
>about: somehow you always want to win, so there really is no proof
>there. I still think that some didn't grasp it, though.

That point I will concede.

>one of the traits that defines that new breed of regulars that I briefly
>mentioned, is that they don't start new topical threads.

I was referring to the newest of the new, not the previous crop for which what
you say is true on average.

>Maybe not, but they certainly don't get a lot of responses. My remark
>was sarcastic of course, because I personally do care about the
>newbies.

So do I. We need fresh perspectives to help allieviate the stagnation which
develops. Possibly a start for the off-topicness, but not the continuation.

>But there was a time when I would use the names of regulars to
><search> and find interesting threads simply because I haven't the
>time to read all the messages.

Same here, but now I guess from the headers. Of course Rich's name can still
draw me to a thread as can Rimrunner and Rakelle but they've been less exposed
as of late.

Bas-Jan Walewijk

Jun 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/10/97

John Whelan wrote:

(snip)

>Han did not step ON Jabba's tail. He stepped right through a holographic
>image of his tail. Has Jabba's actual tail been stepped on, the offender
>would have been shot dead on the spot by Jabba's retainers. Han knowing
>this, certainly would never have done such a thing. He stepped through
>the tail only because he knew it was a hologram, and he was trying to act
>smooth. It was still a bad idea, because Jabba might easily have taken
>offense and had him shot anyway. Fortunately, Jabba was in a good mood
>that day, and merely made a jokey grimace as though his tail had really
>been stepped on.

OK, I was starting to wonder how you were going to deal with the SE
revisionism...

(snip)

>I agreed with this until you mentioned Greedo shooting first. Greedo
>never shot first. Check the original source. It is an evil sign that
Han
>is now claiming he did. Reminds me of Bilbo Baggins' claim that Gollum
>gave him the Ring, so that none could say he stole it. Could it be that
>the soul-sucking powers of the Ewoks have begun to corrupt Han in much
the
>same way that the Ring of Power began to corrupt Bilbo?

Guess that answers my question. :-)

Personally, I'm just spreading the vicious rumor that Greedo shooting first
had to something to do with the British Board of Film Classification
(because as we all know, *all* the evils in the world can be somehow traced
to the BBFC).

Bas-Jan

--

"Thank you for your hostility."

--
Tomorrow is the first day of your *v o r t e x*.
--
An Official RASSM Jedi Master.
Private tuition $CHEAP$ - 1-800-SWAMP
--
http://www.seneca.demon.nl/nil/ - Nil & Void

Bas-Jan Walewijk

Jun 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/10/97

JavaJawa/Ember/Talaranth wrote:

>I'll take. I didn't see the ANH scene except the part they showed in
>Making Magic, but Jabba looked pretty small.

Wait a sec... you mean to say you didn't see the SE's?!

Bas-Jan Walewijk

Jun 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/10/97

JavaJawa/Ember/Talaranth wrote:

>Sudden on-topic flash: What do people in the SW universe do for fun? Do
>they have an equivalent of newsgroups? What are their video games like?

Allegedly, the Clone Wars were started when a young Senator named Palpatine
roused up resentment against the corrupt and off-topic Old Republic on
corsc.senate.misc.

usher

Jun 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/10/97

rim...@halcyon.com (Rimrunner) eloquently scribbled:

>Well, Edward, I'll be honest with you...
>I have no idea what a 2nd Unit Director does.
>What does a 2nd Unit Director do?

The 2nd Unit shoots backgrounds (city scapes, etc.) and shots that do not
feature the main characters. I can think of several scenes in Seven, but
they're hard for me to describe where in the movie they are without spoiling it
for those who haven't seen it.

>'conflict-ridden'. where *do* i get this stuff?

Books. The more we use our brains, the more fits inside. Nothing is shoved out
to make room for anything until we stop using our brain and it stagnates. I
think that I usually do so well at Trivial Pursuit because of my vast body of
read material and my voraciousness for more.

JavaJawa/Ember/Talaranth

Jun 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/10/97

A long time ago, in a newsgroup far, far away, Rich Handley posted off-topic:

: Good question -- I guess the SW universe is not a very stunning place.
: <<groan>>

AAAAGHHHHHHHH!!! I've been hit! I can't stay with you.
Do regular blasters (not ST rifles) even HAVE a stun setting?
And how can you set a BLASTer for Stun anyway?

: Rich Handley (Card...@unix.asb.com)
You are evil! You are EVIL! You are EVIL EVIL EVIL!

--JavaJawa
"Large leak... very dangerous."

May the FORKS be with you!

JavaJawa/Ember/Talaranth

Jun 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/10/97

A long time ago, in a newsgroup far, far away, Bas-Jan Walewijk posted off-topic:

: JavaJawa/Ember/Talaranth wrote:

: >I'll take. I didn't see the ANH scene except the part they showed in
: >Making Magic, but Jabba looked pretty small.

: Wait a sec... you mean to say you didn't see the SE's?!

I saw ESB and ROTJ se, but no one would take me to see ANH se 8(
So I didn't see Greedo shoot first! *MUAHAHA*
: Bas-Jan

: --
: "Thank you for your hostility."
: --
: Tomorrow is the first day of your *v o r t e x*.
: --
: An Official RASSM Jedi Master.
: Private tuition $CHEAP$ - 1-800-SWAMP
: --
: http://www.seneca.demon.nl/nil/ - Nil & Void

Gerthein Boersma

Jun 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/10/97

"No, y...@somewhere.intime (usher), they're alive. I want every ship
available to sweep the asteroid field until they are found."

>The 2nd Unit shoots backgrounds (city scapes, etc.) and shots that do not

>feature the main characters. I can think of several scenes in Seven, but
>they're hard for me to describe where in the movie they are without spoiling it
>for those who haven't seen it.

You really liked Seven, didn't you usher?

To re-itterate what I've said before: Based on Seven, I'd say Fincher
is fabulous for the job.

BTW, Alien 3's establishing (and such) shots weren't half bad, so even
based on that, Fincher would do fine. Alien 3 did look pretty good (it
being another victory of style over substance).

- Gerthein (-o-)
-----------------------
gert...@worldaccess.nl
-----------------------

Gerthein Boersma

Jun 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/10/97

"No, y...@somewhere.intime (usher), they're alive. I want every ship
available to sweep the asteroid field until they are found."

>>>I've never heard of the guy and so was not influenced in either way.

>>He was boo-ed for his direction of Alien 3, but is praised
>>for what he did with Se7en.

>Thanks.

Don't mention it.

>>Sidenote: Actually, some people say Alien 3's failure isn't really his
>>fault. I say that, for a big part, it is.

>I think it was a tired series that had run out of gimicks and believability and
>no one could have made A3 good.

This is true, and of course, Aliens is in essence a remake of Alien
(although it is a brilliant one, IMHO). Still, A3 could have been a
nice if unremarkable suspense thriller in its own right. That it is
entirely non-suspenseful is much to Fincher's dismerit.

Of course, the fact that we know early on that Ripley can't be killed
by the alien (coupled to the fact that she's the only character we
care about) helps not a jot.

>Well, normally I don't read many of the articles posted about who did what in
>which movie unless it directly relates to the SW movies and /or prequels.
>Also, I rarely know who directs a movie unless it's someone like Spielberg,
>Lucas, or Howard.

What would be your opinion on Howard as a prequel director, then?

- Gerthein (-o-)
-----------------------
gert...@worldaccess.nl

"This is Odie-Wan Kenobi. He has the Force to help us."
"He hides it well."
-- Garfield

Bas-Jan Walewijk

Jun 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/10/97

Gerthein Boersma wrote:

>This is true, and of course, Aliens is in essence a remake of Alien
>(although it is a brilliant one, IMHO). Still, A3 could have been a
>nice if unremarkable suspense thriller in its own right. That it is
>entirely non-suspenseful is much to Fincher's dismerit.

Alien was largely a sci-fi horror movie, Aliens a sci-fi action movie (I
can't think of anything particularly scary about Aliens, just some yucky
effects, though I agree it's a good movie). Alien3 didn't know what it was
supposed to be, just that it didn't want to be Aliens and couldn't be
Alien.

>Of course, the fact that we know early on that Ripley can't be killed
>by the alien (coupled to the fact that she's the only character we
>care about) helps not a jot.

OK, the script is a terrible problem. The writer obviously was far more
interested in his pet monks than in that annoying creature, the movie
simply *went* nowhere etc. - but Fincher only made things worse by shooting
it as a lot of yellow-brown visuals and weird angles with a relentlessly
depressing atmosphere that just made you say: "Please, people, just get it
over with and all die, will you? Oh good, there goes another one. Only
twenty more minutes left. Wonder if I'll catch my bus?"

I liked Se7en a lot better, but it has its problems too: again, it's
relentlessly nasty yellowish-brown misery and it has a contrived ending
that I could see coming from a mile away. Basically, it comes down to the
fact that you'd really only hire Fincher for the depressing visuals and
depressing atmosphere - and even though both should have their place in the
prequels, I think appointing him as a full director would be taking far too
big a risk.

Arlene Usui

Jun 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/10/97

jetta...@aol.com (Anthony Siino) wrote:

<heavily edited by Maarcia Lucas>

Anthony:
>> >Good question. I've been lurking here for about 3 years
>> >but often feel just fed up with the quantity of the junk
>> >posts here and give up for a few months until I need a
>> >SW fix.

Arlene:
>> Let's say I agree with you, there are too many off-topic
>> postings. So instead of letting us get away with
>> inappropriate behavior, I invite you to post your own
>> on-topic thoughts, maybe once a week, just for starters.

>> Are you game?

>I am game. Actually, I'm looking forward to the Novel
>Discussion group. I never got around to reading the Lando
>books so it gives me a new book to read. I'm still having a
>hard time wading through the zillions of posts. The threads
>just wander and wander. Tonight, I've cruised through this
>RASSM Noise thread and it's taken a while as it's wandered
>from a discussion of Jabba to a discussion of the number of
>posts people get each day on their server. Often when I
>check out interesting subject headers I find that the posts
>have nothing to do with the subject. Anyway, I'll try and
>will be up for the Novel group at least.

>Anthony

I'm looking forward to the novel discussion too. After I
get off work tomorrow morning, I have to stop by the local
library and pick up the copy of "Han Solo at Stars' End"
they're holding for me.

I'm also picking up a book about Freud, called "The
Memory Wars...". Sounds like a good title for a SW book,
don't you think?

Sometimes when you walk through the stacks, don't you
ever run across a cool book by accident? And if you do
grocery shopping, do you sometimes find a really neat food
product tucked away in some obscure marketing spot? Ah,
easy mix funnel cake batter...

mdb

Jun 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/10/97

I heard it rumored that y...@somewhere.intime (usher) has been cast as
GONK in the Star Wars Prequels. _[ : )]=:

>Wayne Poe <lo...@h4h.com> eloquently scribbled:
>
>> One of my last attempts was "WAS that Boba Fett?" where I put a pretty good
>>arguement across that maybe it wasn't. I didn't get one serious answer!
>
>I must have missed that one. I don't recall it.

I didn't either, but I've thought about it and I don't think it was
Fett. I wouldn't be surprised if there were always at least 2 Fetts
running around.

mdb

Did you ever kick a guy when he's down?
Uh no, I never have, thank you.

Gerthein Boersma

Jun 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/10/97

Before I apologized to him for not using my ESB-inspired posting-line

for reasons to complicated to explain, John Whelan wrote:

>I agree that Jabba's power has probably grown between ANH and ESB. I
>suspect that this has something to do with subtle aid of some sort from
>Vader or the Empire, which Jabba may or may not be aware of. The end
>result is that Solo, formerly just a two-bit smuggler who scammed a
>three-bit hoodlum, becomes one of the most wanted men in the galaxy.
>Vader wants to find Luke, and any of Luke's friends will do as a means to
>this end.

I don't know... Jabba could have made it to the top by himself. Three
years (I *think* that's the amount time between ANH and ROTJ) is a
long time in the criminal world even here on Earth (time wherein the
most insignificant hoodlum can grow to become a phenomenal crime
boss), let alone in such a huge galaxy as the SW-galaxy.

While I don't doubt that Jabba has his "men" in the Empire, I don't
like the idea that it's Vader who's behind it all again. That would
make the SW-galaxy such a small place, and that's not the way I like
to see it. I guess that's personal preference, though: some people
like to see Luke, Han & all the other principals from the films as a
part of everything that happens in the galaxy (look at the Bantham
books... and their sales-figures).

>: By now, he's powerful and rich enough to have him killed (in the ANH
>: scene, Han seems unimpressed with Jabba, he even goes as far as to
>: step on his tail -- even though that was added as an afterthought),

>That was not Jabba in the flesh. It was a holographic image of himself
>projected from a small flying droid hidden within the confines of the
>hologram itself. The real Jabba was several miles distant, wearing
>Virtual Reality goggles, manipulating the droid by remote control. The
>real Jabba was, even then, much too large and fat to maneuver freely
>through the streets of Tatooine, where he would be vulnerable to
>assassination by his numerous enemies.

>Han did not step ON Jabba's tail. He stepped right through a holographic

>image of his tail. Has Jabba's actual tail been stepped on, the offender
>would have been shot dead on the spot by Jabba's retainers. Han knowing
>this, certainly would never have done such a thing. He stepped through
>the tail only because he knew it was a hologram, and he was trying to act
>smooth. It was still a bad idea, because Jabba might easily have taken
>offense and had him shot anyway. Fortunately, Jabba was in a good mood
>that day, and merely made a jokey grimace as though his tail had really
>been stepped on.

If you say so, but I thought we just established that Jabba was a
three-bit hoodlum back then who still needed folk like Solo, and that
*that* is why Jabba allowed the insult. To me, that sounds like an
explanation that's just a *tad* more logical. ;-)

Of course, I agree that Jabba is too small in SW:SE, and that he
should be on some kind of a hutt-floater device (wasn't there somesuch
in the comics?), but that's just the restraint of having a *short*
actor stand in for Jabba (whom Harrison Ford still had to look in the
eye and walk around -- of course they didn't know that they'd make
Jabba *big* later). But this issue has been discussed to death.

>: raising the bounty to attract top-notch bounty hunters such as Boba
>: Fett and the Hunter on Ord Mantell (from Han's more abrupt reaction in
>: ESB, I assume the latter made Han quite a bit more jumpy than the
>: incompetant -- this is the way he was decribed even before he missed a
>: shot at point blank range -- Greedo).

>I agreed with this until you mentioned Greedo shooting first. Greedo
>never shot first. Check the original source. [snip]

To nitpick, I didn't mention Greedo shooting first, I said that he was
incompetant before they made him missed pointblank range.

I don't like the SE-version any more than you do. I merely mentioned
it because I was about to call Greedo incompetent, and was afraid that
some people would think I used the term merely because Greedo missed a
shot at point blank range in the SE (and that people wouldn't take the
comment seriously because of it, because no person in their right
minds takes the change seriously), so I added that that was the way he
was described before this change.

By using the word "before" I even acknowledged that there was original
material. If you wanted to vent about that change (I thought we were
all past that, but to each their own; after all, venting *is* your
primary function ;), I don't think my casual mention was a proper
excuse.

No hard feelings, though.

>: But I don't think Jabba was actually obsessed with getting back at
>: Solo in the way that, say, Vader was obsessed with getting Luke. He
>: simply put a ludricous amount of money on Solo's head, and that was
>: sufficient to make the smuggler's life miserable.

>I suspect that the ludicrous amount must have been augmented from some
>source with Imperial ties.

Again, the SW Galaxy is a huge place, and Jabba could've earned his
riches through hard dishonest work not directly linkedto the Empire
(although he has undoubtedly bribed more than a few Moffs on his way
up). And thus could afford the huge bounty needed to make Solo's life
miserable without lifting another finger.

Perhaps that bounty *still* wasn't enough to attract the very best in
the galaxy, though, but that changed once Han had a *double* bounty on
his head (Jabba's *and* Vader's, to spell it out).

Rimrunner

Jun 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/10/97

In article <339d856e...@news.utk.edu>, usher <y...@somewhere.intime> wrote:
>rim...@halcyon.com (Rimrunner) eloquently scribbled:
>
>>Well, Edward, I'll be honest with you...
>>I have no idea what a 2nd Unit Director does.
>>What does a 2nd Unit Director do?
>
>The 2nd Unit shoots backgrounds (city scapes, etc.) and shots that do not
>feature the main characters. I can think of several scenes in Seven, but
>they're hard for me to describe where in the movie they are without spoiling it
>for those who haven't seen it.

Ah. Okay. Thanks, usher.

>>'conflict-ridden'. where *do* i get this stuff?
>
>Books. The more we use our brains, the more fits inside. Nothing is shoved
>out to make room for anything until we stop using our brain and it
>stagnates. I think that I usually do so well at Trivial Pursuit because
>of my vast body of read material and my voraciousness for more.

Ah, well. That explains my frequently locquacious (case in point) posting
style.

Rimrunner
book addict
--
Murder of Crows official web site: http://www.nwlink.com/~noah/
Pick a newsgroup and save it: http://www.boutell.com/boutell/usenet.html
***Official RASSM Jedi Master***
Star Wars FAQ: http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Hills/4147/
--
"Don't hate me because I'm beautiful. Hate me because I'm a complete
bitch!" -- Winter Jaye

Rimrunner

Jun 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/10/97

In article <5nkl63$q...@sjx-ixn8.ix.netcom.com>,
Arlene Usui <au...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>I'm looking forward to the novel discussion too. After I
>get off work tomorrow morning, I have to stop by the local
>library and pick up the copy of "Han Solo at Stars' End"
>they're holding for me.

Great book! Unfortunately I don't have time to participate in the
discussion groups (that work thing keeps intruding), but this is
definitely a fun read.

>Sometimes when you walk through the stacks, don't you
>ever run across a cool book by accident?

Imagine that the stack is a search engine, and the store a website.

Sigh...suffice to say that I spend a significant portion of my monthly
paycheck at work. My to-read pile would be higher than my head, except
that my cat keeps knocking it over.

Please note that the above is NOT meant as an advertisement; it's just
that this is an extremely dangerous place for a book addict to work. :)

>And if you do
>grocery shopping, do you sometimes find a really neat food
>product tucked away in some obscure marketing spot? Ah,
>easy mix funnel cake batter...

Ah, Brainwash...

What, you don't know what Brainwash is? Well, allow me to enlighten you.

Imagine Coke, only as a cherry/citrus soda, oddly red or blue colored
(comes in two colors!), with just as much caffeine. Now, add several
entirely legal but oddly mind-altering ingredients, such as: 3 kinds of
ginseng, dill weed, skullcap, echinacea, and jalapeno oil (clears those
sinuses right up!).

Whoo.

Rimrunner
whoo, i say