"Why Bob Iger’s Ultimate Power Move May Be Selling Disney to Apple"

Lynn McGuire

Nov 23, 2022, 1:04:00 AM11/23/22
"Why Bob Iger’s Ultimate Power Move May Be Selling Disney to Apple"

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/why-bob-iger-ultimate-power-193000597.html

"Now that Disney CEO Bob Iger has regained the keys to the Magic Kingdom
— less than three years after his chosen successor, Bob Chapek, took
over — insiders suspect they know how the beloved executive will find a
new way to go out on top during his final two-year stint. “He’s going
to sell the company,” one Disney insider who has worked for Iger
predicted. “This is the pinnacle deal for the ultimate dealmaker.”"

Unreal.

Lynn

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Nov 23, 2022, 2:07:05 AM11/23/22
In article <tlkd4e$anch$1...@dont-email.me>,
I dunno. Apple had a business case for buying record labels when they
were trying to get Itunes off the ground (not to mention Apple Records
to save some legal woes), and didn't. I don't see them really working
as a media company.
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Lynn McGuire

Nov 23, 2022, 2:17:08 AM11/23/22
There is a falling out coming for the streaming services. Probably only
three will survive. One will be Netflix. Who will be the other two ?
Apple, Disney, Youtube, Comcast, AT&T, Fubo, Hulu, and Amazon are on
that list.

Lynn

Your Name

Nov 23, 2022, 3:47:52 PM11/23/22
Apple already is a "media company". In addition to Apple Music service
(previously called iTunes), the Apple TV+ streaming service has many TV
shows and movies made by 100% funding from Apple specifically for them.

There have been silly rumours of Apple buying Disney (and vice versa)
for decades. Bob Iger was even on the board of Apple for a while, but
quit due to the conflict of interest as Apple's TV business started up.
Steve Jobs was a board member at Disney for a while as well. Plus of
course Steve Jobs sold Pixar to Disney.

But I don't see one of them buying the other ever happening unless one
of them goes into a sudden massive decline.

Your Name

Nov 23, 2022, 3:51:01 PM11/23/22
There have also been rumours of Apple buying up Netflix.

Disney of course does own Hulu (with a sleeping partner minority stake
owned by Comcast).

Lynn McGuire

Nov 23, 2022, 5:42:47 PM11/23/22
Netflix has a market cap of $130 billion. Doable. Apple reputedly has
$300 billion cash in the bank.
https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/NFLX?p=NFLX

Disney has a market cap of $180 billion.
https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/DIS?p=DIS

Why not buy both ? Of course the FTC will disallow one for sure.

Lynn

Dorothy J Heydt

Nov 28, 2022, 1:17:42 AM11/28/22
In article <tlkhde$1ad5$1...@gioia.aioe.org>,
(Hal Heydt)
Apple's fondness for the walled garden might be attractive to at
leat some people at Disney.

Your Name

Nov 28, 2022, 1:28:31 AM11/28/22
All the streaming services have a "walled garden" and refuse
point-blank to share their 'exclusive' content with *anyone* else. It's
one of the biggest stupidities there is in the industry since it means
people have to subscribe to a bazillion different services just to
watch one or two programmes on each one. X-(

Michael F. Stemper

Nov 28, 2022, 9:19:32 AM11/28/22
On 28/11/2022 00.28, Your Name wrote:
> On 2022-11-28 06:09:37 +0000, Hal Heydt said:

>> Apple's fondness for the walled garden might be attractive to at
>> leat some people at Disney.
>
> All the streaming services have a "walled garden" and refuse point-blank to share their 'exclusive' content with *anyone* else. It's one of the biggest stupidities there is in the industry since it means people have to subscribe to a bazillion different services just to watch one or two programmes on each one.  X-(

You need to remember that, from the POV of the people who set up
those walled gardens, that's not a bug, it's a feature.

--
Michael F. Stemper
Exodus 22:21

Paul S Person

Nov 28, 2022, 11:56:00 AM11/28/22
Capitalism at its best!
--
"In this connexion, unquestionably the most significant
development was the disintegration, under Christian

Alan

Nov 28, 2022, 1:50:47 PM11/28/22
And from the POV of a lot of people who purchase Apple's products, the
walled garden IS a feature.

It was the protection from wilds outside that wall that led a lot of
people to think that buying a smartphone or tablet could be a good idea...

Your Name

Nov 28, 2022, 3:59:33 PM11/28/22
Apple's rumored Disney acquisition is 'pure speculation' says Bob Iger
The prospect of Apple acquiring Disney seems not just unlikely, but
incredibly improbable, after the returning CEO told employees the
rumors are "pure speculation."

In the wake of rumors flaring up of a deal that Apple could buy the
entertainment behemoth following his return as CEO of Disney, Bob
Iger has taken a moment to cool down suggestions Disney is for sale.
Speaking to cast members during a town hall meeting on Monday, Iger
dismissed the suggestion entirely.

During the meeting about the future of Disney itself, Iger was asked
about the rumors of a possible Apple purchase. In response, Iger
characterized the claims as "pure speculation," indicating it's not
something the company is considering at all.

Rumors that Apple will buy Disney have circulated for over two
decades, but were renewed with the installation of Iger as CEO three
years after leaving the role. During the hiatus, Iger publicly said
there was a point where a merger could possibly have taken place
between the two companies - if there had been discussions.

Iger had previously uttered the same sentiment while friend Steve
Jobs was alive, but neither had actually formally spoken about such
a deal.

During the Cook administration of Apple, the rumors continued, in
part due to Apple's growth and massive cash reserves being enough
to enable such a purchase to take place.

However, such a prospect won't occur unless both Apple and Disney
offer any indication to each other that such a tie-up would be
appropriate. With Iger's comments, that seems extremely unlikely to
happen anytime soon.

<https://appleinsider.com/articles/22/11/28/apples-rumored-disney-acquisition-is-pure-speculation-says-bob-iger>

rksh...@rosettacondot.com

Nov 29, 2022, 10:03:03 AM11/29/22
Your Name <Your...@yourisp.com> wrote:
> On 2022-11-28 06:09:37 +0000, Dorothy J Heydt said:
>
>> In article <tlkhde$1ad5$1...@gioia.aioe.org>,
>> Lynn McGuire <lynnmc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>>

>>> https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/why-bob-iger-ultimate-power-193000597.html

>>> There is a falling out coming for the streaming services. Probably only
>>> three will survive. One will be Netflix. Who will be the other two ?
>>> Apple, Disney, Youtube, Comcast, AT&T, Fubo, Hulu, and Amazon are on
>>> that list.
>>
>> (Hal Heydt)
>> Apple's fondness for the walled garden might be attractive to at
>> leat some people at Disney.
>
> All the streaming services have a "walled garden" and refuse
> point-blank to share their 'exclusive' content with *anyone* else. It's
> one of the biggest stupidities there is in the industry since it means
> people have to subscribe to a bazillion different services just to
> watch one or two programmes on each one. X-(

Remember when everyone wanted to be able to pick and choose their channels
rather than having to buy bundles from the cable company? Here we are.

Robert
--
Robert K. Shull Email: rkshull at rosettacon dot com

T987654321

Dec 1, 2022, 2:17:05 PM12/1/22
Uh, you know that's why it's done yes? Not stupid at all.

Your Name

Dec 1, 2022, 4:25:14 PM12/1/22
Pissing off you customers is *always* stupid. Pissing off your
customers simply because you're incredibly greedy and selifh is
incredibly stupid.

MummyChunk

Dec 3, 2022, 6:40:30 AM12/3/22

> Lynn McGuire wrote:
> "Why Bob Igerâ s Ultimate Power Move May Be Selling Disney to
Apple"

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/why-bob-iger-ultimate-power-193000597.html

> "Now that Disney CEO Bob Iger has regained the keys to the
Magic Kingdom
> â less than three years after his chosen successor, Bob Chapek,
took
> over â insiders suspect they know how the beloved executive will
find a
> new way to go out on top during his final two-year stint.
â Heâ s going
> to sell the company,â one Disney insider who has worked for Iger
> predicted. â This is the pinnacle deal for the ultimate
dealmaker.â "

> Unreal.
>
> Lynn

With the recent revelations of just how much of an
influence Twitter seemed to have on many recent events, are these big
mega companies with a severe lack of checks and balances really such a
good idea for our society?

This is a response to the post seen at:
http://www.jlaforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=637849880#637849880