""Has anyone seen the film “I am mother”?"

Lynn McGuire

Dec 12, 2022, 3:25:07 PM12/12/22
From a friend: "Has anyone seen the film “I am mother”? It’s a
dystopian sci-fi flick. The movie is like a tiny look into the middle of
a huge story. At the end, you are left wondering what the heck just
happened… Worth seeing!"

"I’m wondering if there will be sequels/prequels."

The movie, on Netflix, is a cautionary tale for a different form of
Skynet. And it is very good with a low budget.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Am_Mother

Is this movie based on a book ? And are there prequels or sequels ?

Thanks,
Lynn

Paul S Person

Dec 13, 2022, 12:40:39 PM12/13/22
(I mean, /really/, not only Unicode-only quotes that Eternal September
rejects posts for, but /two/ levels of outermost quotes? Is there a
new version of LISP that used quotation marks instead of parentheses?)

On Mon, 12 Dec 2022 14:25:07 -0600, Lynn McGuire
<lynnmc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> From a friend: "Has anyone seen the film “I am mother”? It’s a
>dystopian sci-fi flick. The movie is like a tiny look into the middle of
>a huge story. At the end, you are left wondering what the heck just
>happened… Worth seeing!"

Worth seeing once, anyway. And I had no troubling figuring the
situation out. It does look very well done.

>"I’m wondering if there will be sequels/prequels."

As to other films, that depends on how much this one made and how
enthusiastic the writer/director are. And how imaginative.

>The movie, on Netflix, is a cautionary tale for a different form of
>Skynet. And it is very good with a low budget.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Am_Mother

The Terminator version of Skynet is intended here, I suppose. That is
an interesting connection.

>Is this movie based on a book ? And are there prequels or sequels ?

As the very article you yourself cite states (using "//" for
italicized part):

"/I Am Mother/ is a 2019 Australian cyberpunk thriller film directed
by Grant Sputore, from a screenplay by Michael Lloyd Green, based on a
story by both."

This phraseology usually means that the story is an original story,
from which the screenplay was made. IMDb
([https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6292852/fullcredits?ref_=tt_ov_st_sm])
has no indication of any other author.

It is, I suppose, possible that they co-wrote a story and got it
published somewhere. But I think we can clearly rule out it having
been written by anyone else.

And, since the same people wrote the story and the script, I suspect
the two are quite similar.
--
"In this connexion, unquestionably the most significant
development was the disintegration, under Christian

Magewolf

Dec 13, 2022, 2:08:11 PM12/13/22
It struck me as one of those "Aren't I clever" stories. And like most
of them it is not that clever. There was only ever two endings possible
and by a third of the way through it had already shown which one we were
getting so it turned into a bit of a slough to watch.