MT VOID, 07/16/21 -- Vol. 40, No. 3, Whole Number 2180

evelynchim...@gmail.com

Jul 18, 2021, 10:09:28 AM7/18/21
THE MT VOID
Mt. Holz Science Fiction Society
07/16/21 -- Vol. 40, No. 3, Whole Number 2180

Co-Editor: Mark Leeper, mle...@optonline.net
Co-Editor: Evelyn Leeper, ele...@optonline.net
Sending Address: evelynchim...@gmail.com
All material is the opinion of the author and is copyrighted by the
author unless otherwise noted.
All comments sent or posted will be assumed authorized for
inclusion unless otherwise noted.

The latest issue is at <http://www.leepers.us/mtvoid/latest.htm>.
An index with links to the issues of the MT VOID since 1986 is at
<http://leepers.us/mtvoid/back_issues.htm>.

Topics:
STAR TREK: THE ORIGINAL SERIES (television retrospective
by Evelyn C. Leeper)
Jazz (letters of comment by Richie Bielak, Paul Dormer,
John Kerr-Mudd, and Scott Dorsey)
AIRPLANE! (letters of comment by Art Stadlin,
Gary McGath, and Paul Dormer)
Midway, Historical Dates, and Timelines (letters of comment
by Dorothy J. Heydt, Keith F. Lynch, Kevin R,
Tim Merrigan, and R. Looney)
This Week's Reading (SUPERNOVA ERA) (book comments
by Evelyn C. Leeper)

TOPIC: STAR TREK: THE ORIGINAL SERIES (television retrospective by
Evelyn C. Leeper)

We have *finally* started watching our DVD set of STAR TREK: THE
ORIGINAL SERIES, which has been nicely ageing on our shelf for five
years since we bought it. And I have three observations.

The first is about the physical package. The 25 discs were packed
in one of those book-hinged multi-disc holders with minimal teeth
to hold the discs two discs to a side. The problem is that these
minimal teeth break very easily in transit, even within the fairly
sturdy case. So invariably, at least one disc is loose when you
first open the package. In this case, four were loose. There is
really only one solution: put all the discs in paper sleeves and
put those in the outside case. Luckily, the book-hinger holder is
not attached to the case, and the geometry is such that the paper
holders with discs will fit.) (We had to do the same thing with
the WILD WILD WEST set.) It's actually better than the cases that
have hard plastic trays glued to a cardboard fold-out holder--when
those teetch break there is no way to replace the trays.

The second is more substantive: I had forgotten how sexist the show
was. Not just that the women are in mini-skirts and spend a fair
amount of time being flirtatious rather than professional.
(Example: Uhura saying to Spock, "I'm an illogical woman, who's
beginning to feel too much a part of that communications console.
Why don't you tell me I'm an attractive young lady, or ask me if
I've ever been in love? Tell me how your planet Vulcan looks on a
lazy evening when the moon is full.") And it's not that Kirk talks
about "where no man has gone before." It's also that the male crew
members make all sorts of sexist and offensive comments about the
women. (Example: "How'd you like to have her as your personal
yeoman?") In "Charlie X", Charlie Evans picks up on this and hits
Yeoman Rand's backside after he sees a crewman do the same thing.
In "Where No Man Has Gone Before", Commander Gary Mitchell says to
Dr. Dehner, "Improving the breed, Doctor? Is that your line?" and
Dehner replies, "I've heard that's more your specialty, Commander,
line included." And late Dehner declares, "Women professionals do
tend to overcompensate." Even Mr. Spock gets into the act in "The
Enemy Within", saying to Yeoman Rand, "The, er, impostor had some
interesting qualities, wouldn't you say, Yeoman?

"Mudd's Women" is obviously sexist in a way that the other episodes
could not be, but forty-plus years later, one of the first
questions that arises is "What effect do these women (and the Venus
Drug) have on the gay and lesbian crew?" It seems unlikely they
would appeal to gay men, and given that the aura they project is
designed to appeal to men, would it also attract women? (Since
Spock is unaffected, that seems to indicate a pre-disposition is
necessary.) For that matter, the whole process by which the Venus
Drug works is pretty close to magic. Does it work through
pheromones? Is it mind-altering? If you took a photo of a woman
using it, what would the photograph show?

And what's with Yeoman Rand's hair-do (that whole "basket-weave"
thing)? Well, according to one source, Roddenberry wanted all the
crew to have odd hairdos, but the male actors put their foot
(feet?) down and said they had lives off the set and weren't
getting any strange haircuts. So they settled for pointed
sideburns. Why they couldn't wear wigs the way Grace Lee Whitney
and other women did isn't clear.

The third observation came after watching "Spacelift: Transporting
Trek into the 21st Century". I was sort of okay with re-recording
the opening theme, it was when they started talking about how they
recreated the stock shots of the Enterprise with CGI, and saying
things like, "If we wanted to make the Enterprise look vulnerable,
we shot it from above," that I said, "Whoa! The original shot was
done a certain way, and now they're changing it?!" And there is
more: they added a blink to the Gorn, changed various elements of a
destroyed base in another episode, added details to the Enterprise
and other elements, and in general changed the original. Next
they'll be taking the guns out of E.T.: THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL and
changing who shot first in STAR WARS. [-ecl]

TOPIC: Jazz (letters of comment by Richie Bielak, Paul Dormer, and
John Kerr-Mudd)

the MT VOID, Richie Bielak writes:

Noticed some comments you made on jazz in the MT. Void.

I could go on and on explaining how jazz works, but to save you
time you might like this video:

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feNV4gCNcSE>

[-rb]

Paul Dormer writes:

I remember reading somewhere--it might have been the humourist,
jazz aficionado and double bass player, Miles Kington--that someone
once published a book of chord progressions from popular songs.
Apparently, it was claimed, that although the songs were copyright,
the chords weren't. [-pd]

And John Kerr-Mudd helpfully replies:

Der derderder duh! [-jkm]

Scott Dorsey adds:

Indeed, this is why fake books are legal. They don't contain the
songs, and if you don't already know the songs pretty well they
won't help you play them. [-sd]

TOPIC: AIRPLANE! (letters of comment by Art Stadlin, Gary McGath,
and Paul Dormer)

issue of the MT VOID, Art Stadlin writes:

Mark really hit the nail on the head with his AIRPLANE
retrospective. Excellent review of a classic. [-as]

Gary McGath writes:

I'd never even heard of THE BIG BUS before. Just now I found a
clip on YouTube. Even without reading this history, I think I've
had called it AIRPLANE! on the ground. [-gmg]

Paul Dormer responds:

I actually saw it when [THE BIG BUS] first came out.

Conversely, AIRPLANE! came out just before my first flight to the
US in 1980 and one of the people I was travelling with had just
been to see it and kept telling us about it on the flight. [-pd]

TOPIC: Midway, Historical Dates, and Timelines (letters of comment
by Dorothy J. Heydt, Keith F. Lynch, Kevin R, Tim Merrigan, and
R. Looney)

issue of the MT VOID, Dorothy J. Heydt writes:

Is there a little children's verse about the Battle of Midway? Or
is the commenter referring back to "Pop Goes the Weasel"?

If there is a children's verse about Midway, I'd like to know it.
I was born while it was happening. (I didn't, obviously, know
about it at the time.)

[John wrote,] "That was a key victory for the American fleet back
in 1942 that shaped the remainder of the Pacific war."

When a clerk at the pharmacy (or other place where they need to
know) asks for my date of birth, I say, "June sixth, 1942," and
sometimes add "Battle of Midway." And nineteen times out of twenty
they have no idea what I'm talking about, and I explain with some
language like that quoted above. [-djh]

Keith F. Lynch responds:

Not many people can boast that they had two major motion pictures
made about the day they were born. [-kfl]

Evelyn adds:

Well, not me, but my mother's family perhaps. My maternal
grandparents were married on the day World War I started (July 28,
1914) and my mother was born on the day the United States entered
the war (April 6, 1917). [-ecl]

Kevin R writes:

Back when Things Were Normal, and I made small purchases
in person, I used to confound cashiers by replying to their
announcement of what I needed to pay with events from the matching
date.

Example:

C: "..and that's $10.66."
Me: "Battle of Hastings!"

or

C: "$17.89"
Me: "Geo Washington elected." OR
"The Bastille Falls!"

Every once in a great while, there would be a glimmer of
recognition.

I went through school, including a history BA, as the emphasis
for learning dates was being relaxed. As one of my old instructors
once remarked, it is less important to know the actual dates of key
events than it is to be able to put them in the correct order. It
helps if you know that the US settled on its current constitution
and elected its first President under that form of government just
as the monarchy was being threatened in France, even if one can
only approximate the dates. Same for knowing that our "War of
1812" was fought during the last years of the Napoleonic Wars.

I can remember having books as a kid that reproduced "timelines
of history" that allowed you to see at a glance which epic events
occurred contemporaneously.

I loves me some timelines.

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_timelines>

Keith replies:

By far the easiest way to put them in the correct order is to
assign sequential numbers to them, rather than memorizing a long
list of pairs of events along with which came first. If the
numbers are equally spaced in time, that also helps with realizing
just how close or how far apart two events are in time.

I enjoy collecting and sharing unexpected time ratios. For
instance Cleopatra, who ruled Egypt in the BC years, lived closer
to our time than to when the pyramids were built. The first
Tyrannosaur lived closer to the release date of JURASSIC PARK than
to the Jurassic.

GONE WITH THE WIND came out closer to the Civil War than to the
present; lots of Civil War veterans watched the movie. But one
actress who was in it died less than a year ago. Ironically, the
character she played died in the movie.

Abraham Lincoln and Charles Darwin were born on the same day.

There's a television interview of a witness to Lincoln's
assassination.

The American Revolution was closer to the present than to
Columbus's discovery of America.

The year of my alleged crime, France was still executing people
with the guillotine. The day I was arrested, Charlie Chaplin was
still alive, my landlord/housemate was not yet born, and Bill
Gates had been arrested the previous day.

Which happened first? The sinking of the Titanic or Robert
Scott's death on the way back from the South Pole? The answer is
that nobody knows; they were certainly within a few days of each
other.

The two deadliest transportation disasters of the 20th century in
DC, a plane crash and a completely unrelated Metrorail crash,
happened the same *hour*.

The deadliest pre-9/11 fire in US history wasn't the Chicago Fire,
but was an unrelated fire on the same day.

On the other hand, if events were in societies that had no contact
with each other, the order doesn't really matter. Can you name
who ruled China when Julius Caesar was assassinated? Can you even
name the ruling dynasty? I can't. I could look it up, but it
really doesn't matter, since those societies had no contact,
direct or indirect.

According to special relativity, events sufficiently distant from
each other in space and sufficiently close in time can't be put
into any definite order.

What really gets me is how different the lengths of the historical
timeline and the geological timeline are. More than a half
century ago, I found some fossils which, using a book, I correctly
dated to the Ordovician period. The time since the Ordovician is
to a half century what a half century is to about three minutes.
But the Ordovician was 97% of the way from the beginning of time
to the present.

I recommend the YouTube video "Timelapse of the Entire Universe,"
which compresses all of the past into exactly ten minutes.
Dinosaurs show up seven seconds before the end, and go extinct
three seconds before the end. The Pleistocene ice ages are near
the bottom of the last frame. All of recorded history, both BC
and AD, fits on the last scan line of the last frame.

There's a sequel to that video called "Timelapse of the Future."
It starts in 2019 at a speed of about one year per second, and
doubles in speed every five seconds. Earth is destroyed by the
sun after three minutes, after which the video runs for about
another half hour, continuing to double in speed every five
seconds. In other words, the future is enormously longer than the
past. But it's trivially easy to write a computer program that
will eventually end, but not before the furthest future time
depicted in that video.

Tim Merrigan demurs:

I think, and the <https://www.unrv.com/economy/silk.php> page
agrees with me, that while there was no direct contact between
China and Rome at the time of Julius Caesar's assassination, there
were Roman merchants dealing in silk, so that would be indirect
contact.

Paul Dormer notes:

If [the television interview of a witness to Lincoln's
assassination] was the nonagenarian appearing on the panel game
"I've Got a Secret", it's viewable on YouTube:
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RPoymt3Jx4>. [-pd]

And Evelyn adds:

I remember seeing that when it was first broadcast. [-ecl]

R. Looney writes:

Thanks [to Jim Susky] for the pointer [several months ago] to
Richard Rhodes' MAKING OF THE ATOMIC BOMB--fantastic. Carrying it
around, I call it The Doorstop, your nomenclature.

Your recent coverage of Midway movies reminds me of how Herman
Wouk first explained that battle to me, in WAR AND REMEMBRANCE;
but I think it's best described in the excellent 'berserker' essay
by Lee Sandlin from 1997: Losing The War
<http://www.leesandlin.com/articles/LosingTheWar.htm>. [-rl]

TOPIC: This Week's Reading (book and film comments by Evelyn
C. Leeper)

SUPERNOVA ERA by Cixin Liu (Tor, ISBN 978-1-250-30605-0) is not a
new book. It was published in China in 2004 and seems new because
it was not translated into English until 2019 (no doubt on the
strength of Liu's Hugo win for THE THREE-BODY PROBLEM in 2015). As
such, it is less polished than his later works, and has more
obvious flaws.

One flaw is the use of Big Quantum as a sort of "get-out-of-jail-
free" card, that gets them past the obvious problems of the first
few days of the Supernova Era, with no good explanation for its
existence, and then seems to disappear from the story. In this
regard, it is similar to the potatoes in THE MARTIAN, which also
are in the story because they are needed for the solution of a
problem, not because there is any good internal reason to have
them.

One could claim that the basic premise of SUPERNOVA ERA is also
similar to that of THE MARTIAN in that both are totally inaccurate
but necessary to get the plot going. In THE MARTIAN, the sandstorm
as described is scientifically impossible. In SUPERNOVA ERA, the
premise is that radiation from a supernova bathes the earth, and
the effect is that everyone over the age of thirteen dies of
chromosome damage, while the chromosomes of those under thirteen
are able to heal themselves. Even if one accepts the age-related
ability to heal, the notion of such a clear-cut division by age is
on a par with science fiction movies where 59 minutes 30 seconds of
radiation have no effect on the characters, but 60 minutes and 0
seconds kills them.

On a more basic level, the question of what a world populated
entirely by children would be like is basic to the story. Liu's
depiction, particularly Candytown and the Supernova War, has a
definite "Lord of the Flies" vibe. But that scenario is not
inevitable. In 1965, six boys from Tonga were shipwrecked on the
deserted island of Ata for fifteen months, and managed fairly well
without descending into violence. (See Rutger Bregman's
HUMANKIND.) Obviously, there are differences between a small group
stranded on an island where they might be rescued, and an entire
planet who have no hope of rescue.

On the other hand, the use of Big Quantum (and a fair amount of
hand-waving) makes the transition period much smoother than one
might expect. In both LORD OF THE FLIES and the Ata incident, the
children revert to a more primitive state. Indeed this is a
standard trope in post-apocalyptic fiction, and almost inevitable.
Can a much smaller and mostly randomly selected population maintain
a high-tech world? I find the idea that children could be trained
in a single year to carry on all the functions of the current
world, and even advance them, highly unlikely.

I know that stories such as this rely on the willing suspension of
disbelief, but somehow it is easier for me to suspend disbelief on
a clearly fantasy premise than a supposedly realistic but
ultimately inconsistent one.

There are also some simple errors. One example is when the
narrator says, "Ever since the purchase of Alaska and Hawaii, [the
United States] no longer expanded into new territory..."

Actually, this is not true. Alaska was purchased from Russia in
1867, but Hawaii was never purchased--it was just "annexed" in
1898. Puerto Rico, Guam, and the Philippines were acquired in 1899
as a result of the Spanish-American War. American Samoa was
annexed in 1900. The American Virgin Islands were purchased from
Denmark in 1917. The Northern Mariana Islands became territories
of the United States in 1986 by their own request. (One can, of
course, argue that the characters seem to have a skewed view of the
United States in general, but this is supposedly someone who has
studied it more.)

Another error is having New York City and Shanghai flooded like
Venice, but action going on in and around the White House, which
sits on the District of Columbia flood plain and would also be
submerged. Both of these are probably because the original copy
editing was done in China, and so these were not caught there.
[-ecl]

Mark Leeper
mle...@optonline.net

It is permissible with certain precautions to speak
in print of coitus, but it is not permissible to employ
the monosyllabic synonym for this word.
--Bertrand Russell

Kevrob

Jul 18, 2021, 4:03:11 PM7/18/21
On Sunday, July 18, 2021 at 10:09:28 AM UTC-4, ele...@optonline.net wrote:
> THE MT VOID
> Mt. Holz Science Fiction Society
> 07/16/21 -- Vol. 40, No. 3, Whole Number 2180

[snip]

> On a more basic level, the question of what a world populated
> entirely by children would be like is basic to the story. Liu's
> depiction, particularly Candytown and the Supernova War, has a
> definite "Lord of the Flies" vibe. But that scenario is not
> inevitable. In 1965, six boys from Tonga were shipwrecked on the
> deserted island of Ata for fifteen months, and managed fairly well
> without descending into violence. (See Rutger Bregman's
> HUMANKIND.) Obviously, there are differences between a small group
> stranded on an island where they might be rescued, and an entire
> planet who have no hope of rescue.

[snip]

There was a recent documentary on the Ata boys:

http://paradise.docastaway.com/six-tongan-castaways-ata-island-shipwreck-1965/

Trailers embedded there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaMwgCbelGc

https://youtu.be/88noN4PoJqc

CBS-TV did a feature on this, which, if the ad on FACE THE NATION was
accurate, will re-air on 60 MINUTES tonight.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/shipwreck-deserted-island-south-pacific-survivors-60-minutes-2021-04-04/

In the notes at the bottom of this page are links to older stories, some
from Australian TV.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tongan_castaways

> Another error is having New York City and Shanghai flooded like
> Venice, but action going on in and around the White House, which
> sits on the District of Columbia flood plain and would also be
> submerged. Both of these are probably because the original copy
> editing was done in China, and so these were not caught there.
> [-ecl]

Did they get KAMANDI comics in China?

https://www.comics.org/issue/25510/cover/4/

https://a.disquscdn.com/uploads/mediaembed/images/1122/2015/original.jpg

--
Kevin R

Scott Dorsey

Jul 18, 2021, 5:14:36 PM7/18/21
Fred Pohl's take on this in Starburst involves a lot of sandbags and much
of the government moving to a Holiday Inn in Roslyn as I recall.
--scott

Keith F. Lynch

Jul 18, 2021, 5:31:02 PM7/18/21
ele...@optonline.net wrote:
> Another error is having New York City and Shanghai flooded like
> Venice, but action going on in and around the White House, which
> sits on the District of Columbia flood plain and would also be
> submerged. Both of these are probably because the original copy
> editing was done in China, and so these were not caught there.

New York City and Shanghai are both on coasts. DC is inland. It
would be a simple matter to build a dam on the Potomac, downstream
of DC, with a built-in nuclear reactor dedicated to powering pumps
to keep the upstream Potomac's water level what it is today. This
project probably wouldn't cost more than a few billion dollars, a
negligible increase to the federal budget.
--
Keith F. Lynch - http://keithlynch.net/

Keith F. Lynch

Jul 18, 2021, 5:32:11 PM7/18/21
Scott Dorsey <klu...@panix.com> wrote:
> Fred Pohl's take on this in Starburst involves a lot of sandbags and
> much of the government moving to a Holiday Inn in Roslyn as I recall.

Rosslyn is just as low-lying as DC. (I used to live in Rosslyn.)

Gary McGath

Jul 18, 2021, 7:57:59 PM7/18/21
On 7/18/21 10:09 AM, ele...@optonline.net wrote:
> "Mudd's Women" is obviously sexist in a way that the other episodes
> could not be, but forty-plus years later, one of the first
> questions that arises is "What effect do these women (and the Venus
> Drug) have on the gay and lesbian crew?" It seems unlikely they
> would appeal to gay men, and given that the aura they project is
> designed to appeal to men, would it also attract women? (Since
> Spock is unaffected, that seems to indicate a pre-disposition is
> necessary.) For that matter, the whole process by which the Venus
> Drug works is pretty close to magic. Does it work through
> pheromones? Is it mind-altering? If you took a photo of a woman
> using it, what would the photograph show?

The Venus Drug fixed the women's hairdos. I never understood how it did
that.

--
Gary McGath http://www.mcgath.com

Dorothy J Heydt

Jul 18, 2021, 9:25:01 PM7/18/21
In article <sd2f66$gaj$1...@dont-email.me>,
And gave them a new coat of makeup.

--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California

Kevrob

Jul 18, 2021, 11:56:22 PM7/18/21
On Sunday, July 18, 2021 at 5:32:11 PM UTC-4, Keith F. Lynch wrote:
> Scott Dorsey <klu...@panix.com> wrote:
> > Fred Pohl's take on this in Starburst involves a lot of sandbags and
> > much of the government moving to a Holiday Inn in Roslyn as I recall.
> Rosslyn is just as low-lying as DC. (I used to live in Rosslyn.)
> --
1-S Roslyn is on Long Island, NY. Only 91 feet/30 metres of elevation
in that village on Long Island Sound. Neighboring villages may have
some hills up to 150 feet. LI North Shore towns tend to have bluffs
ringing their harbors.

New York's bay, the East River and the Hudson River could all rise,
and would only have to make 265 feet to inundate Washington Heights.
{280 feet in the Bronx, 258 ' in Queens, or 220' on "Battle Hill" in Brooklyn,

Todt Hill on Staten Island rises to 401 feet/122 m!

[quote]

It is the highest natural point in the five boroughs of New York City
and the highest elevation on the entire Atlantic coastal plain from
Florida to Cape Cod.

[/quote] - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todt_Hill

By comparison, 1 World Trade Center (The Freedom Tower)
rises to 1,776 feet - 1,792 to the tip. Empire State Bldg is
1,250 '/1.454' (380 m/443.2 m) Spires poking up from a drowned
metropolis would make sense, until the water weakened the
submerged footings of the buildings. I have no idea how long
that would take.

--
Kevin R

Keith F. Lynch

Jul 19, 2021, 12:12:55 AM7/19/21
Kevrob <kev...@my-deja.com> wrote:
> 1-S Roslyn is on Long Island, NY.

I apologize. I haven't read _Starburst_ since shortly after it
was published 39 years ago. So when you mentioned the government
moving to Roslyn, I mistakenly assumed you were misspelling Rosslyn,
Virginia, which is just across the river from DC. Iconic photos
that show the Lincoln Memorial in the foreground and the Washington
Monument and Capitol building behind it are all taken from Rosslyn.

Tim Merrigan

Jul 19, 2021, 8:09:53 AM7/19/21
It's secondary chemical mind control (of the men), through the
pheromones the women produce, along with a direct psychotropic effect
on the women taking it/to whom it's given, without their knowledge,
which boosts their self confidence.

The improved image of the women who have taken it, shown in the show,
is through the eyes, and minds, of the men effected by it.

It should improve the images of any women in the area, but improve it
more for the women who've taken it.
--

Qualified immuninity = vertual impunity.

Tim Merrigan

https://www.avg.com

Scott Dorsey

Jul 19, 2021, 7:47:20 PM7/19/21
Keith F. Lynch <k...@KeithLynch.net> wrote:
>Kevrob <kev...@my-deja.com> wrote:
>> 1-S Roslyn is on Long Island, NY.
>
>I apologize. I haven't read _Starburst_ since shortly after it
>was published 39 years ago. So when you mentioned the government
>moving to Roslyn, I mistakenly assumed you were misspelling Rosslyn,
>Virginia, which is just across the river from DC. Iconic photos
>that show the Lincoln Memorial in the foreground and the Washington
>Monument and Capitol building behind it are all taken from Rosslyn.

It was in fact Rossyln, VA. And no, it's not very much higher ground.
The Science Advisor points out that von Knefhausen's cell is below
water level and that he'll be drowned if the generator is shut off,

Peter Trei

Jul 19, 2021, 9:34:51 PM7/19/21
In reality, the government would have moved to The Greenbriar, in WV, but it's
existence was not public until 1992, just a bit too late.

Pt

Scott Dorsey

Jul 20, 2021, 11:23:54 AM7/20/21
Peter Trei <pete...@gmail.com> wrote:

>In reality, the government would have moved to The Greenbriar, in WV, but it's
>existence was not public until 1992, just a bit too late.

Good point, although that may have been enemy territory by that point. The United
States was a good bit less united by that time in Pohl's world.