ConJose planning

Mary Kay Kare

May 19, 2002, 4:54:34 PM5/19/02
I just found a page those of you planning on coming to ConJose might
like to know about
http://www.nciba.com/stores.html

Bookstores in northern California.

MKK

--
"Words are the hands of the mind"
Graydon Saunders on rec. arts.sf.fandom

Sue Mason

May 19, 2002, 5:14:16 PM5/19/02
On Sun, 19 May 2002 20:54:34 GMT, mar...@kare.ws (Mary Kay Kare)
wrote:

>I just found a page those of you planning on coming to ConJose might
>like to know about
>http://www.nciba.com/stores.html
>
>Bookstores in northern California.
>
>MKK

I relayed the idea of the trip to the chocolate factory to Steve and
Giulia.

Steven echoed my response of Yum!
Giulia, who is on that weird no carb diet (it's got her to loose about
four stone so it can't be all bad but any diet when I can't eat as
much fruit and veg as I want wouldn't be right for me) was less
enthusiastic.

We (Steve & Giulia and I) are planning on a few days in SF and area
before the con, any suggestions, volunteers, fannish trips would be
gratefully accepted.
Particularly if they involve sushi, fabric or technology (I'm into
sushi, Giulia fabric and Steve tech, of course but we are Plokta Cabal
members, so we are flexible on this).

Oh, I am so looking forward to Con Jose!

Mary Kay Kare

May 19, 2002, 7:21:52 PM5/19/02
MAILED NOT POSTED

Sue Mason <s...@arctic-fox.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

> I relayed the idea of the trip to the chocolate factory to Steve and
> Giulia.
>
> Steven echoed my response of Yum!
> Giulia, who is on that weird no carb diet (it's got her to loose about
> four stone so it can't be all bad but any diet when I can't eat as
> much fruit and veg as I want wouldn't be right for me) was less
> enthusiastic.
>
> We (Steve & Giulia and I) are planning on a few days in SF and area
> before the con, any suggestions, volunteers, fannish trips would be
> gratefully accepted.
> Particularly if they involve sushi, fabric or technology (I'm into
> sushi, Giulia fabric and Steve tech, of course but we are Plokta Cabal
> members, so we are flexible on this).
>
> Oh, I am so looking forward to Con Jose!

Okay, so I'll put Steve down for a tour. When will you be arriving and
where staying? There's Britex in the city (uh, that's San Francisco)
for Giulia and I can get some other more obscure recommendations from my
fabrically inclined friends. But I'll have to ask around about sushi
and tech...

Carol Flynt

May 19, 2002, 7:33:16 PM5/19/02

Mary Kay Kare wrote:

> MAILED NOT POSTED
>
> Sue Mason <s...@arctic-fox.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > I relayed the idea of the trip to the chocolate factory to Steve and
> > Giulia.

Clif and I would be interested in sushi. And chocolate.
(Not fabrics, though.) Definitely bookstores. If there
isn't a specific outing to Grey Wolf, I'm sure I can
talk either Kathy Mar or my hostess after the con to
take us there.

We plan on arriving Wed night, and stay at least one, if not
two weeks, after the con.

Unless my Mom creates other plans.

Carol Flynt

Mary Kay Kare

May 19, 2002, 7:32:21 PM5/19/02
Mary Kay Kare <mar...@kare.ws> wrote:

> MAILED NOT POSTED

Well, no it wasn't. Sorry about that.

Mary Kay Kare

May 19, 2002, 7:34:01 PM5/19/02
Carol Flynt <ca...@cflynt.com> wrote:

> Mary Kay Kare wrote:
>

> > Sue Mason <s...@arctic-fox.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > > I relayed the idea of the trip to the chocolate factory to Steve and
> > > Giulia.
>
> Clif and I would be interested in sushi. And chocolate.
> (Not fabrics, though.) Definitely bookstores. If there
> isn't a specific outing to Grey Wolf, I'm sure I can
> talk either Kathy Mar or my hostess after the con to
> take us there.
>
> We plan on arriving Wed night, and stay at least one, if not
> two weeks, after the con.

Well, shoot. I'm planning the chocolate tour for Wednesday at 1pm.
Want the url so you can make your own plans? And why doncha ever call
us when you're out here

Douglas Berry

May 19, 2002, 8:18:37 PM5/19/02
On Sun, 19 May 2002 23:21:52 GMT, a wanderer, known to us only as
mar...@kare.ws (Mary Kay Kare) warmed at our fire and told this
tale:

>Okay, so I'll put Steve down for a tour. When will you be arriving and
>where staying? There's Britex in the city (uh, that's San Francisco)
>for Giulia and I can get some other more obscure recommendations from my
>fabrically inclined friends. But I'll have to ask around about sushi
>and tech...

Were taking our friends to La Fondue. Molten cheese for dinner, molten
chocolate for desert.

--

Douglas E. Berry grid...@mindspring.com
http://gridlore.home.mindspring.com/

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as
when they do it from religious conviction."
Blaise Pascal (1623-1662), Pense'es, #894.

Gary Mattingly

May 19, 2002, 8:35:20 PM5/19/02
On Sun, 19 May 2002 22:14:16 +0100, Sue Mason
<s...@arctic-fox.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>On Sun, 19 May 2002 20:54:34 GMT, mar...@kare.ws (Mary Kay Kare)
>wrote:

>We (Steve & Giulia and I) are planning on a few days in SF and area
>before the con, any suggestions, volunteers, fannish trips would be
>gratefully accepted.
>Particularly if they involve sushi, fabric or technology (I'm into
>sushi, Giulia fabric and Steve tech, of course but we are Plokta Cabal
>members, so we are flexible on this).

Exploratorium in San Francisco can be fun. I understand the Tech
Museum in San Jose is entertaining but I haven't been there, despite
having a membership for two years ( silly me ). I feel this horrible
urge to say something about people in the Bay Area and tech talk
but can't come up with anything witty. I have yet to hear a good
joke about noise reduction, capacitance and inductance with
respect to a large microprocessor running at 1 to 2+ GHz. Of
course my ability to tell a joke is very near non-existent.

Oh, of course you could always go to any of the Fry's Electronics
store. I try not to go very often. Temptation, evil temptation.

Have fun,

Gary Mattingly

Evelyn C. Leeper

May 19, 2002, 10:25:56 PM5/19/02
Mary Kay Kare wrote:

> I just found a page those of you planning on coming to ConJose might
> like to know about
> http://www.nciba.com/stores.html
>
> Bookstores in northern California.

Also http://www.geocities.com/evelynleeper/na-bay-s.htm (San Francisco
and north),
http://www.geocities.com/evelynleeper/na-bay-p.htm (Peninsula), and
http://www.geocities.com/evelynleeper/na-bay-b.htm (Berkeley and
Oakland).

--
Evelyn C. Leeper
http://www.geocities.com/evelynleeper

Lucy Kemnitzer

May 19, 2002, 10:39:42 PM5/19/02
wrote:

>I just found a page those of you planning on coming to ConJose might

>like to know about
>http://www.nciba.com/stores.html
>
>Bookstores in northern California.

For a little while I have been thinking that I really owe anybody who
wants it a quick tour of the redwoods at Big Basin, or maybe Castle
Rock, or else a jaunt to the elephant seals (there will be one or two
even in the summer) at Ano Nuevo or maybe San Gregorio or Bean Hollow
Beach -- all of those are within about 30-45 minutes' drive of the
convention, and involve short, easy walks and the kind of landscapes
I'm always yammering about. If anybody wants to take me up on it,
let's talk about it in advance -- I never go to those places from
that direction normally so I'll have to (sigh) do some scouting during
the summer if we're not to get utterly lost and befuddled (please
don't throw me in that briar patch!).

It's 45 minutes to an hour to _my_ side of the hill, and that weekend
is notoriously busy over here, being the last big family weekend of
the summer, but if anybody wants to brave it, my block is convenient
walking distance from the Beach Boardwalk and downtown Santa Cruz
(Bookshop Santa Cruz, Logos, the Literary Guillotine, a couple of
music stores, a Borders, and three hundred independent coffee shops,
not to mention tschotschkes. And, of course, chocolate, some of which
is locally made).

Lucy Kemnitzer

Mary Kay Kare

May 20, 2002, 2:34:06 AM5/20/02
Lucy Kemnitzer <rit...@cruzio.com> wrote:

> For a little while I have been thinking that I really owe anybody who
> wants it a quick tour of the redwoods at Big Basin, or maybe Castle
> Rock, or else a jaunt to the elephant seals (there will be one or two
> even in the summer) at Ano Nuevo or maybe San Gregorio or Bean Hollow
> Beach -- all of those are within about 30-45 minutes' drive of the
> convention, and involve short, easy walks and the kind of landscapes
> I'm always yammering about. If anybody wants to take me up on it,
> let's talk about it in advance -- I never go to those places from
> that direction normally so I'll have to (sigh) do some scouting during
> the summer if we're not to get utterly lost and befuddled (please
> don't throw me in that briar patch!).

Maybe I could help with scouting? The first half of June is good...

Jay Denebeim

May 20, 2002, 6:53:52 PM5/20/02
In article <sbggeuc47h7ibt98i...@4ax.com>,
Gary Mattingly <gsmat...@attbi.com> wrote:

>Oh, of course you could always go to any of the Fry's Electronics
>store. I try not to go very often. Temptation, evil temptation.

Yes, I've been out of Phoenix less than a month and I'm already really
missing Frys. Raleigh is rather a technological desert, of course
Phoenix is as well, but in a good way.

Anyway, I started carrying my palm again, so against my better
judgement I went into *SPIT* best buy's *SPIT*. My previous two trips
there were to be lied to about the existance of a serial port on a
computer I wanted to buy and a restocking fee instead of an apology
for the lie the second time. ( I ended up keeping the machine and
spending too much money elsewhere on a USB<->many ports I didn't need,
but including a serial port that worked, but was a pain because it
switched com ports every time I rebooted it. Then spending half that
much again for an over priced, but perfectly functional USB<>serial
port from DeLorme)

This time around they sold me a case for my palm that said it was for
my palm, but when I put the palm into the case it busted the LCD on
it.

BEST BUY SUCKS ROCKS. AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

Jay
--
* Jay Denebeim Moderator rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated *
* newsgroup submission address: b5...@deepthot.org *

Timothy A. McDaniel

May 20, 2002, 7:48:25 PM5/20/02
In article <sbggeuc47h7ibt98i...@4ax.com>,
Gary Mattingly <gsmat...@attbi.com> wrote:
>Oh, of course you could always go to any of the Fry's Electronics
>store. I try not to go very often. Temptation, evil temptation.

The local Fry's (Austin, TX) searches bags upon exit. At Altex
Electronics (Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, Corpus Christi, Houston),
I can carry my own bag in and out. Altex gave me full refunds and
exchanges for things even after the nominal expiration dates of
warrantees and even when it wasn't clear that it was their fault or
any fault at all (in retrospect, I probably just wasn't inserting the
memory DIMM correctly, not that it was intrinsically unseatable; I
zorched the motherboard myself when trying to remove disk drives), or
even when nothing is wrong (buying as a form of getting a loaner video
card). Altex has given me excellent tech support over the phone; I've
hit only salesdroids at Fry's. I buy from Altex with complete
confidence, knowing that if anything goes wrong or even if I just
change my mind, I can get help and/or a full refund.

(I have no financial interest in Altex, except that they've sucked far
too much money out of my wallet.)

--
Tim McDaniel is tm...@jump.net; if that fail,
tm...@us.ibm.com is my work account.

Matt Austern

May 21, 2002, 12:38:23 AM5/21/02
rit...@cruzio.com (Lucy Kemnitzer) writes:

> On Sun, 19 May 2002 20:54:34 GMT, mar...@kare.ws (Mary Kay Kare)
> wrote:
>
> >I just found a page those of you planning on coming to ConJose might
> >like to know about
> >http://www.nciba.com/stores.html
> >
> >Bookstores in northern California.
> >

> For a little while I have been thinking that I really owe anybody who
> wants it a quick tour of the redwoods at Big Basin, or maybe Castle
> Rock, or else a jaunt to the elephant seals (there will be one or two
> even in the summer) at Ano Nuevo or maybe San Gregorio or Bean Hollow
> Beach -- all of those are within about 30-45 minutes' drive of the
> convention, and involve short, easy walks and the kind of landscapes
> I'm always yammering about.

Ooh, beautiful places all!

My sister in law is a docent at Ano Noevo, and I've been on one of her
private tours. Elephant seals are very strange beasts; there are some
things about their reproductive cycle that would be very hard to
believe if someone had written them as aliens.

Irina Rempt

May 21, 2002, 1:09:06 AM5/21/02
On Tuesday 21 May 2002 06:38 Matt Austern wrote:

> Elephant seals are very strange beasts; there are some
> things about their reproductive cycle that would be very hard to
> believe if someone had written them as aliens.

Do tell!

Irina

--
Vesta veran, terna puran, farenin. http://www.valdyas.org/irina

Dave Weingart

May 21, 2002, 10:41:03 AM5/21/02
One day in Teletubbyland, dene...@deepthot.org (Jay Denebeim) said:
>BEST BUY SUCKS ROCKS. AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

It is, however, one of the reliable sources of blank minidisks.

--
73 de Dave Weingart KA2ESK Quinze Filk Festival (15th UK Filkcon)
mailto:phyd...@liii.com Feb 7-9,2003, Ipswich, England

Beth Friedman

May 21, 2002, 12:14:59 PM5/21/02
On Tue, 21 May 2002 14:41:03 +0000 (UTC), phyd...@liii.com (Dave
Weingart), <acdm9v$9gg$1...@eri0.s8.isp.nyc.eggn.net>, wrote:

>One day in Teletubbyland, dene...@deepthot.org (Jay Denebeim) said:
>>BEST BUY SUCKS ROCKS. AVOID AT ALL COSTS.
>
>It is, however, one of the reliable sources of blank minidisks.

And Series 2 TiVos.

Actually, I have mixed feelings about Best Buy. Their prices seem to
be good, but their sales help are totally clueless. They're okay if
you know what you want to buy already.

I've started going to Circuit City when I need a bit more direction.
The prices are comparable, and their staff are generally quite
helpful. Oh, and people actually answer the phone if you call them
and provide real answers, so you can find out if they carry the Nokia
phone charger for the particular cell phone you use before you drive
down there in the 91-degree heat in a car with no air conditioning.

--
Beth Friedman
b...@wavefront.com

Jordin Kare

May 26, 2002, 11:48:00 AM5/26/02
Gary Mattingly <gsmat...@attbi.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 19 May 2002 22:14:16 +0100, Sue Mason
> <s...@arctic-fox.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 19 May 2002 20:54:34 GMT, mar...@kare.ws (Mary Kay Kare)
> >wrote:

> >We (Steve & Giulia and I) are planning on a few days in SF and area
> >before the con, any suggestions, volunteers, fannish trips would be
> >gratefully accepted.
> >Particularly if they involve sushi, fabric or technology (I'm into
> >sushi, Giulia fabric and Steve tech, of course but we are Plokta Cabal
> >members, so we are flexible on this).
> >
> Exploratorium in San Francisco can be fun. I understand the Tech
> Museum in San Jose is entertaining but I haven't been there, despite
> having a membership for two years ( silly me ). I feel this horrible
> urge to say something about people in the Bay Area and tech talk
> but can't come up with anything witty. I have yet to hear a good
> joke about noise reduction, capacitance and inductance with
> respect to a large microprocessor running at 1 to 2+ GHz.

Three microprocessors walk into a karaoke bar. One immediately walks
back out because the music is too loud, and is picked up by a press
gang. The second gets into a drinking contest and ends up emptying its
buffers all over the floor. The third, though, after a couple of
drinks, goes on stage, and sounds so good that it gets offered a job
performing for a major rental car company...

Oh, you said a *good* joke. Nevermind.

Jordin (Noise reduction, inductance, capacity, and a gig@Hertz) Kare

Kip Williams

May 26, 2002, 12:38:24 PM5/26/02

A diode is collecting tickets from some transistors on a train.
Hearing something, he grabs a seat for safety, just as the train
goes over a rough junction that causes the transistors to fall out
of their seat. "You silly cone! Are you doped or something? Why
didn't you tell us that was going to happen?"

The diode explained, "Sorry, I'm only a semiconductor."

So they shot the giraffe.

--
--Kip (Williams) ...at members.cox.net/kipw
"Well, it looks as though my time is up. The old clock on the wall

Kip Williams

May 26, 2002, 12:40:11 PM5/26/02
Kip Williams wrote:

> A diode is collecting tickets from some transistors on a train.[2]

> Hearing something, he grabs a seat for safety, just as the train
> goes over a rough junction that causes the transistors to fall out
> of their seat. "You silly cone! Are you doped or something? Why
> didn't you tell us that was going to happen?"
>
> The diode explained, "Sorry, I'm only a semiconductor."
>
> So they shot the giraffe.

[1] What are you looking at?
[2] They were train sisters.

Wait, what was it he said again? Oh, never mind.

Neil Belsky

May 26, 2002, 2:22:36 PM5/26/02
"Jordin Kare" <jtk...@attglobal.net> wrote in message

> Three microprocessors walk into a karaoke bar. One immediately walks
> back out because the music is too loud, and is picked up by a press
> gang. The second gets into a drinking contest and ends up emptying its
> buffers all over the floor. The third, though, after a couple of
> drinks, goes on stage, and sounds so good that it gets offered a job
> performing for a major rental car company...
>
> Oh, you said a *good* joke. Nevermind.
>
> Jordin (Noise reduction, inductance, capacity, and a gig@Hertz) Kare

"The third, though after a couple of drinks, goes on stage, and sounds so
good, and finishes so quickly he's offered a job doing a gig at a rental
car company."

Never leave 'em with only half a groan.

Neil
--
"Dear Anna,
I miss you very much.

Theodore Sturgeon

Matt Austern

May 28, 2002, 11:24:17 PM5/28/02
Gary Mattingly <gsmat...@attbi.com> writes:

> On Sun, 19 May 2002 22:14:16 +0100, Sue Mason
> <s...@arctic-fox.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 19 May 2002 20:54:34 GMT, mar...@kare.ws (Mary Kay Kare)
> >wrote:

> >We (Steve & Giulia and I) are planning on a few days in SF and area
> >before the con, any suggestions, volunteers, fannish trips would be
> >gratefully accepted.
> >Particularly if they involve sushi, fabric or technology (I'm into
> >sushi, Giulia fabric and Steve tech, of course but we are Plokta Cabal
> >members, so we are flexible on this).
> >
> Exploratorium in San Francisco can be fun. I understand the Tech
> Museum in San Jose is entertaining but I haven't been there, despite
> having a membership for two years ( silly me ).

Not nearly as entertaining as the Exploratorium, I'm afraid. The one
time I went to the Tech, I found it pretty disappointing: lots of
expensive computer equipment, but the exhibits just didn't seem all
that creative. The basic problem, I think, is that the museum
identifies itself too closely with Silicon Valley. Too many exhibits
seemed like glossy four-color marketing; they just aren't as fun as
the Tactile Dome or the artificial geysers.

Lucy Kemnitzer

May 29, 2002, 12:04:31 AM5/29/02
On Wed, 29 May 2002 03:24:17 GMT, Matt Austern <aus...@well.com>
wrote:

I went to the Tech soon after it first opened and as far as I could
tell it was nothing but blatant and open marketing of local tech
enterprises. The museum part, the explanation and exploration part,
were almost not there at all.

I understand however that it has much improved as a museum. My
daughter has signed up for the Tech Museum field trip in her science
camp this summer, so I'll get her to report.

On the fabric front: Britex is amazing, but pricey: on the other side
of the bay, Poppy is more amazing and less pricey, and Stonemountain
Daughters is worth a trip over the hill for us (we've done it three
times -- I mean driving to Berkeley just to go to Stonemountain
Daughters).

Matt is right about the Exploratorium. That's a high priority place
to visit. Hmm, I haven't been in a long time . . .

Lucy Kemnitzer

Matt Austern

May 29, 2002, 1:32:41 AM5/29/02
rit...@cruzio.com (Lucy Kemnitzer) writes:

> Matt is right about the Exploratorium. That's a high priority place
> to visit. Hmm, I haven't been in a long time . . .

It's a very fannish place! I think I know four fans who work there.
(Three of whom were at Wiscon this last weekend.)

Fibbing Munchausen

May 29, 2002, 8:48:33 AM5/29/02
Do you know the way to Con Jose?

BM

Baron Munchausen
Today I'm Fibbing for bad 1970s pop music

SFcrowsnest.com
http://www.SFcrownest.com
The science fiction & fantasy magazine
where the staff are so F%$£$% fat, they
have to get air-lifted into the bath.

Lucy Kemnitzer

May 29, 2002, 10:19:56 AM5/29/02
On 29 May 2002 05:48:33 -0700, fibbingm...@hotmail.com (Fibbing
Munchausen) wrote:

>Do you know the way to Con Jose?

Yes, why do you ask?

(it doesn't involve topquoting)

Lucy Kemnitzer

Douglas Berry

May 29, 2002, 11:40:28 AM5/29/02
On 29 May 2002 05:48:33 -0700, a wanderer, known to us only as
fibbingm...@hotmail.com (Fibbing Munchausen) warmed at our fire
and told this tale:

>Do you know the way to Con Jose?

I'm sorry, but we have to kill you now.

Doug, a San Jose native.

Douglas Berry

May 29, 2002, 11:41:53 AM5/29/02
On Wed, 29 May 2002 03:24:17 GMT, a wanderer, known to us only as Matt
Austern <aus...@well.com> warmed at our fire and told this tale:

>Not nearly as entertaining as the Exploratorium, I'm afraid. The one
>time I went to the Tech, I found it pretty disappointing: lots of
>expensive computer equipment, but the exhibits just didn't seem all
>that creative. The basic problem, I think, is that the museum
>identifies itself too closely with Silicon Valley. Too many exhibits
>seemed like glossy four-color marketing; they just aren't as fun as
>the Tactile Dome or the artificial geysers.

We went last year, and it has improved. The earthquake simulator was
a must-see for visitors from areas that don't get tremors. We had our
friends ride out the Loma Prieta quake.

Kate Schaefer

May 29, 2002, 2:16:49 PM5/29/02
"Lucy Kemnitzer" <rit...@cruzio.com> wrote in message

Cabal

[snipping to get straight to the fabric, but leaving in the Exploratorium
endorsement, because it may be the coolest museum in the world]

> On the fabric front: Britex is amazing, but pricey: on the other side
> of the bay, Poppy is more amazing and less pricey, and Stonemountain
> Daughters is worth a trip over the hill for us (we've done it three
> times -- I mean driving to Berkeley just to go to Stonemountain
> Daughters).
>
> Matt is right about the Exploratorium. That's a high priority place
> to visit. Hmm, I haven't been in a long time . . .

Stonemountain and Daughter is terrific, both for fabric and for buttons.
Freddie Baer and Ellen Klages, separately, have taken me to Mendel's at
Haight-Ashbury in San Francisco, which has everything you need for the
drag queen who quilts, stamps, paints, or makes books by hand.

My vote for the most amazing fabric store in the Bay Area goes to Kasuri
Dyeworks in Berkeley. It's practically a museum of classic Japanese
fabric weaving and dying. Cotton and silk, brocade, ikat, sashiko,
shibori, cut-paper stencils, books about all of the above. If the
proprietor is in the store rather than in Japan, he'll give you a lecture
on whatever you ask about or about whatever's at the top of his head.
Listen to him. He's been a textile curator at museums, and his selection
criteria for the store are very, very high.

Mmmm. Except for the money part and the traveling to the Bay Area part,
I'm ready to shop now. Guess I'll sew instead.

Linda McAllister

May 29, 2002, 3:09:54 PM5/29/02
Kate Schaefer wrote:

> "Lucy Kemnitzer" <rit...@cruzio.com> wrote in message
>

> [snipping to get straight to the fabric, but leaving in the Exploratorium
> endorsement, because it may be the coolest museum in the world]
>
> > On the fabric front: Britex is amazing, but pricey: on the other side
> > of the bay, Poppy is more amazing and less pricey, and Stonemountain
> > Daughters is worth a trip over the hill for us (we've done it three
> > times -- I mean driving to Berkeley just to go to Stonemountain
> > Daughters).
> >
> > Matt is right about the Exploratorium. That's a high priority place
> > to visit. Hmm, I haven't been in a long time . . .
>
> Stonemountain and Daughter is terrific, both for fabric and for buttons.
> Freddie Baer and Ellen Klages, separately, have taken me to Mendel's at
> Haight-Ashbury in San Francisco, which has everything you need for the
> drag queen who quilts, stamps, paints, or makes books by hand.
>
> My vote for the most amazing fabric store in the Bay Area goes to Kasuri
> Dyeworks in Berkeley. It's practically a museum of classic Japanese
> fabric weaving and dying. Cotton and silk, brocade, ikat, sashiko,
> shibori, cut-paper stencils, books about all of the above. If the
> proprietor is in the store rather than in Japan, he'll give you a lecture
> on whatever you ask about or about whatever's at the top of his head.
> Listen to him. He's been a textile curator at museums, and his selection
> criteria for the store are very, very high.
>
> Mmmm. Except for the money part and the traveling to the Bay Area part,
> I'm ready to shop now. Guess I'll sew instead.

Not easily accessible without a car but worth a visit is Exotic Silks
in Los Altos: raw silk noil for the price of muslin. For cottons,
Carolea's Knitche in a strip mall in Sunnyvale is IMHO the best in the
area. There's a new place in Milpitas I haven't been to yet, but when
I talked to the proprietor last fall she was leaning towards the
exotic. There's an outlet in a dingy building on 3rd in SF that
usually has decent velvets.

Sounds like an organized expedition is called for. Remember that it
can take an hour at least to get from San Jose to Oakland if traffic
is good, Berkeley is even further, and there is no parking in San
Francisco.

What I need now for Westercon, though, are recommendations for fabric
stores in LA.

linda

Kip Williams

May 29, 2002, 6:37:32 PM5/29/02

Because he missed the other time(s) the joke was made in this group,
I'd guess.

Marilee J. Layman

May 29, 2002, 11:31:03 PM5/29/02
On 29 May 2002 18:16:49 GMT, "Kate Schaefer" <ka...@oz.net> wrote:

>My vote for the most amazing fabric store in the Bay Area goes to Kasuri
>Dyeworks in Berkeley. It's practically a museum of classic Japanese
>fabric weaving and dying. Cotton and silk, brocade, ikat, sashiko,
>shibori, cut-paper stencils, books about all of the above.

http://www.kasuridyeworks.com/

I keep looking at the fabrics, but then I remind myself I can't sew
anymore.

--
Marilee J. Layman
Bali Sterling Beads at Wholesale

Kate Schaefer

May 30, 2002, 12:16:02 AM5/30/02
"Marilee J. Layman" <mjla...@erols.com> wrote in message

> On 29 May 2002 18:16:49 GMT, "Kate Schaefer" <ka...@oz.net> wrote:
>
> >My vote for the most amazing fabric store in the Bay Area goes to
Kasuri
> >Dyeworks in Berkeley. It's practically a museum of classic Japanese
> >fabric weaving and dying. Cotton and silk, brocade, ikat, sashiko,
> >shibori, cut-paper stencils, books about all of the above.
>
> http://www.kasuridyeworks.com/
>
> I keep looking at the fabrics, but then I remind myself I can't sew
> anymore.

I have a tiny piece of double-sided katazone that I take out and look at
every once in a while. It has one pattern on one side, and another on the
other, all done with meticulous hand-control of the dyeing process.

Lucy Kemnitzer

May 30, 2002, 12:27:53 AM5/30/02
On Wed, 29 May 2002 23:31:03 -0400, Marilee J. Layman
<mjla...@erols.com> wrote:

>On 29 May 2002 18:16:49 GMT, "Kate Schaefer" <ka...@oz.net> wrote:
>
>>My vote for the most amazing fabric store in the Bay Area goes to Kasuri
>>Dyeworks in Berkeley. It's practically a museum of classic Japanese
>>fabric weaving and dying. Cotton and silk, brocade, ikat, sashiko,
>>shibori, cut-paper stencils, books about all of the above.
>
>http://www.kasuridyeworks.com/
>
>I keep looking at the fabrics, but then I remind myself I can't sew
>anymore.

I can almost not sew anymore. I mean, I can, but not very well, and I
pay for it if I do anything much. But I still buy fabric now and then
when I have periods of madness. Or when I rationalize it that my
daughter, who can do anything at all with her hands, much like I could
when I was her age, is going to do a project with it.

What scares me is this. My mother had a touch of hand trouble in
later life, and complained of clumsiness before that, though she had
been an artist when she was young. My daughter gets pains in her
wrists sometimes when she does certain things. I can't get the
doctors or her to take it seriously. Nobody seems to get it when I
say "her hands are like mine and my mother's, isn't there anything we
can do to preserve them?"

Lucy Kemnitzer

Fibbing Munchausen

May 30, 2002, 3:14:15 AM5/30/02
Douglas Berry <grid...@mindspring.com> wrote in message news:<git9fukustivmbtsg...@4ax.com>...

> On 29 May 2002 05:48:33 -0700, a wanderer, known to us only as
> fibbingm...@hotmail.com (Fibbing Munchausen) warmed at our fire
> and told this tale:
>
> >Do you know the way to Con Jose?
>
> I'm sorry, but we have to kill you now.
>
> Doug, a San Jose native.

If you're going to kill me, make it quick, old chap, I've got a Kylie
Minogue concert to get to.

BM

Baron Munchausen
Today I'm Fibbing for your granny

Carol Flynt

May 30, 2002, 8:01:21 PM5/30/02

Graydon wrote:

> In <3cf5a975...@cnews.newsguy.com>,
> Lucy Kemnitzer <rit...@cruzio.com> onsendan:

> > What scares me is this. My mother had a touch of hand trouble in
> > later life, and complained of clumsiness before that, though she had
> > been an artist when she was young. My daughter gets pains in her
> > wrists sometimes when she does certain things. I can't get the
> > doctors or her to take it seriously. Nobody seems to get it when I
> > say "her hands are like mine and my mother's, isn't there anything we
> > can do to preserve them?"
>

> Why won't she take it seriously?
>
> If it's a tendency to RSI problems, there isn't likely anything you
> _can_ do other than good work habits and exercise.

Lucy, if it *is* RSI, do seek out advice from a physical therapist or
massage therapist.

There are exercises (isometric and other) that can help you stretch
the tendons. Two really good ones:

extend arm from shoulder straight out in front of your body,
horizontal to the floor. Turn your hand up at the wrist,
palm out, like a traffic cop stopping traffic. With your other
hand at the palm side of the extended arm, push your
fingers back towards your shoulder. You'll feel the
stretch from your wrist along the bottom of your arm
towards the elbow. Hold until you no longer feel the
stretch (can be as long as 3 minutes.)

Same as above, only turn your wrist down, so the palm
faces your body. With the other hand along the outside
of the extended hand, push your fingers towards
your body, as you did above. This time you'll feel
the stretch along the top of your arm, from the wrist
towards the elbow. Hold until you no longer feel the
stretch.

These stretches will lenghten the tendons, decreasing a tendency
to tendenitis, which can cause/aggravate RSI.

Good luck.

Carol (in PT to learn how to walk all over again to solve chronic
back and hip pain.) Flynt