Hal Clement centennial

Gary McGath

May 28, 2022, 2:18:32 PM5/28/22
Monday, May 30, will be the 100th birthday of Harry Stubbs, better known
to the public as Hal Clement or occasionally as George Richard.

In addition to being a noteworthy author, he was one of the most
pleasant guests at SF conventions and did good presentations. On one
occasion -- I think it was a Philcon -- he and I were headed to the
restaurant at the same time and had dinner together. We just talked like
a couple of fans.

He was well known to NESFA, which re-published several of his works.

--
Gary McGath http://www.mcgath.com

Keith F. Lynch

May 31, 2022, 10:21:31 PM5/31/22
Gary McGath <ga...@REMOVEmcgathREMOVE.com> wrote:
> Monday, May 30, will be the 100th birthday of Harry Stubbs, better
> known to the public as Hal Clement or occasionally as George Richard.

> In addition to being a noteworthy author, he was one of the most
> pleasant guests at SF conventions and did good presentations. On
> one occasion -- I think it was a Philcon -- he and I were headed to
> the restaurant at the same time and had dinner together. We just
> talked like a couple of fans.

I agree. I too shared a meal with him. He let me have his broccoli,
as he didn't like that vegetable.

He was among the hardest of hard SF authors. Half a century after
writing _Mission of Gravity_, he was still apologizing for getting the
shape of the planet wrong.

> He was well known to NESFA, which re-published several of his works.

Including at least one that I had never seen anywhere else. I don't
recall the title, but it was about a small billion-year-old AI.
--
Keith F. Lynch - http://keithlynch.net/