A con chair actually apologizes

Gary McGath

May 30, 2022, 6:25:07 AMMay 30
Does anyone know more about the treatment of Stephanie Burke at
Balticon? The con chair actually apologized for how she was treated,
which is virtually unprecedented. All I have right now is one article:

https://file770.com/balticon-chair-apologizes-after-author-stephanie-burke-removed-from-panels/

I am utterly heartbroken at how events have played out
at Balticon this year with our panelist, Stephanie Burke.
Ms. Burke has been a long-time panelist and we have
invited her back year after year because of her engaging
commentary and insightful additions to our programming.

An incident was reported to us regarding Ms. Burke. The
plan was to quietly ask her to step down from her panels
for the weekend while we had a chance to investigate.
However, an overzealous volunteer decided to remove her
from an ongoing panel in a way that caused her
embarrassment. This is inexcusable and we deeply
apologize.

The more usual statement from con chairs is, "This person said something
which is so utterly offensive that I can't tell you what it was, so I
expect you to believe me without evidence. This irredeemably evil person
is henceforth banned from participating in our activities, mentioning
us, or thinking about us. The same applies to anyone who disputes this
fatwa."

SFWA took a lot of heat for its treatment of Mercedes Lackey. Is it
possible things are just starting to move away from the situation where
SF organizations can declare people pariahs and go unchallenged?

As I said, I know nothing about the particulars of this case, but the
apology is extraordinary.

--
Gary McGath http://www.mcgath.com

Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha

May 30, 2022, 1:07:03 PMMay 30
Gary McGath <ga...@REMOVEmcgathREMOVE.com> wrote in

> SFWA took a lot of heat for its treatment of Mercedes Lackey. Is
> it possible things are just starting to move away from the
> situation where SF organizations can declare people pariahs and
> go unchallenged?

We have reached the point where the people the woke left actually
disagree with have realized there's really no reason to give a shit
about what they're yammering over. Since the "canceling" isn't about
the person being attacked, or anything they've said or done, but
rather, it's about the attacker feeling important, if the target
doesn't react, there's no enjoyment. (Yes, that's *exactly* how all
bullies work. Ignore them, and they do, eventually, go away.)

Since they are addicted to their outrage, they *have* to have
*someone* to attack (and get a reaction from), and when the
ideological "other side" won't play, they're starting to feed on
their own.

The smart ones are figuring it out.

--
Terry Austin

Lynn:
(May 2019 total for people arrested for entering the United States
illegally is over 132,000 for just the southwest border.)

Vacation photos from Iceland:

Ninapenda Jibini

May 31, 2022, 1:15:18 AMMay 31
Someone Else <someon...@example.com.invalid> wrote in

> In Message-ID:<t72622$34cab$1...@dont-email.me>,
> Gary McGath <ga...@REMOVEmcgathREMOVE.com> wrote:
>
>> An incident was reported to us regarding Ms. Burke. The
>> plan was to quietly ask her to step down from her panels
>> for the weekend while we had a chance to investigate.
>> However, an overzealous volunteer decided to remove her
>> from an ongoing panel in a way that caused her
>> embarrassment. This is inexcusable and we deeply
>> apologize.
>
> They were going to, in effect, ban her from her future panels
> *before* investigating. They have actual evidence of harm from
> the "overzealous volunteer". Are there going to be official
> repercussions for that volunteer? And what about the person
> (Lisa) who, per Burke's statement, made false, disparaging
> remarks to others about Burke during the con?

Until there's a proper investigation, the claim that her statements
were false and disparaging are exactly as credible as the statements
themselves, you know.

It's not a good look to jump to conclusions and take sides over
someone jumping to conclusions and taking sides.

--
Terry Austin

Lynn:

-- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.

Keith F. Lynch

May 31, 2022, 10:15:46 PMMay 31
Gary McGath <ga...@REMOVEmcgathREMOVE.com> wrote:
> Does anyone know more about the treatment of Stephanie Burke at
> Balticon?

I wasn't at that panel, nor have I talked to anyone who was. But I do
have knowledge of BSFS/Balticon management. It greatly changed, for
the worse, around 2019, and I no longer recommend Balticon to anyone.
I do not plan to attend next year.

So I'm inclined to believe Ms. Burke and disbelieve what Balticon says.

> The con chair actually apologized for how she was treated, which is
> virtually unprecedented.

The con chair apologized only for how the poor unlucky volunteer who
was caught in the middle behaved. Not for Ms. Burke being condemned
without a trial.

In other cheerful Balticon news, they informed everyone by email that
two attending members reported testing positive for covid. One was
anonymous, the other was Harold Feld. Not mentioned by email or in
the newsletter, there was a fatal shooting right outside the hotel on
Saturday evening. This was at 7:30 pm, i.e. during daylight. See
https://wtop.com/baltimore/2022/05/police-2-shot-in-chest-in-baltimores-inner-harbor-district/
--
Keith F. Lynch - http://keithlynch.net/

Gary McGath

Jun 4, 2022, 6:24:55 AMJun 4
On 5/31/22 10:15 PM, Keith F. Lynch wrote:
> Gary McGath <ga...@REMOVEmcgathREMOVE.com> wrote:

>> The con chair actually apologized for how she was treated, which is
>> virtually unprecedented.
>
> The con chair apologized only for how the poor unlucky volunteer who
> was caught in the middle behaved. Not for Ms. Burke being condemned
> without a trial.

The latest news is that the con chair will lead an investigation into
what the con did. Clearly they've picked up some tips from police
departments that "investigate" crimes committed by their own cops.