Dorothy Heydt, 1942-2022 R.I.P.

56 views
Skip to first unread message

Peter Trei

unread,
Jun 29, 2022, 1:14:18 PMJun 29
to
[From rasfw]

Seanan McGuire, others, report that Dorothy passed away.

https://twitter.com/seananmcguire/status/1541996445238120448

Alan Woodford

unread,
Jun 29, 2022, 2:59:29 PMJun 29
to
On Wed, 29 Jun 2022 10:14:16 -0700 (PDT), Peter Trei <pete...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>[From rasfw]
>
>Seanan McGuire, others, report that Dorothy passed away.
>
>https://twitter.com/seananmcguire/status/1541996445238120448


I'm sorry to hear that. My thoughts are with Hal, Meg, and all her other
family and friends.

Alan Woodford

The Greying Lensman

Gary McGath

unread,
Jun 29, 2022, 7:22:10 PMJun 29
to
Sad to hear. She was one of our best regulars.

Someone needs to update her Wikipedia article.

--
Gary McGath http://www.mcgath.com

Jay E. Morris

unread,
Jun 29, 2022, 11:16:44 PMJun 29
to
As are mine. I had hope one day to meet. The best are gone too soon, no
matter how many years they have.

Dorothy J Heydt

unread,
Jun 29, 2022, 11:49:03 PMJun 29
to
In article <t9j4ir$1mkn4$1...@dont-email.me>,
(Hal Heydt)
I'm sorry that there are a lot of people she knew on line that
she never got to meet. She used to maintain that she had a total
fan base of 42 (because of rather disappointing book sales...but
I have my own theories about that). Not sure how many zeros
should be tacked onto that.

The last con she got to was Clockwork Alchemy this past spring,
where she got to meet and talk with Patricia Wrede at some
length, to (by all appearances) the delight of both of them.

And, yes, far too soon. With the difference in our ages (not
quite 7 years) being close to the demographic difference in life
expectency by sex, I had hopes that we would go more or less
together. Alas, not to be. I think each of us hoped to go last to
ease the pain for the other, so in that sense, I'm just as glad
that she isn't looking at living without me. It could so easily
have been the other way around.

Peter Trei

unread,
Jun 30, 2022, 10:41:23 AMJun 30
to
She has a lot more than 42 fans just in the regulars of
these newsgroups.

Is there a designated charity, or something we can contribute to
in her memory?

pt

Dorothy J Heydt

unread,
Jun 30, 2022, 12:23:00 PMJun 30
to
In article <020b5ca0-ef8c-4898...@googlegroups.com>,
Nothing designated. At least, nothing she told me about. She
probably wouldn't have thought anyone would donate in her memory.

I will say thank you for the thought, though.

As an aside... I just got a spam call (on the house line) from
one of those Indian call centers, probably medical services
scammers, asking for her. I told him that she was no longer at
this number, but that if he managed to get in touch with, ask her
to call. (Pause.) Click.

Perhaps there will be fewer such calls. Or they'll start asking
for me and if I'm in a fey mood I will "play" with them.

Joel Polowin

unread,
Jul 2, 2022, 4:01:35 PMJul 2
to
On 2022-06-30 12:13 PM, Hal (via Dorothy J Heydt) wrote:

I'm very sorry for your loss. I enjoyed my discussions with Dorothy
in a couple of Usenet groups.

> Nothing designated. At least, nothing she told me about. She
> probably wouldn't have thought anyone would donate in her memory

Some ALS-related charity would seem to be appropriate, if one were
minded to make contributions based on such.

> As an aside... I just got a spam call (on the house line) from
> one of those Indian call centers, probably medical services
> scammers, asking for her. I told him that she was no longer at
> this number, but that if he managed to get in touch with, ask her
> to call. (Pause.) Click.

I rather think that those scammers will end up in a different
department from Dorothy.

Joel

--
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com

Tim Merrigan

unread,
Jul 3, 2022, 4:16:41 PMJul 3
to
On Sat, 2 Jul 2022 16:01:31 -0400, Joel Polowin
<jpol...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>I rather think that those scammers will end up in a different
>department from Dorothy.

As I understand, most of those people are just doing a job, they don't
necessarily know that the call center they're working for is running
scams.
--

Qualified immunity = virtual impunity.

Tim Merrigan

Ninapenda Jibini

unread,
Jul 3, 2022, 7:50:37 PMJul 3
to
Tim Merrigan <tp...@ca.rr.com> wrote in
news:gvt3chl22bva20qm8...@4ax.com:

> On Sat, 2 Jul 2022 16:01:31 -0400, Joel Polowin
> <jpol...@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
>>I rather think that those scammers will end up in a different
>>department from Dorothy.
>
> As I understand, most of those people are just doing a job, they
> don't necessarily know that the call center they're working for
> is running scams.

You sweet, summer child.

--
Terry Austin

Proof that Alan Baker is a liar and a fool, and even stupider than
Lynn:
https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/stats/sw-border-migration


"Terry Austin: like the polio vaccine, only with more asshole."
-- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.

Gary McGath

unread,
Jul 4, 2022, 4:04:14 AMJul 4
to
On 7/3/22 4:16 PM, Tim Merrigan wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Jul 2022 16:01:31 -0400, Joel Polowin
> <jpol...@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
>> I rather think that those scammers will end up in a different
>> department from Dorothy.
>
> As I understand, most of those people are just doing a job, they don't
> necessarily know that the call center they're working for is running
> scams.

I find that implausible. How do they deliver a fraudulent sales pitch
without knowing that's what they're doing? The car warranty fraudsters,
for instance, have to explain why they don't already have any
information on the "expiring" car warranty they've supposedly called about.

"How do I answer their questions?"

"Don't answer their questions, just keep repeating that their warranty
has expired while sounding scary."

"Oh, must be legit then."

Dorothy J Heydt

unread,
Jul 4, 2022, 2:13:03 PMJul 4
to
In article <t9u6ts$3b13e$1...@dont-email.me>,
Gary McGath <ga...@REMOVEmcgathREMOVE.com> wrote:
>On 7/3/22 4:16 PM, Tim Merrigan wrote:
>> On Sat, 2 Jul 2022 16:01:31 -0400, Joel Polowin
>> <jpol...@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>>
>>> I rather think that those scammers will end up in a different
>>> department from Dorothy.
>>
>> As I understand, most of those people are just doing a job, they don't
>> necessarily know that the call center they're working for is running
>> scams.
>
>I find that implausible. How do they deliver a fraudulent sales pitch
>without knowing that's what they're doing? The car warranty fraudsters,
>for instance, have to explain why they don't already have any
>information on the "expiring" car warranty they've supposedly called about.

(Hal Heydt)
I get those, too. I occasionally consider pressing the button to
connect to a live person to ask if the extended warranty is for
my 1985 vehicle or for the 1968 one.

Ninapenda Jibini

unread,
Jul 4, 2022, 2:20:39 PMJul 4
to
djh...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) wrote in
news:rEICq...@kithrup.com:
I'll bet you a steak dinner the answer either way would be "yes,
what's your credit card number?"

Dorothy J Heydt

unread,
Jul 4, 2022, 3:33:04 PMJul 4
to
In article <XnsAECA736427A77...@85.12.62.245>,
Ninapenda Jibini <taus...@gmail.com> wrote:
>djh...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) wrote in
>news:rEICq...@kithrup.com:
>
>> In article <t9u6ts$3b13e$1...@dont-email.me>,
>> Gary McGath <ga...@REMOVEmcgathREMOVE.com> wrote:
>>>On 7/3/22 4:16 PM, Tim Merrigan wrote:
>>>> On Sat, 2 Jul 2022 16:01:31 -0400, Joel Polowin
>>>> <jpol...@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> I rather think that those scammers will end up in a different
>>>>> department from Dorothy.
>>>>
>>>> As I understand, most of those people are just doing a job,
>>>> they don't necessarily know that the call center they're
>>>> working for is running scams.
>>>
>>>I find that implausible. How do they deliver a fraudulent sales
>>>pitch without knowing that's what they're doing? The car
>>>warranty fraudsters, for instance, have to explain why they
>>>don't already have any information on the "expiring" car
>>>warranty they've supposedly called about.
>>
>> (Hal Heydt)
>> I get those, too. I occasionally consider pressing the button
>> to connect to a live person to ask if the extended warranty is
>> for my 1985 vehicle or for the 1968 one.
>>
>I'll bet you a steak dinner the answer either way would be "yes,
>what's your credit card number?"

(Hal Heydt)
I decline to take that bet...on the grounds that it is entirely
possible that you are correct.

Tim Merrigan

unread,
Jul 4, 2022, 3:44:58 PMJul 4
to
Generally, on the rare occasions I bother to respond at all, would be
"Yes, I know. About 5 yeas ago."

(Normally I let them talk long enough for me to identify that it's a
scam then hang up.)

Dorothy J Heydt

unread,
Jul 4, 2022, 5:49:07 PMJul 4
to
In article <t0g6chhhlulmhibl6...@4ax.com>,
(Hal Heydt)
The ones I get generally start with a recording with some chirpy
voice saying, "Your file just crossed my desk and you may have an
extended warranty...". One gets to recognizing the lead in and
can hang up very quickly.

Gary McGath

unread,
Jul 5, 2022, 5:14:25 AMJul 5
to
On 7/4/22 5:37 PM, Dorothy J Heydt wrote:
> In article <t0g6chhhlulmhibl6...@4ax.com>,
> Tim Merrigan <tp...@ca.rr.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, 04 Jul 2022 18:20:37 GMT, Ninapenda Jibini
>> <taus...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> djh...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) wrote in
>>> news:rEICq...@kithrup.com:
>>>
>>>> I get those, too. I occasionally consider pressing the button
>>>> to connect to a live person to ask if the extended warranty is
>>>> for my 1985 vehicle or for the 1968 one.
>>>>
>>> I'll bet you a steak dinner the answer either way would be "yes,
>>> what's your credit card number?"
>>
>> Generally, on the rare occasions I bother to respond at all, would be
>> "Yes, I know. About 5 yeas ago."
>>
>> (Normally I let them talk long enough for me to identify that it's a
>> scam then hang up.)
>
> (Hal Heydt)
> The ones I get generally start with a recording with some chirpy
> voice saying, "Your file just crossed my desk and you may have an
> extended warranty...". One gets to recognizing the lead in and
> can hang up very quickly.

The recording in the calls I get always says "This is our last attempt
to reach you." Starting with an obvious lie is a giveaway.

Peter Trei

unread,
Jul 5, 2022, 1:19:04 PMJul 5
to
The weird thing is that I don't think I've ever gotten a call for an
extended warranty. Charity scams, Social Security scams, 'your
computer is infected' scams, yes, but not the car ones. That comes
(rarely) in junk paper mail.

If its a robot, I hang up quickly. If its a human, I ask if their mother
knows what they do for a living.

pt

Dorothy J Heydt

unread,
Jul 5, 2022, 1:29:08 PMJul 5
to
In article <ta0vdf$3lu5p$1...@dont-email.me>,
Gary McGath <ga...@REMOVEmcgathREMOVE.com> wrote:
>On 7/4/22 5:37 PM, Dorothy J Heydt wrote:
>> In article <t0g6chhhlulmhibl6...@4ax.com>,
>> (Hal Heydt)
>> The ones I get generally start with a recording with some chirpy
>> voice saying, "Your file just crossed my desk and you may have an
>> extended warranty...". One gets to recognizing the lead in and
>> can hang up very quickly.
>
>The recording in the calls I get always says "This is our last attempt
>to reach you." Starting with an obvious lie is a giveaway.

That, too. The other message I'd like to deliver, though they'll
never act on it: Why would I want to do business with a comapny
whose first act in contacting me is to violate US Federal law?
Both phones, our land line and my cell phone, are on the Do Not
Call list. Therefore, *any* cold contact call to either of them
is in violation...and the cell phone doubly so.

Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha

unread,
Jul 5, 2022, 2:37:48 PMJul 5
to
djh...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) wrote in
news:rEIMq...@kithrup.com:
My pone is about 90% accurate at identifying them before I answer.

--
Terry Austin

Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha

unread,
Jul 5, 2022, 2:41:31 PMJul 5
to
Peter Trei <pete...@gmail.com> wrote in
news:5d16a373-16e9-40ec...@googlegroups.com:
The most annoying ones I get are from the dealership I bought my
car from wanting to buy it back. (Used cars are a very hot market
right now, and they know it's low mileage and in very good shape
because they've done 100% of the maintenance on it.) Aside from not
having any interest in selling it, my only thought is, "You want to
buy it back because you don't have enough inventory. So if I sell
it to you, what will *I* drive when you don't have anything else to
sell me?"

They're beginning to get the message, from the hostile response
they get every time.

--
Terry Austin

rksh...@rosettacondot.com

unread,
Jul 5, 2022, 2:48:04 PMJul 5
to
I don't answer unrecognized phone numbers...if they want to talk to me they
can leave voice mail. That being said, I don't know whether it's because
they're the only ones that call or the only ones that leave voice mail, but
extended warranty spam is virtually the only spam I get. This happens on both
my personal and work numbers. I also get paving and roofing spam faxes on
my dedicated fax line (in the form of emailed PDFs so I'm not really bothered).

Robert
--
Robert K. Shull Email: rkshull at rosettacon dot com

Peter Trei

unread,
Jul 5, 2022, 8:11:32 PMJul 5
to
Used car prices are insane. I've had my Tesla for 3 years and 50,000
miles at this point. Out of curiosity, I recently located a similar one
on Tesla's 'Used Models' page.

it was being offered for $20,000 MORE than I paid for the new car.

Pt

Keith F. Lynch

unread,
Jul 5, 2022, 11:20:06 PMJul 5
to
Tim Merrigan <tp...@ca.rr.com> wrote:
> Joel Polowin <jpol...@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>> I rather think that those scammers will end up in a different
>> department from Dorothy.

> As I understand, most of those people are just doing a job, they
> don't necessarily know that the call center they're working for is
> running scams.

They think they're really working for the IRS? For Microsoft? For
"Visa and Mastercard"? (Yes, both at once.) For Medicare? Just in
case, I always inform them that I'm on the federal do-not-call list,
that they're breaking the law, that they're working for scammers, and
that thanks to them more and more Americans are coming to believe
that India is nothing but a nation of scammers and crooks.

Their answers to questions give it away. If I'm told my auto warranty
is expiring, I always ask on which car. If I'm told my Windows
computer is infected, I always ask which one. (I have no car and no
Windows computer.) If they claim to be the IRS, I ask them which
year's tax return they're talking about, and ask them to remind me
what my AGI was that year. If they refer to "my state," I ask them
which state they think I live in. If they claim I've been referred by
my health-care provider, I insist they tell me who so I can have him
prosecuted under HIPAA. And of course they will never give the full
name and address of their employer.

What surprises me the most is that these scams are so stupid and
obvious, and that they think that if I didn't fall for it the first
hundred times, calling me yet again a few hours later is likely
to work.

Again, I think that the international cables to India should be
disconnected until their government cracks down on the billions of
scam calls that repeatedly harass and annoy everyone in the US,
Canada, and Britain every day.
--
Keith F. Lynch - http://keithlynch.net/
Please see http://keithlynch.net/email.html before emailing me.

Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha

unread,
Jul 6, 2022, 5:23:11 PMJul 6
to
Peter Trei <pete...@gmail.com> wrote in
news:66608756-3f0e-43de...@googlegroups.com:
New car prices aren't much better. Supply and demand.

Jay E. Morris

unread,
Jul 6, 2022, 6:37:13 PMJul 6
to
Ford dealers were marking up the new F150 electric pickup 40-50%. MSRP
is around $70,000 and extremely limited supply. One dealer doubled the
price. Ford (and Chevy in anticipation of markups on it's new electric
truck) has told dealers to stop or risk losing their allocations.

Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha

unread,
Jul 6, 2022, 7:12:53 PMJul 6
to
"Jay E. Morris" <mor...@epsilon3.comcon> wrote in
news:ta52qn$5bba$1...@dont-email.me:
Ford is doing many things that dealerships don't like. If you lease
an electric F150, you no longer have the option to buy it out at
the end of the lease. It's a crazy market.
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages