A century of King Tut

Keith F. Lynch

Nov 5, 2022, 1:56:03 PM11/5/22
King Tut's tomb was discovered a century ago yesterday, inspiring
everything from monster movies featuring mummies to action movies
featuring Harrison Ford.

It was 32 centuries old when found, 33 centuries old now. But it was
part of Egypt's *New* Kingdom. The pyramids were as far before Tut's
day as Charlemagne's rule and the Viking raids were before our day.
(Tut's tomb was not in a pyramid.)
--
Keith F. Lynch - http://keithlynch.net/

Kerr-Mudd, John

Nov 6, 2022, 7:39:39 AM11/6/22
On Sat, 5 Nov 2022 17:56:02 -0000 (UTC)
"Keith F. Lynch" <k...@KeithLynch.net> wrote:

> King Tut's tomb was discovered a century ago yesterday, inspiring
> everything from monster movies featuring mummies to action movies
> featuring Harrison Ford.
>
> It was 32 centuries old when found, 33 centuries old now. But it was
> part of Egypt's *New* Kingdom. The pyramids were as far before Tut's
> day as Charlemagne's rule and the Viking raids were before our day.
> (Tut's tomb was not in a pyramid.)

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/tutankhamun-secrets-of-the-tomb

The presenter seems to have been inspired by Lara Croft's Tombraider.

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Kerr-Mudd, John

Nov 6, 2022, 7:40:26 AM11/6/22
On Sat, 5 Nov 2022 17:56:02 -0000 (UTC)
"Keith F. Lynch" <k...@KeithLynch.net> wrote:

> King Tut's tomb was discovered a century ago yesterday, inspiring
> everything from monster movies featuring mummies to action movies
> featuring Harrison Ford.
>
> It was 32 centuries old when found, 33 centuries old now. But it was
> part of Egypt's *New* Kingdom. The pyramids were as far before Tut's
> day as Charlemagne's rule and the Viking raids were before our day.
> (Tut's tomb was not in a pyramid.)

Saw a TV programme (Channel 4 UK) last night; a British Archeologist
(of Yemeni origin) went through the "Curse" and biographies of some of
those involved. One chap was still looking for Imenhotep's grave - they're
still at it.

As a girl it seems she was heavily influenced by Lara Croft.

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/tutankhamun-secrets-of-the-tomb

Charles Packer

Nov 6, 2022, 4:44:54 PM11/6/22
For what it's worth, newspaper archives show that the Tomb Raiders
game was first advertised in British papers starting Oct 31, 1996
(Halloween!). It didn't hit the American papers until Nov 23,
with accelerating advertising (and rave reviews) nationwide as
Thanksgiving approached.

And for what /this/ is worth, the King Tut phenomenon followed
a parallel time course. News of the tomb's discovery hit
newspapers on Nov. 28, 1922. Background stories then revealed that
the actual discovery had been on Nov. 4. Coverage continued to
rise as Christmas approached.

Andrew Love

Nov 7, 2022, 5:20:47 PM11/7/22
On Saturday, November 5, 2022 at 1:56:03 PM UTC-4, Keith F. Lynch wrote:
> King Tut's tomb was discovered a century ago yesterday, inspiring
> everything from monster movies featuring mummies to action movies
> featuring Harrison Ford.

And inspiring a song by Steve Martin as well.

Charles Packer

Nov 8, 2022, 3:46:38 AM11/8/22
By Feb. 1923 the ladies' columns of newspapers were almost
demanding that women get aboard the Egyptian fashion bandwagon.