Another Nail in the Saudi Worldcon Bid

evelynchim...@gmail.com

Oct 19, 2022, 1:38:08 PM10/19/22
Note that the tweets in question were mot posted in Saudi Arabia, but in the United States before he went to Saudi Arabia (some up to seven years earlier).

<https://www.axios.com/2022/10/19/saudi-arabia-american-citizen-imprisoned-tweets>

The State Department confirmed Tuesday that American citizen Saad Ibrahim Almadi remains imprisoned in Saudi Arabia after he was sentenced to 16 years in prison for posting tweets critical of the Saudi government.

Details: Almadi, a project manager from Florida, was detained last November after traveling to Riyadh to visit family. The tweets he was arrested for were posted on his account over the past seven years and largely rebuked the Saudi government's policies and corruption. In addition to his 16-year sentence, he was issued a 16-year travel ban preventing him from leaving Saudi Arabia.

--
Evelyn C. Leeper

Gary McGath

Oct 19, 2022, 2:19:36 PM10/19/22
At least he had to travel to Saudi Arabia to get arrested. China is
exporting its thuggery, beating up protesters in Manchester, UK. So far
the assailants haven't been arrested or expelled. Should be a fun
Worldcon next year.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/oct/19/uk-may-expel-chinese-diplomats-over-manchester-consulate-violence

--
Gary McGath http://www.mcgath.com

Magewolf

Oct 19, 2022, 7:16:32 PM10/19/22
You have to understand,China is just being discriminated against because
it is full of Asian people. It is really not an authoritarian hellhole
propped up by shady accounting and strong armed tactics. It is a light
for the world with it's environmental policies and social credit scores.
So saying anything bad about it is putting yourself on the wrong side of
history.

I do find it funny the number of people I remember saying they were never
going to another Con in Georgia but are happily getting ready to go to
China.

Tim Merrigan

Oct 19, 2022, 10:09:11 PM10/19/22
I have no intention of ever going to a Worldcon in Georgia, but I
didn't know there was a Tablisi bid.
--

Qualified immunity = virtual impunity.

Tim Merrigan

www.avg.com

Keith F. Lynch

Oct 19, 2022, 10:44:16 PM10/19/22
Tim Merrigan <tp...@ca.rr.com> wrote:
> Magewolf <Mage...@nc.rr.com> wrote:
>> I do find it funny the number of people I remember saying they were
>> never going to another Con in Georgia but are happily getting ready
>> to go to China.

> I have no intention of ever going to a Worldcon in Georgia, but I
> didn't know there was a Tablisi bid.

I'm reminded that there are January 6th photos of confused Capitol
insurrectionists carrying flags of the nation of Georgia. See
https://twitter.com/sher_khashimov/status/1346942758091689986
--
Keith F. Lynch - http://keithlynch.net/

Tim Merrigan

Oct 19, 2022, 11:10:14 PM10/19/22
On Thu, 20 Oct 2022 02:44:14 -0000 (UTC), "Keith F. Lynch"
<k...@KeithLynch.net> wrote:

>Tim Merrigan <tp...@ca.rr.com> wrote:
>> Magewolf <Mage...@nc.rr.com> wrote:
>>> I do find it funny the number of people I remember saying they were
>>> never going to another Con in Georgia but are happily getting ready
>>> to go to China.
>
>> I have no intention of ever going to a Worldcon in Georgia, but I
>> didn't know there was a Tablisi bid.
>
>I'm reminded that there are January 6th photos of confused Capitol
>insurrectionists carrying flags of the nation of Georgia. See
>https://twitter.com/sher_khashimov/status/1346942758091689986

If it had been the Georgia state flag with the simple application of
some blue cloth and some sowing (covering the state seal), it would be
converted (back) into the CSA national flag (Stars and Bars), which,
IMHO, would be appropriate for their cause.

Ninapenda Jibini

Oct 20, 2022, 12:08:29 AM10/20/22
"Keith F. Lynch" <k...@KeithLynch.net> wrote in

> Tim Merrigan <tp...@ca.rr.com> wrote:
>> Magewolf <Mage...@nc.rr.com> wrote:
>>> I do find it funny the number of people I remember saying they
>>> were never going to another Con in Georgia but are happily
>>> getting ready to go to China.
>
>> I have no intention of ever going to a Worldcon in Georgia, but
>> I didn't know there was a Tablisi bid.
>
> I'm reminded that there are January 6th photos of confused
> Capitol insurrectionists carrying flags of the nation of
> Georgia. See
> https://twitter.com/sher_khashimov/status/1346942758091689986

Reminds me of the protestors in Iran with Ernie from Sesame Street on
their posters.

--
Terry Austin

Lynn: