Google Groups shutting off usenet access

Jay E. Morris

Dec 14, 2023, 8:49:21 PM12/14/23
Basically, not worth maintaining.

https://support.google.com/groups/answer/11036538?visit_id=638381921477344227-87081626&p=usenet&rd=1

Starting on February 22, 2024, you can no longer use Google Groups (at
groups.google.com) to post content to Usenet groups, subscribe to Usenet
groups, or view new Usenet content. You can continue to view and search
for historical Usenet content posted before February 22, 2024 on Google
Groups.

In addition, Google’s Network News Transfer Protocol (NNTP) server and
associated peering will no longer be available, meaning Google will not
support serving new Usenet content or exchanging content with other NNTP
servers.

This change will not impact any non-Usenet content on Google Groups,
including all user and organization-created groups. Most of the current
Google Groups content is not Usenet content and will not be affected.

Keith F. Lynch

Dec 14, 2023, 9:12:52 PM12/14/23
Jay E. Morris <mor...@epsilon3.comcon> wrote:
> Starting on February 22, 2024, you can no longer use Google Groups
> (at groups.google.com) to post content to Usenet groups, subscribe
> to Usenet groups, or view new Usenet content. You can continue to
> view and search for historical Usenet content posted before February
> 22, 2024 on Google Groups.

But, but, but, that would mean no more responses to alt.tv.simpsons
posts made 30 years earlier.

I was looking forward to multi-generation threads, in which person
A posts, person B replies decades later, then person A's grandchild
replies after a few more decades, then person B's great-grandchild
responds after another half century.
--
Keith F. Lynch - http://keithlynch.net/

The Doctor

Dec 14, 2023, 11:24:58 PM12/14/23
In article <ulgbau$1k6bt$2...@epsilon3.eternal-september.org>,
Jay E. Morris <mor...@epsilon3.comcon> wrote:
22 or 15?
--
Member - Liberal International This is doc...@nk.ca Ici doc...@nk.ca

Kevrob

Dec 15, 2023, 4:30:18 AM12/15/23
My feedback to that:

"Donate the Usenet archive you took over from Deja.com to someone who
will maintain access to it. Maybe there is some tax benefit to donating it.
Google's refusal to ban users who used Google's portal to spam indiscrimanantly
is a major contributor to the "death of Usenet." Shutting off access to groups
such as soc.history.what-if in even read-only form has been a blow to the
community. Don't be evil my Aunt Fanny."

Like anyone will take that suggestion.

--
Kevin R

Gary McGath

Dec 15, 2023, 6:10:44 AM12/15/23
On 12/14/23 8:49 PM, Jay E. Morris wrote:
> Basically, not worth maintaining.
>
> https://support.google.com/groups/answer/11036538?visit_id=638381921477344227-87081626&p=usenet&rd=1
>
> Starting on February 22, 2024, you can no longer use Google Groups (at
> groups.google.com) to post content to Usenet groups, subscribe to Usenet
> groups, or view new Usenet content. You can continue to view and search
> for historical Usenet content posted before February 22, 2024 on Google
> Groups.
>
> In addition, Google’s Network News Transfer Protocol (NNTP) server and
> associated peering will no longer be available, meaning Google will not
> support serving new Usenet content or exchanging content with other NNTP
> servers.

Good to be rid of it, though it had reached the point of not making much
difference. For many years I filtered out all posts from Google Groups
because so much of it was spam and Google explicitly refused to act on
spam reports.

--
Gary McGath http://www.mcgath.com

Jay E. Morris

Dec 15, 2023, 10:00:37 AM12/15/23
On 12/14/2023 10:24 PM, The Doctor wrote:
> In article <ulgbau$1k6bt$2...@epsilon3.eternal-september.org>,
> Jay E. Morris <mor...@epsilon3.comcon> wrote:
>> Basically, not worth maintaining.
>>
>> https://support.google.com/groups/answer/11036538?visit_id=638381921477344227-87081626&p=usenet&rd=1
>>
>> Starting on February 22, 2024, you can no longer use Google Groups (at
>> groups.google.com) to post content to Usenet groups, subscribe to Usenet
>> groups, or view new Usenet content. You can continue to view and search
>> for historical Usenet content posted before February 22, 2024 on Google
>> Groups.
>>
>> In addition, Google’s Network News Transfer Protocol (NNTP) server and
>> associated peering will no longer be available, meaning Google will not
>> support serving new Usenet content or exchanging content with other NNTP
>> servers.
>>
>> This change will not impact any non-Usenet content on Google Groups,
>> including all user and organization-created groups. Most of the current
>> Google Groups content is not Usenet content and will not be affected.
>
> 22 or 15?

The answers page says Feb 22 but evidently the blurb that pops up on
Groups itself says the 15th. We'll see.

Keith F. Lynch

Dec 15, 2023, 10:31:18 AM12/15/23
Kevrob <kev...@my-deja.com> wrote:
> "Donate the Usenet archive you took over from Deja.com to someone
> who will maintain access to it. Maybe there is some tax benefit to
> donating it. Google's refusal to ban users who used Google's portal
> to spam indiscrimanantly is a major contributor to the "death of
> Usenet." Shutting off access to groups such as soc.history.what-if
> in even read-only form has been a blow to the community. Don't be
> evil my Aunt Fanny."

They are claiming they will continue to maintain the historical
archive and keep it searchable and readable, at least by those with
Google accounts.

But I agree that it would be better if it was maintained by a more
reliable organization, one which didn't require an account. Better
yet, given how inexpensive disk space is these days, sell full copies
to anyone who wants them.

Steve Coltrin

Dec 15, 2023, 11:11:44 AM12/15/23
Door, ass, way out.
--
Steve Coltrin spco...@omcl.org Google Groups killfiled here
"A group known as the League of Human Dignity helped arrange for Deuel

The Doctor

Dec 15, 2023, 11:11:50 AM12/15/23
In article <ulhc7g$1sfut$1...@dont-email.me>,
GG Abuse will not be missed.

>--
>Gary McGath http://www.mcgath.com

The Doctor

Dec 15, 2023, 11:12:07 AM12/15/23
In article <ulhpmi$1ufls$1...@epsilon3.eternal-september.org>,
Hopefull 15 Feb is it!

The Doctor

Dec 15, 2023, 11:13:12 AM12/15/23
In article <ulhrg3$aar$1...@reader2.panix.com>,
Keith F. Lynch <k...@KeithLynch.net> wrote:
>Kevrob <kev...@my-deja.com> wrote:
>> "Donate the Usenet archive you took over from Deja.com to someone
>> who will maintain access to it. Maybe there is some tax benefit to
>> donating it. Google's refusal to ban users who used Google's portal
>> to spam indiscrimanantly is a major contributor to the "death of
>> Usenet." Shutting off access to groups such as soc.history.what-if
>> in even read-only form has been a blow to the community. Don't be
>> evil my Aunt Fanny."
>
>They are claiming they will continue to maintain the historical
>archive and keep it searchable and readable, at least by those with
>Google accounts.
>
>But I agree that it would be better if it was maintained by a more
>reliable organization, one which didn't require an account. Better
>yet, given how inexpensive disk space is these days, sell full copies
>to anyone who wants them.

OR just get a competent provider to do something right.

>--
>Keith F. Lynch - http://keithlynch.net/
>Please see http://keithlynch.net/email.html before emailing me.

The Doctor

Dec 15, 2023, 11:13:29 AM12/15/23
In article <m2le9vj...@kelutral.omcl.org>,
Hear! Hear!

Scott Dorsey

Dec 15, 2023, 2:59:32 PM12/15/23
Keith F. Lynch <k...@KeithLynch.net> wrote:

>They are claiming they will continue to maintain the historical
>archive and keep it searchable and readable, at least by those with
>Google accounts.

But it isn't searchable and readable and has not been for more than a
decade now. The incices are badly broken and it is impossible to find
many earlier articles which could previously be found with simple searches.
They are in there and if you know the message-id you might be able to
retrieve them, but just knowing the author and content is not enough to
find them.
--scott

Kevrob

Dec 15, 2023, 4:00:25 PM12/15/23
On Friday, December 15, 2023 at 2:59:32 PM UTC-5, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> Keith F. Lynch <k...@KeithLynch.net> wrote:
> >
> >They are claiming they will continue to maintain the historical
> >archive and keep it searchable and readable, at least by those with
> >Google accounts.

> But it isn't searchable and readable and has not been for more than a
> decade now. The incices are badly broken and it is impossible to find
> many earlier articles which could previously be found with simple searches.
> They are in there and if you know the message-id you might be able to
> retrieve them, but just knowing the author and content is not enough to
> find them.

If you have a message ID, try

http://al.howardknight.net/

I've been trying to find a post I made in soc.history.what-if using
usenetarchives.com and having no luck. It was a parody of a Comics
Journal review of a comic strip collection, that I entitled
"Understanding Steve Sterling" and "Understanding Steve Stirling."
One was part of a longer thread. The other was a repost. Early in
the current century.

Any help would be appreciated.

--
Kevin R

evelynchim...@gmail.com

Dec 16, 2023, 12:03:33 AM12/16/23
Unless someone points me to a different way to post to Usenet, the MT VOID will no longer be posted here after the Google Groups shutdown of its access. I suggest people who wish to continue to read it subscribe directly; you can ask for either plain text or a PDF.

Keith F. Lynch

Dec 16, 2023, 7:04:15 AM12/16/23
ele...@optonline.net <evelynchim...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Unless someone points me to a different way to post to Usenet,
> the MT VOID will no longer be posted here after the Google Groups
> shutdown of its access. I suggest people who wish to continue to
> read it subscribe directly; you can ask for either plain text or
> a PDF.

Please continue posting here until the February Google shutdown,
after which please subscribe me via plain text. Thanks.

If you haven't found another way to post before the shutdown, I
volunteer to post it here each week, and to forward any replies
to you.

Last Sunday's issue never appeared here on Panix, nor did any
replies to it.

WolfFan

Dec 16, 2023, 7:09:01 AM12/16/23
On Dec 16, 2023, ele...@optonline.net wrote
(in article<c06cc470-634f-4957...@googlegroups.com>):

> Unless someone points me to a different way to post to Usenet, the MT VOID
> will no longer be posted here after the Google Groups shutdown of its access.
> I suggest people who wish to continue to read it subscribe directly; you can
> ask for either plain text or a PDF.

Eternal September is a free newsfeed, one of many. There are numerous free
newsreaders for Windows, Mac, and Linux. Pick a free service and a free
newsreader, go. Problem done.

The Doctor

Dec 16, 2023, 10:22:52 AM12/16/23
In article <ulk3ns$ga1$1...@reader2.panix.com>,
Keith F. Lynch <k...@KeithLynch.net> wrote:
>ele...@optonline.net <evelynchim...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Unless someone points me to a different way to post to Usenet,
>> the MT VOID will no longer be posted here after the Google Groups
>> shutdown of its access. I suggest people who wish to continue to
>> read it subscribe directly; you can ask for either plain text or
>> a PDF.
>
>Please continue posting here until the February Google shutdown,
>after which please subscribe me via plain text. Thanks.
>
>If you haven't found another way to post before the shutdown, I
>volunteer to post it here each week, and to forward any replies
>to you.
>
>Last Sunday's issue never appeared here on Panix, nor did any
>replies to it.

Just bolt from GG now!

>--
>Keith F. Lynch - http://keithlynch.net/
>Please see http://keithlynch.net/email.html before emailing me.

Blueshirt

Dec 16, 2023, 11:21:54 AM12/16/23
WolfFan wrote:

> On Dec 16, 2023, ele...@optonline.net wrote
> (in
> article<c06cc470-634f-4957...@googlegroups.com>):
>
> > Unless someone points me to a different way to post to Usenet,
> > the MT VOID will no longer be posted here after the Google Groups
> > shutdown of its access. I suggest people who wish to continue to
> > read it subscribe directly; you can ask for either plain text or
> > a PDF.
>
> Eternal September is a free newsfeed, one of many. There are
> numerous free newsreaders for Windows, Mac, and Linux. Pick a free
> service and a free newsreader, go. Problem done.

Free News servers:

https://www.eternal-september.org/

https://solani.org/

Free Newsreaders:

https://www.thunderbird.net/en-GB/

https://mpgravity.sourceforge.net/index.html

The Doctor

Dec 16, 2023, 11:40:03 AM12/16/23
In article <nnd$104a4145$6f097fb9@81cfbb904843123b>,
I will charge only for the VPN.

Gary McGath

Dec 16, 2023, 12:17:33 PM12/16/23
There was a recent discussion of options in this newsgroup under the
subject "Usenet providers."

Blueshirt

Dec 16, 2023, 12:48:49 PM12/16/23
And there will be plenty more here before February I'm sure...

Tim Merrigan

Dec 16, 2023, 2:39:07 PM12/16/23
On Fri, 15 Dec 2023 21:03:31 -0800 (PST), "ele...@optonline.net"
<evelynchim...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Unless someone points me to a different way to post to Usenet, the MT VOID will no longer be posted here after the Google Groups shutdown of its access. I suggest people who wish to continue to read it subscribe directly; you can ask for either plain text or a PDF.
>
>On Thursday, December 14, 2023 at 8:49:21?PM UTC-5, Jay E. Morris wrote:
>> Basically, not worth maintaining.
>>
>> https://support.google.com/groups/answer/11036538?visit_id=638381921477344227-87081626&p=usenet&rd=1
>>
>> Starting on February 22, 2024, you can no longer use Google Groups (at
>> groups.google.com) to post content to Usenet groups, subscribe to Usenet
>> groups, or view new Usenet content. You can continue to view and search
>> for historical Usenet content posted before February 22, 2024 on Google
>> Groups.
>>
>> In addition, Google’s Network News Transfer Protocol (NNTP) server and
>> associated peering will no longer be available, meaning Google will not
>> support serving new Usenet content or exchanging content with other NNTP
>> servers.
>>
>> This change will not impact any non-Usenet content on Google Groups,
>> including all user and organization-created groups. Most of the current
>> Google Groups content is not Usenet content and will not be affected.

You could subscribe to a News server, e.g Eternal September, and, if
you don't have a news reader, text messages can be read on Thunderbird
(I don't know about other mail readers).
--

Qualified immunity = virtual impunity.

Tim Merrigan

www.avg.com

Keith F. Lynch

Dec 22, 2023, 9:00:15 PM12/22/23
Scott Dorsey <klu...@panix.com> wrote:
> Keith F. Lynch <k...@KeithLynch.net> wrote:
>> They are claiming they will continue to maintain the historical
>> archive and keep it searchable and readable, at least by those
>> with Google accounts.

> But it isn't searchable and readable and has not been for more than
> a decade now. The incices are badly broken and it is impossible
> to find many earlier articles which could previously be found with
> simple searches. They are in there and if you know the message-id
> you might be able to retrieve them, but just knowing the author and
> content is not enough to find them.

Thanks. I knew there were problems 12 years ago when I was searching
for all posts by Dan Hoey to make a memorial website for him. But I
figured they must have long since fixed their problems, since they're
a very successful high tech company with high-status technical
employees, and since search is their main line of business. I wasn't
able to check for myself since the whole of Google Groups had
retreated behind the Google-login event horizon.

If they're unwilling to maintain it, they should make full copies
available to anyone who wants one.

Tim Merrigan

Dec 23, 2023, 4:00:22 PM12/23/23
On Sat, 23 Dec 2023 02:00:13 -0000 (UTC), "Keith F. Lynch"
<k...@KeithLynch.net> wrote:

>Scott Dorsey <klu...@panix.com> wrote:
>> Keith F. Lynch <k...@KeithLynch.net> wrote:
>>> They are claiming they will continue to maintain the historical
>>> archive and keep it searchable and readable, at least by those
>>> with Google accounts.
>
>> But it isn't searchable and readable and has not been for more than
>> a decade now. The incices are badly broken and it is impossible
>> to find many earlier articles which could previously be found with
>> simple searches. They are in there and if you know the message-id
>> you might be able to retrieve them, but just knowing the author and
>> content is not enough to find them.
>
>Thanks. I knew there were problems 12 years ago when I was searching
>for all posts by Dan Hoey to make a memorial website for him. But I
>figured they must have long since fixed their problems, since they're
>a very successful high tech company with high-status technical
>employees, and since search is their main line of business. I wasn't
>able to check for myself since the whole of Google Groups had
>retreated behind the Google-login event horizon.
>
>If they're unwilling to maintain it, they should make full copies
>available to anyone who wants one.

The Usenet search started deteriorating the moment Google Groups took
over control of DejaNews, and has only gotten worse since.

The Doctor

Dec 23, 2023, 6:14:43 PM12/23/23
In article <1cieoi5thnontncga...@4ax.com>,
And GG troll control is absent!

>--
>
>Qualified immunity = virtual impunity.
>
>Tim Merrigan
>
>--
>www.avg.com

Judith Latham

Dec 28, 2023, 4:26:35 PM12/28/23
On 12/14/2023 8:49 PM, Jay E. Morris wrote:
> Basically, not worth maintaining.
>
> https://support.google.com/groups/answer/11036538?visit_id=638381921477344227-87081626&p=usenet&rd=1
>
> Starting on February 22, 2024, you can no longer use Google Groups (at
> groups.google.com) to post content to Usenet groups, subscribe to Usenet
> groups, or view new Usenet content. You can continue to view and search
> for historical Usenet content posted before February 22, 2024 on Google
> Groups.
>
> In addition, Google’s Network News Transfer Protocol (NNTP) server and
> associated peering will no longer be available, meaning Google will not
> support serving new Usenet content or exchanging content with other NNTP
> servers.
>
> This change will not impact any non-Usenet content on Google Groups,
> including all user and organization-created groups. Most of the current
> Google Groups content  is not Usenet content and will not be affected.

Saw this in another group last week, for what its worth.

https://www.theregister.com/2023/08/30/usenet_revival/

The Doctor

Dec 28, 2023, 5:55:51 PM12/28/23
In article <cKljN.19429$taff....@fx41.iad>,