Mutant Female Tetrachromats Among Us

1 view

Marc Ortlieb

Nov 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/30/00
In article <903tl0$dj4$0...@pita.alt.net>, Guy <cyp...@punk.net> wrote:

> Reminds me of a short story of seeing electromagnetic emanations...

O.P.A.
Light is an electromagnetic emanation isn't it?

Interesting piece on the vision thing though.

Lucy Kemnitzer

Nov 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/30/00
On Thu, 30 Nov 2000 22:39:05 +1100, mort...@vicnet.net.au (Marc
Ortlieb) wrote:

>In article <903tl0$dj4$0...@pita.alt.net>, Guy <cyp...@punk.net> wrote:
>
>> Reminds me of a short story of seeing electromagnetic emanations...
>
>O.P.A.
>Light is an electromagnetic emanation isn't it?

Depends on how loosely you use the word "emanation," on the one
hand, and on the other, whether you subscribe to the common
everyday shorthad use of "electromagnetic radiation" to mean
"radiations from other interesting parts of the electromagnetic
spectrum than light, broadcast radio, etc."

I've been teaching this sometimes, lately. Also Darwin's finches
and how to write research papers and Adrienne Rich and computer
research.

I would _hate_ it if my vision were entirely uncongruent with
other people's. It's hard enough to share esthetic experience as
it is.

Lucy Kemnitzer

Dorothy J Heydt

Nov 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/30/00
In article <3a26711...@enews.newsguy.com>,
Lucy Kemnitzer <rit...@cruzio.com> wrote:

>Depends on how loosely you use the word "emanation," on the one
>hand, and on the other, whether you subscribe to the common
>everyday shorthad use of "electromagnetic radiation" to mean
>"radiations from other interesting parts of the electromagnetic
>spectrum than light, broadcast radio, etc."
>
>I've been teaching this sometimes, lately. Also Darwin's finches
>and how to write research papers and Adrienne Rich and computer
>research.

Most of that, I recognize. Who or what is Adrienne Rich?

Dorothy J. Heydt
Albany, California
djh...@kithrup.com
http://www.kithrup.com/~djheydt

Soren deSelby

Nov 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/30/00
In article <G4uuM...@kithrup.com>, djh...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) wrote:

>Most of that, I recognize. Who or what is Adrienne Rich?

Major feminist poet and essayist. Widely respected as a poet, not just by
feminists. Author of =Diving into the Wreck=.

Lucy Kemnitzer

Nov 30, 2000, 10:07:47 PM11/30/00
On Thu, 30 Nov 2000 20:37:26 GMT, djh...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J
Heydt) wrote:

>In article <3a26711...@enews.newsguy.com>,
>Lucy Kemnitzer <rit...@cruzio.com> wrote:
>
>>Depends on how loosely you use the word "emanation," on the one
>>hand, and on the other, whether you subscribe to the common
>>everyday shorthad use of "electromagnetic radiation" to mean
>>"radiations from other interesting parts of the electromagnetic
>>spectrum than light, broadcast radio, etc."
>>
>>I've been teaching this sometimes, lately. Also Darwin's finches
>>and how to write research papers and Adrienne Rich and computer
>>research.
>

>Most of that, I recognize. Who or what is Adrienne Rich?

Modern poet, very disciplined, very formal, also very emotional in
her way. The Clintons wanted her for poet laureate in 1997 but she
turned them down. Her explanation is here:

http://www.barclayagency.com/richwhy.html

Essentially, she says that she felt that as an artist she couldn't
collaborate with the government in that way, during times when the
government was an instrument of concentrating more and more wealth
into the hands of fewer and fewer people.

Here's a little poem of hers:

Living in Sin

She had thought the studio would keep itself;
no dust upon the furniture of love.
Half heresy, to wish the taps less vocal,
the panes relieved of grime. A plate of pears,
a piano with a Persian shawl, a cat
stalking the picturesque amusing mouse
had risen at his urging.
Not that at five each separate stair would writhe
under the milkman's tramp; that morning light
so coldly would delineate the scraps
of last night's cheese and three sepulchral bottles;
that on the kitchen shelf among the saucers
a pair of beetle-eyes would fix her own--
envoy from some village in the moldings...
Meanwhile, he, with a yawn,
sounded a dozen notes upon the keyboard,
declared it out of tune, shrugged at the mirror,
rubbed at his beard, went out for cigarettes;
while she, jeered by the minor demons,
pulled back the sheets and made the bed and found
a towel to dust the table-top,
and let the coffee-pot boil over on the stove.
By evening she was back in love again,
though not so wholly but throughout the night
she woke sometimes to feel the daylight coming
like a relentless milkman up the stairs.

But my favorite of hers is a series about immigration which I
can't find right now.

Anyway, a piece of her immigration suite was in an eighth-grade
literature book, and the kids were having a little trouble with
"you will pass through that door, or you will not:" because their
experience with immigration isn't Ellis Island or Angel Island,
it's a long border, and they kept thinking passing through the
door meant getting deported.

And then, the line to the effect that "if you do, there is the
danger that you will remember your name," I had to translate to
"there is the danger that you will remember your language" before
they got it.

Suddenly it came rushing in on them, as I described the Ellis
Island experience, the similarities and the differences. But I
was only there for one day. I don't know what happened the next
day.

She gets prizes all the time: she didn't lose anything by turning
down the Laureate.

Also, she'd kind of local. Capitola, I think. I saw her in the
bookstore, being approached for an autograph by an earnest and
very tall young man: and she was so gracious and friendly to him.
I thought, that was how to do it,

Lucy Kemnitzer

gfa...@savvy.com

Dec 1, 2000, 12:03:53 AM12/1/00
Dorothy J Heydt <djh...@kithrup.com> wrote:
[. . .]

> Most of that, I recognize. Who or what is Adrienne Rich?

Gulp. One of the major feminist writers about thirty years ago. Gulp.

--
Gary Farber New York
Temporary e-mail address: gfa...@my-deja.com

Lucy Kemnitzer

Dec 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/1/00
On 1 Dec 2000 05:03:53 GMT, gfa...@savvy.com wrote:

>Dorothy J Heydt <djh...@kithrup.com> wrote:
>[. . .]
>> Most of that, I recognize. Who or what is Adrienne Rich?
>
>Gulp. One of the major feminist writers about thirty years ago. Gulp.

No, she's one of the most important living poets of any sort in
the world _now_ this minute.

Has been for all that time, too.

But I don't hold it against people who don't know: I don't know
the names of most of the important contemporary poets. I don't
know if I'd have read so much of her poetry if she hadn't happened
to be a local -- so that her name shows up in other than poetry
circles.

Lots of people who read poetry at all only read poetry from the
past. I think, actually, this is not because there is no good
contemporary poetry (there is) but because there is so much of
everything, and poetry is so much the opposite of salient, and
poets are so common and un-spoken of, that a person who likes
poetry has a hard time finding poetry they like. And there's a
kajillion kinds of poetry.

Anyway, I wouldn't bother to boggle.

Lucy Kemnitzer

gfa...@savvy.com

Dec 1, 2000, 7:30:38 PM12/1/00
Lucy Kemnitzer <rit...@cruzio.com> wrote:
> On 1 Dec 2000 05:03:53 GMT, gfa...@savvy.com wrote:
>>Dorothy J Heydt <djh...@kithrup.com> wrote:
>>[. . .]
>>> Most of that, I recognize. Who or what is Adrienne Rich?
>>
>>Gulp. One of the major feminist writers about thirty years ago. Gulp.

> No, she's one of the most important living poets of any sort in

> the world _now_ this minute.

Fair enough. The word "starting" fell out of my post, from its postion
after "writers," alas."

> Has been for all that time, too.

> But I don't hold it against people who don't know: I don't know
> the names of most of the important contemporary poets. I don't
> know if I'd have read so much of her poetry if she hadn't happened
> to be a local -- so that her name shows up in other than poetry
> circles.

I wouldn't clonk Dorothy about this, but I'm not a great follower of poetry,
and Adrienne Rich simply stands out in my world as one of the most famous
*writers* of the last thirty years. Our worlds are all our own worlds, of
course.

[. . . .]

Steve Franklin

Dec 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/4/00

:
: > Reminds me of a short story of seeing electromagnetic emanations...
:
: O.P.A.
: Light is an electromagnetic emanation isn't it?
:
: Interesting piece on the vision thing though.

The Baron von Reichenbach studied "sensitives," generally "hysterical"
young women who had been institutionalized, whom he claimed could see
into the ultraviolet and infrared.

--
Steve Franklin

For a delicious fat-free treat, er, to reply, remove the pam from the
spam.
_____
Atlantis 596.15S 600E .5A 90