Amusing Google bug

Keith F. Lynch

Apr 3, 2021, 4:31:27 PM4/3/21
Greg Egan noticed that if you do a Google search for Katharina Gsell
or Claudio Saracini, you get an unexpected result.
--
Keith F. Lynch - http://keithlynch.net/

Peter Trei

Apr 3, 2021, 10:45:01 PM4/3/21
On Saturday, April 3, 2021 at 4:31:27 PM UTC-4, Keith F. Lynch wrote:
> Greg Egan noticed that if you do a Google search for Katharina Gsell
> or Claudio Saracini, you get an unexpected result.

Either they fixed whatever was wrong, or this is flying right over
my head.

.... and of course, Keith won't clarify it for me.

Pt

Alan Woodford

Apr 4, 2021, 3:07:01 AM4/4/21
On Sat, 3 Apr 2021 19:45:00 -0700 (PDT), Peter Trei <pete...@gmail.com>
wrote:
In Firefox on my PC, when I search for Claudio Saracini I get a Wikipedia box
with some info on the early Baroque composer, and a photograph of him...

Actually, the photo is of a visiting scholar at the University of Rome of the
same name, and not a picture taken by a Doctor with a Blue Police Box :-)

Katharina Gsell gets the same treatment, with a photo of Leonhard Euler's
wife!

Alan Woodford

The Greying Lensman

Paul Dormer

Apr 4, 2021, 10:23:44 AM4/4/21
In article <mtoi6g1oquf8963oc...@4ax.com>,
al...@thewoodfords.uk (Alan Woodford) wrote:

> In Firefox on my PC, when I search for Claudio Saracini I get a
> Wikipedia box
> with some info on the early Baroque composer, and a photograph of
> him...
>
> Actually, the photo is of a visiting scholar at the University of
> Rome of the
> same name, and not a picture taken by a Doctor with a Blue Police Box
> :-)
>
> Katharina Gsell gets the same treatment, with a photo of Leonhard
> Euler's
> wife!

Reminds me one of the answers in Friday's Independent crossword was
CORELLI, as in Arcangelo Corelli, the Italian composer. A typo in the
blog on fifteensquared gave his dates as 1653-1813.

Dorothy J Heydt

Apr 4, 2021, 12:15:01 PM4/4/21
In article <memo.20210404...@pauldormer.cix.co.uk>,
Oh, my. If he had lived that long, what great work he might have
done!

--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California

Keith F. Lynch

Apr 4, 2021, 3:01:02 PM4/4/21
Dorothy J Heydt <djh...@kithrup.com> wrote:
> Paul Dormer <p...@pauldormer.cix.co.uk> wrote:
>> al...@thewoodfords.uk (Alan Woodford) wrote:
>>> Katharina Gsell gets the same treatment, with a photo of Leonhard
>>> Euler's wife!

To be fair, we do have photos of people who were alive in 1773 (the
year she died), but the photos were taken many decades later, and
depict very elderly people, unlike the photo in that sidebar. Also,
those photos weren't in color.

>> Reminds me one of the answers in Friday's Independent crossword was
>> CORELLI, as in Arcangelo Corelli, the Italian composer. A typo in
>> the blog on fifteensquared gave his dates as 1653-1813.

> Oh, my. If he had lived that long, what great work he might have done!

And if he had lived until 1913, we could have recordings of his work
conducted by him.

Who is the earliest composer for which we have a recording of
them conducting or performing their own work? Possibly Mahler?
Conceivably Brahms, Liszt, or even Wagner?

If you look up "oldest recording," you'll find the claim that it's
this 1860 (!) recording of Clair de Lune:
https://www.vice.com/en/article/9a7x48/listen-to-the-eerie-warbles-of-the-oldest-sound-recording-in-history
I'm skeptical, since its composer, Claude Debussy, wasn't born yet.
Also, it doesn't sound like that tune to me.

A few years ago I corrected the claim on Wikipedia that Jean-Hyacinthe
Magellan was the grandson of Ferdinand Magellan. Jean-Hyacinthe was
born 201 years after Ferdinand's death.

Ferdinand died 500 years ago this month. Jean-Hyacinthe was born 300
years ago next year.

Gary McGath

Apr 4, 2021, 6:24:55 PM4/4/21
On 4/4/21 3:01 PM, Keith F. Lynch wrote:
> If you look up "oldest recording," you'll find the claim that it's
> this 1860 (!) recording of Clair de Lune:
> https://www.vice.com/en/article/9a7x48/listen-to-the-eerie-warbles-of-the-oldest-sound-recording-in-history
> I'm skeptical, since its composer, Claude Debussy, wasn't born yet.
> Also, it doesn't sound like that tune to me.

That doesn't say it was "Clair de Lune." It says it was "Au Clair de la
Lune" and correctly identifies it as a folk song. The recording is in
fact the first line of "Au Clair de la Lune," though barely recognizable.

--
Gary McGath http://www.mcgath.com

Dorothy J Heydt

Apr 4, 2021, 8:10:01 PM4/4/21
In article <s4debm$9pp$1...@dont-email.me>,
And it was, in fact, sung. Yes, lousy reproduction, but 1860

Peter Trei

Apr 4, 2021, 8:24:10 PM4/4/21
Thomas Edison recorded Brahms playing his own work in 1889.
https://ccrma.stanford.edu/groups/edison/brahms/brahms.html

Pt

Keith F. Lynch

Apr 4, 2021, 11:10:00 PM4/4/21
Dorothy J Heydt <djh...@kithrup.com> wrote:
> Gary McGath <ga...@REMOVEmcgathREMOVE.com> wrote:
>> That doesn't say it was "Clair de Lune." It says it was "Au Clair
>> de la Lune" and correctly identifies it as a folk song. The
>> recording is in fact the first line of "Au Clair de la Lune,"
>> though barely recognizable.

Thanks for the correction.

> And it was, in fact, sung. Yes, lousy reproduction, but 1860

And it could have been me. No, not the one who wrote, sang, or
recorded it, of course, but the one who recovered it. Forty years
ago I was aware, from old books I own, that pre-Edison recordings on
smoked paper existed. They were produced, not for the purpose of
playback, but just to see what sounds looked like. I pointed out to
my bosses as SAIC that we had the equipment needed to reproduce those
sounds, and suggested that it would be good publicity for the company.

My idea went nowhere. Someone else came up with the same idea
20 years later, and did it.

It turned out SAIC didn't need the publicity. It has done
spectacularly well. Unlike all other companies I worked for,
all of which have gone out of business.

Paul Dormer

Apr 5, 2021, 6:05:48 AM4/5/21
In article <s4dv26$nmg$1...@reader1.panix.com>, k...@KeithLynch.net (Keith F.
Lynch) wrote:

> My idea went nowhere. Someone else came up with the same idea
> 20 years later, and did it.

There was a Sean McMullen story based on this idea. A number of
recordings like this are discovered and playback achieved.

Paul Dormer

Apr 5, 2021, 6:05:48 AM4/5/21
In article <s4d2dc$evd$1...@reader1.panix.com>, k...@KeithLynch.net (Keith F.
Lynch) wrote:

> Who is the earliest composer for which we have a recording of
> them conducting or performing their own work? Possibly Mahler?
> Conceivably Brahms, Liszt, or even Wagner?

I remember hearing on the radio many years ago a recording which claimed
to be Brahms playing one of his compositions. There was a crackly voice
saying "Ich bin Johannes Brahms followed by tinkly piano sounds. There
is a recording on Brahms Wikipedia page which claims to be him playing in
1889.

Scott Dorsey

Apr 5, 2021, 4:49:56 PM4/5/21
And of course Benford's _Time Shards_.
--scott

Peter Trei

Apr 5, 2021, 6:17:42 PM4/5/21

Keith F. Lynch

Apr 17, 2021, 4:57:03 PM4/17/21
Scott Dorsey <klu...@panix.com> wrote:
> Paul Dormer <p...@pauldormer.cix.co.uk> wrote:
>> k...@KeithLynch.net (Keith F. Lynch) wrote:
>>> My idea went nowhere. Someone else came up with the same idea
>>> 20 years later, and did it.

>> There was a Sean McMullen story based on this idea. A number of
>> recordings like this are discovered and playback achieved.

> And of course Benford's _Time Shards_.

Which, if either, was the story in which sounds were recovered from
pottery that had been turned on a potter's wheel? Thanks.