Usenet GoH

Karen Cooper

Jul 29, 1994, 7:21:26 PM7/29/94
Most cons have pretty standard Guest of Honor tags. There's the Pro GoH,
the Fan GoH, the Artist GoH and so forth. To accomodate special purposes
and the whim of the concom, one occasionally finds the "Hungarian GoH,"
the "Lunch GoH," and others.

But has any sf convention invited a Guest because of their net.notoriety?

It seems perfectly sensible, but I've never heard of such a thing.

--
Karen Cooper
Minicon 30

Brad Templeton

Jul 30, 1994, 6:50:34 AM7/30/94
Ask Evelyn if she has ever been a FGoH. She has been nominated for
the best fan writer Hugo a few times, and in those cases it's
clearly because of her net fanwriting, since only a small part of
her fanwriting appears in fanzines.

She hasn't done all that well, so alas the actual voters don't see
much net stuff ... yet ...
--
Brad Templeton, publisher, ClariNet Communications Corp.
The net's #1 electronic newspaper (circulation 65,000) -- in...@clarinet.com

Evelyn C. Leeper

Jul 30, 1994, 9:08:43 AM7/30/94
In article <Ctr24...@clarinet.com>, Brad Templeton <br...@clarinet.com> wrote:
> Ask Evelyn if she has ever been a FGoH. She has been nominated for
> the best fan writer Hugo a few times, and in those cases it's
> clearly because of her net fanwriting, since only a small part of
> her fanwriting appears in fanzines.

Frankly, I would have expected that Saul Jaffe would have been everyone's
first guess.

Mark and I were co-FGoHs at (Covert) Contraption in 1989. However,
that was in Michigan and I suspect we were picked more for our previous
activities in Michigan fandom, and for our appearances in LAN'S
LANTERN, than for our Net activity.

(Coincidentally, my first nomination was the following year.)

As for what is getting me the nominations, I'm not sure. Do a lot of
Netters actually nominate? (Anyone who looks at the figures knows it
doesn't take a lot to get on the ballot, but my placement in the number
of nominations seems oddly skewed from my placement in the final
voting. I wonder what that means?) I know that some people who say
they have nominated me have done it from LAN'S LANTERN rather than from
the Net, and I suspect that appearing in a fanzine that is regularly
nominated for the Hugo is not a bad idea. :-)

On the other hand, some of this year's nominations seem to have been
influenced by discussions on the Net which I started (I think I was the
first one to suggest nominating Resnick as editor and Hickman's
stamps). And last year's nomination of ST: TNG's "Inner Light" was
pretty much spear-headed by Jim Mann on the Net.
--
Evelyn C. Leeper | +1 908 957 2070 | Evelyn...@att.com
"Am I politically correct today? Do I do crystals and New Age?

David E Romm

Jul 30, 1994, 10:43:41 AM7/30/94
In article <kecooper.775524086@maroon>, keco...@maroon.tc.umn.edu (Karen
Cooper) wrote:

I think this question is similar to the one about Teresa Nielson Hayden
being eligible for Best Fanwriter Hugo because of her postings on the net.

Personally, I think writing is writing and her writing on the net counts.
I don't think "net.notariety" is any different than apahacking or
conrunning, in terms of fannish activity. Whether anyone deserves to be
GoH because of any particular activity is up to the concoms of Greater
Fandom.

--
Shockwave: The longest running science fiction radio program in Earth's
history. Tapes available.

"Let a smile be your umbrella, but let a simile be like a bumbershoot."
-- Dave Romm, Shockwave, 'When The Chips Are Down', 1985

Aahz

Jul 30, 1994, 6:11:15 PM7/30/94

Karen Cooper <keco...@maroon.tc.umn.edu> wrote:
>Most cons have pretty standard Guest of Honor tags. There's the Pro GoH,
>the Fan GoH, the Artist GoH and so forth. To accomodate special purposes
>and the whim of the concom, one occasionally finds the "Hungarian GoH,"
>the "Lunch GoH," and others.
>
>But has any sf convention invited a Guest because of their net.notoriety?

Why don't you try inviting Kent Paul Dolan?
--
--- Aahz (@netcom.com)

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6
Androgynous kinky vanilla queer het

The best way to get information on Usenet is not to ask a question,
but to post the wrong information.

Joel K. Furr

Jul 30, 1994, 6:58:11 PM7/30/94
In article <kecooper.775524086@maroon>,
Karen Cooper <keco...@maroon.tc.umn.edu> wrote:

Depends on what you call notoriety, Karen.

If anyone wants to invite me due to my status as the Big Kahuna of the
famous alt.fan.lemurs newsgroup, Old Hat of alt.folklore.urban, moderator
of soc.history.war.world-war-ii, alt.folklore.suburban, and
comp.society.folklore, Great Conspirator of the us.* hierarchy, and
creator of more alt.* hierarchy groups than anyone else, not to mention
being the seller of the immensely popular Serdar Argic t-shirts, I'm
available.

Joel K. Furr

Jul 31, 1994, 11:02:24 AM7/31/94
In article <hazelCt...@netcom.com>,
Hazel Boston-Baden <hazel...@netcom.com> wrote:
>I think it's ironic, given the recent guest-of-honor threads on the
>fandom groups, that I've read more of Joel Rosenberg's writing than
>yours... Just the way the cookie bounces. (Chin up, Joel, some of us
>*have* heard of you!)

No doubt. I just don't ever post to the Star Trek, Star Wars, Dr. Who, or
basic rec.arts.sf.* groups, so I wouldn't be as famous. But if you're
looking for a genuine net.personality who works hard for his infamy,
you've got one, right here. :)

Incidentally, if anyone gets the radio show "OnLine Tonight with David
Lawrence" on Sunday evenings, I'll be on it tonight.

Karen Cooper

Aug 1, 1994, 12:01:07 AM8/1/94
In <Ctr8I...@nntpa.cb.att.com> e...@mtgp003.mt.att.com (Evelyn C. Leeper)
writes:

>Frankly, I would have expected that Saul Jaffe would have been everyone's
>first guess.

Who?

>Mark and I were co-FGoHs at (Covert) Contraption in 1989. However,
>that was in Michigan and I suspect we were picked more for our previous
>activities in Michigan fandom, and for our appearances in LAN'S
>LANTERN, than for our Net activity.

I recognize your name from LL, and from all those posts to news.answers. ;-)
Were we in FAPA together, too?

But the question isn't about notable science fiction fans (or authors
-- Hi, Joel) being Guests at conventions. We all know bunches of suitable
honorees. I wonder if anyone has ever been brought to a con as a Guest
because the concom was impressed with their net.personality and .activity.

All Fandom is not online, but so many of us are. I wonder if we are
making an effort to draw in the good folks from the net.

Karen.

STEVE ADDLESEE

Aug 1, 1994, 8:24:00 AM8/1/94
-> honorees. I wonder if anyone has ever been brought to a con as a
-> Guest because the concom was impressed with their net.personality and
-> .activity.
Well, I wasn't invited to CONduit because I was on a computer network,
but I was invited to CONduit 2 (1992) because of my personality and
activity in the comics field (of course, they were desperate for pro
guests at the time). I've been invited for CONduit 3 and 4 and even
made "King" CONduit as per the theme that year (and I have the crown to
prove it). Does that qualify?
Steven R. Addlesee
King CONduit
steve.a...@lcars.com lcars!steve.addlesee

Joel K. Furr

Aug 1, 1994, 12:00:18 PM8/1/94
In article <kecooper.775713667@maroon>,

Karen Cooper <keco...@maroon.tc.umn.edu> wrote:
>But the question isn't about notable science fiction fans (or authors
>-- Hi, Joel) being Guests at conventions. We all know bunches of suitable
>honorees. I wonder if anyone has ever been brought to a con as a Guest
>because the concom was impressed with their net.personality and .activity.
>
>All Fandom is not online, but so many of us are. I wonder if we are
>making an effort to draw in the good folks from the net.

Dunno.

Now that I've been a featured commentator on the international radio show
"Online Tonight with David Lawrence" I expect many more people to contact
me about being the Internet Guest of Honor. Obviously, living in North
Carolina, I'd have a harder time making it to a West Coast or overseas
con, but if someone is interested, I'd be willing to see if we could work
things out.
--
Joel Furr(ian): Armenian crook/criminal/wacko, Big Kahuna of alt.fan.lemurs,
Moderator of alt.folklore.suburban and comp.society.folklore, Co-Moderator

David DeLaney

Aug 1, 1994, 1:38:30 PM8/1/94
aa...@netcom.com (Aahz) writes:
>Karen Cooper <keco...@maroon.tc.umn.edu> wrote:
>>Most cons have pretty standard Guest of Honor tags. There's the Pro GoH,
>>the Fan GoH, the Artist GoH and so forth. To accomodate special purposes
>>and the whim of the concom, one occasionally finds the "Hungarian GoH,"
>>the "Lunch GoH," and others.
>>
>>But has any sf convention invited a Guest because of their net.notoriety?
>
>Why don't you try inviting Kent Paul Dolan?

Aack! No!
How could you even
suggest such a thing?

Dave "I wasn't even here
and I know about him" DeLaney
--
\/David DeLaney: d...@utkux.utcc.utk.edu; "It's not the pot that grows the flower
Love is all it takes to make a family" - R&P. Disclaimer: IMHO; VRbeableFUTPLEX

Martin Schafer

Aug 1, 1994, 1:53:49 PM8/1/94
In article <kecooper.775524086@maroon> keco...@maroon.tc.umn.edu (Karen Cooper) writes:
>Most cons have pretty standard Guest of Honor tags. There's the Pro GoH,
>the Fan GoH, the Artist GoH and so forth. To accomodate special purposes
>and the whim of the concom, one occasionally finds the "Hungarian GoH,"
>the "Lunch GoH," and others.
>
>But has any sf convention invited a Guest because of their net.notoriety?

I don't think it's neccessary to create a Usenet GOH category for that.
Fan GOH fits perfectly. Usenet activity is simply the form of fanac
that the person is known for. That doesn't answer the question of
course. I bet someone has, what ever their GOH title happened to be.
Actually, I suspect the DD-B's Capricon GOH was based largely on his
net activity (FIDO NET, as much or more than Usenet).

Martin

Dave Howell

Aug 1, 1994, 9:32:05 PM8/1/94
I don't think that a Usenet person was well-enough known in the past, and
may not be now, actually. However, every journalist and their dog has
discovered the Internet, and with the connection of AOL, CIS, and the
like, online fan population has skyrocketed. Maybe it's time.

--
----+
Dave "Snark" Howell sn...@wizards.com

Dick Smith

Aug 2, 1994, 3:09:07 PM8/2/94
Brad Templeton <br...@clarinet.com> wrote:
>> Ask Evelyn if she has ever been a FGoH. She has been nominated for
>> the best fan writer Hugo a few times, and in those cases it's
>> clearly because of her net fanwriting, since only a small part of
>> her fanwriting appears in fanzines.

I'm not sure that it takes a large percentage of fanwriting to get a
nomination. Lan's Lantern readers are clearly nominators. It's not
at all certain that campaigns on the net work: consider this year's
campaigns for net-based fanwriters, none of which are on the ballot.

I'd almost suggest more that it's Evelyn's membership in an active local
club that ensures her of the nomination. This same factor works for
Glyer, even in years when he doesn't write much.

Evelyn C. Leeper <evelyn...@att.com> wrote:
>On the other hand, some of this year's nominations seem to have been
>influenced by discussions on the Net which I started (I think I was the
>first one to suggest nominating Resnick as editor and Hickman's
>stamps). And last year's nomination of ST: TNG's "Inner Light" was
>pretty much spear-headed by Jim Mann on the Net.

Jim had NESFA to spear-head with, which helps confirm my active club
theory. I believe that the stamps were on the NESFA recommendations list,
too.

Best,
--
Dick Smith sm...@ast.dsd.northrop.com
Software Unit Manager home: di...@smith.chi.il.us

Daniel Pawtowski

Aug 4, 1994, 6:36:51 AM8/4/94
In article <kecooper.775524086@maroon>,

Karen Cooper <keco...@maroon.tc.umn.edu> wrote:

>But has any sf convention invited a Guest because of their net.notoriety?

It's happened a couple times that I know of. Steve Pearl, keeper of the
rec.arts.anime FAQ, was a guest at last weekend's Otakon in Pennsylvania,
and he was a guest at I-Con last April in New York. I believe Ryan
Matthews, a Net.Author, has been a GoH at some con in Ohio.

I suspect Megazone, one of the folks at wpi, has been a guest before, but
I can't remember details.

Daniel Pawtowski
VTAS Commando
dpaw...@vt.edu

Evelyn C. Leeper

Aug 4, 1994, 10:07:53 AM8/4/94
In article <31m5kj$9...@ast.dsd.northrop.com>,

Dick Smith <sm...@ast.dsd.northrop.com> wrote:
> Brad Templeton <br...@clarinet.com> wrote:
> >> Ask Evelyn if she has ever been a FGoH. She has been nominated for
> >> the best fan writer Hugo a few times, and in those cases it's
> >> clearly because of her net fanwriting, since only a small part of
> >> her fanwriting appears in fanzines.
>
> I'm not sure that it takes a large percentage of fanwriting to get a
> nomination.
>
> I'd almost suggest more that it's Evelyn's membership in an active local
> club that ensures her of the nomination.

Great theory, but the only local club I'm a member of is the science
fiction club at AT&T, which has between a half dozen and a dozen people
who attend Worldcon, and probably a smaller number who nominate. (I
know what the figures to get on the ballot are--my local club isn't
going to do it.)

I'd almost suggest that getting on the ballot one year makes it easier
to make the ballot succeeding years. That, combined with my convention
reports going to people who run conventions (and also probably are more
active in nominating for Hugos and other fannish activities), is
probably what does it. In other words, it's not necessarily how much
you write, but who you write it for, or at least who reads it.

Note also that the Hugo voters are not the same set of people as the
nominators, and a large number of nominations does not assure one a
win. (I wish it did--I got more nominations last year than any of the
other nominees, at least according to the report I read, but Langford
still got the rocket. And of course now that the Worldcon is in the
British Commonwealth for the next two years, he'll pick up a couple
more. :-) )