Wilfcon IX

david brown s

Jul 27, 1993, 1:40:42 PM7/27/93

WILFCON IX
Waterloo, Ontario
August 14-15, 1993

WILFCON is a nomadic science fiction and fantasy convention
with an emphasis on Canadian content. The con will be held on the
Wilfrid Laurier University campus in the CENTRAL TEACHING
Building (adjacent to Parking Lot 13) starting at 10:00 a.m. on
Saturday, August 14th.

Guests:
Our theme this year is Science Fiction and Fantasy Short
Stories. So instead of one guest author, Wilfcon has an anthology
of Canadian authors: Lynne Armstrong-Jones, James Alan Gardner,
Karl Schroeder, and Jean-Louis Trudel.
Lynne Armstrong-Jones of London, Ontario has had many short
stories published in magazines such as Marion Zimmer Bradley's
Fantasy Magazine & several Darkover anthologies. Her poetry has
been published in Weird Tales.
Waterloo writer James Alan Gardner has won several prominent
writing awards. In 1989 he was the Grand Prize winner of the
Writers of the Future contest for The Children of CrŠche. Het
received the 1991 Aurora Award for Best Short Form Work in
English for Muffin Explains Teleology to the World.
Karl Schroeder of Toronto had two short stories nominated
for the 1993 Aurora Award. The Toy Mill (co-written with David
Nickle) won the 1993 Aurora Award for Best Short Form Work in
English.
Currently pursuing post-graduate studies at the University
of Toronto, Jean-Louis Trudel has had stories published in
English and French since 1984. He won the 1992 Prix Solaris. In
both 1992 and 1993 Jean-Louis received nominations for the Aurora
Award.
Our guest artist is Waterloo's David Okum. David has
exhibited his works in the University of Waterloo Art Gallery as
well as in the Kitchener Art Gallery. He has many published works
including Ah-choo in Girls of Ninja High School, Tales of the
PacRat Universe in Imprint, illustrations and covers for Inscribe
Magazine. He has also illustrated children's books for Young
Canadian Writers Workshop.

Dance: The dance will be held in the intimate setting of Wilf's.
It will start after the banquet.

Banquet: A Chinese style banquet will be held Saturday night.
Tentative menu: Hot & sour soup, shrimp won ton soup, steamed
rice, spring roll, baked spicy squid, chicken with lemon sauce,
pork Peking style, beef & eggplant, a noodle & vegetable dish,
and tea. If you register in advance, the cost will be $13
including tax & tip. Drinks are extra. Cost at the con (if
available) will be $16.

T-shirts: Wilfcon has "Book to the Future!" t-shirts for sale.
They are $10 for a 50/50 cotton blend and $12 for 100% cotton. If

Special Events: * An extra long turkey reading is in the works.
Money raised will be use to support the CUFF fund. * If the
weather is willing a star gazing expedition will be made to a
local observatory Saturday night (Recommended equipment:
flashlight and/or cow patty protection). * Punsters will have
another chance to punish each other in the Pun Contest. * A music
session with Kevin Davies * The David Brown Story Hour returns!

Travel:
By rail: A mere shadow of the past, there are about a half dozen
trains everyday. The station is located in Kitchener. There is a
connecting bus route nearby (ask at the station for directions to
the nearest bus stop). Or you can head northwest on Weber Street
& go left at University Avenue to reach the con, just a 5 km
walk.
By bus: There is regular bus service to Kitchener which stops at
the main bus depot (the Transportation Centre) for Kitchener-
Waterloo. Some of the buses make extra stops at the Universities
(be sure to check). The con is on several local bus routes (7D,
8A, 8B or 7C). Local bus service is every 30-45 minutes on the
weekend. Bus fare is now $1.30 per trip.
By car: Wilfcon is about an hour's drive to the west of Toronto.
Take the 401 to the highway 8 interchange, follow highway 8 WEST
to the Conestoga Parkway, (the Conestoga Parkway is part of
highways 7, 8 & 86) turn right, follow the Parkway to the
University Avenue WEST exit, then west on University to Albert
Street (7th stoplight), turn left, parking will be on your left
(2nd entrance). Use parking lot 13. Use lot 7 if you are staying
at the Bricker residence.

ACCOMMODATION (On campus):
Daily rates for non-air-conditioned, standard student-type
rooms start at $19.95/single or $37.00/double. For those who
prefer air-conditioning & a bit more luxury, rates are $35 per
person. Check-in times are 8am to midnight at the Clara Conrad
residence (next to the main Wilfrid Laurier entrance on
University Avenue). To reserve a room phone 884-1970 ext.2958.
Payment must be cheque or money order (payable to Wilfrid Laurier
University), or cash. They don't accept credit cards.

ACCOMMODATION (Off campus): The Fergus Highland Games are being
held on this weekend and rooms tend to disappear quickly as the
weekend draws near. So make your reservations early. * The
Journey's End is the closest (about 5 blocks from the con site)
at 190 Weber North in Waterloo. Their toll-free reservation
number is 1-800-268-0405. Their rates are $62.58 single, $71.54
double, $76.02 triple and $80.50 for a quad. * The Waterloo Inn
is the next closest. They currently have a special weekend room
rate of $75 per night (with up to 4 people per room). They're
located at 475 King North in Waterloo. Phone (519) 884-
0220. * Slightly further away is Destination Inn, 547 King North
in Waterloo. Their rates are $47.95 single, $54.95 double.
Additional persons are $5. Phone (519) 884-0100.
Write: Wilfcon 9,
c/o 69 Donald St, Apt 6,
Kitchener, Ontario
N2B 3G6

Phone: Dennis (519) 743-9485

E-mail: ai...@mach1.wlu.ca -OR- dbr...@mach1.wlu.ca

ConCom: Annette Ing, Ruth Stuart, David Brown, Dennis Mullin,
Les Roberts

Membership rates:
Adult: $13 to July 31, then $18 at the door.
Child (7-12): half price. Child (under 7): free.
you order a membership at the same time, get a $3 discount.

Bill Higgins-- Beam Jockey

Jul 27, 1993, 4:10:14 PM7/27/93
In article <CAu3r...@mach1.wlu.ca>, dbr...@mach1.wlu.ca (david brown s) writes:
> Our theme this year is Science Fiction and Fantasy Short
> Stories. So instead of one guest author, Wilfcon has an anthology
> of Canadian authors: Lynne Armstrong-Jones, James Alan Gardner,
> Karl Schroeder, and Jean-Louis Trudel.

You're never too old to learn another collective noun.
"An anthology of authors." I like that.

The House Telecommunications Subcommittee |
has scheduled a hearing on the issue for | Bill Higgins
next Wednesday, featuring advocates of | Fermilab
tougher regulation as well as Shari | hig...@fnal.fnal.gov
Lewis, host of a children's show on public | hig...@fnal.bitnet
television, and her sock puppet Lamb Chop. --*N.Y. Times*, 4 Mar 93, p. A9