Jenna Felice, 1976-2001

P Nielsen Hayden

Mar 10, 2001, 5:21:26 PM3/10/01

She was a editor at Tor Books and associate editor of CENTURY
magazine. She was my friend; she was many people's friend.

She never came out of the coma she went into last Sunday, following an
asthma attack. She died this afternoon.

She had been working at Tor -- first as a teenaged intern, then as my
assistant, then as an editor in her own right -- for nearly ten years.

She was, as Teresa observed, the daughter of the regiment. We will
miss her terribly.

--
Patrick Nielsen Hayden : p...@panix.com : http://www.panix.com/~pnh

Alison Hopkins

Mar 10, 2001, 5:20:25 PM3/10/01

P Nielsen Hayden wrote in message ...

>She was a editor at Tor Books and associate editor of CENTURY
>magazine. She was my friend; she was many people's friend.
>
>She never came out of the coma she went into last Sunday, following an
>asthma attack. She died this afternoon.
>
>She had been working at Tor -- first as a teenaged intern, then as my
>assistant, then as an editor in her own right -- for nearly ten years.
>
>She was, as Teresa observed, the daughter of the regiment. We will
>miss her terribly.

Oh, hell. I saw the heading and my stomach turned over, even though I never
knew her - you made her real and vivid and alive. I am so sorry for you, and
all her friends she left behind to miss her.

Ali

Joel Rosenberg

Mar 10, 2001, 5:32:51 PM3/10/01

Damn. I didn't know her well, but I liked her a lot. I'm very sorry
for your loss.

Kip Williams

Mar 10, 2001, 5:33:15 PM3/10/01
P Nielsen Hayden wrote:

> She was a editor at Tor Books and associate editor of CENTURY
> magazine. She was my friend; she was many people's friend.
>
> She never came out of the coma she went into last Sunday, following an
> asthma attack. She died this afternoon.
>
> She had been working at Tor -- first as a teenaged intern, then as my
> assistant, then as an editor in her own right -- for nearly ten years.
>
> She was, as Teresa observed, the daughter of the regiment. We will
> miss her terribly.

I'm sorry. I never met her, but based on your description, she
should be missed.

--
--Kip (Williams)
amusing the world at http://members.home.net/kipw/

Beth Bernobich

Mar 10, 2001, 5:47:21 PM3/10/01
P Nielsen Hayden wrote:

> She was a editor at Tor Books and associate editor of CENTURY
> magazine. She was my friend; she was many people's friend.

There are no good or easy words for this. I'm so very sorry for your
loss, Patrick, and for all of Jenna's friends.

Beth

Dave Weingart

Mar 10, 2001, 5:55:30 PM3/10/01
One day in Teletubbyland, p...@panix.com said:
>She never came out of the coma she went into last Sunday, following an
>asthma attack. She died this afternoon.

Damn.

The loss of any one of us is a sad thing. When it's someone who's
touched hearts, it's worse.

My condolences to those Jenna left behind her.

--
73 de Dave Weingart KA2ESK This .signature deliberately
mailto:phyd...@liii.com left blank.

Loren Joseph MacGregor

Mar 10, 2001, 6:46:38 PM3/10/01
In rec.arts.sf.fandom P Nielsen Hayden <p...@panix.com> wrote:

>She was, as Teresa observed, the daughter of the regiment. We will
>miss her terribly.

A conundrum: How can you miss some one so much, that you only
knew second-hand?

I don't know.

I'm very sorry.

(No other words. They're blurring.)

-- LJM

Ed Dravecky III

Mar 10, 2001, 7:25:33 PM3/10/01
In rec.arts.sf.fandom P Nielsen Hayden <p...@panix.com> wrote:
> She was a editor at Tor Books and associate editor of CENTURY
> magazine. She was my friend; she was many people's friend.

Damn. I have no words here--just know that my thoughts are with
you and Teresa at this difficult time.

--
Ed Dravecky III
ed3 at panix dot com

Marilee J. Layman

Mar 10, 2001, 7:59:29 PM3/10/01
On 10 Mar 2001 22:21:26 GMT, p...@panix.com (P Nielsen Hayden) wrote:

>She was a editor at Tor Books and associate editor of CENTURY
>magazine. She was my friend; she was many people's friend.
>
>She never came out of the coma she went into last Sunday, following an
>asthma attack. She died this afternoon.
>
>She had been working at Tor -- first as a teenaged intern, then as my
>assistant, then as an editor in her own right -- for nearly ten years.
>
>She was, as Teresa observed, the daughter of the regiment. We will
>miss her terribly.

Oh no. I'm so sorry.

--
Marilee J. Layman
Bali Sterling Beads at Wholesale

David Joseph Greenbaum

Mar 10, 2001, 7:59:01 PM3/10/01
In a fit of divine composition, p...@panix.com inscribed
in fleeting electrons:

>She never came out of the coma she went into last Sunday, following an
>asthma attack. She died this afternoon.

Oh, crap. I'm sorry.

Dave G.
--
Schöner, grüner mond von Alabama, leuchte uns!
Denn wir haben heute hier

Steven H Silver

Mar 10, 2001, 8:14:28 PM3/10/01
P Nielsen Hayden wrote:

> She was a editor at Tor Books and associate editor of CENTURY
> magazine. She was my friend; she was many people's friend.
>
> She never came out of the coma she went into last Sunday, following an
> asthma attack. She died this afternoon.
>
> She had been working at Tor -- first as a teenaged intern, then as my
> assistant, then as an editor in her own right -- for nearly ten years.
>
> She was, as Teresa observed, the daughter of the regiment. We will
> miss her terribly.

From what you've said, she overcame a lot of things to get as far as she
did in such a short time. I'm very sorry she was unable to overcome
this last. Earlier today, Elaine and I were talking about making a
charitable donation. Perhaps we'll look into organizations that
research asthma and make the donation in Jenna's name.

--
Steven H Silver
http://www.sfsite.com/~silverag

Windycon XXVIII Vice-Chair
http://www.windycon.org

Kristopher

Mar 10, 2001, 8:22:24 PM3/10/01
P Nielsen Hayden wrote:

> She was a editor at Tor Books and associate editor of
> CENTURY magazine. She was my friend; she was many
> people's friend.
>
> She never came out of the coma she went into last
> Sunday, following an asthma attack. She died this
> afternoon.
>
> She had been working at Tor -- first as a teenaged
> intern, then as my assistant, then as an editor in her
> own right -- for nearly ten years.
>
> She was, as Teresa observed, the daughter of the
> regiment. We will miss her terribly.

My condolences.

Kristopher

--
There may be some discomfort as you are extracted from reality...

Mary Kay Kare

Mar 10, 2001, 8:58:32 PM3/10/01
In article <98e9oc$nlk$5...@lure.pipex.net>, "Alison Hopkins"
<fn...@dial.pipex.com> wrote:

I'm piggybacking because I never saw the original message. What Ali says
goes for me too. I'm so, so sorry.

MKK

--
"Books you've bought and shelved but not yet read emit a gentle, beneficial
radiation, and when you finally do read them they're almost old friends."

Alma Hromic

Mar 10, 2001, 9:38:12 PM3/10/01
On 10 Mar 2001 22:21:26 GMT, p...@panix.com (P Nielsen Hayden) wrote:

>She was a editor at Tor Books and associate editor of CENTURY
>magazine. She was my friend; she was many people's friend.

although i never knew her, through your words, she became my friend
too. i hoped that you would post a different ending to your original
message.

i am deeply sorry.

A.

*****************************
"All roads are long that lead to one's heart's desire."
Joseph Conrad

Dan Goodman

Mar 10, 2001, 10:02:07 PM3/10/01
On 10 Mar 2001 22:21:26 GMT, p...@panix.com (P Nielsen Hayden) wrote:

>She was a editor at Tor Books and associate editor of CENTURY
>magazine. She was my friend; she was many people's friend.
>
>She never came out of the coma she went into last Sunday, following an
>asthma attack. She died this afternoon.
>
>She had been working at Tor -- first as a teenaged intern, then as my
>assistant, then as an editor in her own right -- for nearly ten years.
>
>She was, as Teresa observed, the daughter of the regiment. We will
>miss her terribly.

My sympathies to you, and everyone else who misses her.

Dan Goodman
dsg...@visi.com
Whatever you wish for me, may you have twice as much.
http://www.visi.com/~dsgood/index.html
Whatever you wish for me, may you have twice as much.

Dave Slusher

Mar 10, 2001, 10:41:19 PM3/10/01
This is terrible. I'm very sorry for your loss.

Kevin J. Maroney

Mar 10, 2001, 11:00:52 PM3/10/01
On 10 Mar 2001 22:21:26 GMT, p...@panix.com (P Nielsen Hayden) wrote:
>She was a editor at Tor Books and associate editor of CENTURY
>magazine. She was my friend; she was many people's friend.

I suppose I am lucky to have reached my current advanced age without
losing a friend so close before now. But I have a hard time believing
that I am lucky in anything right now.

Moo, Jenna.

--
Kevin J. Maroney | kmar...@ungames.com
"I'll be right here if you need me."--Flex Mentallo

Geri Sullivan

Mar 10, 2001, 11:17:19 PM3/10/01

Indeed. Me, too.

Sympathies to all involved. Mixed in with my sadness is gladness that
Jenna had such wonderful friends, that she found Tor and that Tor found
her. That was a goodness.

Geri
--
Geri Sullivan g...@toad-hall.com

LAFF

Mar 10, 2001, 11:09:44 AM3/10/01
'tis said that on 10 Mar 2001 22:21:26 GMT, p...@panix.com (P Nielsen
Hayden) wrote:

> She was a editor at Tor Books and associate editor of CENTURY
> magazine. She was my friend; she was many people's friend.
>
> She never came out of the coma she went into last Sunday, following an
> asthma attack. She died this afternoon.

I am very sorry to read this. I have been praying for her since your
first post about her. My condolences to you, Teresa, and her other
family and friends.

--
Lois Fundis lfu...@weir.net
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Cockpit/9377/handy-dandy.html

"One reason I like to highlight reading is, reading is the beginnings of
the ability to be a good student. And if you can't read, it's going to be
hard to realize dreams, it's going to be hard to go to college. So when
your teachers say, read--you ought to listen to her."
-- former Texas Gov. George W. Bush at Nalle Elementary School,
Washington, D.C., Feb 9, 2001

Douglas Berry

Mar 10, 2001, 11:32:16 PM3/10/01
On 10 Mar 2001 22:21:26 GMT, a wanderer, known to us only as
p...@panix.com (P Nielsen Hayden) warmed at our fire and told this
tale:

>She never came out of the coma she went into last Sunday, following an
>asthma attack. She died this afternoon.

Aw damn.

>She was, as Teresa observed, the daughter of the regiment. We will
>miss her terribly.

Like many others, I never knew her, but your description made me
appreciate her and her effect on others.

Keep her in your heart.

--

Douglas E. Berry grid...@mindspring.com
http://gridlore.home.mindspring.com/

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as
when they do it from religious conviction."
Blaise Pascal (1623-1662), Pense'es, #894.

Cally Soukup

Mar 10, 2001, 11:27:41 PM3/10/01
In rec.arts.sf.fandom P Nielsen Hayden <p...@panix.com> wrote:

> She was a editor at Tor Books and associate editor of CENTURY
> magazine. She was my friend; she was many people's friend.

I'm so very sorry.

--
"I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend
to the death your right to say it." -- Beatrice Hall

Cally Soukup sou...@pobox.com

Timothy A. McDaniel

Mar 10, 2001, 11:57:49 PM3/10/01
In article <98eecu$g75$1...@news.efn.org>,

Loren Joseph MacGregor <lmac...@efn.org> wrote:
>In rec.arts.sf.fandom P Nielsen Hayden <p...@panix.com> wrote:
>>She was, as Teresa observed, the daughter of the regiment. We will
>>miss her terribly.
>
>A conundrum: How can you miss some one so much, that you only
>knew second-hand?

Indeed I miss her, and from just reading a few articles about her.

I gather from what people wrote of her language that it's fitting to
type what I said aloud:

Aw, FUCK.

--
Tim McDaniel is tm...@jump.net; if that fail,
tm...@us.ibm.com is my work account.

Richard Horton

Mar 11, 2001, 12:08:34 AM3/11/01
On 10 Mar 2001 22:21:26 GMT, p...@panix.com (P Nielsen Hayden) wrote:

>She was a editor at Tor Books and associate editor of CENTURY
>magazine. She was my friend; she was many people's friend.
>
>She never came out of the coma she went into last Sunday, following an
>asthma attack. She died this afternoon.
>
>She had been working at Tor -- first as a teenaged intern, then as my
>assistant, then as an editor in her own right -- for nearly ten years.
>
>She was, as Teresa observed, the daughter of the regiment. We will
>miss her terribly.

I am so sorry. My deepest sympathies.
--
Rich Horton | Stable Email: mailto://richard...@sff.net
Home Page: http://www.sff.net/people/richard.horton

Kate Schaefer

Mar 11, 2001, 12:14:16 AM3/11/01
I'm so sorry.

James Nicoll

Mar 11, 2001, 12:18:30 AM3/11/01
I didn't know her but this is a great shame.

--
"Somehow I managed to get a job as an apprentice structural engineering
draughtsman, where I was supposed to design buildings which people would

Sea Wasp

Mar 11, 2001, 12:22:35 AM3/11/01
P Nielsen Hayden wrote:

> She was a editor at Tor Books and associate editor of CENTURY
> magazine. She was my friend; she was many people's friend.
>
> She never came out of the coma she went into last Sunday, following an
> asthma attack. She died this afternoon.

My condolences. As an asthmatic myself, I can only say the thought of
dying that way is horrifying and my sympathies lie with all those left
behind.

--
Sea Wasp http://www.wizvax.net/seawasp/index.html
/^\

Ellen Datlow

Mar 11, 2001, 12:32:43 AM3/11/01
It turns out that the doctors do not believe Jenna stopped
breathing because of her asthma.
They think it might have been an acute allergic reaction to
something--they don't know what and they'll
probably never know.
Although this doesn't change anything for Jenna I thought the
asthmatics on this newsgroup might
worry slightly less about such a thing happening to them.
Ellen Datlow

--

Ellen Datlow
Fiction Editor

Nalo Hopkinson

Mar 11, 2001, 12:37:10 AM3/11/01
NH: I'm going to miss Jenna. I'm very sad tonight.

-nalo

Sea Wasp

Mar 11, 2001, 12:35:39 AM3/11/01
Ellen Datlow wrote:

> It turns out that the doctors do not believe Jenna stopped
> breathing because of her asthma.
> They think it might have been an acute allergic reaction to
> something--they don't know what and they'll
> probably never know.
> Although this doesn't change anything for Jenna I thought the
> asthmatics on this newsgroup might
> worry slightly less about such a thing happening to them.

*wry grin*

I'm afraid that's only comforting to those of us who don't also have
allergies... Which, unfortunately, is not a group that includes me.

I'm not TOO worried about it -- I've survived for 36 years with it
all -- but it remains the single most terrifying way to die I can
imagine and my sympathies are also with the young lady herself, even
though she's now beyond their mattering to her.

Lisa A Leutheuser

Mar 10, 2001, 11:26:38 PM3/10/01
In article <slrn9al9u...@pnh-1.dsl.speakeasy.net>,

P Nielsen Hayden <p...@panix.com> wrote:

>She was, as Teresa observed, the daughter of the regiment. We will
>miss her terribly.

I met Jenna a few years ago at Confluence. We traded book
recommendations. I just don't know what to say. I am sorry.

--
Lisa Leutheuser
eal (at) umich.edu

mike weber

Mar 11, 2001, 1:04:01 AM3/11/01
On 10 Mar 2001 22:21:26 GMT, p...@panix.com (P Nielsen Hayden) typed

>She was a editor at Tor Books and associate editor of CENTURY
>magazine. She was my friend; she was many people's friend.
>
>She never came out of the coma she went into last Sunday, following an
>asthma attack. She died this afternoon.

I'm sorry.
--
Your mouse has moved. Windows NT must be restarted for the
change to take effect. Reboot now? [ OK ]

Bernard Peek

Mar 10, 2001, 7:17:59 PM3/10/01
In message <slrn9al9u...@pnh-1.dsl.speakeasy.net>, P Nielsen
Hayden <p...@panix.com> writes

>She was a editor at Tor Books and associate editor of CENTURY
>magazine. She was my friend; she was many people's friend.
>
>She never came out of the coma she went into last Sunday, following an
>asthma attack. She died this afternoon.
>
>She had been working at Tor -- first as a teenaged intern, then as my
>assistant, then as an editor in her own right -- for nearly ten years.
>
>She was, as Teresa observed, the daughter of the regiment. We will
>miss her terribly.

I'm flashing back to the time when I saw a TV documentary about Richard
Feynman. Here was someone that I wanted to have met, and could have met,
but I didn't find out about them until it was too late.

Damn.

--
Bernard Peek
b...@shrdlu.com

Phil Fraering

Mar 10, 2001, 6:53:07 PM3/10/01
p...@panix.com (P Nielsen Hayden) writes:

> She never came out of the coma she went into last Sunday, following an
> asthma attack. She died this afternoon.

I never knew her, but I'm sorry to hear about that.

Just about the only thing I think I can say is that I hope she wasn't
in any pain.

Phil

john o simon

Mar 11, 2001, 1:31:16 AM3/11/01
Didn't know her, but I'm very sorry. 1976-2001 is altogether too short.

John

David Dyer-Bennet

Mar 11, 2001, 1:51:36 AM3/11/01
p...@panix.com (P Nielsen Hayden) writes:

> She was a editor at Tor Books and associate editor of CENTURY
> magazine. She was my friend; she was many people's friend.
>

> She never came out of the coma she went into last Sunday, following an
> asthma attack. She died this afternoon.

Oh hell. I'm so sorry.

--
David Dyer-Bennet / Welcome to the future! / dd...@dd-b.net
SF: http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/ Minicon: http://www.mnstf.org/minicon/

Ray Radlein

Mar 11, 2001, 2:41:44 AM3/11/01
Mary Kay Kare wrote:

> "Alison Hopkins" <fn...@dial.pipex.com> wrote:
>
> > P Nielsen Hayden wrote in message ...
> > >
> > >She was a editor at Tor Books and associate editor of CENTURY
> > >magazine. She was my friend; she was many people's friend.
> > >
> > >She never came out of the coma she went into last Sunday,
> > >following an asthma attack. She died this afternoon.
> > >
> > >She had been working at Tor -- first as a teenaged intern, then
> > >as my assistant, then as an editor in her own right -- for
> > >nearly ten years.
> > >
> > >She was, as Teresa observed, the daughter of the regiment. We
> > >will miss her terribly.
> >
> > Oh, hell. I saw the heading and my stomach turned over, even
> > though I never knew her - you made her real and vivid and alive.
> > I am so sorry for you, and all her friends she left behind to
> > miss her.
> >
> I'm piggybacking because I never saw the original message.

And I wish that I hadn't.

> What Ali says goes for me too. I'm so, so sorry.

Same here. Awful. Just awful.

- Ray R.

"But at my back I alwaies hear
Magneto's minions hurrying near"
- Marvell Comics, "The Mysterious Men of X"

Ray Radlein - r...@learnlink.emory.edu
homepage coming soon! wooo, wooo.

Ide Cyan

Mar 11, 2001, 2:09:17 AM3/11/01
P Nielsen Hayden wrote:

> She was a editor at Tor Books and associate editor of CENTURY
> magazine. She was my friend; she was many people's friend.
>
> She never came out of the coma she went into last Sunday, following an
> asthma attack. She died this afternoon.
>
> She had been working at Tor -- first as a teenaged intern, then as my
> assistant, then as an editor in her own right -- for nearly ten years.
>
> She was, as Teresa observed, the daughter of the regiment. We will
> miss her terribly.

My sympathies.

Sharon L Sbarsky

Mar 11, 2001, 3:03:49 AM3/11/01
In article <lvtlatgg5cq1un6sb...@4ax.com>,

Kevin J. Maroney <kmar...@ungames.com> wrote:
>On 10 Mar 2001 22:21:26 GMT, p...@panix.com (P Nielsen Hayden) wrote:
>>She was a editor at Tor Books and associate editor of CENTURY
>>magazine. She was my friend; she was many people's friend.
>
>I suppose I am lucky to have reached my current advanced age without
>losing a friend so close before now. But I have a hard time believing
>that I am lucky in anything right now.

My condolances to all.

Sharon

Erik V. Olson

Mar 11, 2001, 3:21:03 AM3/11/01
On Sat, 10 Mar 2001 19:59:29 -0500,
Marilee J. Layman <mjla...@erols.com> wrote:
>On 10 Mar 2001 22:21:26 GMT, p...@panix.com (P Nielsen Hayden) wrote:
>

>>She was a editor at Tor Books and associate editor of CENTURY
>>magazine. She was my friend; she was many people's friend.
>>
>>She never came out of the coma she went into last Sunday, following an
>>asthma attack. She died this afternoon.
>>
>>She had been working at Tor -- first as a teenaged intern, then as my
>>assistant, then as an editor in her own right -- for nearly ten years.
>>
>>She was, as Teresa observed, the daughter of the regiment. We will
>>miss her terribly.
>
>Oh no. I'm so sorry.

<Piggybacking>

Too young. Too wrong. Sometimes, I wonder about this universe of ours.

You need anything, let me know.

--
Erik V. Olson: er...@mo.net : http://walden.mo.net/~eriko/

Lenny Bailes

Mar 10, 2001, 8:07:00 PM3/10/01
P Nielsen Hayden wrote:

> She was a editor at Tor Books and associate editor of CENTURY
> magazine. She was my friend; she was many people's friend.
>
> She never came out of the coma she went into last Sunday, following an
> asthma attack. She died this afternoon.
>
> She had been working at Tor -- first as a teenaged intern, then as my
> assistant, then as an editor in her own right -- for nearly ten years.
>
> She was, as Teresa observed, the daughter of the regiment. We will
> miss her terribly.

It's a rip in the soul. If all of this started as quantum
fluctuations in an incredibly small, dense bit of matter, no
one knows yet how that bit got there or what caused the fluctuations.

--
Lenny Bailes | len...@slip.net | http://userwww.sfsu.edu/~lennyb

Damien Neil

Mar 11, 2001, 4:08:05 AM3/11/01
On 10 Mar 2001 22:21:26 GMT,
P Nielsen Hayden <p...@panix.com> wrote:
>She was a editor at Tor Books and associate editor of CENTURY
>magazine. She was my friend; she was many people's friend.

No words can suffice. I am so very sorry.

- Damien

Alison Hopkins

Mar 11, 2001, 4:55:07 AM3/11/01

Erik V. Olson wrote in message ...

>On Sat, 10 Mar 2001 19:59:29 -0500,
> Marilee J. Layman <mjla...@erols.com> wrote:
>>On 10 Mar 2001 22:21:26 GMT, p...@panix.com (P Nielsen Hayden) wrote:
>>

>>>She was a editor at Tor Books and associate editor of CENTURY
>>>magazine. She was my friend; she was many people's friend.
>>>
>>>She never came out of the coma she went into last Sunday, following an
>>>asthma attack. She died this afternoon.
>>>
>>>She had been working at Tor -- first as a teenaged intern, then as my
>>>assistant, then as an editor in her own right -- for nearly ten years.
>>>
>>>She was, as Teresa observed, the daughter of the regiment. We will
>>>miss her terribly.
>>
>>Oh no. I'm so sorry.
>
><Piggybacking>
>
>Too young. Too wrong. Sometimes, I wonder about this universe of ours.

Yes. It makes me angry, this death. People shouldn't die at the age of 25,
and they shouldn't die of asthma. And I know that they do, but I really want
to shout at the universe about it.

Ali

Jo Walton

Mar 11, 2001, 4:50:46 AM3/11/01
In article <slrn9al9u...@pnh-1.dsl.speakeasy.net>

p...@panix.com "P Nielsen Hayden" writes:

> She was a editor at Tor Books and associate editor of CENTURY
> magazine. She was my friend; she was many people's friend.
>
> She never came out of the coma she went into last Sunday, following an
> asthma attack. She died this afternoon.
>
> She had been working at Tor -- first as a teenaged intern, then as my
> assistant, then as an editor in her own right -- for nearly ten years.
>
> She was, as Teresa observed, the daughter of the regiment. We will
> miss her terribly.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrggh.

Jenna Felice is standing
behind a stall in Confluence.
She is talking with passion
about Century, about fiction
caring and confident,
and I decide like her.

Memory, bronze that moment.
Let it fall into time
marked an end, not a beginning,
a stifled promise;
a friendship that was just a bud
which now can never flower.

How it hurts to cast you
into the past tense.
Bronzed into memories
frozen in old attitudes
closed away from change
that melts the living like lost wax.

It hurts us, not you.
The past encloses you like shrinkwrap
no present tides can touch you
you are borne away behind
nothing can hurt you now,
nobody can reach you.

What burns us you cannot know
that life goes on, goes forward
empty of your presence
and we must go on with it
missing you always
leaving you behind.

It catches in the voice
when we must say of you "she was"
and never, now, "she is"
the things unsaid,
the things you'd want to know
that we can never tell you.

It does not help to rage
to fight life as it sweeps us on.
All we can do is live each day
knowing this day may yet be all we have
for us and for our friends
and call our memories precious.

--
Jo J...@bluejo.demon.co.uk
I kissed a kif at Kefk

Martin Wisse

Mar 11, 2001, 5:45:09 AM3/11/01
On Sat, 10 Mar 2001 16:09:44 GMT, lfu...@weir.net (LAFF) wrote:

(piggybacking, didn't get the original post)

>'tis said that on 10 Mar 2001 22:21:26 GMT, p...@panix.com (P Nielsen
>Hayden) wrote:
>

>> She was a editor at Tor Books and associate editor of CENTURY
>> magazine. She was my friend; she was many people's friend.
>>
>> She never came out of the coma she went into last Sunday, following an
>> asthma attack. She died this afternoon.
>
>I am very sorry to read this. I have been praying for her since your
>first post about her. My condolences to you, Teresa, and her other
>family and friends.

My sincerest condolences to family and friends as well.

Martin Wisse
--
The Shrub never inhaled. He snorted.

Alan Winston - SSRL Admin Cmptg Mgr

Mar 11, 2001, 5:53:17 AM3/11/01
In article <slrn9al9u...@pnh-1.dsl.speakeasy.net>, p...@panix.com (P Nielsen Hayden) writes:

>She was a editor at Tor Books and associate editor of CENTURY
>magazine. She was my friend; she was many people's friend.
>
>She never came out of the coma she went into last Sunday, following an
>asthma attack. She died this afternoon.
>
>She had been working at Tor -- first as a teenaged intern, then as my
>assistant, then as an editor in her own right -- for nearly ten years.
>
>She was, as Teresa observed, the daughter of the regiment. We will
>miss her terribly.

My sympathies for your loss. Your earlier post described her so vividly
that this feels like my loss too, even though I never met her.

Damn.

-- Alan

Alan Winston --- WIN...@SSRL.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU
Disclaimer: I speak only for myself, not SLAC or SSRL Phone: 650/926-3056
Physical mail to: SSRL -- SLAC BIN 69, PO BOX 4349, STANFORD, CA 94309-0210

Helen Kenyon

Mar 11, 2001, 5:20:49 AM3/11/01
In article <3AAAAEF9...@snet.net>, Beth Bernobich <beth-
bern...@snet.net> writes

>P Nielsen Hayden wrote:
>>
>> She was a editor at Tor Books and associate editor of CENTURY
>> magazine. She was my friend; she was many people's friend.
>
>There are no good or easy words for this. I'm so very sorry for your
>loss, Patrick, and for all of Jenna's friends.
>
>Beth

I'd like to add my condolences too. It's particular sobering to realise
that Jenna was the same age as my own daughter. It's hard enough to
bear the death of someone who's had a long a fruitful life, doubly hard
to take the death of a young person.

Helen
--
Helen, Gwynedd, Wales *** http://www.baradel.demon.co.uk
Or try http://blaenau.members.beeb.net and follow the town trail

Irina Rempt

Mar 10, 2001, 6:13:49 AM3/10/01
Loren Joseph MacGregor wrote:

> A conundrum: How can you miss some one so much, that you only
> knew second-hand?

Yes, me too. I prayed for her in church this morning and told people
about her death, though they didn't even know who she was. Sympathies
from all of us.

Irina

--
ir...@valdyas.org
http://www.valdyas.org/irina/index.html (English)

Janet Kegg

Mar 11, 2001, 7:30:49 AM3/11/01

Yes. Oh, yes.

I am so sorry to hear that Jenna didn't make it. I didn't know her but
I weep for her and for every one whose life she touched and enriched.

My heartfelt sympathies to all.

-- Janet

Vlatko Juric-Kokic

Mar 11, 2001, 9:05:16 AM3/11/01
On Sat, 10 Mar 2001 22:20:25 -0000, "Alison Hopkins"
<fn...@dial.pipex.com> wrote:

>P Nielsen Hayden wrote in message ...
>>

>>She was a editor at Tor Books and associate editor of CENTURY
>>magazine. She was my friend; she was many people's friend.
>>
>>She never came out of the coma she went into last Sunday, following an
>>asthma attack. She died this afternoon.
>>
>>She had been working at Tor -- first as a teenaged intern, then as my
>>assistant, then as an editor in her own right -- for nearly ten years.
>>
>>She was, as Teresa observed, the daughter of the regiment. We will
>>miss her terribly.
>

>Oh, hell. I saw the heading and my stomach turned over, even though I never
>knew her - you made her real and vivid and alive. I am so sorry for you, and
>all her friends she left behind to miss her.

Ditto. My condolences.

vlatko
--
_Neither Fish Nor Fowl_
http://www.webart.hr/nrnm/eng/index.htm

kcam...@cix.compulink.co.uk

Mar 11, 2001, 9:32:28 AM3/11/01
Nielsen Hayden) wrote:

> She was a editor at Tor Books and associate editor of CENTURY
> magazine. She was my friend; she was many people's friend.
>
> She never came out of the coma she went into last Sunday, following an
> asthma attack. She died this afternoon.

So sorry to hear of this.

We never can tell when our allotted time has come. The best we can do is
the best we can for as long as we can. From your vivid picture of her, it
sounds like that's just what she did. I regret not knowing her.

Kim

Loren MacGregor

Mar 11, 2001, 9:54:10 AM3/11/01
Alison Hopkins wrote:

> Yes. It makes me angry, this death. People shouldn't die at the age of 25,
> and they shouldn't die of asthma. And I know that they do, but I really want
> to shout at the universe about it.

When I was a working respiratory therapist, I had doctors yell at me
because I told them to take asthma seriously. I was basically told,
"People choose to have asthma. It is a psychological disease."

Shall I post this? It's just bitter ranting.

Yeah, I guess I shall.

-- LJM

Arwel Parry

Mar 11, 2001, 8:11:16 AM3/11/01
In article <slrn9al9u...@pnh-1.dsl.speakeasy.net>, P Nielsen
Hayden <p...@panix.com> writes

>She never came out of the coma she went into last Sunday, following an
>asthma attack. She died this afternoon.

My condolences to all who knew her. 1976-2001 are terribly close
dates...

--
Arwel Parry
http://www.cartref.demon.co.uk/

John Dallman

Mar 11, 2001, 10:20:00 AM3/11/01
p...@panix.com (P Nielsen Hayden) wrote:

> She never came out of the coma she went into last Sunday, following an
> asthma attack. She died this afternoon.

I'm sorry.

I couldn't find anything sensible to say to your earlier posting
describing her and the accident; you brought her alive then as a
wonderful person who'd been made by finding Tor. I guess all that
we can say is that she had a merry life for a few years.

Waaaaa!

---
John Dallman j...@cix.co.uk

Rob Hansen

Mar 11, 2001, 10:34:14 AM3/11/01
On 10 Mar 2001 22:21:26 GMT, p...@panix.com (P Nielsen Hayden) wrote:

>She was a editor at Tor Books and associate editor of CENTURY
>magazine. She was my friend; she was many people's friend.
>

>She never came out of the coma she went into last Sunday, following an
>asthma attack. She died this afternoon.
>

>She had been working at Tor -- first as a teenaged intern, then as my
>assistant, then as an editor in her own right -- for nearly ten years.
>
>She was, as Teresa observed, the daughter of the regiment. We will
>miss her terribly.

I'm so sorry for your loss.
--

Rob Hansen
Home Page: http://www.fiawol.demon.co.uk/rob/

RE-ELECT GORE IN 2004.

Rachael Lininger

Mar 11, 2001, 10:37:10 AM3/11/01
In article <slrn9al9u...@pnh-1.dsl.speakeasy.net>,

P Nielsen Hayden <p...@panix.com> wrote:
>She was a editor at Tor Books and associate editor of CENTURY
>magazine. She was my friend; she was many people's friend.
>
>She never came out of the coma she went into last Sunday, following an
>asthma attack. She died this afternoon.
>
>She had been working at Tor -- first as a teenaged intern, then as my
>assistant, then as an editor in her own right -- for nearly ten years.
>
>She was, as Teresa observed, the daughter of the regiment. We will
>miss her terribly.

I'm very sorry. She was exactly my age.

Rachael

--
Rachael | "Though astronomy is a relatively safe hobby,
Lininger | keep in mind that stars are very, very hot and will burn

Laura Haywood-Cory

Mar 11, 2001, 10:35:29 AM3/11/01
Kevin J. Maroney <kmar...@ungames.com> wrote:
> On 10 Mar 2001 22:21:26 GMT, p...@panix.com (P Nielsen Hayden) wrote:
>>She was a editor at Tor Books and associate editor of CENTURY
>>magazine. She was my friend; she was many people's friend.

> I suppose I am lucky to have reached my current advanced age without

> losing a friend so close before now. But I have a hard time believing
> that I am lucky in anything right now.

You're in my thoughts.

-Laura
--
Laura Haywood-Cory
Research Triangle SF Society - http://www.rtsfs.org

Alison Hopkins

Mar 11, 2001, 10:50:29 AM3/11/01

Loren MacGregor wrote in message <3AAB91FF...@home.com>...

Too right, post it. And those doctors were betraying whatever oath they
supposedly took. I am very glad that both my doctor and practice nurse take
my (very mild) asthma seriously, and nag me to have check ups and flu shots.

I think what this also made me think of today is that so thin dividing line
between health and death that exists sometimes, and that something so, oh,
commonplace, and taken for granted can be the destroyer. A century ago,
scarlet fever was one of the great killers. Before antibiotics, the
pneumonia I had nine years ago could easily have been fatal. In the UK,
three million people or more have asthma, and it's so common that it's
forgotten that it can kill. My best friend's mother died of sarcoidosis of
all things, which should not be a killer at all. (And a stupid bloody virus
leaves you unable to walk for three days, but that's besides the point and
self pity, to boot. :)

It made me think about how fragile our grip on life can be, and how we
should treasure it, and never, ever take anyone we love for granted. And be
damned if that's a cliché, I am now going to go and hug Dave and the cat.

Ali

Ken MacLeod

Mar 11, 2001, 8:56:53 AM3/11/01
In article <slrn9al9u...@pnh-1.dsl.speakeasy.net>, P Nielsen
Hayden <p...@panix.com> writes

>She was a editor at Tor Books and associate editor of CENTURY
>magazine. She was my friend; she was many people's friend.
>
>She never came out of the coma she went into last Sunday, following an
>asthma attack. She died this afternoon.

I'm really sorry to hear this. Condolences to all who knew her.

--
Ken MacLeod

Morgan E. Smith

Mar 11, 2001, 11:59:33 AM3/11/01

On 10 Mar 2001, P Nielsen Hayden wrote:

> She was a editor at Tor Books and associate editor of CENTURY
> magazine. She was my friend; she was many people's friend.
>
> She never came out of the coma she went into last Sunday, following an
> asthma attack. She died this afternoon.
>

> She had been working at Tor -- first as a teenaged intern, then as my
> assistant, then as an editor in her own right -- for nearly ten years.
>
> She was, as Teresa observed, the daughter of the regiment. We will
> miss her terribly.
>

> --
> Patrick Nielsen Hayden : p...@panix.com : http://www.panix.com/~pnh

No words. No words at all.

It just seems so - so pointless, I guess.

I never knew her, but I'll miss her, all the same.

Morgan Smith

Ben Yalow

Mar 11, 2001, 12:12:48 PM3/11/01

>She was, as Teresa observed, the daughter of the regiment. We will
>miss her terribly.

Include me in that "we", and my sympathies to all.

>--
>Patrick Nielsen Hayden : p...@panix.com : http://www.panix.com/~pnh

Ben
--
Ben Yalow yb...@panix.com
Not speaking for anybody

Doug Wickstrom

Mar 11, 2001, 12:28:29 PM3/11/01
On 10 Mar 2001 22:21:26 GMT, in message
<slrn9al9u...@pnh-1.dsl.speakeasy.net>
p...@panix.com (P Nielsen Hayden) excited the ether to say:

>She was a editor at Tor Books and associate editor of CENTURY
>magazine. She was my friend; she was many people's friend.
>
>She never came out of the coma she went into last Sunday, following an
>asthma attack. She died this afternoon.

I am so very sorry, Patrick. My condolences.

--
Doug Wickstrom
"Und Kinder wachsen auf mit tiefen Augen,

Rachel Brown

Mar 11, 2001, 1:19:51 PM3/11/01
This is tragic.

I posted not long ago about the experience of waking up and, before even
opening your eyes, remembering that someone is dead. I did that today, and
I never even knew her.

My heartfelt condolences to all her friends.

Rachel

She was a vixen when she went to school,
And though she be but little, she is fierce

William Shakespeare, "A Midsummer Night's Dream"

Marty Helgesen

Mar 11, 2001, 1:18:05 PM3/11/01
In article <slrn9al9u...@pnh-1.dsl.speakeasy.net>, p...@panix.com (P Nielsen Hayden) says:

>She was a editor at Tor Books and associate editor of CENTURY
>magazine. She was my friend; she was many people's friend.
>
>She never came out of the coma she went into last Sunday, following an
>asthma attack. She died this afternoon.
>
>She had been working at Tor -- first as a teenaged intern, then as my
>assistant, then as an editor in her own right -- for nearly ten years.
>
>She was, as Teresa observed, the daughter of the regiment. We will
>miss her terribly.

I'm very sorry. My condolences to you, Teresa, and everyone else who knew her.

-------

Marty Helgesen
Bitnet: mnhcc@cunyvm Internet: mn...@cunyvm.cuny.edu

Live Lent in the fast lane.

Help outlaw spam. For further information see http://www.cauce.org/

Brian M. Scott

Mar 11, 2001, 12:31:53 PM3/11/01
On 10 Mar 2001 22:21:26 GMT, p...@panix.com (P Nielsen Hayden) wrote:

[...]

>She never came out of the coma she went into last Sunday, following an
>asthma attack. She died this afternoon.

Damn; I was hoping .... 25 is far too few.

Brian M. Scott

Carl Dershem

Mar 11, 2001, 1:30:30 PM3/11/01