Check the thermometer in Hell

311 views
Skip to first unread message

Brenda Clough

unread,
Feb 12, 2011, 7:47:59 PM2/12/11
to
... because somebody has just optioned ATLANTA NIGHTS's film rights.

Brenda
--
My latest novel SPEAK TO OUR DESIRES is available exclusively from Book
View Cafe.
http://www.bookviewcafe.com/index.php/Brenda-Clough/Novels/Speak-to-Our-Desires-Chapter-01

Michelle Bottorff

unread,
Feb 12, 2011, 8:14:04 PM2/12/11
to
Brenda Clough <Brenda...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> ... because somebody has just optioned ATLANTA NIGHTS's film rights.


O.0

At least if they do make a movie of it, they can't be acused of
"ruining" the source material.

--
Michelle Bottorff -> Chelle B. -> Shelby
L. Shelby, Writer http://www.lshelby.com/
Livejournal http://lavenderbard.livejournal.com/
rec.arts.sf.composition FAQ http://www.lshelby.com/rasfcFAQ.html

Brenda Clough

unread,
Feb 12, 2011, 9:33:45 PM2/12/11
to
On 2/12/2011 8:14 PM, Michelle Bottorff wrote:
> Brenda Clough<Brenda...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> ... because somebody has just optioned ATLANTA NIGHTS's film rights.
>
>
> O.0
>
> At least if they do make a movie of it, they can't be acused of
> "ruining" the source material.
>


All the money is going to SFWA's EMF fund.

pat bowne

unread,
Feb 13, 2011, 2:31:30 PM2/13/11
to
> View Cafe.http://www.bookviewcafe.com/index.php/Brenda-Clough/Novels/Speak-to-O...

Congrats!

Pat Bowne
'Advice from Pigeons' now out in all e-formats: http://www.raosyth.com

Will in New Haven

unread,
Feb 13, 2011, 2:36:52 PM2/13/11
to
> View Cafe.http://www.bookviewcafe.com/index.php/Brenda-Clough/Novels/Speak-to-O...

Cool about your novel. I don't know ATLANTA NIGHTS.

--
Will in New Haven

J.Pascal

unread,
Feb 13, 2011, 3:07:09 PM2/13/11
to
On Feb 13, 12:36 pm, Will in New Haven

I didn't remember for sure, but I had a suspicion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlanta_Nights

As for optioning the novel... Brenda, do you have more details?

-Julie

Dorothy J Heydt

unread,
Feb 13, 2011, 4:53:51 PM2/13/11
to
In article <12d16c8e-b292-42a0...@w6g2000vbo.googlegroups.com>,

Google it; there's a summary on Wikipedia. Basically, a group
of authors got together to write a "novel", one chapter each,
with little connection between them, to expose a vanity press for
the schlockhouse it was. I gather the press praised the thing to
high heaven and was willing to publish it -- until the hoaxters
revealed the hoax, whereupon the vanity press suddenly decided it
didn't meet their needs. Brenda was one of the contributors.

--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California
djheydt at gmail dot com
Should you wish to email me, you'd better use the gmail edress.
Kithrup's all spammy and hotmail's been hacked.

Brenda Clough

unread,
Feb 13, 2011, 9:10:31 PM2/13/11
to


I gather that it is going to be a documentary, not a dramatization of
what pathetic stub of the already vestigial plot that survived our
ministrations. Since an option is just an option, no filming is yet on
the horizon. It is a long LONG way to your nearest multiplex.
Nevertheless, we are all palpitating with excitement.

Brenda

--
My latest novel SPEAK TO OUR DESIRES is available exclusively from Book
View Cafe.

http://www.bookviewcafe.com/index.php/Brenda-Clough/Novels/Speak-to-Our-Desires-Chapter-01

Brenda Clough

unread,
Feb 13, 2011, 9:12:17 PM2/13/11
to
On 2/13/2011 4:53 PM, Dorothy J Heydt wrote:
> In article<12d16c8e-b292-42a0...@w6g2000vbo.googlegroups.com>,
> Will in New Haven<bill....@taylorandfrancis.com> wrote:
>> On Feb 12, 7:47 pm, Brenda Clough<BrendaWri...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> ... because somebody has just optioned ATLANTA NIGHTS's film rights.
>>>
>>> Brenda
>>> --
>>> My latest novel SPEAK TO OUR DESIRES is available exclusively from Book
>>> View
>> Cafe.http://www.bookviewcafe.com/index.php/Brenda-Clough/Novels/Speak-to-O...
>>
>> Cool about your novel. I don't know ATLANTA NIGHTS.
>
> Google it; there's a summary on Wikipedia. Basically, a group
> of authors got together to write a "novel", one chapter each,
> with little connection between them, to expose a vanity press for
> the schlockhouse it was. I gather the press praised the thing to
> high heaven and was willing to publish it -- until the hoaxters
> revealed the hoax, whereupon the vanity press suddenly decided it
> didn't meet their needs. Brenda was one of the contributors.
>
>
>


My humble goal was to include as many gratuitous profanities as I
possibly could wedge into the thing. My chapter was set in a jail cell;
I did the research by watching CHICAGO on DVD, the version starring
Renee Zerwellger.

Brenda

--
My latest novel SPEAK TO OUR DESIRES is available exclusively from Book
View Cafe.

http://www.bookviewcafe.com/index.php/Brenda-Clough/Novels/Speak-to-Our-Desires-Chapter-01

Dorothy J Heydt

unread,
Feb 13, 2011, 9:35:41 PM2/13/11
to
In article <ija2v6$gno$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,

Brenda Clough <Brenda...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>On 2/13/2011 3:07 PM, J.Pascal wrote:
>> On Feb 13, 12:36 pm, Will in New Haven
>> <bill.re...@taylorandfrancis.com> wrote:
>>> On Feb 12, 7:47 pm, Brenda Clough<BrendaWri...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>> ... because somebody has just optioned ATLANTA NIGHTS's film rights.
>>>
>>>> Brenda
>>>> --
>>>> My latest novel SPEAK TO OUR DESIRES is available exclusively from Book
>>>> View
>Cafe.http://www.bookviewcafe.com/index.php/Brenda-Clough/Novels/Speak-to-O...
>>>
>>> Cool about your novel. I don't know ATLANTA NIGHTS.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Will in New Haven
>>
>> I didn't remember for sure, but I had a suspicion.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlanta_Nights
>>
>> As for optioning the novel... Brenda, do you have more details?
>>
>> -Julie
>
>
>I gather that it is going to be a documentary, not a dramatization of
>what pathetic stub of the already vestigial plot that survived our
>ministrations. Since an option is just an option, no filming is yet on
>the horizon. It is a long LONG way to your nearest multiplex.
>Nevertheless, we are all palpitating with excitement.

I hope it's short and funny. And that the exposure of the vanity
press is painful and humiliating.

Joel Polowin

unread,
Feb 13, 2011, 9:45:30 PM2/13/11
to
On Feb 13, 9:10 pm, Brenda Clough <BrendaWri...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I gather that it is going to be a documentary, not a dramatization of
> what pathetic stub of the already vestigial plot that survived our
> ministrations.  Since an option is just an option, no filming is yet on
> the horizon.  It is a long LONG way to your nearest multiplex.
> Nevertheless, we are all palpitating with excitement.

I note the existence of a Facebook page for the movie:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Atlanta-Nights-The-Movie/146735932047093

Ric Locke

unread,
Feb 13, 2011, 9:51:55 PM2/13/11
to
On Sun, 13 Feb 2011 21:10:31 -0500, Brenda Clough wrote:

> On 2/13/2011 3:07 PM, J.Pascal wrote:
>> On Feb 13, 12:36 pm, Will in New Haven
>> <bill.re...@taylorandfrancis.com> wrote:
>>> On Feb 12, 7:47 pm, Brenda Clough<BrendaWri...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>> ... because somebody has just optioned ATLANTA NIGHTS's film rights.
>>>
>>>> Brenda
>>>> --
>>>> My latest novel SPEAK TO OUR DESIRES is available exclusively from Book
>>>> View Cafe.http://www.bookviewcafe.com/index.php/Brenda-Clough/Novels/Speak-to-O...
>>>
>>> Cool about your novel. I don't know ATLANTA NIGHTS.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Will in New Haven
>>
>> I didn't remember for sure, but I had a suspicion.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlanta_Nights
>>
>> As for optioning the novel... Brenda, do you have more details?
>>
>> -Julie
>
>
> I gather that it is going to be a documentary, not a dramatization of
> what pathetic stub of the already vestigial plot that survived our
> ministrations. Since an option is just an option, no filming is yet on
> the horizon. It is a long LONG way to your nearest multiplex.
> Nevertheless, we are all palpitating with excitement.
>
> Brenda

And, one hopes, investing the munificent payment for the option wisely.
Given 30+ of you, I would estimate that a hot dog and a small soda
apiece would about cover it, provided you didn't demand too many fixin's
on the hot dog. Your stated plan, donating it to SFWA, is probably the
best choice.

Regards,
Ric

David Goldfarb

unread,
Feb 13, 2011, 10:33:27 PM2/13/11
to
In article <LGKst...@kithrup.com>,

Dorothy J Heydt <djh...@kithrup.com> wrote:
>In article <12d16c8e-b292-42a0...@w6g2000vbo.googlegroups.com>,
>Will in New Haven <bill....@taylorandfrancis.com> wrote:
>>Cool about your novel. I don't know ATLANTA NIGHTS.
>
>Google it; there's a summary on Wikipedia. Basically, a group
>of authors got together to write a "novel", one chapter each,
>with little connection between them, to expose a vanity press for
>the schlockhouse it was.

Specifically "Publish America".

Some of the novel was rather amusing: I still distinctly remember
the bit about the sand penguins of the Sahara. The book deliberately
made a sort of grand tour of all the possible sorts of bad, and that
included "so-bad-it's-good" -- although most of it is just the sort
of bad that's just bad.

(It also included "makes no sense", in that there's a chapter which
was generated by computer using a Markov chain process from the
text of the preceding chapters.)

--
David Goldfarb | "All love is unrequited."
gold...@ocf.berkeley.edu |
gold...@csua.berkeley.edu | -- Babylon 5, "Rising Star"

Jim Hetley

unread,
Feb 14, 2011, 3:14:22 PM2/14/11
to
On Feb 12, 7:47 pm, Brenda Clough <BrendaWri...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> View Cafe.http://www.bookviewcafe.com/index.php/Brenda-Clough/Novels/Speak-to-O...

Why have I seen no mention of this on sff.net or the SFWA site?
Hilarity would ensue . . .

Jim

Brenda Clough

unread,
Feb 14, 2011, 6:54:57 PM2/14/11
to


Well it's on -my- topic on sff.net. I cannot be ubiquitous.

Brenda

--
My latest novel SPEAK TO OUR DESIRES is available exclusively from Book
View Cafe.

http://www.bookviewcafe.com/index.php/Brenda-Clough/Novels/Speak-to-Our-Desires-Chapter-01

Brenda Clough

unread,
Feb 14, 2011, 6:55:59 PM2/14/11
to


The vast sums are going to the Emergency Medical Fund.

Brenda

--
My latest novel SPEAK TO OUR DESIRES is available exclusively from Book
View Cafe.

http://www.bookviewcafe.com/index.php/Brenda-Clough/Novels/Speak-to-Our-Desires-Chapter-01

Brenda Clough

unread,
Feb 14, 2011, 6:56:12 PM2/14/11
to


Holy ned!

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages