who wrote this?

Tawei Liao

May 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/17/95

I do not remember where I found this short story, but it is one of the
best that I have come across on the internet. If anybody know who wrote
it, please let me know.

Thanks,

Tawei

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

How The Deep Green Sea Got Its Salt

The family sat contentedly in their living room in their house by the edge of
a sea the color of pistachio pudding. From the fireplace, a slowly dying fire
spread its fading warmth and orange glow through the room.

"Father, please tell us the story of the Deep Green Sea," asked the youngest
child.

"No. It is late, and I am tired. You should be off to bed," the father
replied.

"Oh please, dear," said the mother. "I do so love that story."

"Very well," said the father as the fire sputtered. "Listen closely:

Long ago, in a land far across the Deep Green Sea, there was a village. In
this village lived a young boy. The boy was ordinary in most respects; of
average intelligence, his family neither rich nor poor. But there was one
unusual thing about this boy. He was very sad, and he did not know why.
Every day, he would walk to the end of the pier and cry a single tear into
the Deep Green Sea.

"But father," interrupted the child, "if he was so very sad, why did he only
cry one tear each day?"

"Because his sorrow was so deep that one tear was all his heart could feel,"
replied the father. The fire sputtered again, and the glowing of the embers
dimmed. "Now please do not interrupt.

Now, after several years had passed, the ocean's currents carried his tears
far across the sea. Eventually, they began to wash ashore, one each day, near
where a lovely young watersprite named Wendy lived with her brother. One day,
as she tended to the crabs and mussels that lived by the shore, Wendy noticed
the tears. After the tears had continued for many months, Wendy grew very
concerned. Finally, she went to her brother and said, 'I must find the one
who is crying these tears and try to comfort them.'

'But that is silly!' her brother protested. 'You don't know where they could
be, or how far away. Such a journey would be very dangerous for a young
sprite.'

But Wendy was brave, and her mind was made up. That night she stole away while
her brother slept, and set out on her search.

Her brother's warning, though, proved to be justified, as her journey was beset
by many trials. She was attacked by sharks. Several times she came perilously
close to being entangled in fishing nets carelessly left behind by humans. She
had to fend off sea-witches that wanted to steal her Magic. As the years
passed, the trail became more difficult to follow. The tears grew less
frequent, for the boy had grown too old and weak to leave his house every day.
But still Wendy searched, her determination never flagging.

Finally, she reached the shore of the land where the boy, now a frail and
withered old man, lived. A few questions of the villagers led her to the boy's
home by the edge of the Deep Green Sea. She found him resting on his bed.

'Sir,' said Wendy, 'I have followed the trail of your tears for many years,
searching for you that I might bring you comfort. Please, tell me how I can
ease your Pain.'

'I am deeply touched by your kindness,' replied the boy. 'But I'm afraid you
are too late. I am too old and tired to change my ways. I fear I must take
my Sorrow with me to the grave.'

Wendy pleaded with him desperately, but to no avail. Finally, he bade her
leave him so that he could rest. That night his prediction came true. He
passed away in his sleep, taking his sadness with him. The next day he was
buried near the village's watermelon patch. Wendy was overwhelmed with
bitterness at her failure. To this day she still lives in that land far across
the Deep Green Sea. And every day, she cries a single tear into its depths.
It is said that on especially cold and grey days, the ghost of the boy can be
seen on the pier, weeping with her.

"Now, it is late. You children must go to bed," finished the father, as he
extinguished the last of the fire's dying coals.

"You go to bed too, dear," said the mother. "I will join you soon."

They said their goodnights. The children and father retired to their beds.
The mother walked the short distance to the beach near her home, and wept into
the emerald colored sea.

= Tawei Liao ta...@ucsee.eecs.berkeley.edu =
= http://ucsee.eecs.berkeley.edu/~tawei/ =

rr5...@gmail.com