Skirt of Printed Sunflowers / Will Dockery

Will Dockery

Dec 29, 2015, 8:14:03 AM12/29/15
Skirt of Printed Sunflowers

Girl of these woods and chemicals
we labor for the black pigs of my poetry
for the bone gods of the sea.
For the secret rose you keep for me
under the skirts of printed sunflowers.

There is a hollering and someone has a
dog that barks
your eyes have that recently crying look
and your hair seems as soft
and your smell as sweet
as before.
As that last time you came to my door
in a skirt of printed pastel sunflowers.

But it has been seen that you look
straight through
I fear that you are already gone.
That night you tried to die in my arms
is something that I will not forget
or make sense of
you and your skirt of bright printed sunflowers.

Methinks that you no longer see nothing
and God knows what kind
of love is this
you told me that you never stopped loving me.
But you could never return to me
in your skirt of printed sunflowers.

-Will Dockery

C & C welcome & appreciated.

Bill Evans

Dec 29, 2015, 8:43:17 AM12/29/15
"Will Dockery" <will_d...@outlook.com> wrote:
> Skirt of Printed Sunflowers

> under the skirts of printed sunflowers.
> in a skirt of printed pastel sunflowers.
> you and your skirt of bright printed sunflowers.
> in your skirt of printed sunflowers.

What's distracting to this unpracticed poetry reader is that
in these four lines you have three different descriptions of
the skirt of printed sunflowers. So I slow down and ask
myself: why? It would seem to sing more if you removed
"pastel" and "bright". But you must have a reason for
putting those words in there. I'm curious. What is that
reason?

--
Bill Evans / Box 1224 / Mariposa, CA 95338 / (209)742-4720
pgpkey.mariposabill.com for public key. Key #: 8D8B521B

Will Dockery

Dec 29, 2015, 10:49:58 AM12/29/15
On Tuesday, December 29, 2015 at 8:43:16 AM UTC-5, Bill Evans wrote:
> "Will Dockery" <will_d...@outlook.com> wrote:
> > Skirt of Printed Sunflowers
>

> > under the skirts of printed sunflowers.
> > in a skirt of printed pastel sunflowers.
> > you and your skirt of bright printed sunflowers.
> > in your skirt of printed sunflowers.
>
> What's distracting to this unpracticed poetry reader is that
> in these four lines you have three different descriptions of
> the skirt of printed sunflowers. So I slow down and ask
> myself: why? It would seem to sing more if you removed
> "pastel" and "bright". But you must have a reason for
> putting those words in there. I'm curious. What is that
> reason?

Hello Bill, and thanks for reading... in later revisions those bits were
eventually dropped, as the poem changed in other significant ways... I'll
get back with you about this shortly.

:D

Will Dockery

Dec 29, 2015, 12:34:05 PM12/29/15
"Hieronymous707" wrote in message

> Define welcome and appreciate

I'll give you an example of someone who is not welcome or appreciated pretty
much anywhere. Guys who make posts about his fantasies, in which he
threatens another poster with violence.

Here's one of those kinds of guys who are definitely not welcome or
appreciated just about anwhere:

On Sunday, February 13, 2011 7:33:10 PM UTC Hieronymous Corey
<hieronymous...@gmail.com> wrote:

> http://groups.google.com/group/alt.arts.poetry.comments/msg/32adb0f82192e324?hl=en
>
> Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments, alt.usenet.kooks, alt.fan.karl-
> malden.nose
> From: Barbara's Cat <c...@XSPAMscientist.com>
> Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 19:04:31 -0500
> Subject: Re: My owner is Kevin A. Cannon
>
> > J. Corey Connor said:
> >
> > > For your information, I'm real dude. I'm a real dude, and
> > > if you ever came close to the real life equivolent of
> > > omitting the rest of my "condescending remarks" for my own
> > > good, I promise you it would be the very last thing you
> > > would ever do in this life. That's not a threat, that just
> > > a simple fact. And I do pass through your area on occasion,
> > > and I know who you are, and I'm likely to look you up just
> > > for shits and giggles, so you should have some understanding
> > > of the type of person I am before I get there.
> >
> > That reads like a threat to do physical harm.
> > You are not threating physical harm, are you?
> >
> > --
> > Cm~
> >
> > ***
> >
> > J. Corey Connor said:
> >
> > > Don't piss me off, or I'll kill you.
> >
> > LEAs will find that funny too, eh?
> >
> > --
> > Cm~
> >
> > "You can't push my buttons enough to make me mad, but
> > you can still get yourself really hurt in the process
> > if you're not very careful."
> > - Corey, self-proclaimed bad-ass
> >
> > ***
> >
> > Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments, alt.usenet.kooks, alt.fan.karl-
> > malden.nose
> > From: Meat Plow <mhyw...@yahoo.com>
> > Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 13:29:22 +0000 (UTC)
> > Subject: Re: My owner is Kevin A. Cannon

:D

> of omitting the rest of my
>
> > > That reads like a threat to do physical harm. You are not threating
> > > physical harm, are you?

How's that?

Gus who make violent fantasy threats such as these are not... wait for it...
welcome or appreciated.

:D

Will Dockery

Dec 29, 2015, 1:25:59 PM12/29/15
"Bill Evans" wrote in message
> "Will Dockery" <will_d...@outlook.com> wrote:
>
>> Skirt of Printed Sunflowers
>
>> under the skirts of printed sunflowers.
> in a skirt of printed pastel sunflowers.
> you and your skirt of bright printed sunflowers.
>> in your skirt of printed sunflowers.
>
> What's distracting to this unpracticed poetry reader is that
> in these four lines you have three different descriptions of
> the skirt of printed sunflowers. So I slow down and ask
> myself: why? It would seem to sing more if you removed
> "pastel" and "bright". But you must have a reason for
> putting those words in there. I'm curious. What is that
> reason?

Hello Bill, I've got to run for a while today, but here's a later version of
this poem done in a stage production with music, that shows how the words
you mentioned are finally discarded:

The Ride (Combat Zone) / Will Dockery
https://www.reverbnation.com/artist/video/13999554

Bill Evans

Dec 29, 2015, 7:29:32 PM12/29/15
"Will Dockery" <will_d...@outlook.com> wrote
(as edited for 80-column television):
> Gus who make violent fantasy threats such as these are
> not... wait for it... welcome or appreciated.

I think the world would be better off if everyone used his
Why key a little more often.

Bill Evans

Dec 29, 2015, 7:29:32 PM12/29/15
"Will Dockery" <will_d...@outlook.com> wrote:
> Hello Bill, I've got to run for a while today, but here's a later version of
> this poem done in a stage production with music, that shows how the words
> you mentioned are finally discarded:
>
> The Ride (Combat Zone) / Will Dockery
> https://www.reverbnation.com/artist/video/13999554

I'll be better able to contemplate the poem when I see the
words written down, but no hurry. I ain't going nowhere.

madeforz...@yahoo.com

Dec 31, 2015, 1:11:03 AM12/31/15
No problem.

- It sucked
- You're terrible
- It was horrible
- Poorly "written"
- It was like eating broken glass covered in paprika

Will Dockery

Dec 31, 2015, 4:48:02 AM12/31/15
"Bill Evans" wrote in message
"Will Dockery" <will_d...@outlook.com> wrote
(as edited for 80-column television):

>> Violent fantasy threats such as these are
>> not... wait for it... welcome or appreciated.
>
> I think the world would be better off if everyone used his
> Why key a little more often.

I fixed the problem, mostly.

:D

Will Dockery

Dec 31, 2015, 4:53:44 AM12/31/15
"Bill Evans" wrote in message
"Will Dockery" <will_d...@outlook.com> wrote:

> Hello Bill, I've got to run for a while today, but here's a later version
> of
> this poem done in a stage production with music, that shows how the words
> you mentioned are finally discarded:
>
> The Ride (Combat Zone) / Will Dockery
> https://www.reverbnation.com/artist/video/13999554

I'll be better able to contemplate the poem when I see the
words written down, but no hurry. I ain't going nowhere.

I got them reposted here, yesterday...
this seems to be the last of the revision/rewrites of this poem.

Note that "skirt of printed sunflowers" has become stable by this point:

The Ride (Combat Zone) by Will Dockery:
http://www.archive.org/details/TheRidecombatZoneByWillDockery

Driving through the combat zone
a Rasta steps out
sort of calling my name
a reasonable approximation.
Variation of my street name I guess.
Said he could take me to see Raine
apparently the Rastas have her
locked up in a house
somewhere in the Combat Zone.

Girl of these woods and chemicals
we labor for the black pigs of poetry
for the bone gods of the sea
for the secret rose you keep for me
under the skirts of printed sunflowers.

He wanted money for his information
at which point I was to park and walk.
It seemed very sinister
the thought of Raine held prisoner
But he smoothed it over fairly often.
said I could come back later
when the bad vibes wore down.

There is a hollering and someone has a
dog that barks,
your eyes have that recently crying look
and your hair seems as soft
and your smell as sweet
as before
as that last time you came to my door
in a skirt of printed sunflowers

Rasta gets crazy on me in the car
wanting five dollars
two bucks
anything.
I give him nothing
just smoke and drink.
He's got an ice pick in his hand
makes it sound like he's got a gun.
I'd already heard Raine was in jail
but I didn't expect a Rasta jail.

But it has been seen that you look
straight through
I fear that you are already gone
that night you tried to die in my arms
is something that I will not forget
or make sense of
you and your skirt of printed sunflowers.

The image crossed my mind how it might feel
if he jabbed that icepick into me
a couple of times or more.
Just curious to see if he'd do it or not
could I stop him, I could tell I didn't know.

I think that you no longer see nothing
and God knows what kind
of love is this
you told me that you never stopped loving me
but you could never return to me
in your skirt of sunflowers
in your skirt of sunflowers

I just stare and talk about money.
I bummed a cigarette from him.
I told him I'd be in touch about Raine.
He said
"Man, you crazy."
and walked off.
I went back home to think.

Girl of these woods and chemicals
we labor for the black pigs of poetry
for the bone gods of the sea
for the secret rose you keep for me
under the skirt of printed sunflowers.

-Will Dockery

:D

Bill Evans

Dec 31, 2015, 6:25:16 AM12/31/15
"Will Dockery" <will_d...@outlook.com> posted the final
version of "The Ride (Combat Zone).

Will, I'm not sufficiently educated or experienced in giving
a useful critique of this poem; I'll bet Mike would do a
good job of that.

But it would help me if you could explain a couple of
things. Asking them will make me look like a silly fool,
but I'm down with that.

I look at "Rastas" and think, huh? Does this refer to
Rastafarians, those mild-mannered pot-smoking laid-back
folks from Jamaica? Can that be right? What am I missing?

And what is meant by "black" in "black pigs of poetry"?

madeforz...@yahoo.com

Dec 31, 2015, 1:55:07 PM12/31/15
On Thursday, December 31, 2015 at 6:25:16 AM UTC-5, Bill Evans wrote:
> "Will Dockery" <will_d...@outlook.com> posted the final
> version of "The Ride (Combat Zone).
>
> Will, I'm not sufficiently educated or experienced in giving
> a useful critique of this poem; I'll bet Mike would do a
> good job of that.

Dreckery's "poems" usually exit from the posterior of a hoofed mammal.

> But it would help me if you could explain a couple of
> things.

Good luck with that.

> Asking them will make me look like a silly fool,
> but I'm down with that.

Too late on that.

> I look at "Rastas" and think, huh? Does this refer to
> Rastafarians, those mild-mannered pot-smoking laid-back
> folks from Jamaica? Can that be right? What am I missing?

That Dreckery samples everything and anything which may be smoked?

Will Dockery

Dec 31, 2015, 11:43:15 PM12/31/15
Michael Pendragon wrote:
> On Thursday, December 31, 2015 at 10:28:39 PM UTC-5, Will Dockery wrote:
> > "Michael Pendragon" wrote in message
> > > On Thursday, December 31, 2015 at 12:28:04 PM UTC-5, Will Dockery
> > > wrote:
> > > "Hieronymous707" wrote in message

> > > And he said what he meant.
> > >
> > > A minister's faithful, one hundred percent.
> >
> > Did I write that or did Corey?
>
> Corey. AFAIK you aren't a minister.

I thought he was ordained?

Will Dockery

Jan 7, 2016, 6:53:25 PM1/7/16
"Bill Evans" wrote in message
> Will Dockery wrote:
> > On Thursday, January 7, 2016 at 6:32:24 AM UTC-5, matthewerwwin wrote:
>
>> > Fifth line in the first stanza:
> > >
> > > I would change 'under THE skirts of printed sunflowers'
> > > to just 'under skirts WITH printed sunflowers.'
> > >
> > > Sunflowers don't wear skirts where I come from.
> > >
> > > : )
> >
> > Good call, Matthew, thanks.
>
> No, actually it was a bad call. "Under the skirts of
> printed sunflowers" could mean either "the skirts belonging
> to printed sunflowers" or "the skirts made of, or featuring,
> printed sunflowers". Since everyone knows that the first
> meaning is nonsense, anyone of sufficient good-will would
> automatically see the second meaning. I think Matthew's
> just pulling your chain.

That does seem to be Matthew's main reason for being here, now true.

:D

Will Dockery

Jan 7, 2016, 11:25:43 PM1/7/16
"Bill Evans" wrote in message
>"Will Dockery" wrote:
> Stay tuned, I predict you'll be seeing the "real" Corey soon.
>
>> He's due for a mood swing meltdown an day now... anyone who has been a
>> regular here for a certain length of time will know exactly what I refer
>> to,
>> Bill.
>
> I'll be prepared for one of two things to take place.
>
> I'll be unpleasantly surprised.
>
> Or.
>
> You'll be pleasantly surprised.
>
> Never underestimate the power of people to change for the
> better. Don't count on it, but don't dismiss the
> possibility.
>
> I rather like Corey. I hope that doesn't change (to
> savagely twist an Obamaism).

Well, all this constant badgering he's doing to me over the simple fact that
I found something someone posted on public Usenet to be (unintentionally)
funny, along with the hint of a threat inserted in the badgering, is a sign
that we may be soon seeing the worst from Corey.

And so... it sometimes goes.

:D

Will Dockery

Feb 3, 2016, 10:29:39 AM2/3/16
"Bill Evans" wrote in message
> [...]
Sorry, Bill, but I think this thread got left behind before I explained the
Rastas in all or even partl.

I will get on that soon, now that I have bumped the thread back near the
top.

:)

Will Dockery

Mar 16, 2016, 3:44:23 PM3/16/16
"Bill Evans" wrote in message
> [...]

Bill, hopefully by the time you retun I will have this information, based on
a Bob Marley interview from the late 1970s... which seems to have never been
posted online.

Will Dockery

Jun 18, 2016, 7:59:42 AM6/18/16
Dink wrote in message
> Bill Evans wrote:
> "Will Dockery" <will_d...@outlook.com> posted the final
> version of "The Ride (Combat Zone).
>
>> Will, I'm not sufficiently educated or experienced in giving
>> a useful critique of this poem; I'll bet Mike would do a
>> good job of that.
>
>> But it would help me if you could explain a couple of
>> things.
>
> Good luck with that.
>
>> Asking them will make me look like a silly fool,
>> but I'm down with that.
>
>> I look at "Rastas" and think, huh? Does this refer to
>> Rastafarians, those mild-mannered pot-smoking laid-back
>> folks from Jamaica? Can that be right? What am I missing?
>
> samples everything and anything which may be smoked?

I have smoked some grass in m time, old son... what's your excuse for being
so brain dead, Dink?

:)

Will Dockery

Nov 13, 2016, 8:57:29 PM11/13/16
> Will Dockery wrote:
>> "Michael Pendragon" wrote in message
> >
> > Black pigs of poetry and chemical jungles ... reminds me of a Manson
> > rant.
>
> Oh, all that Helter Skelter and Give Me Shelter stuff..?

Yes. I had this rather poetic compilation of his thoughts in mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4Q3iwO5T8o

I've been a big Manson fan since one of my college roommates played me his
"L.I.E." album back in college. I don't approve of his role in the
Tate-Labianca murders, of course; but I think he's one of the greatest
singer-songwriters to come out of the 60s.

Here's one of his best lyrics:

It's all in the eyes of a dreamer
It's all in the eyes of a man
All the things that we've done in life
And all the things that we've planned

Can the world be sad as it seems
Where are man's hopes
Where are man's dreams
Aw the eyes of a dreamer
In the eyes o' the man

All the songs, have been sung
And all the saints, have been hung
The wars and cries have been wailed
And all the people have been jailed

The world it's yours my friend
It's yours to begin or to end
Oh the eyes of a dreamer
In the eyes of the man

Take nothing from nothing brother
And it's all just the same
For the loser is the winner
And there ain't no blame
It's just the end of the game

The moment, is ever constant in the mind
Everywhere I look the blind lead the blind
Here's your chance to step out of time
There ain't no reason and there ain't no rhyme

For the trouble you bring is the trouble you bring
And a thing is a thing just a thing is a thing
In the eyes of a dreamer
It's in the eyes of a man

It's all in the eyes of a dreamer
It's all in the eyes o' the man
All the things that you've done in life
And all the things that you plan

And here's the recording:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yvAgmRU49c

Is the world, as sad as it seems
Where are your hopes
Where are your dreams
In the eyes of a dreamer
All in the eyes of the man
And you are the man

Just found this, interesting, yet creepy.

Will Dockery

Nov 21, 2016, 10:33:17 AM11/21/16
"Bill Evans" wrote in message
> [...]

Getting back to this question of the Rastaman, this poem tells the same
story from a different angle:

A Convolution in Her

As you fly in your
little red space station
remember me.

Harmonic Fractal Convolution.

We both had our high tech cars
Plymouth.

Patriotic emblems
mojo rise
drink some medicine.

This torrid confederacy
this torn nation
you tickled my back with fingernails
politicians making offers.

You fly in your little red satellite
a country doctor's job
mixing medicine
between jaunts in the solar system.

A pimp Rastaman forcing me to sacrifice
held Raine for a human ransom
another crew member disappeared.

And I flew off to let her sit
I went off into space
with a gold robot bird.

Undercover
crash down
a small little ghost story in Summerville.

Thunderbag in trouble again
dark castle in bright hot Lee County.

Wiped out, crashed out
low expectations
it's to the point
where I wish I'd never admitted loving you.

But I still do.

Harmonic Fractal Convolution.

Great expectations
pink dawn glistens
she stopped for years in 1992
my hot breeze seemed to awaken her.

Pookie and Puck and Dark Man
your friends in need, night visitors.

A madman with stolen phasers
he interviewed the suspects
and fell in love again.

Zapping down the crewmen
forget me not beautiful friend.

Harmonic Fractal Convolution
outside Shadowville
are the castles where
we discussed the catastrophe.

He creates artificial
fractal ice crystals
blind eye for hire
I hunt the sphere of destiny.

Crazy, crashed down
her tits like ripe melons
she says they should
kill the Christ Buddha.

People on the coast
a desperado in green
the rat pack met the wise guys
she is the go-between.

Look at the ocean so silver
watch the black cat run.

Kittens walk on her back
she lay naked, open wide
she has night eyes
a late night itch.

The Dark Man stalks so quiet and bold.

I am by the trees waiting
I feel fear and loathing.

Once a thief
runs
his fingers into her charms
she carried his red mark.

Can't hardly wait
crashed out
city sins and a wide open country.

Broadway runaround
trigger effect
you make me wait forever.

A convoluted ceremony of pleasure
bringing bad things
the human drive
to create new life.

Like mosquitoes we suck and
stuff your dark hungers.

This could be done
many things
but he just don't care
because he can't
fall for that again.

Seems like a nice guy
and may very well be
let time work a slow spell
this can be so easy
just open up.

Coming around again
got the look of love.
Why this story
it's only bad because I know.

What set up
can this accomplish?

How about a new scene
one that don't
involve our distances.

How about a new dream
a couple of free instances
a plagiarized scream.

He got himself
a simple twist of fate,
provides the code words
got the look.

Making the rounds
music, muse and mane.
She's organizing furniture
plain and discarded pain.

She comes late
she comes loud with an echo.

Coming around again
it's funny
the night glistens.

He's a security guard at a
rainbow dream-town storage unit
the sound in the night
she comes late.

I hear footsteps, a simulation
familiar
ringing on wood.

Woodgrain beckons me now at this point
hazel
green
razor
stare
got the look of love for him.

There's a green leafed twig
to let him know the color coded
message
later she comes again.

Coming around again
got that devouring green eyed look again
by candle light
at the storage unit.

My mind's eye sees
sees
coming around again.

-Will Dockery

And Bill Evans... hope you will return to our groups soon.

:)

Will Dockery

Jun 4, 2018, 9:49:52 PM6/4/18
"Bill Evans" wrote in message
> [...]

Good commentary, so... whatever happened to Bill Evans?

Will Dockery

Jan 27, 2019, 10:13:41 PM1/27/19
"Bill Evans" wrote in message
> [...]

And yet... a few weeks later... Bill Evans did vanish.

Will Dockery

May 8, 2019, 6:30:21 PM5/8/19
From the archives.

Peter J Ross

May 8, 2019, 7:01:04 PM5/8/19
In alt.arts.poetry.comments on Wed, 8 May 2019 18:30:09 -0400, Will
Dockery wrote:

> And yet... a few weeks later... Bill Evans did vanish.
>
> From the archives.

He spammed, I reported him for spamming, and his newsadmin banned him
from posting. He was never heard of again.

Bad things happen to net-abusers, Dreckwit.

Do you fancy abusing the net by continuing with your spamming,
Dreckwit?

--
PJR :-)

τὸν οἰόμενον νόον ἔχειν ὁ νουθετέων ματαιοπονεῖ.
- Democritus

Will Dockery

Oct 25, 2019, 4:48:22 AM10/25/19
And Bill Evans... that was a cool guy.

W.Dockery

May 30, 2022, 7:50:14 PM5/30/22
"Bill Evans" wrote in message
>> "Will Dockery" <will_d...@outlook.com> posted the final
> version of "The Ride (Combat Zone).

> Will, I'm not sufficiently educated or experienced in giving
> a useful critique of this poem; I'll bet Mike would do a
> good job of that.

> But it would help me if you could explain a couple of
> things. Asking them will make me look like a silly fool,
> but I'm down with that.

> I look at "Rastas" and think, huh? Does this refer to
> Rastafarians, those mild-mannered pot-smoking laid-back
> folks from Jamaica? Can that be right? What am I missing?

> And what is meant by "black" in "black pigs of poetry"?

I wonder whatever happened to Bill Evans?

Victor H.

Jun 21, 2022, 5:55:16 PM6/21/22
Who is he...?

W.Dockery

Jun 25, 2022, 8:05:17 AM6/25/22
Bill Evans was a regular poster here a few years ago, who suddenly stopped posting.

Victor H.

Aug 13, 2022, 5:40:53 PM8/13/22
Hope he is doing okay....?

W.Dockery

Aug 15, 2022, 8:35:33 PM8/15/22
Not sure, he just vanished one day

W-Dockery

Aug 25, 2022, 9:20:11 PM8/25/22
Bill Evans waa a regular at one time.

General-Zod

Sep 13, 2022, 8:03:02 PM9/13/22
> Bill Evans was a regular at one time.

Sorry to say Bill Evans may have passed away.....

W.Dockery

Sep 15, 2022, 10:44:55 PM9/15/22
Very possible.

W.Dockery

Sep 20, 2022, 5:49:05 AM9/20/22
Evans was a poetry group regular at one time.