Society And Wisdom

1 view

Ilya Shambat

May 26, 2023, 10:52:57 PM5/26/23
Someone once said to me how can I have anything of wisdom to offer if I don't follow society. It took me a long time, but I have a reasoned response to that claim.

Different societies have different things right with them and different things wrong with them. If your society is telling you that you should throw sulfuric acid into the face of a child for going to school then that is a rule that you are obligated to break.

In America there are many societies. The society of Waco, Texas is very different from the society of Seattle. Nobody in America speaks for society because in America there are many societies.

When someone claims to speak for society this must be challenged. The reason is that what we see postulated here is an authority that is unofficial, unelected, unaccountable, unbalanced and unchecked - that as such has nothing to keep it from becoming tyrannical and corrupt. It constitutes an attempt to sneak tyranny and corruption into countries intended to be free. Which then makes it a civic duty to check it.

Will people form societies? I think it inevitable that they will. This human reality must be dealt with as all human realities. Care must be taken that societies do not become tyrannical and corrupt. As governments in the West are correctly subject to accountability, check and balance, so should non-governmental authority. And then the liberty promised by constitutional law will become reality for more people.