PPB: In June and Gentle Oven / Anne Wilkinson

George J. Dance

Jun 3, 2022, 2:38:54 PMJun 3
Penny's Poetry Blog's featured poem for June:
In June and Gentle Oven, by Anne Wilkinson
[...]

Then two in one the lovers lie
And peel the skin of summer
With their teeth
And suck its marrow from a kiss
[...]

https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2012/06/june-gentle-oven.html

George J. Dance

Jun 9, 2022, 4:37:50 PMJun 9
Poor Anne Wilkinson's poem seems to have got buried.

Victor H.

Jun 13, 2022, 4:50:15 PMJun 13
Quite an interesting poem from a poet who is new to me, I thank you for continuing to expose the obscure in poetry history...!

W.Dockery

Jun 15, 2022, 1:25:17 AMJun 15
She deserves better, here's a bump for Anne W.

🙂

George J. Dance

Jun 17, 2022, 6:36:33 PMJun 17
She certainly is not well-known, even in Canada. She died young, at 51,
with just two books published. The second book came out in 1955, so it's
almost as old as I am; it's long been out of print, so thanks to
copyright laws and lack of the internet, there's been little way to
discover her.

I've seen "June" in anthologies, but that's all I read until recently.
This year, though, I found her first chapbook online, and I'll be
blogging a couple more of her poems, probably in August and January or
February.

Zod

Aug 12, 2022, 4:25:35 PMAug 12
Here it comes back to the top...!

George J. Dance

Aug 13, 2022, 5:35:21 PMAug 13
Good timing, Zod. One of the new Wilkinson poems I found will be on blog
next Sunday (not tomorrow, but next week).

Victor H.

Aug 13, 2022, 8:13:52 PMAug 13
Good deal....!

W-Dockery

Aug 15, 2022, 11:05:10 PMAug 15
Bless her heart.

🙂

General-Zod

Aug 17, 2022, 6:20:16 PMAug 17
George J. Dance wrote:

> Poor Anne Wilkinson's poem seems to have got buried.

Outstanding poet, sadly overlooked