Perl Poetry Contest: Results

Sharon Hopkins

Aug 27, 1991, 2:53:42 PM8/27/91
And the winner is...

Dr. Craig Allen Counterman, Ph.D., for his perl poem 'time to party',
included below. As this was the only poem submitted to the contest,
it therefore wins in all relevant categories.

Prizes will be on their way in about a week and a half, if not sooner.

I think I'm retiring from the contest-running business. :-)

--------------------------- cut here ------------------------------

Well, here it is. Naturally, I don't like it as much as 'Ode to my
Thesis'; I don't think I'll ever be that inspired/insane again. It
does something a bit more complex, creating and writing to a file.

ANY RESEMBLANCE TO ACTUAL PERSONS AND EVENTS IS PURELY IMAGINARY.

As poetry: ignore the punctuation.

As perl: run it in /tmp/. It _does_ do something, or attempt to;
namely, open a file and write to it. It is otherwise harmless as far
as I know. It works for me, your milage may vary.

#!/usr/local/src/perl4.003/perl

<<;
done with my thesis

shift @gears;
study($no_more);
send(email, to, join(@the, @party, system));

open(with, ">a happy greeting");
time, to, join (@the, flock(with, $relaxed), values %and_have_fun);
connect(with_old, $friends);
rename($myself, $name = "ilyn");
$attend, local($parties);

pack(food, and, games);
wait; for (it) {;};

goto party;
open Door;
send(greetings, to, hosts, guests);
party:

tell stories;
listen(to_stories, at . length);
read(comics, $philosophy, $games);

seek(partners, $for, $fun);
select(with), caution;
each %seeks, %joy;

$consume, pop @and_food;
print $name .$on .$glass;

$lasers, $shine; while ($batteries) { last;};

time; $to, sleep
sin, perhaps;

$rest,
$till .$next .$weekend;

stephen swann

Aug 28, 1991, 8:17:44 PM8/28/91
In article <1991Aug27.1...@jpl-devvax.jpl.nasa.gov> sha...@devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (Sharon Hopkins) writes:
| .... As this was the only poem submitted to the contest,
|it therefore wins in all relevant categories. .....

|I think I'm retiring from the contest-running business. :-)

Do that, Sharon, and get back to writing and posting poetry. :-)
--
Steve Swann | Speak to me in many voices; make
sw...@acsu.buffalo.edu | them all sound like one... -BOC

Sharon Hopkins

Aug 29, 1991, 12:55:24 PM8/29/91
In article <1991Aug29....@acsu.buffalo.edu> sw...@acsu.buffalo.edu (stephen swann) writes:
>In article <1991Aug27.1...@jpl-devvax.jpl.nasa.gov> sha...@devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (Sharon Hopkins) writes:
>
>Do that, Sharon, and get back to writing and posting poetry. :-)

Okay, but I hardly dare after reading Bill's essay. (I'm glad it got
posted instead of just e-mailed, Bill.) Here's my latest, though it's
not very cheerful.

POEM @ (24+100) LBS

I catch my body whispering,
each fold of flesh, each roll of fat.