Dancehall (23/05/20) May

George J. Dance

May 20, 2023, 4:27:33 AM5/20/23
Dancehall (23/05/20)
topic: May

Blue Rodeo, 5 Days in May
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuUnApNzIz0

George J. Dance

May 20, 2023, 1:31:23 PM5/20/23
On Saturday, May 20, 2023 at 4:27:33 AM UTC-4, George J. Dance wrote:
> Dancehall (23/05/20)
> topic: May

Arcade Fire, Month of May
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxHvMjoos6o

Will Dockery

May 20, 2023, 3:18:38 PM5/20/23
Strolling Through the Park One Day / Barbershop Quartet
https://youtu.be/0DpCKpLQUAw

George J. Dance

May 20, 2023, 5:47:23 PM5/20/23
On Saturday, May 20, 2023 at 3:18:38 PM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
> Strolling Through the Park One Day / Barbershop Quartet
> https://youtu.be/0DpCKpLQUAw

Nice.

Heather Dale - May Queen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KI_9Qvq1HgM

George J. Dance

May 20, 2023, 6:13:27 PM5/20/23
Nelson Eddy - The Merry Merry Month of May
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4tnqYhF6Qw

Will Dockery

May 20, 2023, 8:11:29 PM5/20/23
"It's just a Spring clean for the May Queen." -Led Zeppelin

https://youtu.be/xbhCPt6PZIU

Message has been deleted

Will Dockery

May 21, 2023, 2:24:18 AM5/21/23
Pleasant As May / Dolly Parton
https://youtu.be/DDLmjz4uofo

George J. Dance

May 21, 2023, 5:06:05 PM5/21/23
On Saturday, May 20, 2023 at 8:11:29 PM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
> "It's just a Spring clean for the May Queen." -Led Zeppelin
>
> https://youtu.be/xbhCPt6PZIU

Oh, Will, that is so perfect! "Stairway to Heaven" is a song everyone knows, *and* that no one has listened to for years. As well, since we'll have a problem even getting to an hour, a long song is a bonus.

The connection with May is tenuous, but it's there. I'm thinking of making the connection stronger by framing STH with "May Queen" songs. In fact, I'm thinking of leading into it by putting this song right before it, leading into it:

Robert Plant - The May Queen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OPKSZyRPFQ

Will Dockery

May 21, 2023, 7:41:47 PM5/21/23
"I married Isis on the fifth day of May."

Bob Dylan / Isis
https://youtu.be/Cii3aF2a8oE

George J. Dance

May 21, 2023, 8:53:27 PM5/21/23
On Saturday, May 20, 2023 at 4:27:33 AM UTC-4, George J. Dance wrote:
> Dancehall (23/05/20)
> topic: May

Bee Gees - First of May -- (h/t to MD)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGxDx8ftX1I

George J. Dance

May 21, 2023, 9:25:04 PM5/21/23
On Sunday, May 21, 2023 at 2:24:18 AM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
> Pleasant As May / Dolly Parton
> https://youtu.be/DDLmjz4uofo

Vanessa Redgrave and cast of Camelot, Lusty Month of May
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IQ2y3oGCZQ

George J. Dance

May 21, 2023, 9:26:26 PM5/21/23
Fleet Foxes - Third of May / / Ōdaigahara
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfVfpKfY5PM

George J. Dance

May 21, 2023, 9:44:42 PM5/21/23
I'm not sure whether to use this live video or a lyric video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vrit0H4nwE

George J. Dance

May 21, 2023, 9:47:38 PM5/21/23

George J. Dance

May 21, 2023, 10:36:47 PM5/21/23
Pierce the Veil (feat. Lindsay Stamney), Hold on till May
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZEP9ZG6FqY

George J. Dance

May 22, 2023, 5:22:57 AM5/22/23
Blue Oyster Cult, Then Came the Last Days of May
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdwNnygUFXk

Will Dockery

May 22, 2023, 6:03:57 AM5/22/23
I looked a little bit, but YouTube is tricky on the cell phone.

Will Dockery

May 22, 2023, 6:22:13 AM5/22/23
"Who in this merry merry month of May?"

Leonard Cohen / Who By Fire
https://youtu.be/ilGahIwQEQ0

George J. Dance

May 22, 2023, 9:12:14 AM5/22/23
Oh, excellent.

Liz Phair, May Queen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y732NAZb5tQ

I just played the whole thing, and timed it: 76 minutes, which is as good as one could ask.

Will Dockery

May 22, 2023, 2:37:39 PM5/22/23
I love Liz Phair, or did around thirty years ago.

Don't remember that one, offhand, though.

George J. Dance

May 22, 2023, 10:45:45 PM5/22/23
I wish I could find a better video. A lyric video of the original would be best; I found 3 live performances, but they're all mixed badly and I can't make out her words. It's a placeholder, at least; if a better video ever turns up, I can swap it out.

But I did some reading today and ran into this song: there's only one reference to May in the lyrics, but it's probably pop music's most famous one, so it has to be included:

The Temptations, My Girl
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_CSjcm-z1w

George J. Dance

May 24, 2023, 5:29:45 AM5/24/23
On Saturday, May 20, 2023 at 4:27:33 AM UTC-4, George J. Dance wrote:
> Dancehall (23/05/20)
> topic: May

The May Dancehall has been curated, and is open to the public. Its 18 songs, running 82 minutes, offer a look at the "merry month" from a wide variety of musical genres and styles, from Nelson Eddy to Michael Buble, Dolly Parton to Liz Phair, The Temptations to Arcade Fire.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_uEAOzPGnDH1jd-l17bjReySengRVp7v

Will Dockery

May 25, 2023, 3:32:11 AM5/25/23
It sure turned out better than I expected.

🙂

Will Dockery

May 25, 2023, 3:40:10 AM5/25/23
Sadly, Tina Tfurner passed away yesterday.

This week's Dancehall topic?

https://youtu.be/JvwyUR2x3eI

George J. Dance

May 25, 2023, 9:51:48 AM5/25/23
MD mentioned that, too. Personally, I don't like the idea; I don't think there's enough video online to select from. I can't remember more than five songs. But I remember thinking that about Belafonte, too, originally.

Maybe I'm overthinking it, or maybe I'm too focussed on the YT playlists. The Dancehalls used to be places where we could each post our favorite videos here, and later on fb, and that was it, three to ten songs. There's no reason other than my YT obsession that a Dancehall has to be any more than that. Thanks for bringing it up on a Thursday; there's still some time to think about it.