William Makepeace Thackeray

Will Dockery

Apr 17, 2016, 10:10:02 PM4/17/16
Danny Bee Barrington wrote:

"1930 southwest corner Broadway and 11th Street the Historical Marker says
historic building second floor is where a famous English novelist, poet
William Makepeace Thackeray (1811-1863) slept on his visit to Columbus
Georgia, made during his American tour. The building now occupied by McCoy
Grocery Co..."

Will Dockery

Oct 25, 2019, 4:15:29 AM10/25/19

No updates on this as of yet.

Victor H.

Aug 8, 2022, 5:55:19 PMAug 8
That is quite fascinating..!

Victor H.

Aug 11, 2022, 8:14:35 PMAug 11
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Makepeace_Thackeray

************William Makepeace Thackeray (/ˈθækəri/; 18 July 1811 – 24 December 1863) was a British novelist, author and illustrator. He is known for his satirical works, particularly his 1848 novel Vanity Fair, a panoramic portrait of British society, and the 1844 novel The Luck of Barry Lyndon, which was adapted for a 1975 film by Stanley Kubrick.
************

Poems
The Pigtail
The Mahogany Tree (1847)

W.Dockery

Aug 12, 2022, 2:40:31 PMAug 12
Thanks for the research, Zod.

General-Zod

Aug 12, 2022, 3:18:20 PMAug 12

W-Dockery

Aug 13, 2022, 3:50:12 PMAug 13
Perhaps George Dance can feature one of his poems soon.

George J. Dance

Aug 13, 2022, 4:45:21 PMAug 13
I do have one Thackeray poem on the blog, "The Mahogany Tree," which I'm
very happy to have since it's one of the few secular Christmas poems
I've been happy to present. But I'd rather talk about my wiki.

I know some people complain about that as 'self-serving,' but in fact
the wiki is there as a service to everyone. Case in point: this thread.

Zod's done an excellent job of bringing an overlooked poet to attention,
and googling all over the web to find his bio and a selection of his
poetry. That was a lot of work, and I don't want to denigrate it in any
way.

I do want to point out that one doesn't have to do all that work. All
that someone interested in learning more about Thackeray has to do is go
to one site, Penny's Poetry Pages:

https://pennyspoetry.fandom.com/wiki/William_Makepeace_Thackeray

There you'll find:

(1) a short bio (from the /Short Biographical Dictionary of English
Literature/)
(2) an in-depth bio, much better than the Wikipedia one (from the 1911
/Britannica/)
(3) a critical assessment of his poetry (from /The English Poets/ series)
(4) 2 pictures of him (a portrait photo and a caricature)
(4) 4 readings of Thackeray poems embedded from YouTube)
(5) links to more than 100 of his poems
(6) links to both his collections of poetry, /Ballads/ and /Complete
Poems/ (and to all his novels as well).

You can find all of this elsewhere on the web, but not in one place;
you'd have to google all over the web for it, like poor Zod (and poor
NG) have been having to do.

I've been trying for years to make PPP into a one-stop site for learning
about poets and poetry, I think it's a superior alternative to searching
through the web for it, and I think it's time to start promoting it more
along with, or even above, the blog.

Zod

Aug 13, 2022, 5:55:41 PMAug 13
Hi G.D.

Completely agreed....!

Victor H.

Aug 13, 2022, 6:14:24 PMAug 13
Cool idea....!

Victor H.

Aug 16, 2022, 6:46:10 PMAug 16
Again, I thank....

W.Dockery

Aug 23, 2022, 2:35:18 PMAug 23
Seconded.

W.Dockery

Sep 1, 2022, 3:05:29 PMSep 1
This is all I know at this time about the visit to Columbus Georgia made by W.M.T.

W.Dockery

Sep 4, 2022, 4:33:37 PMSep 4
I see that W.M.T. wasn't very pleased with his tour of Georgia.

W-Dockery

Sep 8, 2022, 1:20:11 AMSep 8
Agreed.

W.Dockery

Sep 10, 2022, 8:02:02 AMSep 10
Interesting guy, thanks.

Victor H.

Sep 21, 2022, 5:00:16 PM (7 days ago) Sep 21
Bein the poetry fan I am it was a great pleasure...