On the Chestnut Street

Ilya Shambat

May 27, 2023, 8:03:57 PM5/27/23
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoH25VUY9nY

There are the city center streets, the high ones, the important ones
With plexi-glass shop windows, adorned by many lights,
But I prefer the quiet ones, the simple single-story ones,
And from their tender names the spirit fills with light.

I'll walk along the Apricot, into the Grape I'll make a turn,
And on the Shady Avenue I'll stand inside the shade
The Cherry and the Pear ones
The Green ones and the Chilly ones
As if to long-gone childhood they carry me away.

And maybe on the Lilac Street and maybe on the Chestnut Street
And if not on these little streets then on the Meadow Street
With my first love I then will meet Unasked for and unheralded
And walking till the midnight there Myself I will not be.

I'll walk along the Apricot, into the Grape I'll make a turn,
And on the Shady Avenue I'll stand inside the shade
The Cherry and the Pear ones The Green ones and the Chilly ones
As if to long-gone childhood they carry me away.

There are the city center streets, the high ones, the important ones
With plexi-glass shop windows, adorned by many lights,
But I prefer the quiet ones, the simple single-story ones,
And from their tender names the spirit fills with light.

I'll walk along the Apricot, into the Grape I'll make a turn,
And on the Shady avenue I'll stand inside the shade
The Cherry and the Pear ones The Green ones and the Chilly ones
As if to long-gone childhood they carry me away.

By Yuri Antonov
Translated from Russian by Ilya Shambat