PPB: The Lonely Hunter / Fiona MacLeod

1 view

George J. Dance

Jul 17, 2022, 12:21:42 PMJul 17
Today's poem on Penny's Poetry Blog:
The Lonely Hunter, by Fiona MacLeod
[...]
Deep in the heart of Summer, sweet is life to me still,
But my heart is a lonely hunter that hunts on a lonely hill.
[...]
https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2022/07/the-lonely-hunter-fiona-macleod.html

W-Dockery

Jul 26, 2022, 9:10:18 AMJul 26
As usual, I learned a lot from your post, George Dance.

For example, that Carson McCullers was directly inspired by the poem, and that Fiona "Was a man, baby!"

And so it goes.

🙂

Victor H.

Jul 26, 2022, 4:40:16 PMJul 26
Of great interest as I am a huge fan of Carson McCullers, Ma Rainey, any artists of this area....

Victor H.

Jul 26, 2022, 4:55:15 PMJul 26
Will Dockery wrote:
> Great choice, George, makes me think of a local girl who made good, Carson McCullers.

> "The Heart is a Lonely Hunter"

They made a heck of a good movie out of it also...!

The Heart is a Lonely Hunter - 1968
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF-r1aOD6Vc

W.Dockery

Jul 26, 2022, 5:25:17 PMJul 26
I remember that one, and Marlon Brando starred with Elizabeth Taylor in the adaptation of "Reflections in a Golden Eye":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28jyqjfpd2s

Victor H.

Jul 28, 2022, 5:20:20 PMJul 28
Will Dockery wrote:

> On Wednesday, July 27, 2022 at 12:24:45 PM UTC-4, Zod wrote:
>>
>> Posted in its entirety for convenience:
>>
>> The Lonely Hunter
>> Green branches, green branches, I see you
>> beckon; I follow!
>> Sweet is the place you guard, there in the
>> rowan-tree hollow.
>> There he lies in the darkness, under the frail
>> white flowers,
>> Heedless at last, in the silence, of these sweet
>> midsummer hours.
>>
>> But sweeter, it may be, the moss whereon he
>> is sleeping now,
>> And sweeter the fragrant flowers that may
>> crown his moon-white brow:
>> And sweeter the shady place deep in an Eden
>> hollow
>> Wherein he dreams I am with him---and,
>> dreaming, whispers, "Follow!"
>> Green wind from the green-gold branches,
>> what is the song you bring?
>> What are all songs for me, now, who no more
>> care to sing?
>> Deep in the heart of Summer, sweet is life to
>> me still,
>> But my heart is a lonely hunter that hunts on
>> a lonely hill.
>> Green is that hill and lonely, set far in a
>> shadowy place;
>> White is the hunter's quarry, a lost-loved hu-
>> man face:
>> O hunting heart, shall you find it, with arrow
>> of failing breath,
>> Led o'er a green hill lonely by the shadowy
>> hound of Death?
>>
>> Green branches, green branches, you sing of
>> a sorrow olden,
>> But now it is midsummer weather, earth-
>> young, sunripe, golden:
>> Here I stand and I wait, here in the rowan-
>> tree hollow,
>> But never a green leaf whispers, "Follow, oh,
>> Follow, Follow!"
>>
>> O never a green leaf whispers, where the
>> green-gold branches swing:
>> O never a song I hear now, where one was
>> wont to sing
>> Here in the heart of Summer, sweet is life to
>> me still,
>> But my heart is a lonely hunter that hunts on
>> a lonely hill.

> Looking at the email address I suspect that this is a forgery ^^^^^

Definitely a forgery, not me...!

W-Dockery

Jul 29, 2022, 1:40:21 PMJul 29
That's what I was thinking.

Rocky Stoneberg

Aug 11, 2022, 8:03:34 PMAug 11
Another read quite excellent....

W-Dockery

Aug 13, 2022, 12:04:31 PMAug 13
Seconded.

George J. Dance

Aug 13, 2022, 2:37:49 PMAug 13
Thanks to you both for bumping it. Fiona has yet to find her audience.

Victor H.

Aug 13, 2022, 5:43:14 PMAug 13
What about the possibility of posting a poem by William Makepeace Thackeray, G.D...?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Makepeace_Thackeray

************William Makepeace Thackeray (/ˈθækəri/; 18 July 1811 – 24 December 1863) was a British novelist, author and illustrator. He is known for his satirical works, particularly his 1848 novel Vanity Fair, a panoramic portrait of British society, and the 1844 novel The Luck of Barry Lyndon, which was adapted for a 1975 film by Stanley Kubrick.
************

Poems
The Pigtail
The Mahogany Tree (1847)

Seems hw's in need of a boost...!

W.Dockery

Aug 14, 2022, 4:47:33 PMAug 14
Good find.

W.Dockery

Aug 31, 2022, 10:10:12 AMAug 31
Michael Pendragon wrote:

> On Monday, August 8, 2022 at 11:18:47 PM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
>
>> Thanks again for proving me point, Pendragon, as you continue to defend and support the forgers and identity thieving trolls.
>>
>> And so it goes.

> Distinguishing impersonation/mockery from forgery/identity theft is not a defense

Since you were caught and admit to doing it to George Dance here, and to others elsewhere, it isn't surprising that you defend impersonating trolls, being one yourself, Pendragon.

HTH and HAND.

Rocky Stoneberg

Sep 2, 2022, 5:51:14 PMSep 2
Will Dockery wrote:
> Great choice, George, makes me think of a local girl who made good, Carson McCullers.

> "The Heart is a Lonely Hunter"

Carson's Blues · Suzanne Vega
Lover, Beloved: Songs from an Evening with Carson McCullers

https://youtu.be/CY9b7-_ZYM8

W-Dockery

Sep 5, 2022, 11:33:44 PMSep 5
Good find.