Two views of writing poetry

George J. Dance

Jul 22, 2022, 2:42:43 PMJul 22
"Philip Larkin would leave half-finished poems in a drawer for decades
until he found the right lines to complete them. Let’s reserve the word
'poet' for writers who respect language enough to do things like that."
https://www.theage.com.au/culture/music/bob-dylan-a-great-poet-a-great-delusion-more-like-it-20220502-p5ahrz.html

"Dumb ass. Real poets can write a poem as easily as some of us think.
In other words, it doesn’t take fucking decades."
https://groups.google.com/g/alt.arts.poetry.comments/c/i7lvIdnUvwU/m/PV9DS2-UAgAJ?hl=en

W-Dockery

Jul 26, 2022, 12:20:16 PMJul 26
"Different strokes for different folks."
-Sylvester Stone

Victor H.

Jul 26, 2022, 4:45:16 PMJul 26
I actually have used both methods..... in poetry.... in art..... and in the video film I worked on for years, never finished... alas...

W-Dockery

Jul 26, 2022, 10:40:18 PMJul 26
Again, it definitely depends on the poem, as you know, some seem to come nearly complete, spontaneous.

Victor H.

Jul 28, 2022, 7:00:24 PMJul 28
The wonderful freedom of poetry....

W-Dockery

Jul 29, 2022, 7:47:55 PMJul 29
Agreed and seconded.

🙂

Zod

Aug 5, 2022, 4:18:10 PMAug 5
Will Dockery wrote:
> Good use of quotes, well put.

> 🙂

Agreed and seconded...

W-Dockery

Aug 7, 2022, 6:30:27 PMAug 7
Depends on the poem, of course.

W.Dockery

Aug 14, 2022, 5:41:13 AMAug 14
Michael Pendragon wrote:

> And then there's the third category...

That's the ones like you, who second hand dreary rhymes and unimaginative themes from 200 year old classics, Pendragon?

We know.