No Jeopardy: This poet shared the bill with a piano-playing dog

1 view

George J. Dance

Aug 10, 2022, 9:53:50 AMAug 10
I haven't noticed NG around lately. For those who've missed their
Jeopardy questions, maybe this will tide you over. So welcome to No
Jeopardy.

This poet once recited before his country's head of government, sharing
the bill with a piano-playing dog.

Victor H.

Aug 10, 2022, 9:05:52 PMAug 10
Good one, I thought maybe Robert Frost but I'm not sure...

George J. Dance

Aug 12, 2022, 2:49:31 AMAug 12
I just gave Ash the correct question, so you get the story. Mind you,
it's one I read years ago, I don't remember the source (I think an old
/Reader's Digest/.) I haven't been able to find a source online, so this
is purely from memory. It's a story that Duncan Campbell Scott liked to
tell:

Scott was a famous Canadian poet, one of the Confederation Group, who
worked as a bureaucrat in federal the Department of Indian Affairs. One
day the Prime Minister, William Lyon Mackenzie King, invited him to a
formal dinner at the PM's residence. Scott expected he'd have to recite
his poetry as after-dinner entertainmnent, but you don't turn down the
PM if you work for him. (There was no tenure for civil servants in those
days.) So Scott went to dinner.

After dinner, everyone withdrew to the main salon. But, rather than
introducing Scott, King had his Irish setter, Pat, brought in. Pat ran
to the grand piano. hopped on the stool, and began banging his paws on
the keyboard and howling. After a few minutes, he stopped, jumped down
again, and was led away.

Then King turned to the poet and said: "All right, Scott. It's your turn
now."

W-Dockery

Aug 12, 2022, 2:19:43 PMAug 12
George J. Dance wrote:

> On 2022-08-12 5:05 a.m., Will Dockery wrote:

>>> I just gave Ash the correct question, so you get the story. Mind you,
>>> it's one I read years ago, I don't remember the source (I think an old
>>> /Reader's Digest/.) I haven't been able to find a source online, so this
>>> is purely from memory. It's a story that Duncan Campbell Scott liked to
>>> tell:
>>>
>>> Scott was a famous Canadian poet, one of the Confederation Group, who
>>> worked as a bureaucrat in federal the Department of Indian Affairs. One
>>> day the Prime Minister, William Lyon Mackenzie King, invited him to a
>>> formal dinner at the PM's residence. Scott expected he'd have to recite
>>> his poetry as after-dinner entertainmnent, but you don't turn down the
>>> PM if you work for him. (There was no tenure for civil servants in those
>>> days.) So Scott went to dinner.
>>>
>>> After dinner, everyone withdrew to the main salon. But, rather than
>>> introducing Scott, King had his Irish setter, Pat, brought in. Pat ran
>>> to the grand piano. hopped on the stool, and began banging his paws on
>>> the keyboard and howling. After a few minutes, he stopped, jumped down
>>> again, and was led away.
>>>
>>> Then King turned to the poet and said: "All right, Scott. It's your turn
>>> now."
>>
>> I'm not very familiar with Scott yet, although I've read about the Confederation Group.
>>
>> This is a good prompt to read some of Duncan Campbell Scott's poetry soon.
>>
>> 🙂

> Yes! That was my hope - to whet the interest in those interested in
> learning more about a new (to them) poet, and it is so good to be
> reminded that such people still exist on the group.

> I'll warn you that Scott has a reputation up here - not a good one - but
> not for his poetry. And, like with Pound, Eliot, Ginsberg, et al, that
> doesn't matter (from my perspective) - as their poetry is all that's
> important about them.

> I'll look on the blog for the most accessible of Scott's poems, and post
> it on the group today, in full.

I don't remember, there are poems by Duncan Campbell Scott on the PPB?

George J. Dance

Aug 25, 2022, 12:37:38 PMAug 25
Yes, a bunch of them; but they all went on years ago, and the best ones
are at the bottom of this thread because they went on first:
https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/search/label/Duncan%20Campbell%20Scott

W-Dockery

Sep 7, 2022, 6:43:23 PMSep 7
George J. Dance wrote:

> I haven't noticed NG around lately.

Nancy Gene goes away for a while when she makes a mistake, then comes back when she thinks it's been forgotten.

For those who've missed their
> Jeopardy questions, maybe this will tide you over. So welcome to No
> Jeopardy.

> This poet once recited before his country's head of government, sharing
> the bill with a piano-playing dog.

..