Has anyone seen this frog model before?

Griff

Mar 23, 2006, 2:30:40 PM3/23/06
I was fiddling around the other day with a waterbomb base and came up
with this model:

http://www.savefile.com/files.php?fid=1786971

I haven't seen anything like it before, and I was wondering if anyone
else has, or if this is really my own work.

Opinions on the model are appreciated, also.

Griff

Spindler of Kittens

Mar 27, 2006, 12:53:58 PM3/27/06

:
: http://www.savefile.com/files.php?fid=1786971
:
: I haven't seen anything like it before, and I was wondering if
anyone
: else has, or if this is really my own work.

It strikes me as odd that you don't know if it's your own work, or
not. Since I can't believe that you really don't know, it sounds
rather like you're just checking to see if you can get away with
claiming credit for someone else's work.....if that isn't the case,
then I'm kind of curious as to why you worded it that way.

: Opinions on the model are appreciated, also.

Does this site require a logon to download? If so, that would explain
why I'm not seeing much. It does say 114 downloads, though.

Griff

Mar 27, 2006, 2:01:07 PM3/27/06
Spindler of Kittens wrote:

> "Griff" <gryph...@netzero.net> wrote in message
> : I was fiddling around the other day with a waterbomb base and came
> up
> : with this model:
> :
> : http://www.savefile.com/files.php?fid=1786971
> :
> : I haven't seen anything like it before, and I was wondering if
> anyone
> : else has, or if this is really my own work.
>
> It strikes me as odd that you don't know if it's your own work, or
> not. Since I can't believe that you really don't know, it sounds
> rather like you're just checking to see if you can get away with
> claiming credit for someone else's work.....if that isn't the case,
> then I'm kind of curious as to why you worded it that way.

Because I am new to designing, and I don't read every single origami
book that's been published, this may be something that someone else has
already come up with that I just haven't seen because I'm not that
well-read when it comes to origami. All I know is that *I* have never
seen it before. What I want to make sure of is that it actually *is* an
original design, and not an inadvertent copy of something someone else
has already done. I don't want to claim ownership of it if it is
something that was already done and published elsewhere, but if nobody
else has seen it, I can be reasonably certain that it hasn't been
created by someone else in the past.

> : Opinions on the model are appreciated, also.
>
> Does this site require a logon to download? If so, that would explain
> why I'm not seeing much. It does say 114 downloads, though.

No, it doesn't require a logon. You should be able to download the .pdf
file that has photos of each step in the model.

Griff

Spindler of Kittens

Mar 28, 2006, 1:50:14 PM3/28/06
"Griff" <gryph...@netzero.net> wrote in message

Ahhh....I see. If you aren't copying, you don't have to worry about
that. There is certainly nothing wrong with having come up with a
design that parallels someone else's design. Sheesh, look at things
like light bulbs, automobiles, music....it's amazing, how often two or
more people will have the same basic idea, and never have any
knowledge of the others.

: > : Opinions on the model are appreciated, also.

: >
: > Does this site require a logon to download? If so, that would
explain
: > why I'm not seeing much. It does say 114 downloads, though.
:
: No, it doesn't require a logon. You should be able to download the
.pdf
: file that has photos of each step in the model.

D'oh! I took another look, and I'd missed the link at the bottom...I
didn't have the window open far enough, and didn't think to scroll
down all the way.

Ahhh, success! Now, to square a sheet of green paper.

Prunefinger

Mar 29, 2006, 11:56:58 AM3/29/06
"Griff" <gryph...@netzero.net> wrote in message
: I was fiddling around the other day with a waterbomb base and came

Ok, I'm folding this, and I'm finding that the directions could be a
tad bit clearer in a couple of places. Mostly, it's that it isn't
100% obvious where a crease should be, especially on the twist fold
for the front legs. Or is it just me? Anyway, until I figure out
where that crease goes, I'm stuck. It would probably help if I wasn't
trying to figure this out at work (heh), with people distracting me
all the time.

Griff

Mar 29, 2006, 12:12:13 PM3/29/06

OK, for the front legs:

- While they're still tucked under in the rabbit-ear, hold the model
with the pointed end towards you and the back legs away from you, with
the rabbit-ears on top.

- Take hold of the point of one of the front legs, and bring it out to
the side, twisting it 90 degrees as you do so, so that it sticks out
from the side of the model.

- Once you have the leg sticking out from the side of the model and have
flattened the fold (which will remain inside that area that you pulled
the leg out from under), take hold of the point again, and this time
twist it towards you 90 degrees, folding it underneath the main part of
the leg, to make the front part of the foreleg.

Does that make sense?

Griff
--
Don't believe everything you think.

Prunefinger

Mar 29, 2006, 1:42:18 PM3/29/06
"Griff" <gryph...@netzero.net> wrote in message

Yes, it does! I'll have to fold another one, to deal with some
carelessness of mine, but this one isn't too bad. I cut down a sheet
of 11x17 20 lb laser printer paper for my first try. Either I need
better paper, or I should work on this at home, without the
distractions....or both.

Griff

Mar 29, 2006, 2:19:37 PM3/29/06

I think it looks better when done with a single-color sheet (same color,
both sides), mostly because some of the folds make it impossible to hide
every speck of the other side's color. It's also fun to fold with very
small squares (say, 1") which makes tiny frogs that you can put pretty
much anywhere. I folded a bunch of those and put them in an artificial
plant pot.

Griff

John Andrisan

Mar 30, 2006, 7:27:36 PM3/30/06
Is there any way I can see the frog without doing a long download? How
about a small picture?
john

John Andrisan

Mar 30, 2006, 7:29:23 PM3/30/06

Griff

Mar 30, 2006, 8:21:33 PM3/30/06
I don't have a website where I can display it, unfortunately. But the
download isn't that long - the file is only 2.6 Mb.

Griff

John Andrisan

Apr 2, 2006, 7:19:19 AM4/2/06
Hmmm, I got 2 posts from one submit?
john

John Andrisan

Apr 2, 2006, 7:20:02 AM4/2/06
Hmmm, 2 posts from 1 submit?
john

Wild Bill Taylor

Oct 1, 2011, 12:47:21 PM10/1/11
On 2006-03-27 14:01:07 -0500, Griff said:

> Because I am new to designing, and I don't read every single origami
> book that's been published, this may be something that someone else has
> already come up with that I just haven't seen because I'm not that
> well-read when it comes to origami. All I know is that *I* have never
> seen it before. What I want to make sure of is that it actually *is* an
> original design, and not an inadvertent copy of something someone else
> has already done. I don't want to claim ownership of it if it is
> something that was already done and published elsewhere, but if nobody
> else has seen it, I can be reasonably certain that it hasn't been
> created by someone else in the past.

Considering the age of origami I doubt that there is anything new under
the sun.