Australia Wins Olympics

Francis A. Miniter

Aug 24, 2008, 5:25:58 PM8/24/08
Really.

Australians took a total of 46 medals. The population of
Australia is 20 million. That is 2.3 medals for each
million of population. No other competitor in the Olympics
came anywhere close to that.

E.g.

USA 0.37
China 0.07
Russia 0.51
G.Britain 0.77
Germany 0.50
France 0.625
So. Korea 0.63
Italy 0.48
Ukraine 0.59
Japan 0.19

Francis A. Miniter

Judith B

Aug 24, 2008, 7:13:00 PM8/24/08

"Francis A. Miniter" <fami...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Oh Francis ... I can't resist jumping in here. NZ did nearly as well: 9
medals and a population of 4 million.
That makes 2.25 medals for evey million of population.

Cheers
Judith

Andycat

Aug 24, 2008, 9:06:31 PM8/24/08

"Judith B" <bre...@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message

Perhaps my math skills are lacking, or my numbers inaccurate, but ...
Jamaica = 2.8 million people, 11 medals = 3.9

Francis A. Miniter

Aug 24, 2008, 9:16:45 PM8/24/08

Oops. I didn't go that far down the list.

Francis A, Miniter

Message has been deleted

Lee Cochenour

Aug 25, 2008, 12:03:09 AM8/25/08
OK, but what about the Bahamas - .33 million people and 2 medals. That is
slightly over 6 medals per million people. This does prove is that island
nations produce the best Olynpic athletes. Must be something in the water.
:)
Bahamas - 6
Jamaica - 3.9
Australia - 2.3
New Zealand - 2.25

Lee
(Who does know that technically, Australia is not an island)

"Andycat" <andyca...@aol.com> wrote in message

Wes Struebing

Aug 25, 2008, 8:09:20 PM8/25/08
On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 21:06:31 -0400, "Andycat" <andyca...@aol.com>
wrote:

Thank you. That was going to be my question - where does Jamaica fall
in this calculation?

<GRIN>
--

Wes Struebing

Jan. 20, 2009 - the end of an error

Wes Struebing

Aug 25, 2008, 8:13:22 PM8/25/08
On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 13:28:49 +1000, Mike Burke <mbu...@pcug.org.au>
wrote:

>On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 11:13:00 +1200, "Judith B" <bre...@xtra.co.nz>
>wrote:

>Kiwis always do well by any measure. Of course, if the expats living
>in Oz were counted in the NZ population, things wouldn't be quite as
>fancy. :-)
>
>But, I'm afraid that the entire modern Olympic concept sickens me.
>Whatever might have been the high-minded ideals of Baron Whatsisface
>(de Coubertin?), the thing is now totally corrupt, and the most
>corrupt of all are the various national Olympic Committee officials
>who spend their lives swanning around the world, First Class all the
>say, taking bribes from candidate countries and pontificating in the
>media about how great they are.
>
>I cringe every time I see ours, which is way too often.

Damn! The world must be ending (again). I agree with you, Mique!

And while I believe that Bolt (of Jamaica) is perhaps the finest
sprinter ever, his posturing really turns me off. Whatever happened
to being a gracious winner? I don't care if he's only 21 or 22.
That's still plenty of time for him to learn some manners.

erilar

Aug 26, 2008, 2:03:38 PM8/26/08
In article <sbi6b49494oi4hog1...@4ax.com>,
Wes Struebing <str...@carpedementem.org> wrote:

> That was going to be my question - where does Jamaica fall
> in this calculation?

Someone posted this yesterday:

> the Bahamas - .33 million people and 2 medals. That is
> slightly over 6 medals per million people. This does prove is that island
> nations produce the best Olynpic athletes. Must be something in the water.
> :)
> Bahamas - 6
> Jamaica - 3.9
> Australia - 2.3
> New Zealand - 2.25

I had saved it and sent it to a friend, but didn't include the
attribution.

--
Mary Loomer Oliver (aka Erilar)

You can't reason with someone whose first line of argument is
that reason doesn't count. --Isaac Asimov

Erilar's Cave Annex: http://www.chibardun.net/~erilarlo

Sudee

Aug 27, 2008, 2:23:54 PM8/27/08
Mike Burke wrote:

> But, I'm afraid that the entire modern Olympic concept sickens me.
> Whatever might have been the high-minded ideals of Baron Whatsisface
> (de Coubertin?), the thing is now totally corrupt, and the most
> corrupt of all are the various national Olympic Committee officials
> who spend their lives swanning around the world, First Class all the
> say, taking bribes from candidate countries and pontificating in the
> media about how great they are.
>
> I cringe every time I see ours, which is way too often.
>

> Mique

The Olympic Committee lawyers have been a real pain in the patootie over the
use of the word "Olympic" in business names here on the Olympic Peninsula. I
knew one business owner (an internet service provider) who changed his
company's name to avoid a lawsuit. The first link is about the author of a
travel guide to the Olympic Peninsula who's been told he can't use the word
Olympic in the title!

http://www.peninsuladailynews.com/article/20071231/NEWS/712310303
http://www.olympicmountainschool.com/keepolympicolympic.htm
http://www.dvorak.org/blog/?p=15360