Licorice Pipes

Phyllis Stone

Feb 22, 2010, 5:16:00 PM2/22/10
I have been reading Louise Penny's books. They take place in a wonderful
little village in Canada although there does seem to be a lot of murder
happening there. There is a pub type place where the inhabitants of the
village will gather and eat and talk. They are always having licorice pipes
( I have no idea why my words turned blue, I am ignoring it) I googled the
pipes and they seem to be pipes made out of licorice. My question is do
Canadians eat that much licorice? Do they really go into pubs and have these
pipes?

Catherine Thompson

Feb 22, 2010, 5:22:14 PM2/22/10
Well, as a Canadian, I can say that I do love licorice, but I really
don't eat that much of it, and I haven't seen a licorice pipe in
*years*. Maybe it's a Quebecois thing.

Catherine

Judith Brenan

Feb 22, 2010, 8:27:36 PM2/22/10

This little detail intrigued me too! It seems such an odd thing to have with
a drink in the evening. Maybe it is just a quirk of Gabri and Olivier. I
have just finished no. 5 in the series, "A brutal telling" and am sad there
will be no more until Louise Penny writes another one. I have become very
wrapped up in the people of Three Pines. I do have a little problem with
Superintendent Gamache though - I keep reading his name as Ganache. Which
leads me to have another piece of chocolate.

Judith in NZ

Dave in Toronto

Feb 23, 2010, 12:01:57 AM2/23/10

I grew up in England and I remember licorice pipes very well. They
were just that, pipes made of liqorice with some red stuff in the bowl
to simulate glowing tobacco. We would usually play with them for a
while, pretending to be grownups, before eating them. I also remember
candy cigarettes, sticks of white candy with a red tip, sold it
packets that resembled real cigarettes. I thought they would be long
gone due to political correctness but apparently not.

Candy cigarettes

http://tinyurl.com/yzl2puk

Licorice pipes

http://www.oldtimecandy.com/licorice-pipes.htm

Dave in Toronto

Rik Shepherd

Feb 23, 2010, 4:45:36 AM2/23/10
Dave in Toronto wrote

> I grew up in England and I remember licorice pipes very well. They
> were just that, pipes made of liqorice with some red stuff in the bowl
> to simulate glowing tobacco. We would usually play with them for a
> while, pretending to be grownups, before eating them.

I think it was usually red (or pink) hundreds-and-thousands.

> I also remember
> candy cigarettes, sticks of white candy with a red tip, sold it
> packets that resembled real cigarettes. I thought they would be long
> gone due to political correctness but apparently not.

They stopped having the red tip years ago, rendering the whole thing totally
uncigarettelike. I don't think they were ever in really realistic cigarette
packs, but the ones that were cheap chocolate wrapped in edible paper were.
Only it wasn't totally realistic, as they were always, iirc, in parodies of
American paper cigarette packs not proper cardboard flip-top packs

Dave in Toronto

Feb 23, 2010, 7:48:55 AM2/23/10
On Feb 23, 4:45 am, "Rik Shepherd"

Yes, as I remember the packs were in the paper American style, they
were familiar to us kids because most of our favorite movies (this was
pre-television days) were American and we could pretend that we we
were tough American gangsters. I also recall chocolate cigars.

Memories, memories......

Dave in Toronto

Jr@Ease

Feb 23, 2010, 10:50:42 AM2/23/10
Once Upon a Midnight Dreary, While Phyllis Stone Pondered, Weak and
Weary, Over Many a Quaint and Curious Forgotten Post, s/he wrote:

>( I have no idea why my words turned blue, I am ignoring it)

Probably got to close to the profanity thread.

John P

Janet

Feb 23, 2010, 9:52:40 AM2/23/10
I, too, remember candy cigarettes, but they were some kind of awful white
sugar stuff with a red-dyed tip, not chocolate.

The candy cigars were chocolate.

Other bizarre candies that I recall were little wax bottles full of some
kind of "cordial."

Annie C

Feb 23, 2010, 6:49:57 PM2/23/10

"Jr@Ease" <do.not.s...@this.address> wrote in message

:-D

Annie

Lauradog

Feb 23, 2010, 10:45:16 PM2/23/10
I remember the candy cigarettes, but not the chocolate cigars. We did
have cigars made of bubble gum, though, complete with the ring. My
favorite candy as a kid were cubes of cinnamon, about the size of dice,
that were coated with granulated sugar on the outside.
Sue D.

Dave in Toronto

Feb 24, 2010, 1:49:52 AM2/24/10

> > Other bizarre candies that I recall were little wax bottles full of some
> > kind of "cordial."

I do recall little chocolate bottles that were filled with actual
liquor. Rum, whiskey etc.

Dave in Toronto

jimbairn

Feb 24, 2010, 3:22:27 AM2/24/10
Chocolate liquers - filled with, supposedly, Grants Whisky, Bailey's
irish Cream, etc. Still avalable though most popular around Christmas time.

JimB

Lauradog

Feb 24, 2010, 11:19:40 AM2/24/10

Shoot! All we got in those little waxy things was Kool-aid.
Sue D.

Jennifer Santo

Mar 1, 2010, 8:29:35 PM3/1/10

On 2/24/10 3:22 AM, in article
7l5hn.44001$Ym4....@text.news.virginmedia.com, "jimbairn"
<j...@jimbarker.net> wrote:

Heh. I remember "discovering" those @ my grandparents' house one Christmas
when I was about ... 6? 7? Might explain my taste for Bailey's now. *G*

--
Jenni :-)

Phyllis Stone

Mar 1, 2010, 10:14:57 PM3/1/10

"Jennifer Santo" <jenn...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

So these licorice pipes are a candy that kids eat. In the pub Inspector
Gamache (Louise Penny Inspector Gamache series) has a scotch and a licorice
pipe. That just seems strange.

Annie C

Mar 1, 2010, 10:38:15 PM3/1/10

"Phyllis Stone" <nob...@msn.com> wrote in message

In Louise Penny's blog, a reader asked her what a licorice pipe is. LP
replied "Oh, what a sheltered upbringing you must have had, little one. A
licorice pipe is a length of black licorice molded to look like a pipe, with
a dab of red candy at the end to look as though it was lit."
http://louisepenny.blogspot.com/2008/03/swift-uplifting-rush.html

Could be that it's a popular candy in Quebec..(though I can't seem to find
any references) and maybe pubs give free candy ;-)

Annie

Dave in Toronto

Mar 1, 2010, 11:57:41 PM3/1/10
On Mar 1, 10:38 pm, "Annie C" <annie_...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "Phyllis Stone" <nob...@msn.com> wrote in message

> > "Jennifer Santo" <jenni...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> >> On 2/24/10 3:22 AM, in article
> >> 7l5hn.44001$Ym4.24...@text.news.virginmedia.com, "jimbairn"
> Annie- Hide quoted text -

I have ever connected licorice pipes with pubs and drinking. In my
memory banks they were strictly candies for kids who liked to ape the
ways of adults.

Dave in Toronto

Nancy2

Mar 2, 2010, 12:09:24 PM3/2/10

> wrapped up in the people of Three Pines. I do have a little problem with
> Superintendent Gamache though - I keep reading his name as Ganache. Which
> leads me to have another piece of chocolate.
>
> Judith in NZ

Me, too. I feel your pain.....>;-)

N.

Dave in Toronto

Mar 2, 2010, 2:21:30 PM3/2/10
> Dave in Toronto- Hide quoted text -

.....ever should have been never

nanna...@gmail.com

Feb 4, 2016, 3:51:22 AM2/4/16
I can imagine licorice might be kinda good with scotch or any other whiskey.

kelle...@gmail.com

Jun 29, 2018, 10:33:04 AM6/29/18
Yes, they are very cute old-fashioned looking pipes and available on line. But must be a British thing...I have never seen one for sale in the US.

ramesh....@gmail.com

Jul 31, 2018, 4:36:45 PM7/31/18
have just stumbled upon Louise Penny and now halfway into one of her books..."The Cruellest Month" and yes...got intrigued by licorice pipes...:):) ...now i know what is....:):)

mog...@hotmail.com

Aug 12, 2018, 3:33:09 PM8/12/18
On Thursday, February 4, 2016 at 3:51:22 AM UTC-5, nanna...@gmail.com wrote:
> I can imagine licorice might be kinda good with scotch or any other whiskey.

Ouzo is a clear-colored drinkable (alcoholic) version.

mye...@gmail.com

Dec 20, 2018, 10:44:00 PM12/20/18
I stumbled across your question while searching in vain for Y&S Licorice Cigars or Pipes which were quite popular with children when I was one in the 1960s/70s. I believed that their Licorice Pipes were since discontinued. Now, so too, the Licorice Cigars.
No more.
Another brand purchased by Hershey and production halted. Not enough volume, I suppose, but there is local demand in Nova Scotia. A local candy shop gets occasional inquiries, particularly around Christmastime.
If only someone knew the exact recipe...

Carol Dickinson

Jan 3, 2019, 9:47:03 PM1/3/19

> Well, as a Canadian, I can say that I do love licorice, but I really
> don't eat that much of it, and I haven't seen a licorice pipe in
> *years*. Maybe it's a Quebecois thing.
>
> Catherine

I love licorice, even licorice tea. Unfortunately while its not widely known, it raises blood pressure, so its counter productive to enjoy it and then take medication to fight its effects. Good N Plentys used to be everywhere in our house. Even the dog loved them. I'd know if hubby had left some down at dog level, because I could follow the trail of black dog drool on the floor. Nothing quite as icky to scrub up. Never saw a licorice pipe though.