Lawyer Books

David Johnston

Jun 24, 2008, 8:59:58 PM6/24/08
There are great heaping huge mounds of American lawyer books (which
comprise the most common subgenre of mystery these days, I think). Are
there any British lawyer books (not counting Witness for the
Prosecution).
Message has been deleted

Thelma Roslyn Lubkin

Jun 24, 2008, 11:10:37 PM6/24/08
David Johnston <da...@block.net> wrote:
: There are great heaping huge mounds of American lawyer books (which

: comprise the most common subgenre of mystery these days, I think). Are
: there any British lawyer books (not counting Witness for the
: Prosecution).

Sarah Caudwell's series featuring a British law office as well as
Professor [of law] Hilary Tamar whose sex is never revealed.

--thelma

Annie C

Jun 24, 2008, 11:30:35 PM6/24/08

"Mike Burke" <mbu...@pcug.org.au> wrote in message
| On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 00:59:58 GMT, David Johnston <da...@block.net>
| Great heaping huge mounds of them, notably the Rumpole series by John
| Mortimer.
|
| Mique

I thought first of Rumpole too.. ditto on that recommendation.. and second
of Frances Fyfield. She herself is a British criminal attorney, and she
writes about the law and UK courtrooms.. You might try "Blood from Stone,"
or her Helen West (a London Prosecutor) series
http://booksnbytes.com/authors/fyfield_frances.html#QS878 (not sure if this
list is up to date.)

A few more.. Natasha Cooper writes a legal series featuring QC Trish
Maguire. I believe Maguire specializes in child abuse cases... Martin
Edwards has the Harry Devlin series set in Liverpool --" a charming but
down-at-heel Liverpool solicitor." Doesn't spend all that much time in the
courtroom, more into sleuthing. but Edward's is a very fine writer.
Unfortunately, this Devlin series may be difficult to find..

(You're right. There do seem to be many more American legal mysteries/ or
thrillers. Wonder why that is?)

Annie

David Matthews

Jun 25, 2008, 12:38:19 AM6/25/08

"Annie C" <cher...@nevermindspring.com> wrote in message

If anyone is interested in period pieces they may want to take a look at
the_ Martin Hewitt_ stories of _ Arthur Morrison_. The stories were
published by Strand Magazine as a sort of contrast to the Sherlock Holmes
stories (believe it or not there were people in Victorian times who did not
like the eccentricities of Holmes). Hewitt was a lawyer with a keen
analytical mind like Holmes but there the resemble ended - Hewitt was short
and stocky, very jovial and always co-operated with the police - the stories
are still readily available and can be read on-line at Gutenberg.
http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/webbin/gutbook/lookup?num=11252

Dave in Toronto

Stanley Moore

Jun 25, 2008, 10:46:10 AM6/25/08

"Annie C" <cher...@nevermindspring.com> wrote in message

IIRC Edmund Crispin wrote lawyer books in the UK. Take care
--
Stanley L. Moore
"The belief in a supernatural

barbara fister

Jun 25, 2008, 10:55:21 AM6/25/08
Stanley Moore wrote:

> IIRC Edmund Crispin wrote lawyer books in the UK. Take care

And Cyril Hare, many years ago.

barfly

A R Pickett

Jun 25, 2008, 11:02:56 AM6/25/08
David inquired - > There are great heaping huge mounds of American lawyer

Martin Edwards' Harry Devlin series - latest is WATERLOO SUNSET

--
A R Pickett aka Woodstock

"Sometimes the facts threaten the truth"
Amos Oz, prize winning Israeli author

Read my book reviews at:
http://www.booksnbytes.com/reviews/_idx_ws_all_byauth.html

Now blogging!
http://www.journalscape.com/woodstock/

Remove lower case "e" to respond

David Johnston

Jun 25, 2008, 2:13:36 PM6/25/08

Oh that's easy enough to answer. American lawyers are a glut on the
market. Since lawyer books are generally written by lawyers or
ex-lawyers...

Cece

Jun 25, 2008, 4:51:30 PM6/25/08

Sara Woods wrote 53 books featuring Antony Maitland, barrister.

Lauradog

Jun 25, 2008, 11:36:34 PM6/25/08
I think I burned out on lawyer books reading all the Perry Mason's as a
teenager. Now I rarely pick one up. I think the last one that I read
and enjoyed was "Presumed Innocent". I know, I know, I'm missing out on
some really good books. But there are so many good books, and time is
fleeting.
Sue D.

Janet

Jun 26, 2008, 9:37:06 AM6/26/08

"Stanley Moore" <smoo...@comcast.net> wrote in message

My memory may well be failing, but I only remember the wonderful Gervase Fen
series. Fen was a professor. Oxford.

Janet

Jun 26, 2008, 9:40:31 AM6/26/08

"Lauradog" <laur...@gmail.com> wrote in message

I like Kate Wilhelm's lawyer series featuring Barbara Whatsername and her
father, also a lawyer.

Stanley Moore

Jun 26, 2008, 10:49:49 AM6/26/08

"Janet" <box...@maine.rr.com> wrote in message

My memory must be slipping.... What I had in mind was the lawyerly book
called Smallbones Deceased. Take care

curmudgeon

Jun 26, 2008, 4:55:42 PM6/26/08
"It's not so much the rules of Law,