R.I.P. Shirley Rousseau Murphy, 94, in Sept. 2022 (fantasy/mystery writer: "Joe Grey" cat series)

Lenona

Jan 1, 2023, 10:35:12 PM1/1/23
(Sylvia Engdahl won a Newbery Honor for "Enchantress from the Stars.")

"It is with deep sadness that I inform her readers that Shirley passed away at the age of 94 on September 23, 2022. As her longtime friend I will miss her more than I can express, and I know that she will be missed by the many people who took joy in her wonderful books. Joe Grey will keep her memory alive long after her passing, for his stories can be read over and over and will reach countless new readers in the future. She was also the author of 12 other adult or Young Adult novels plus 15 books for children. Her creativity was central to her life, and the world will benefit from it for many years to come." ---Sylvia Engdahl, Webmaster

Murphy was also a painter & sculptor.

Most of what I posted in 2018:

http://www.srmurphy.com
(her site, with photo)

https://www.encyclopedia.com/arts/educational-magazines/murphy-shirley-rousseau-1928
(includes resume, bio and booklist)

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/m/shirley-rousseau-murphy/
(book covers)

"Their cats have included a tom that twice warned them of burglars in
the middle of the night by growling, and a cat that liked to ride
horseback."

https://www.bookseriesinorder.com/shirley-rousseau-murphy/
(includes bio and booklist)

https://www.google.com/search?q=shirley+rousseau+murphy&source=lnms&tbm=bks&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwio1pOguJfbAhUFllQKHZJ8DXQQ_AUIECgB&biw=1266&bih=813
(some synopses)

https://www.google.com/search?ei=Zw4DW5XVO8ia0gK4mLXgAQ&q=shirley+rousseau+murphy+kirkus&oq=shirley+rousseau+murphy+kirkus&gs_l=psy-ab.3..33i160k1l2.853.2253.0.2444.7.7.0.0.0.0.157.714.0j5.5.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..2.4.582...0j0i67k1j33i21k1.0.Rc-mjHsZso4
(Kirkus reviews)

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/7993.Shirley_Rousseau_Murphy
(reader reviews)

https://www.google.com/search?q=shirley+rousseau+murphy&tbm=vid&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjvv_6mtpfbAhUKBnwKHYrMB9cQ_AUIECgB&biw=1266&bih=813&dpr=1
(videos - I don't know if she's in any of them)

From Contemporary Authors:

"Wind Child" is perhaps the most successful of Murphy's juvenile
titles. With drawings, sculpture, and prose, it tells the story of
Reeshie, daughter of the east wind, who yearns for companionship with
a kindred spirit. "With elements of myth and folklore, this is a
satisfying romantic story enhanced by Leo and Diane Dillon's elegant,
other worldly illustrations," observed Linda Perkins in Booklist.
"This will delight fairy tale fans, inject fine art into climate
studies, and invite students to write and/or illustrate their own
myths."...

Murphy told CA: "Good fantasy grows from the most elemental within us,
from the most basic human strengths and fears, and needs; and the best
fantasy is laced with wit, with the warmth of humor and camaraderie
that makes us human. All these elements together pull us into a story,
whether we are writing a new work or lost in the work of another."

(end of excerpts)

WRITINGS:

FOR JUVENILES

White Ghost Summer, illustrated by Barbara McGee, Viking (New York,
NY), 1967.
The Sand Ponies, illustrated by Erika Weihs, Viking (New York, NY),
1967.

Elmo Doolan and the Search for the Golden Mouse, illustrated by Fritz
Kredel, Viking (New York, NY), 1970.
(With husband, Patrick J. Murphy) Carlos Charles, Viking (New York,
NY), 1971.
Poor Jenny, Bright as a Penny, Viking (New York, NY), 1974.
The Grass Tower, illustrated by Charles Robinson, Atheneum (New York,
NY), 1976.
(Contributor) Sylvia Engdahl, editor, Anywhere, Anywhen, Atheneum (New
York, NY), 1976.
Silver Woven in My Hair, illustrated by Alan Tiegreen, Atheneum (New
York, NY), 1977.
The Flight of the Fox, illustrated by Don Sibley, Atheneum (New York,
NY), 1978.
The Pig Who Could Conjure the Wind, illustrated by Mark Lefkowitz,
Atheneum (New York, NY), 1978.
Soonie and the Dragon, illustrated by Susan Vaeth, Atheneum (New York,
NY), 1979.

(With Patrick J. Murphy) Mrs. Tortino's Return to the Sun, illustrated
by Susan Russo, Lothrop (New York, NY), 1980.
Tattie's River Journey, illustrated by Tomie de Paola, Dial (New York,
NY), 1983.
Valentine for a Dragon, illustrated by Kay Chorao, Atheneum (New York,
NY), 1984.
(With Welch Suggs) Medallion of the Black Hound, HarperCollins (New
York, NY), 1989.

The Song of the Christmas Mouse, illustrated by Donna Diamond,
HarperCollins (New York, NY), 1990.
Wind Child, illustrated by Leo Dillon and Diane Dillon, HarperCollins
(New York, NY), 1999.

"CHILDREN OF YNELL" SERIES

The Ring of Fire, Atheneum (New York, NY), 1977.
The Wolf Bell, Atheneum (New York, NY), 1979.

The Castle of Hape, Atheneum (New York, NY), 1980.
Caves of Fire and Ice, Atheneum (New York, NY), 1980.
The Joining of the Stone, Atheneum (New York, NY), 1981.

"DRAGONBARDS" SERIES

Nightpool, HarperCollins (New York, NY), 1985.
The Ivory Lyre, HarperCollins (New York, NY), 1987.
The Dragonbards, HarperCollins (New York, NY), 1988.

"JOE GREY" SERIES; MYSTERIES

Cat on the Edge, HarperPrism (New York, NY), 1996.
Cat under Fire, HarperPrism (New York, NY), 1997.
Cat Raise the Dead, HarperPrism (New York, NY), 1998.
Cat in the Dark, HarperPrism (New York, NY), 1999.

Cat to the Dogs, HarperCollins (New York, NY), 2000.
Cat Spitting Mad, HarperCollins (New York, NY), 2001.
Cat Laughing Last, HarperCollins (New York, NY), 2002.
Cat Seeing Double, HarperCollins (New York, NY), 2003.
Cat Fear No Evil, HarperCollins (New York, NY), 2004.
Cat Cross Their Graves, HarperCollins (New York, NY), 2005.
Cat Breaking Free, HarperCollins (New York, NY), 2005.
Cat Deck the Halls, Morrow (New York, NY), 2006.
Cat Pay the Devil, Morrow (New York, NY), 2007.