An Improving Writer...

Willow

Oct 23, 2008, 10:32:44 PM10/23/08
As we all know, some writers do not age well. Each new book
represents a decline. The example I use most often is Patricia
Cornwell, who's first five books were good and then steadily
declined. The last seems to be worst than the ones before.

It is nice to see a writer improve.

I did not like the first Kathy Reiichs book. While we kept getting
them, I put off reading, expecting a disappointment. Recently, I
returned to her books starting with "Fatal Voyage" and working forward
to the newer titles. A very nice surprise, the books are steadily
improving to the point where "Break No Bones" is a treat and I am
looking forward to the remaining titles.

Willow

Lynn Allen

Oct 24, 2008, 10:44:00 AM10/24/08
On 2008-10-23 19:32:44 -0700, Willow <pang...@telus.net> said:

> I did not like the first Kathy Reiichs book. While we kept getting
> them, I put off reading, expecting a disappointment. Recently, I
> returned to her books starting with "Fatal Voyage" and working forward
> to the newer titles. A very nice surprise, the books are steadily
> improving to the point where "Break No Bones" is a treat and I am
> looking forward to the remaining titles.

I have to agree with you on Reichs, Willow. Her first books were good
enough to keep me coming back (I'm a forensics fan) but the improvement
in her writing is noticeable. Now if we can just keep her from sending
Tempe into dangerous places alone. ;)

Lymaree

ggg

Oct 24, 2008, 6:07:17 PM10/24/08
On Oct 24, 10:44 am, Lynn Allen <l...@semiotics.com> wrote:

I am with Boucher in judging authors by their later books after the
first (made it, didn't come up to standards, won an award, etc). She
is unusual in that she mixes her home venues. Perhaps that fires her
inspiration. Patricia Cornwell just couldn't get by on poor writing
skills. She is sort of like these flash-in-the -pan singers who come
along, make a lot of money (they think that shows how great they are),
don't listen to advice from experts and professionals, ("I make more
money than you do why should I listen to you?") don't grow, and wonder
suddenly why they aren't being summoned to perform any more. Do you
remember the wunderkind Charlotte Church? Sang for everyone. Recorded
everywhere and sold like hot cakes. I saw right away she didn't
really know how to sing. A conductor friend of mine who worked with
her and the London Philharmonic tried to help her. See the quote
above. Kathy Reichs writes well. She pays her dues. She'll be fine.
Barry

Judith B

Oct 27, 2008, 7:49:16 PM10/27/08

That is interesting to hear. I read the first one or two and then gave up
on them. I will give them another try.
Regards
Judith

Janet

Oct 28, 2008, 10:52:48 AM10/28/08
Judith B wrote:
> That is interesting to hear. I read the first one or two and then
> gave up on them. I will give them another try.
> Regards
> Judith

I am still not a huge fan, but I do agree with everyone else that her
writing has become significantly better. I can't remember when it
was...maybe around the fourth or fifth one. (The airplane crash and the
Guatemala project were firmly in the "improved" category.)