Which DVD audio setting: 5.1 EX or 5.1 ES?

ES or EX

Jan 30, 2004, 3:17:26 PM1/30/04
I sometimes turn on subtitles in movie DVDs but I also sometimes notice
more than one choice for English Audio. "Dolby Digital 51. EX" or
"DTS 5.1 ES" are two that I wrote down from one DVD.

What's the difference and how am I supposed to know which to choose for
my system?

If I don't choose one or the other, which is the default?

Thank you .

--
Sent by xanadoog from yahoo element from com

HooBlue

Feb 2, 2004, 11:26:58 AM2/2/04
u6719...@spawnkill.ip-mobilphone.net (ES or EX) wrote in message news:<l.107549384...@dyn-129-64-56-229.biochem.brandeis.edu>...

> I sometimes turn on subtitles in movie DVDs but I also sometimes notice
> more than one choice for English Audio. "Dolby Digital 51. EX" or
> "DTS 5.1 ES" are two that I wrote down from one DVD.
>
> What's the difference and how am I supposed to know which to choose for
> my system?
>
> If I don't choose one or the other, which is the default?
>
> Thank you .

Dolby Digital EX and DTS ES are improvements on Dolby Digital and DTS
respectively. Most current home cinema systems have built in Dolby
Digital and/or DTS decoders. These use 5.1 channels (front centre,
front left, front right, rear left and rear right, plus a subwoofer).
However, Dolby Digital EX and DTS ES are not infact 5.1 but rather
6.1. As well as the normal 5.1 channels, they add a sixth rear centre
channel. This can be either matrixed (ie the two rear speakers
produce the sound) or discrete (ie you have a seperate rear centre
speaker). Unless your hardware has a Dolby Digital EX or DTS ES
decoder you won't be able to hear the extra channel anyway. Instead
the system will automatically default back to normal Dolby Digital 5.1
or DTS 5.1. There aren't too many dvd's available with 6.1 sound
tracks on at the moment. I can only think of about 6 UK titles
(including both LOTR films, Blade 2 and Star Wars).

Hope I've been of some help!