Kill Bill

Island Roamer

May 6, 2004, 9:11:20 PM5/6/04
I've got the Kill Bill Volume One soundtrack, but (of course) a great
piece of music from the movie is missing.

I want to get the music that is used in the snow covered japanese
garden during the showdown between The Bride and O-Ren Ishii.
Everything slows down and then music starts. Clapping at first then a
spanish guitar that builds to the fight scene.

Anyone know the name of this music?

Island Roamer

"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three
elements: energy, matter and enlightened self-interest."

- G'Kar

Jay G

May 6, 2004, 9:28:03 PM5/6/04
Island Roamer <island...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I've got the Kill Bill Volume One soundtrack, but (of course) a
> great piece of music from the movie is missing.
>
> I want to get the music that is used in the snow covered japanese
> garden during the showdown between The Bride and O-Ren Ishii.
> Everything slows down and then music starts. Clapping at first then
> a spanish guitar that builds to the fight scene.
>
> Anyone know the name of this music?

Um, that's on the Vol 1 soundtrack. It's "Don't Let Me Be
Misunderstood" by Santa Esmeralda.

-Jay

campbell

May 7, 2004, 7:39:37 AM5/7/04
Yeh, its song number 10 and its 10 minutes long so the section you
want is probably in the middle somewhere....I think the best song
thats in the film is when Elle Driver's whistling that tune in the
corridor....thats not on the soundtrack though, so I'm not gonna buy
it...or maybe I will....I dunno.

M7N

May 7, 2004, 8:36:26 AM5/7/04
track 4: twisted nerve - Bernard Herrmann.
You could buy the Ost.
It's fantastic.
Gio

campbell wrote:

> ...I think the best song
> thats in the film is when Elle Driver's whistling that tune in the

> corridor....thats not on the soundtrack though....

Todd

May 7, 2004, 11:19:37 AM5/7/04
Hey:

Since your question has already been answered, I just wanted to make a
comment about a particular music cue in "Kill Bill, Vol. 1".

Did anyone notice that Tarantino actually used a few seconds of the
title theme from the TV show "Ironsides" as sting music? [Note: I
saw the movie on an airplane, and can't remember the specific scene it
was used in...]

While I thought it was an interesting - and undoubtedly hip - choice,
it hit me like a ball-peen hammer and totally took me out of the movie
for a few seconds.

Consequently, this is what I remember most about the soundtrack. I'm
still deciding whether I liked it...

Todd
www.wonderninja.com
Buy and Sell YOUR Personalized Services!

Island Roamer

May 7, 2004, 2:35:50 PM5/7/04

Thanks to everyone for your quick responses.

I was impatient and didn't give "Don't Let Me Be
Misunderstood" a chance. Too many times the soundtrack released is a
shadow of the music of the film - I flinched.

"Twisted Nerve" is an eerie/humourous piece, Tarantino did a great job
in selecting the music for this movie. The Ironside piece was used
twice (I think) during dramatic close ups.

Another choice selection is "Battle Without Honor Or Humaity" -
Tomoyasu Hotei. It's used when O-ren Ishii and her lieutenants are
strutting down the hall in the restaurant before the big fight with
the Crazy 88s.

Jay G

May 7, 2004, 8:01:14 PM5/7/04
Todd <to...@wonderninja.com> wrote:
> Hey:
>
> Since your question has already been answered, I just wanted to
> make a comment about a particular music cue in "Kill Bill, Vol. 1".
>
> Did anyone notice that Tarantino actually used a few seconds of the
> title theme from the TV show "Ironsides" as sting music? [Note: I
> saw the movie on an airplane, and can't remember the specific scene
> it was used in...]

Yep, it's on the soundtrack as well. This wasn't meant as a reference
to Ironside, however, but a reference to the kung-fu film "Five Fingers
of Death," which uses the same excerpt whenever the protagonist
is about to fight (i.e. in the same context Tarantino used it).

http://tarantino.webds.de/tarantino/movie/killbill/articles/references-guide.htm

-Jay

Todd

May 10, 2004, 12:16:02 PM5/10/04
Jay:

Thanks for the interesting follow-up - I had no idea. It continues to
amaze me the depth of info you can discover on Usenet.

Todd
www.wonderninja.com