Seeking cover of "Across The Universe" that was on TV and in Film

Charles Jones

Mar 7, 2004, 7:16:43 PM3/7/04
A few months ago, on the TV show "Joan of Arcadia", there was an
episode where they played a cover version of Lennon/McCartney's
"Across the Universe", and it was just beautiful. But, I assumed it
was just for that episode. Then I just caught the movie
Pleasantville, and at the end they played "Across the Universe", and I
think -- I'm not quite sure -- I think it was the same cover that was
on Joan Of Arcadia. If so, can anyone tell me who did the cover
version, the artist that is, and if I can find it on a CD?

Interestingly, interviews with Lennon indicated that he was never
happy with any of his recordings of the song, and I have to say that
somehow, in some subtle way, the cover is better than the various
Beatles versions I've heard. (And that's rare, that a Beatles cover
is better than the original.)

Thanks,
CJ

jayembee

Mar 8, 2004, 1:18:24 AM3/8/04
charles...@yahoo.com (Charles Jones) wrote:

>A few months ago, on the TV show "Joan of Arcadia", there was an
>episode where they played a cover version of Lennon/McCartney's
>"Across the Universe", and it was just beautiful. But, I assumed it
>was just for that episode. Then I just caught the movie
>Pleasantville, and at the end they played "Across the Universe", and I
>think -- I'm not quite sure -- I think it was the same cover that was
>on Joan Of Arcadia. If so, can anyone tell me who did the cover
>version, the artist that is, and if I can find it on a CD?

It was done by Fiona Apple. I don't know what CD it's on, but a music
video of it is included on the DVD release of PLEASANTVILLE, which in
this wacky world of ours would probably cost less than whichever CD of
hers the song is on.

I have to agree with you, though, that it's a really nice cover.

-- jayembee

Mike

Mar 8, 2004, 12:16:34 PM3/8/04
jayembee <jayembe...@snurcher.com> wrote in message news:<io3o401u190mb3vnq...@4ax.com>...

It's on the Pleasantville soundtrack CD.

Mike